So what in fates is the most rage inducing for you (gameplay wise)

Locke087

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally skills that clearly have annoying benefits for the enemy and minuscule effects for your characters, i.e. lunge, counter, life and death, etc. A hypothetical skill that takes this to the extreme would be something like Selfdestruct - Def -5, but deals 35 damage to whoever killed this character. Something that would be a nightmare to deal with but have virtually no effect for the player, in classic anyway. I'm pretty early into Conquest, please don't tell me there is something like this later on...

I strongly disagree with Lunge being on this list! I've found it an extremely valuable tactical tool for repositioning either my attacking unit or the enemy. You can even use it to cross walls and other gaps you couldn't normally.

I agree with the general point, mind. I especially loathed how in Awakening, enemies with Counter could attack you, and you would strike them back and kill yourself. Fortunately they made it so Counter only activates against attacks initiated by the second party in Fates, though I've still foolishly killed myself by forgetting that an enemy had it even so.

Actually, that's one frustration I do have with the game: I wish the combat preview would show you Counter and similar skills in some way.

Something that I didn't like from Awakening and carried onto fates: when moving healers in the range of another unit (not at Max HP) for pair-up they automatically heal instead of pairing. This costs a reset. I know this arises from carelessness but... it doesn't change the fact that it's frustrating when the healer ends up ending their turn within enemy range, particularly if having other unit around to use shelter / Azura to dance isn't viable for survival.

Also, Stonebornes with Lunge in Invasion 3, Conquest Lunatic. I've endured and can understand wyvern lords with lunge, master ninjas with lunge, automatons with 3-range bows with lunge, but Stoneborne with Lunge, given their 4 movement and 5 attack range, on top of their high HP makes them extremely challenging to deal with. The fact that there's multiple of them close to one another makes eliminating them very difficult. Honestly w/o DLC or Streetpass grinding and such I think Invasion 3 in Conquest Lunatic is more difficult than the Endgame...

And I thought Invasion 2 was annoying enough with 5 status-debuffing maids and 4 merchants paired up at the bottom, and having to beat the map in 4 turns to prevent reinforcements from coming in, which includes even more maids and merchants along with great knights, and that's just the bottom...

Hexing Rod and Enfeeble kills me. Also Savage Blow, Poison Strike, and Grisly Wound.

At least Enfeeble wears off after awhile. That Hexing Rod is total bullshit. I know it's got a low hit rate and all but the enemy only has to get lucky once/twice to screw you over and the enemy gets lucky all the damn time in this game.

[spoiler=Conquest endgame]

This is one of the few difficult Endgames out there and I would like it... if you were allowed to save.

Because I can't start the map again right away, getting used to it and making a strategy takes way more time and is generally more difficult than it should be. Adding to that, while 27 is thankfully short, you still have to do it every time you game over at Endgame and there's a random factor with the infinite range entrap staves, so I end up restarting that one a lot too because the wrong units get warped to the wrong place(Azura getting warped to anywhere other than the bottom right room).

I think I get why they don't let you save, with how My Castle works, but there should've been some sort of "temporary save" that lets you start right at Endgame if you game over there.

This is one of the few difficult Endgames out there and I would like it... if you were allowed to save.

Because I can't start the map again right away, getting used to it and making a strategy takes way more time and is generally more difficult than it should be. Adding to that, while 27 is thankfully short, you still have to do it every time you game over at Endgame and there's a random factor with the infinite range entrap staves, so I end up restarting that one a lot too because the wrong units get warped to the wrong place(Azura getting warped to anywhere other than the bottom right room).

I think I get why they don't let you save, with how My Castle works, but there should've been some sort of "temporary save" that lets you start right at Endgame if you game over there.

I just wish I could have saved because chapter 27 is so easy I got sick of doing it, I know other Fire Emblem games have done something similar (FE 7 fire dragon) but it this case the second part was way harder so it just felt like the game was wasting my time

this is one of those moments that makes it really BS that battle saves are locked to Casual mode. My sympathies, mate.

In one of the paralouges, they brought back the bad npc a.i and now I think there's 6 of em so these genociding villagers keep

killing themselves

I'm not sure if you even get anything for saving them. I want to let them all die and clear out the gene pool.

I have another pet peeve. It has to do with one of the supports but I consider it a gameplay mechanic, regardless.

In Hana and Hayato's B-rank support, Hayato's family has been sending back purses with flowers on them or some shit. Hana asks for one with cherry blossoms to give to Sakura because of her name. Acceptable. She then requests one for Subaki with a camellia print on it. Pause. Subaki does not mean camellia. Tsubaki means camellia. Why did you change his name if you were going to keep the same meaning attached to it?

Like, it just really grinds my gears with that one change.

