Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

They really kept that Pikachu clone's Japanese name? Stupid. I don't know at all how to pronounce it and it looks even more out of place among the English names than Pachirisu did.

You're surprised? Really? They've kind of done this for, what, seven generations now? The Pika clones never get "English" names

As for the whole stressing syllables thing when saying Japanese names, that's a thing that English speakers do. Native speakers don't stress their syllables like English speakers do, so Shigeru Miyamoto is pronounced as Shee-geh-roo Mee-ah-moh-toh, rather than Shig-AIR-oo Mee-ah-MOH-toh.

And just because the people saying it are from Nintendo are saying it like that doesn't mean it's completely accurate. They pronounced Tharja as Thar-jah instead of Thar-yah, IIRC

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tapu Koko is the weirdest Pokemon name I've seen yet. Have we ever had Pokemon names of more than one word?

And the rock dog doesn't look anything like a rock...

Everything I've ever known was a lie.

Tapu Koko is the weirdest Pokemon name I've seen yet. Have we ever had Pokemon names of more than one word?

And the rock dog doesn't look anything like a rock...

Everything I've ever known was a lie.

Mr. Mime?

You're surprised? Really? They've kind of done this for, what, seven generations now? The Pika clones never get "English" names

Of course I was surprised. Togedemaru is a more complicated name to say than even Pachirisu. And Emolga got a slightly different English name (It's Emonga in Japanese). So I figured with Togedemaru being such a mouthful, it would also be an exception to this weird Pikaclone rule.

Of course I was surprised. Togedemaru is a more complicated name to say than even Pachirisu. And Emolga got a slightly different English name (It's Emonga in Japanese). So I figured with Togedemaru being such a mouthful, it would also be an exception to this weird Pikaclone rule.

The one exception to a rule followed in literally every generation? Nope.

As for Emolga/Emonga, changing a single letter isn't much of a difference overall, so I didn't feel the need to acknowledge it. If I was really that anal I'd point out that Plusle is Prasle in Japanese, but like Emolga it is a very small change. And it really isn't all that hard to pronounce? Yeah it's a bit of a mouthful but it's no worse than Aromatisse or Masquerain in terms of trying to figure out how to pronounce them.

Yeah it's a bit of a mouthful but it's no worse than Aromatisse or Masquerain in terms of trying to figure out how to pronounce them.

Except it worse than those in my opinion. Not everyone agrees with you.

The syllables are rather short, though.

At least it's not like Glaceon, which despite being derived from 'glacier' is consistently pronounced "glay-SEE-on" in official works. Which means you probably aren't going to pronounce it right from looking at it.

Togedemaru can be figured out if you've heard any Japanese speech ever due to how the phonetics works.

I never said that everyone agrees with me??? But even then, the same applies with you.

Really with just about any Pokémon name there will be people who have difficulty pronouncing them for one reason or another. Togedemaru, while not exactly rolling off the tongue, is pretty simple to figure out how to pronounce, especially if you just remember how to pronounce Togepi and Dedenne. And even then, you know as soon as the anime rolls around to Sun and Moon there's gonna be someone with a Togedemaru in the main cast, so learning/remembering how to pronounce it will get even easier

Togedemaru is a mouthful and does stick out like a sore thumb compared to most names. That said, this applies to all Pikaclones except for Plusle and Minun anyway to varying degrees.

In other news, though, I'm glad that Grubbin does indeed have a neat looking evolution, so I'll probably end up using it even if I don't end up naming it 'Sheargrub' like I originally planned. I'll probably end up using Drampa too. I haven't decided on what starter to choose yet, which is strange because I usually gravitate towards the fire starter immediately.

My predictions on evolutions:

-The starters will evolve twice, like all starters.

-Pikipek will evolve twice, which we know already.

-Yungoos will evolve once, like all early mammals.

-We know Grubbin's line already.

-Rockruff will evolve once or twice, which its profile already says.

-Komala will evolve once.

-Tapu Koko is probably a legendary, so it will be a standalone.

-Drampa will either be a standalone or will have a preevolution. In any case it's probably fully evolved.

-Cutiefly will evolve once.

-Togedemaru is a standalone, like all Pikaclones.

