Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 2

Shin

"Good!" Cass felt Owen's hand tightening on her shoulder, but there was no way she was going to let some stupid fire get in the way of her figuring this all out! If Gewaint died in there, she'd be kicking herself over not visiting earlier-- she had five days, and only decided to, now! Tearing herself free from him while he was distracted talking to Doug, she rushed over to the door and threw herself inside, the fire not exactly a welcoming sight. "Gewaint! Gewaint!!" she barked, trying to get her voice heard through the flames and smoke. It's not awful here, but... They said down in death row... Considering it wasn't the worst, she kept moving forward, hoping Owen would follow after her.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owen opened his eyes wide as Cass ran from his grasp, straight into the dungeon. "CASS!" He shouted, losing composure. Engel. Damn it. Owen's body tensed in anger, bringing his palms to his face. Why does she have to be this way? "Tch. tell the mages to make a break to the death row. I'm going to make sure she doesn't get herself killed. I'll mind myself" It was dumb. It was suicidal. Yet Owen hadn't the heart to let Cass risk her life alone. He could at least save her, if it got to that.

Owen had rushed inside, looking back to make sure his path wasn't being obstructed by the fire. "Cass! What are you doing?!" He shouted, following Cass' own screams. The prince had a hand over his nose, trying to not inhale too much of the smoke at once. Please, all powers above, keep her safe...

Street Smiter

Larissa stuck her tongue out. Smiling, she leaned forwards, kissing Serge on the cheek. "Innocence and purity are overrated." she laughed, skipping forwards. "Especially if they mean you starve. Not everyone can pick up a sword and shield and earn their money through heroics. Some of us have to earn in the only ways we know how to. Luckily for me, Doug has quite the taste, don't you think?"

At last, Serge had returned to the Herman estate, the familiar, and rather fancy, abode he could technically call home. The guards nodded politely, opening the gates for them to pass through. "The one on the left gets tired after a few minutes." Larissa whispered to Serge, pointing to one of the guards. "He's trying his best to look away."

Ring of Fire

The initial halls were not too difficult to traverse, the smoke was irritating, but Cass could still manage herself. That was until she reached Death Row. The smoke was incredibly thick, flames had claimed the peripheries of the hall, as well as certain cells. It was difficult to make out, but Gewaint's cell didn't appear to be engulfed in fire. The young noble was still kneeling in place, almost motionless as the rest of the prison burned around him. His cell was still shut, the heat had done nothing to the hard steel.

"I'm g-getting this idiot-- ack, ahugh!" Cass inhaled a puff of smoke as she shouted back at Owen, letting out a huge cough, stopping her tracks for a moment as the flames got bigger and bigger. Just a bit further, come on... "I'M GETTING THIS IDIOT OUT!" she managed, finally, working her way past the fire and over to Gewaint's cell, miraculously not a boiling inferno. She didn't dare touch the gates, knowing full well what fire did to metal. "Gewaint! Gewaint get up! Get up and help me figure this out!" she choked out another cough as her eyes darted around the cell, trying to figure something out. Maybe these cells aren't that well kept, I can try... Cass hefted back and then kicked the gate hard, hoping the old metal would have rusted enough to break open. She had a strong kick! The other alternative was something she didn't want to consider yet, because if she got it wrong now, it would spell even further disaster.

Serge chuckled. If he barely lasts minutes with her, how can Adele or her dad even rely on him in battle? But he kept that thought to himself. Serge walked inside and went to go find Niko. Then he was probably going to find his room and lie down. That princess tired him mentally and he needed a rest.

Owen covered his mouth, squinting, the smoke was getting even more in their way. We've gotta make it back quickly, come on, Cass. The prince continue to tag along, but was lagging behind, continuously worried about their return route becoming obstructed. They were finally at the death row, and like the soldier warned, the fire was stronger there. Cass had stopped in front of Dettard's cell, and that's when Owen had a realization. Shoot, I didn't ask for the keys. The doors are open, but not his cell... Cursing mentally, Owen approached Cass and Gewaint, still taking care about the fire. "Wait. If this is going to cede, it'll only do so if we bash it together." Still covering his mouth, Owen readied a kick for the gate as well.

Cass's boot crashed against the bars, leaving almost no impact on their sturdy frame. If there was one thing, they certainly did their job at preventing prisoners from escaping. Gewaint looked up slowly, his eyes still accepting of death. "Princess... why are you here?" he asked, barely comprehending the situation he was in. "The flames... you shouldn't be here... I'm not worth it. You should let me burn."

