Books that you wish would adapt into series

Rapier

I've said it many times on this section, but I'd like for a Wheel of Time TV series adaption. I also support a Mistborn adaption, that book has scenes that would look very good on film. My only problem with the latter is that they'd require a higher budget for stunts and Jedi tricks with Allomancy, so it's likely that it won't receive a series adaption ever.

It's a manga, not a book, but Guillermo Del Toro has occasionally mentioned that he's been working on an adaptation of Monster. I'd like to see that. I've also heard the Malazan series was originally being designed as a screenplay of some kind, I guess that might be cool but I'm not really obsessed with the idea.

I love the idea of a Malazan screenplay, but a significant portion of the series is character introspection, which really doesn't translate well to a screen. But watching Quick Ben taking on 100 Tiste Edur would totally make my day.

I also support a Mistborn and WoT series. Doesn't someone own the rights to the latter? I seem to remember a really crappy pilot episode being released last year amid much scorn.

I'm down for a Wheel of Time adaptation like you said.

My Big Huge Dream is the Black Company made into a series, though. Lord have mercy, I would be so happy.

I love the idea of a Malazan screenplay, but a significant portion of the series is character introspection, which really doesn't translate well to a screen. But watching Quick Ben taking on 100 Tiste Edur would totally make my day.

I also support a Mistborn and WoT series. Doesn't someone own the rights to the latter? I seem to remember a really crappy pilot episode being released last year amid much scorn.

Yes, an extremely crappy pilot episode was released but most people suspect that it was done to avoid the clause that takes the right for making a movie/series away from the producer if they don't do something in X years, or something like that. In any case, we never heard anything else about a TV adaptation.

I hope that thought doesn't fade with time. It's an old series that doesn't get much attention, whereas the Mistborn series are still alive and kicking.

My Big Huge Dream is the Black Company made into a series, though. Lord have mercy, I would be so happy.

I really need to read that. Looks interesting.

Edited by Rapier

There's been talk of a Discworld tv series for years now, focused on the Watch, which personally I imagine being awesome. I think the Hyperion series could make a good tv show but you'd need a pretty big budget to capture the feel of that series. Especially with the varied sets needed in the first book.

Edited by Jotari

Nancy Drew, no question. It's my favorite book series and it's gotten literally hundreds of books. It's a series that's been around since the FORTIES (and due to this, the series has multiple authors, not just one). The books are not really long either, so I bet they could easily be adapted into a TV series that works like Law & Order, where the episodes are like 45 mins long. And because it has so many books, this show would get a lot of seasons.

There's a Nancy Drew sub-series for kids as well, the Nancy Drew Notebooks, which could then be adapted into a kids show. I can't believe this hasn't actually been done already. Although to be fair, the Nancy Drew movie looked like a flop... The PC games are great though! I just wish I had the brains to actually beat them... I always got stuck.

Edited by Anacybele

Dragonlance, both the original trilogy and the twin trilogy. It needs a movie or tv show so bad. It would make for a great series of movies on par with the Lord of the Rings movies.

Nancy Drew, no question. It's my favorite book series and it's gotten literally hundreds of books. It's a series that's been around since the FORTIES (and due to this, the series has multiple authors, not just one). The books are not really long either, so I bet they could easily be adapted into a TV series that works like Law & Order, where the episodes are like 45 mins long. And because it has so many books, this show would get a lot of seasons.

There's a Nancy Drew sub-series for kids as well, the Nancy Drew Notebooks, which could then be adapted into a kids show. I can't believe this hasn't actually been done already. Although to be fair, the Nancy Drew movie looked like a flop... The PC games are great though! I just wish I had the brains to actually beat them... I always got stuck.

I'm legitimately surprised that was never a thing.

I'm legitimately surprised that was never a thing.

My point exactly! Yet I've seen absolutely nothing for it in terms of television other than that flop movie (I passed on it because I thought the casting was terrible. Everyone looked too young. Nancy and her friends aren't 16-year-olds, they're high school graduates/18-19 years old, and in Ned's case, a college student). And I would know if a show existed due to how big a fan I am. If it ever does actually happen though, I hope it's animated. I don't want another live action casting failure...

EDIT: Oh, this explains it...

In 1957, Desilu and CBS developed a show, Nancy Drew, Detective, based on the movies from the 1930s. Roberta Shore was in the title role as Nancy Drew, with Tim Considine as Ned Nickerson, and Frankie Thomas, Jr. as Carson Drew. Although a pilot was produced in April of 1957, the series could not find a sponsor, and, with the disappointment and later disapproval of Harriet Adams, the idea of a series was abandoned.

From Wikipedia. Guess I never did enough research on Nancy Drew stuff from before I was born. :P

Edited by Anacybele