Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Interesting trailer, but what really caught my attention was that temple...

And finally, a bug pokemon that flies and has Levitate!

Venomoth, Beedrill and Volcarona sure would want that!

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Levitate on Vikavolt is good.

Tapu Koko is met at Lv. 60 wow, and Litten at Lv. 60 has 124 HP. Someone quick find out base stats!

Besides pokemon, I'm thinking the music is the Wild Battle theme, and I totally love it! It's amazing and cool.

They really kept that Pikachu clone's Japanese name? Stupid. I don't know at all how to pronounce it and it looks even more out of place among the English names than Pachirisu did.

Rockruff is so cute for a puppy dog though!

I think I'm probably going to keep calling it Iwanko for now... Something about Rockruff just doesn't sound right to me. I'll probably switch eventually, but it never happened for the BW2 protagonists' names.

I don't know at all how to pronounce it

Toh-geh-deh-mah-roo

Toh-geh-deh-mah-roo

Still doesn't tell me how to pronounce it. I don't know which syllables are stressed and which aren't. And even then, if I have to be taught how to pronounce it like this, that's a bad sign. Not every Pokemon player is fluent or expert in Japanese, Nintendo.

Still doesn't tell me how to pronounce it. I don't know which syllables are stressed and which aren't. And even then, if I have to be taught how to pronounce it like this, that's a bad sign. Not every Pokemon player is fluent or expert in Japanese, Nintendo.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the stressed syllables. My knowledge is limited to really basic phonetics, and I mean really basic...

Sorry about that.

They will change it eventually, look how much time they took for the rock puppy dog and the koala. The names will probably be announced in mid July or early August.

Try not stressing any syllables. That's usually how Japanese pronunciation goes in most cases.

Try not stressing any syllables. That's usually how Japanese pronunciation goes in most cases.

Not really. Take Miyamoto's name for example. I hear it pronounced "Shig-AIR-oo Mee-ah-MOH-toh" all the time, even by people in Nintendo Directs and E3. There are a couple stressed syllables in a word. It's literally impossible not to stress at least one syllable in a word unless the word is just one syllable.

Even in simple, two syllable words like "super" you're stressing the "su" part. Even if it's only a little bit. In Pokemon, the "Po" is stressed.

Edited by Anacybele

Not really. Take Miyamoto's name for example. I hear it pronounced "Shig-AIR-oo Mee-ah-MOH-toh" all the time, even by people in Nintendo Directs and E3. There are a couple stressed syllables in a word. It's literally impossible not to stress at least one syllable in a word unless the word is just one syllable.

Even in simple, two syllable words like "super" you're stressing the "su" part. Even if it's only a little bit. In Pokemon, the "Po" is stressed.

Read this: http://kimallen.sheepdogdesign.net/Japanese/toplevel.html

Like most Asian languages (and unlike most Western languages), Japanese does not use emphasis (stress) to mark accent. This gives the language its distinctive, rather "flat" sound-- even long words do not have a stressed syllable. However, Japanese does use pitch-- high and low-- to distinguish words. The pitch is applied to each syllable, not within a given syllable as it is in Chinese. For example, "ima" can mean "now" or "living room", the difference being the pitch between the two syllables, not the stress. In a few cases, you could get in trouble using the wrong pitch (and in any case you'd sound funny), but usually the context of the conversation will indicate what you mean. Overall, pitch isn't as big a deal in Japanese as it is made out to be.

They will change it eventually, look how much time they took for the rock puppy dog and the koala. The names will probably be announced in mid July or early August.

It's Togedemaru in English, just like how we kept Pikachu, Pichu, Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu, and Dedenne. Emonga became Emolga but that's one of the only pronunciation changes among Pika clones.

For Togedemaru, think of "Toge" from Togepi, "De" from "Dedenne", and "Maru" like Maru the cat. Then mash those together relatively fast. The De probably has the most emphasis, and Maru has the least.

Then I guess nobody actually follows the written rules of Japanese. Because I've never heard it spoken that way, Jave.

And no matter what any of you say, I still can't pronounce this Pokemon's name easily. Or probably even remember how to spell it half the time. Localization totally flopped with this one.

Compiling some images of the new Pokemon from the official Pokemon twitter here!

[spoiler=Vikavolt]CmSksP8UMAAUGg1.jpg

[spoiler=Charjabug]CmSWN2IUMAEX2ik.jpg

[spoiler=Tapu Koko]CmSOuozVIAAEo3D.jpg

[spoiler=Drampa]CmSxSLlUMAAjE6m.jpg

[spoiler=Bruxish]CmTDGtVVIAELnBR.jpg

Note that there's only these three up at the moment, however, when more of these images are released, I'll add them!

Oh hey, also off-topic but the event Pokemon is Shaymin. Go and get it, folks!

Edited by Vashiane

Then I guess nobody actually follows the written rules of Japanese. Because I've never heard it spoken that way, Jave.

And no matter what any of you say, I still can't pronounce this Pokemon's name easily. Or probably even remember how to spell it half the time. Localization totally flopped with this one.

I can pronounce it no problem, but then again my first language is Spanish so Japanese comes more natural.

It's a bit of a mouthful as far as names go, I can kind of see where people are coming from. But Japanese is easy to pronounce once you understand the structure since it's cut up into short syllables.

Also in the games the TVs has been teaching English players how to pronounce Japanese for several generations now! Especially since players have a chance of encountering hiragana and katakana (the basic syllabic Japanese alphabets) when they pick up Japanese Pokemon from Wonder Trade or the GTS.

Oh, and in case you didn't checked it already, here's cutiefly inspiration.

I just call it Toblerone myself...
​It isn't that hard to pronounce, actually.

It just have a lot of syllables, and since you don't get the meaning, it's harder to remember

It just have a lot of syllables, and since you don't get the meaning, it's harder to remember

Every time another fairy Pokemon gets added with a nefarious streak to it, another year's added to my life.

It's a lot to remember, yeah, but I'm going to try to learn it. But I'll probably call it Maru for short. (Maru-Maru. ... I almost want to nickname it that.)

Also in the games the TVs has been teaching English players how to pronounce Japanese for several generations now!

...When? I've looked at TVs in all my games and I never learned anything about pronouncing Japanese from them. o_O

I can pronounce it no problem, but then again my first language is Spanish so Japanese comes more natural.

Same goes for me.

Now I want a toblerone!

Edit: It's not really hard, Togepi+Dedenne+idk murumuru but with A

Edited by Quintessence

...When? I've looked at TVs in all my games and I never learned anything about pronouncing Japanese from them. o_O

The programs that play are semi random but starting from gen 5 there has been a language show, Koukan Talk. It teaches how to pronounce some basic phrases of Japanese related to Pokemon.

The programs that play are semi random but starting from gen 5 there has been a language show, Koukan Talk. It teaches how to pronounce some basic phrases of Japanese related to Pokemon.

Oh. Huh. I guess I never looked at the TVs enough to find that. Interesting.

...And when Gen 1 Pokémon were created, the japanese team wanted to teach English to the young Japanese children... (Lizard, and Freeze, Thunder, Fire (the only Legendaries whose names were changed between version.).

Seeing it come full circle is quite endearing.

So I haven't been recording the little blurbs that are coming with the pictures I'm getting, but, uh.

I'm gonna draw your attention to this one.

When Pokémon hear the sound of Bruxish’s teeth gnashing, they sense danger and flee.

And also this:

ea89136ab7507858d9d16bb42f069288.png

911, I'm being terrorized by a fictional fish. Send help.

WHY IS IT SO LARGE, FISH, PLEASE STOP THIS IMMEDIATELY.