The flames flared behind Cass, more of the furniture in the hall had been set alight. Things were certainly starting to heat up.

Edited by Shin

"Shut up, you moron! Get up and try something!" she barked again, as Owen ran up to her, finally. Another swift kick had amounted to nothing, the bars still stuck fast. She doubted anything would change with Owen there, but she still didn't want to rely on her last solution, not yet. "I've only got one thing left up my sleeve if we can't brute force this door open, alright? And I'd rather not try it, not the way I am now, but if we can't kick it open, the guards aren't going to get here in time. I'd really rather not! So give this your all, brother. On three! One, two... THREE!" Cass rear back and kicked the gate again, hoping with Owen's strength they'd manage to break it off, just enough.

The siblings were perfectly synchronised, their feet striking the cell together. However, other than producing another clank, they hadn't achieved much. Gewaint looked blankly at the pair, he couldn't fathom at all that they would be trying to save him, of all people. Surely he was trash to them, not even worth the cell he occupied?

"Fuck... FUCK!" Cass cursed, clenching her fists and staring down the metal. Curse this well built Wykian cell! "GEWAINT! GET UP!" This was the last straw, then, if no one was going to make it in time. She still had the staffs she'd bought earlier on her, and she didn't know if it would work-- it was a definite gamble, but it was either try it now, or watch him burn. "Get up as close as you can to the cell door! NOW! No buts, no "Just leave", no nothing! MOVE, BROTHER!" Her emotions were flaring as much as the fires, as the warp staff came out. It was definitely levels above her mastery, but if she could just get him across the bars, that's all they needed.

She started to channel her magic into it while she waited for him, focusing as hard as she could on it. Please, magic, for once my life; I know I haven't been as diligent as I should have been but I've been doing a lot lately! A whole lot! And I plan to do a lot more, so PLEASE! Just work for me, this once, this small thing! She didn't know who she was praying to, some patron saint of all things magical, but she needed this to work, and now, even if it took all her energy.

Edited by Melissa

"...Cass?" Owen was surprised to see his sister so angry, if somewhat intimidated. He only hoped she knew what she was doing. Looking around the room, the heat was rising, it'd be dangerous to stay for much longer. If this fails... then we might need to leave Dettard here to his fate. A gloom frown formed in the prince's face, not daring to interrupt his sister's attempt, lest he take her attention away. I hope you know what you're doing... If that didn't work, the most they could do at that point is leave it to the mages.

Gewaint looked up, completely shocked by Cass' words. Nobody, nobody other than Dettard the elder had ever treated him like family. Nobody had cared enough to want him to live so badly. Hurrying to his feet, he limped towards the bars, dragging his left leg behind him. Cass' efforts were not in vain, the staff seemed to respond to her efforts. However, its head began to spark - it was quite clear that it was beyond her abilities. Letting off a small explosion, Cass was knocked back into Owen by the staff, having scorched the cell's lock. It wasn't exactly what she'd hoped, but the door was at least open.

Moving as quickly as he could, Gewaint joined the siblings, his eyes welling up with tears as he hung his head.

"Well well, what a bunch of eggiwegs. I won't say no to a little more oobivatting."

A large man had appeared behind Oswald's three children. A brutish giant with large menacing hands, it seemed more than reasonable that he was one of the other death row inmates - although he was far more murderous than their subdued half-brother.

"Shivving the royals and then a little of the ol' in-an'-out, out-an'-in, would be the vareet in 'ere." he chuckled darkly, holding a heavy club in his hand. "It took a dozen guards an' a shadowy fella to get me in 'ere. Yer gooses be cooked."

"Agh!" Cass cried out, knocking back into Owen-- but pain aside, the cell was open, and Gewaint was finally dragging his ass out of it! Success! What was less successful was the hulking prisoner that had just come up behind them. Quickly pulling herself off of Owen and standing in front of the damage Gewaint, she pointed the staff at him. She had one bluff left, after that explosion, and if that failed, still one thing left before someone else would have to take charge. "I've no mind to die in this inferno, brute, so unless you want me to do to your head what this staff just did to that cell, I'd step aside! Otherwise, we can all find out what the inside of an idiot's head looks like!" Maybe it wasn't the best idea to egg him on, but he didn't seem particularly smart, so she figured he had no idea how a warp staff worked. She didn't either, to be fair! But if it had just caused an explosion, she could probably get something similar to work! Maybe... The last thing she wanted was to get Owen hurt, or worse, get Gewaint killed after all of that mess.