I agree with the whole RNG-is-so-screwed complaint that everyone else has, but personally, it's the seals that are killing me. I get that Awakening was super easy if you played it on Normal and being able to max out characters helped that (I've dedicated hours to maxing out units because it's so satisfying), but not being able to reset levels in Fates causes me so much anxiety. As nice as it is that I can get base class skills simply from leveling up in a final class, the fact that I can't reset once I hit level 20 in a final class is rage-inducing. I have to be more careful about when I reclass, what I reclass to, who deserves the time and effort to get reclassed several times. I have restarted whole chapters because a character gained far too many levels for my liking and I was worried that I wouldn't end up with the skills I wanted for them endgame.

And yes, Eternal Seals exist, but come on, they're basically 20% out of your wallet unless you have the DLC map that allows you to get rich quick.

(And yes, I can buy skills, but 1) I can't guarantee that I'll get the skill I want for each character I'm leveling up 2) There are five characters that mostly everyone uses and I don't really need skills for them because they tend to have access to pretty great skills themselves)

I dislike how pointless skill-based eugenics planning is in the game due to My Castle.

I love the addition of My Castle, but it ruins any need to breed for anything but stat caps and growth rates. Considering how skill-based eugenics in Fates is more complicated than Awakening, I was looking forward to learning the new system. Seems a waste now when I can just buy the skills I desire. I realize I don't have to, but why sacrifice optimal stat pairings for skills when I can have both now?

Making the vast majority of personal skills trash is also irritating. The concept of personal skills was such a cool idea, but it feels like, by and large, it was wasted potential. Sophie is an example of this done right, however. I wish more characters had skills like hers.

Kana gets special mention of their personal skill being utter trash due to the Dragonstone range nerf. After the deity that was Morgan, the MU's child has fallen far.

Making the skills of the support unit in a Guard Stance essentially pointless (save for one skill?) is also sorely vexing. After all the planning that went in to making pairings that ensured every support child ended up with something akin to DG+, -faire, Limit Break, Aggressor (males)/AS+2 (females), Armsthrift, only needing to get Replicate so that the otherwise useless unit can support 2 units (good use for someone like Siegbert) is extremely disappointing.

I never got hit by so many below 10% crit chances. Even if I combine all past FE games and playthroughs. My unit missed a 88% hit and proceeded to dodge a 92%. Most of the time, getting hit by a lot of ~30%-40% hits and missing a lot of 70%.

I also would like to know a better stats break up, like which skill from whom is affecting the outcome.

Edited by Lanko

Regarding hitting and missing the enemy as well as them hitting you in return. I've missed some enemies in this game with a hit rate near 93%...only to see some of them hit my Corrin and Caeldori with a hit rate of...9-15% on Hard Mode in general. Then on the reverse spectrum, my Felicia acting like a ditz and somehow dodging an enemy attack that had a 95% Hit Rate (Hard/Classic). Also, props to Ryoma, Felicia and Kaze for pulling critical-hits off even when the chance is only 1%. Then seeing enemy Sorcerers and other magic-based enemies doing the unthinkable landing 5% chance critical-hits is not funny at all, on units who have bad luck and resistance growths (and stats).

Edited by Emblem Blade

What really irks me other than the fact it won't let me save on endgame at least on Conquest, is that some map mechanics are just kinda... There? Like some maps I don't even need to follow the mechanics properly to win. I just wish that I was pushed the map mechanics more offen than just doing it like any regular scout map.

I'd love to be able to rely on my Jakob in Conquest. I really would... his stats are garbage after being consistently RNG screwed, and I usually only use him to heal, but he does seem to have one saving grace: tomebreaker. It usually knocks the enemy's hit rate down to less than 20%, which is great on paper, but there's one problem. Every single time he's faced an enemy with a hit rate of 10-19%, they always hit him. Always. I literally can't get him to dodge a single magic attack unless it's in the single digits. I could cry.

I'm really irked by the middling returns of experience when your over-leveled units fight and defeat lower leveled ones. Just a single experience point per kill against units that can kill you with two hits seems a bit silly, and I wish there was a minimum of 5 or 10 you'd earn for the kill, because grabbing more skills via heart seals is fun and the best way to get that edge in the late game. I had to stay away from heart/partner/friendship seals almost entirely in Conquest because doing so in the late game could ruin that character's ability to fight while I still need them. Plus they upped the already large skill cap from 5 to 6, so you'd imagine that they want you to have fun class changing.

1) Velour's paralogue was pretty rage inducing for a while until I came back to it

2) Xander won't get any GODDANG SPEEEEED in his levels ~____~

Conquest Chapter 26 with a certain boss's staff spam is looking to join their ranks as well.

Edited by BANRYU