"Black Mage" is an offensive term

Black and white mages use black (offensive) and white (defensive) magicks, respectively. To improve communication, they wear specific styles of robes that designate their roles and make them easier to identify for party members. Here are some examples of common mage uniforms from the country of Ivalice -

Black Mage

White Mage

Time Mage

Oracle / Mystic

Notice that the mage's robes do not necessarily have to match the color of their title.

Originally, the black and white mage were called "Offensively Inclined Practitioner of the Magick Arts" and "Defensively Inclined Practitioner of the Magick Arts", but these titles were deemed too long to be used in battle, and thus were shortened to "Black Mage" and "White Mage". Some groups use other names like "Wizard" and "Priest", or shorten them even further to "Black" and "White". It is always important to know the names and uniforms of the magick users in your party, so learn them well.

Black and white mages use black (offensive) and white (defensive) magicks, respectively. To improve communication, they wear specific styles of robes that designate their roles and make them easier to identify for party members. Here are some examples of common mage uniforms from the country of Ivalice -

Black Mage

White Mage

Time Mage

Oracle / Mystic

Notice that the mage's robes do not necessarily have to match the color of their title.

Originally, the black and white mage were called "Offensively Inclined Practitioner of the Magick Arts" and "Defensively Inclined Practitioner of the Magick Arts", but these titles were deemed too long to be used in battle, and thus were shortened to "Black Mage" and "White Mage". Some groups use other names like "Wizard" and "Priest", or shorten them even further to "Black" and "White". It is always important to know the names and uniforms of the magick users in your party, so learn them well.

Those are just lies fabricated by fat cats to keep the mage man down

literally no one in this thread has mentioned the blue mage, i'm disappointed in all of you

that's why he got the blues so bad one time it put my face in a permanent frown but now I'm feeling so much better o could cakewalk into town.

Uhm, don't you mean #AllMagelivesmatter. It's rude to exclude god

all other mages enjoy the privilege of not having their robe color or destructive powers be a factor in getting a job and/or whether they are targeted by paladins

Edited by FrostyFireMage

all other mages enjoy the privilege of not having their robe color or destructive powers be a factor in getting a job and/or whether they are targeted by paladins

Actually white mages know full well the pain of being targeted by other paladins. Lets not forget white mages suffer too. Constantly having to support all other mages and party members can be tiring and takes a lot of work, it isn't just privilage. I myself cast reflect regardless if the mage has a black or white robe.

Alchemists are slow as fuck and have poor elemental coverage. Summoners and Red Mages are the only true answers.