Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Serebii is speculating that Charjabug is the evolution of Grubbin, which makes sense. It would save me the trouble of raising two Bug types, as Vikavolt is pretty awesome. Drampa is kinda cool looking, but something feels off about it. Bruxish is ugly. Cutiefly is alright I guess. Togedemaru is cute, but not team worthy. Tapu Koko is interesting.

Drampa: Steel/Dragon

I thought it was Normal/Dragon.

Edited by Konnor97

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are lolSpearrows.

Also, goofy dragon gets a LIKE

Edit: also truck bug looks like a compressed Caterpie. Will it evolve to Vika at lv 29?

I noticed that afterwards.

Since It seems to be Grubbin evolution (the mouth is the same, and the mandible-thingy are similar).

That would makes Vikavolt the early Bug evolution, so 12 would be a good guess.

It looks far too cool for an early bug (though Krketune was pretty great, with his badass mustache).

Except the other sources I'm reading say Normal/Dragon.

[/squints] Hang on, hang on, let me do some image grabbing/color comparison.

3904a5346092b6ce0cd2ae20150c6162.png

Okay...

1af4f7ea728d828b5cb8abb39dbab97f.png

... Oh. Actually those are two totally different kanji. My bad. Changing it now.

But tell me those are not near identical colors who allowed this.

Hmm...

Tapu Koko has an Electric Terrain ability...

I wonder if the guardians from the other islands will have a Misty Terrain and a Grass Terrain abilty.

But since there are 4 islands there ar probably 4 guardians, so what would be the fourth's ability?

Gravity, maybe?

Bruxish is the evil twin of Stunfisk for me. In that it may looks weird, but you can see it's fully intended
My eyes are bleeding just looking at it, but its design is honnestly excellent.

Well, it is now, but not quite when this leaked. Fortunately it was a matter of coming out hours before when it was planned, not days.

And anyone else think for a moment Drampa was Popplio's evolution?

Oh, well, a leak is still a leak to me, so it sucks...

I don't like any of these, though. Except Cutiefly. And that name, omg. ^^

Okay, Vikavolt has to be a fully evolved Grubbin. Compare the mouth shapes on both of them, they're nearly identical. I also want a Cutiefly.

Drampa's goofy looking, but it is a Normal/Dragon type so it's pretty cool.

The only design I'm not a fan of is Bruxish. It's weird and ugly on purpose, but it's still weird and ugly.

So, I've heard that the triggerfish, the animal Bruxish seems to be based on, is actually considered to be the official fish of the state of Hawaii and it's hawaiian name is humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa.

Is this true? If it is, maybe it will be referenced ingame? For example, maybe Bruxish will be considered Alola's offical Water-type Pokemon?

Edited by Water Mage

Oh good lord some of those designs look SO BAD!!

Charjabug, Bruxish, and Tapu Koko do not resemble Pokemon at all.

Though, I will admit that I love Drampa's and Cutiefly's design. Drampa is pretty much Falcor from the Neverending Story so he'll definitely have a spot on my team!

Edited by Leif

Charjabug, Bruxish, and Tapu Koko do not resemble Pokemon at all.

We talked about this before, but I must ask again.

What is it that make a Pokemon look like a Pokemon?

What is it that these Pokemon lack that makes not look like Pokemon?

To answer the poll, I'm personally going to get a Litten. However I have to admit all three starters are adorable. Popplio is precious, Rowlet is precious, Litten is precious. I want them all.

If I got a Rowlet I'd name it Ford or Sixer though. No idea what I'm going to name Litten.

And idk which edition I'm getting. I need to learn more on specific Pokemon in each edition. Whichever has Tyranitar I'm getting.

And idk which edition I'm getting. I need to learn more on specific Pokemon in each edition. Whichever has Tyranitar I'm getting.

I'm thinking of getting both, but my main one will be the one with Tyranitar.

Someone on smashboards pointed out that Vikavolt looks a bit like Vic Viper from the Gradius games.

I'm sure it's unintentional, but...I can somewhat see the resemblance. Looks cool either way. ^_^

We talked about this before, but I must ask again.

What is it that make a Pokemon look like a Pokemon?

What is it that these Pokemon lack that makes not look like Pokemon?

I think that I already answered that when I discussed Zygarde Compete's artwork earlier in this topic, but I'll say it again:

I believe the problem stems from a clash of art styles. There's something about Bruxish's design that doesn't mesh with, let's say, Kangaskhan's, especially with it's strange eyes. Get 1 - 3 all felt like Pokemon (to me) because their art was very similar. There was a unity present in Sugimori's earlier work that's seemingly absent now. His style has drastically changed as the series progressed. I think it's most noticeable now, especially considering that Charjabug looks like something from Robopon. This happened in Shin Megami Tensei 4. All the new demons were designed by various artists and they clashed with Kaneko's older work. For me, it's almost as jarring as pairing Pablo Picasso's art with Monet's.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Drampa's and Cutiefly's designs and I think they blend in decently with the older Pokemon (Cutiefly more so than Drampa).

Edited by Leif

I agree that these don't look like the Pokemon of gen 1-4, but I came to realize this... Ken Sugimori can't be the primary artist forever. There has definitely been a shift in the official art, but that's just what Pokemon is now. Gen 5 was probably the most jarring changeover but we'll probably have to get used to it. At least they mostly try to match styles, whereas no one really matched up to Kaneko's artwork without a major redraw, and now Soejima handles the major stuff and his Persona stuff looks just fine in the universe with his colouring preferences applied to everything, while SMT4 was exceptionally poor imitations and a mishmash of artwork that wasn't rendered the same throughout.

That said I think there's nothing wrong with Bruxish's eyes. In fact they are done in a similar style to Illumise, Froslass or Milotic. The spiky teeth are more odd (and it looks odd with Yungoos too), but then Scraggy had them too and didn't look out of place. Charjabug has the battery eyes as a more modern design element that could have never existed prior to gen 4, but it's a cute nod to its electric typing.

There's someone in a YouTube comment who said Bruxish looks like someone with too much make up doing a duckface.
​I found that spot on.

Realy, I enjoy its design a lot. Not all Pokémon have to be cute.

Hey, the Hawaii state fish is a Pokemon~! Kinda wish it didn't look like a paint store dumped its inventory on it, but eh.

Charjabug's ability (Battery) boosts Sp Atk of allies.

It's also confirmed we'll once again will be able to ride Pokémon on some parts. The example shown is Stoutland.