-I can't decide on Bruxish, but for now I think it will be a standalone.

I'll probably be wrong on some things but for now I think my predictions are pretty sound.

Edited by Lightchao42

So I haven't been recording the little blurbs that are coming with the pictures I'm getting, but, uh.

I'm gonna draw your attention to this one.

And also this:

ea89136ab7507858d9d16bb42f069288.png

911, I'm being terrorized by a fictional fish. Send help.

WHY IS IT SO LARGE, FISH, PLEASE STOP THIS IMMEDIATELY.

IT'S CONSPIRACY TIME~!

The Aloha United Way is a charity that is involved with a lot of things. Their local number is 211.

---

- I am perfectly fine with Tapu Koko being "Oahu's" guardian!

- Why does Charjabug look like a bus?

- Vikavolt seems interesting.

- Dazzling looks really cool, and I suppose that's one way to stop the Endeavor/Quick Attack combo.

- Iron Barbs on Togedemaru is different. That 4x Ground weakness. . .not cool.

-The starters will evolve twice, like all starters.

-Pikipek will evolve twice, which we know already.

-Yungoos will evolve once, like all early mammals.

-We know Grubbin's line already.

-Tapu Koko is probably a legendary, so it will be a standalone.

Yeah, these are all confirmed already. :P Tapu Koko is one of the four island guardians, and that means legendary Pokemon. Pikipek was shown to have two evolutions when it was caught at E3. I'm pretty sure I saw that Yungoos will definitely evolve once too.

Yeah, these are all confirmed already. :P Tapu Koko is one of the four island guardians, and that means legendary Pokemon. Pikipek was shown to have two evolutions when it was caught at E3. I'm pretty sure I saw that Yungoos will definitely evolve once too.

Well, yeah, I only mentioned all the 'mons for completeness purposes, hence the 'which we know already' and 'like all so-and-so'. Though strictly speaking we don't know if Tapu Koko is actually a legendary or not (though it probably is). Not to mention that the Treehouse specifically went out of its way to not show Yungoos's Rotomdex entry, so we don't know how it will evolve (it is a pretty safe guess though).

Also:

Edited by Lightchao42

Tapu Koko is probably my favorite of the new pokemon currently, cool design, also like its typing.

Edited by Jedi

I wonder if Tapu Koko's the only one with a new weather-type ability in the seventh generation. How about auto-Misty Terrain on some mons? Admittedly it's a bit shoddy in comparison but still...

I wonder if Tapu Koko's the only one with a new weather-type ability in the seventh generation. How about auto-Misty Terrain on some mons? Admittedly it's a bit shoddy in comparison but still...

Auto-Grass Terrain seems likely (with Grass/Fairy), but Misty Terrain, I'm less sure...

Late on this, but Togedemaru's name (while being long and having a lot of syllables) is nowhere near as bad as Alomomola for me. I mean, Togedemaru has a consonant-vowel pattern that's pretty easy to pronounce!

While there's likely still a lot more to come, I don't think any of Alola's new Pokemon have really wow'd me.

I wonder if there's a Alomomola in Alola!

Auto-Grass Terrain seems likely (with Grass/Fairy), but Misty Terrain, I'm less sure..

They could implement anything really. Misty Terrain looks awfully lacklustre in comparison to the other two however - no boost to fairy-type moves? Nerfing dragons and shutting down sleep moves is only so useful...

Late on this, but Togedemaru's name (while being long and having a lot of syllables) is nowhere near as bad as Alomomola for me. I mean, Togedemaru has a consonant-vowel pattern that's pretty easy to pronounce!

While there's likely still a lot more to come, I don't think any of Alola's new Pokemon have really wow'd me.

At least it isn't Keteleeria...

I wonder if there's a Alomomola in Alola!

They could implement anything really. Misty Terrain looks awfully lacklustre in comparison to the other two however - no boost to fairy-type moves? Nerfing dragons and shutting down sleep moves is only so useful...

It does stop all Status Effect.

But if it's on a Fairy Type, it isn't really worth more than a glorified Safeguard.

Actually, we don't know if it will work as long as the user is in play, or will stop after a few turns.