What are some of your favorite video games that other people have never heard of?

ruadath

Oh, and I also like Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2. Not sure if it counts, though. IIRC it isn't that well known, and the Summon Night games are mostly Japan exclusive, save for maybe one or two and the Swordcraft Story games.

I remember that, that was a good game.

I think The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky part 1~3 counts, I've only played part 1 and 2, part 2 was only recently released in English but only on an old console the psp. I think it defiantly is not as popular as it should be, both games had a really solid and well thought out story and part 2 had one of the best strategic gameplay experience I've had yet.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg is an alternate history mod where Germany wins WWW for the WWII simulator Darkest Hour, and it is both plausible and quite fun in its randomness; one game you can have a Constitutional Monarchical Germany fighting a Stalinist France, the next you can have an Ultranationalist Germany fighting a Social Democrat France. Thats not even mentioning America, which can be Communist, Fascist, Libertarian, or a military dictatorship, Russia, which can be Absolutist, Constitutional, Fascist, Soviet, or Republican, Japan, which can be democratic or Imperial, or India, which can be Communist, a Monarchy, or the Raj again. The Middle East can be completely dominated by the Ottomans or divided between Iran, Egypt, and Arabia, and China can range from a superpower Qing Empire to a theocratic Christian state (yes I stole that for my alternate history) or Japan's bitch. No two games are alike, so I feel like it captures history quite well.

I remember that, that was a good game.

I think The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky part 1~3 counts, I've only played part 1 and 2, part 2 was only recently released in English but only on an old console the psp. I think it defiantly is not as popular as it should be, both games had a really solid and well thought out story and part 2 had one of the best strategic gameplay experience I've had yet.

Gonna second this as I played Trails in the Sky part 1, and am part way through part 2 right now, really great story telling in general.

They are also on steam btw.

Gonna second this as I played Trails in the Sky part 1, and am part way through part 2 right now, really great story telling in general.

They are also on steam btw.

I don't think part 2 is on steam, or is part 2 on its way to steam?

I don't think part 2 is on steam, or is part 2 on its way to steam?

It was put there some months ago! I have it on my steam, I can screenshot if you'd like.

It was put there some months ago! I have it on my steam, I can screenshot if you'd like.

November right? Thats when it came to psp, which is what I got, ah its good that it came on steam. I wonder why on wikipedia it said the english version only came to psp.

Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg is an alternate history mod where Germany wins WWW for the WWII simulator Darkest Hour, and it is both plausible and quite fun in its randomness; one game you can have a Constitutional Monarchical Germany fighting a Stalinist France, the next you can have an Ultranationalist Germany fighting a Social Democrat France. Thats not even mentioning America, which can be Communist, Fascist, Libertarian, or a military dictatorship, Russia, which can be Absolutist, Constitutional, Fascist, Soviet, or Republican, Japan, which can be democratic or Imperial, or India, which can be Communist, a Monarchy, or the Raj again. The Middle East can be completely dominated by the Ottomans or divided between Iran, Egypt, and Arabia, and China can range from a superpower Qing Empire to a theocratic Christian state (yes I stole that for my alternate history) or Japan's bitch. No two games are alike, so I feel like it captures history quite well.

I couldn't play that game due to its complexity and newbie unfriendliness (not even sure if this word exists). I was staring at the screen for 5 minutes before I gave up, watched some videos, still understood nothing and asked for refunds. I know, all Paradox games are like this (and Kaiserreich is pretty much a Hearts of Iron 3 mod), but this game is just ridiculous despite being interesting.

I'm really looking forward to HOI4, now that you mentioned it.

Yes, part 2 is on Steam and they're going to translate part 3 as well and put it on Steam, as they've confirmed. The only ones that aren't getting a PC port are the Cold Steel games, unfortunately.

Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition!!

My favorite game on the Wii U right now. It's a metroid style platformer with a Mexican luchador skin, and the result is hilarious. The broken Spanish makes it a blast to read and it's one of the most challenging, year absolutely fair, platformers I've ever played. It's intentionally designed to be hilarious, which makes it better in my eyes.

It's $15 on the eshop with a Metacritic average of 90, making it one of the highest rated games on the console.

@Doof: That game looks good! My favorite $15 Wii U eShop game is currently Fast Racing Neo. It's so fast and exciting.

The Golden Sun games. I've only known a few people who have played them, but they have really good stories and gameplay. And I guess you could also say Fullmetal Alchemist: Stray Rondo as well. It's pretty fun, though the only one who can use the Alchemy Cards is Edward, and he's pretty frail.

One from my childhood was Monster Rancher. My favorite part of mons games is raising my mons, and Monster Rancher was a game that focused on that like no other game I've seen. I really wish that series had gotten more popular, or at the very least gotten a spiritual successor.

GrimDawn is a more recent one. While it's not exactly unique it's one of few Diablo-Clones to really hold my attention.

I couldn't play that game due to its complexity and newbie unfriendliness (not even sure if this word exists). I was staring at the screen for 5 minutes before I gave up, watched some videos, still understood nothing and asked for refunds. I know, all Paradox games are like this (and Kaiserreich is pretty much a Hearts of Iron 3 mod), but this game is just ridiculous despite being interesting.

I'm really looking forward to HOI4, now that you mentioned it.

Yes, part 2 is on Steam and they're going to translate part 3 as well and put it on Steam, as they've confirmed. The only ones that aren't getting a PC port are the Cold Steel games, unfortunately.

I'd recommend setting the difficulty to very easy and playing as a single theatre country. For example to learn HOI3 I set the difficulty to very easy and played as Iraq; all they really have to do is help the Brits against Italy, so there's a lot of room for experimentation. You can also assign some of the more complex tasks to the AI. Victoria 2 is pretty easy to learn, too.

Fuck I can't believe I forgot about it but Zoids: Battle Legends.

I played so much of that game as a kid and I still love it. Fast-paced mech game with an admittedly pretty lackluster story mode but great soundtrack and an awesome arcade-type mode.

and fuck now thinking about that game I'm also remembering Phantom Dust which makes me really sad because I never got past the third boss on that game and can't play it again.

• 3 weeks later...

Drakengard and GrimGrimoire, with the latter being a relatively overlooked game by VanillaWare. Most people know of Dragon's Crown due to a bit of controversy about the character design (not unfounded, imo), but not many people have heard of or played GrimGrimoire. It's a shame, considering I think it's a great title.

Also, very few people seem to have heard of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Vagrant Story, or even Final Fantasy Tactics.

Ok, I just checked in the Wii U eShop (NA version) and bring some good news that this is most likely just for North American fans. I just checked in the North American Wii U eShop this afternoon for StarTropics along with the sequel called Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II that were just got released in the North American Wii U eShop since Thursday and I definitely just saw that they have just been marked in the category for Best Sellers and it definitely looks like it's both of the games just became not forgotten anymore in North America. (I kinda just wondered if this is possibly got some people have noticed in the front section that was shown on the Virtual Console tab?)

But, does the Europe and Australia Wii U eShop don't have both of the StarTropics marked as Best Sellers or does it, I definitely know that both of the StarTropics games still not gotten released in Japan in a long time?

Edited by King Marth 64

• 2 weeks later...

Live A Live and Riviera: The Promised Land are two that immediately come to mind.

Live A Live is a Squaresoft (now known as Square Enix) Super Famicom JRPG with several different stories, a VERY unique battle system, and a memorable cast of characters.

Riviera: The Promised Land is a St!ng(i.e. Sting)-developed Atlus-produced JRPG originally released for the the Wonderswan Color and later released for the Gameboy Advance and PlayStation Portable. It has very unique gameplay all-around, a small but very likable cast of playable characters, and dating sim elements.

...oh, and did I mention that both of these games have amazing soundtracks, ESPECIALLY the former?

'Cause they do.

Live A Live is a Squaresoft (now known as Square Enix) Super Famicom JRPG with several different stories, a VERY unique battle system, and a memorable cast of characters.

Live-A-Live is amazing, and I second it, sadly I haven't played the other one you listed.