Serge looked all over the area. At least, the areas he was allowed into. But no matter where he looked, Niko was no where to be found. Serge gave up to go back to his room. "Might as well sleep the day away. Or something."

Niko contemplated how to continue this before grinning. "Right then, lets head back to where we're staying right now. He should be there somewhere." Motioning to Emmet, he started to head back to the Herman residence.

"Gah!" The impact had struck Owen back against a wall, hopefully softening Cassandra's own impact a little. Owen's shoulder did come worse off out of it. Bracing himself, Owen pulled through the moment he realized the cell had been opened --not in a way he'd hoped for, but... still something. "It's done! Come on, let's just get out--" And as if fate just wouldn't have it, a criminal thought to stop them. One of the other men sentenced to death, and with a club to show for it --how'd he get one?

Owen glared daggers silently at the criminal, even more aggravated at his threats. Scum, complete scum. I'm not letting you so even touch my sister. Catching his side, Owen took a step back and tried to look for a way out --was there even another way? The whole row was soon becoming engulfed by flames... Wait. Maybe... Owen turned to face the criminal again, Cassandra was trying to threaten him back. Don't put yourself in danger --actually... Owen's gaze returned to the flames near him. Maybe, maybe if the criminal's attention was taken...

Owen attempted to pull out his epee silently, a symbol of pride to the prince. I'm probably going to ruin it... so long as this works. Owen held the epee's blade in a fire, engulfing it with heat. Come on, heat up... A few blazes caught his hand, but Owen endured it and bit his lip.

Doug wished he knew where Niko was. He would certainly have the cooler head in this situation. Before he could address Owen, Cass went rushing into the burning building to rescue the half brother they worked hard putting in jail in the first place. Obviously, Owen went after her, leaving Doug wondering where the guards were in all of this. At this point, the rider remembered the task assigned by Adele: to guard the castle. He hated to admit it, but rescuing the royal siblings from burning themselves to death would qualify under that order. Doug regretted not entering that bathhouse; he'd much prefer his final image be a the naked bosom of a virgin maiden than a searing blaze.

"I think I know why Niko hates royalty," Doug said to himself as he too entered the burning dungeon.

The first thing Doug did was get on his hands and knees and crawl. He recalled from his training days that smoke rose; keeping low would lower the risk of suffocation. Of course, this worked for exiting a burning building. He never thought he'd be doing this to enter one. To keep himself calm under this pressure, he organized a list of rewards he would request for a successful rescue of the royal bloodline.

"1. I want to be bathed by topless maidens. 2. My own room in the castle. 3. A feast in my honor. 4. Order Claire into my chambers. 5. Force Jean to literally kiss my ass..."

The smoke grew thicker as he came closer to the others; he had to cough after getting a whiff. The banging of steel helped guide Doug to his destination. When he arrived, Doug saw that the three were confronted by the largest prisoner they could have the luck of running into.

"Figures," Doug thought as he picked himself up off the ground. Thank goodness he was still using his javelin to walk around. He never thought he'd be using it though.

"Hey Fatso!" Doug called the prisoner as he stepped in front of Owen and Cass. "I got your in 'n out right here! Put down the club unless you want some!"

As Doug brandished his javelin, he briefly glanced to the others before returning his gaze to his opponent.

"Get the hell out of here. I'll hold him off."

Edited by Toogee

Nap time

Bidding Serge a "good night", Larissa left the mercenary to his own devices. As he walked down the corridor, Duke Herman gave him a polite wave, carrying a fairly hefty stack of paper. Not stopping to chat, the Duke turned the corner, most likely heading off to do business.

Larissa wasn't wrong though, even when the corridor was empty... it still wasn't quite. Maybe she'd put the idea in his head, but there was at least some basis for it.

The flames of brotherhood

The brute laughed at Cass, having seen her "prowess" with the staff before. "Yer more likely to blast yer rookers off than do me in." he boasted, readying himself to take on the royals. "I wonder how my bratty is doin', he's probably gotten out too."

Doug's entrance would have seemed more heroic if it hadn't been for the appearance of an equally ugly thug behind him. "Ain't this bolshy." he laughed, holding a table leg in his hand. "Two brothers united again to oobivate together." The first thug seemed rather pleased at the second's appearance. "If you ain't been followin' the gazetta, we're the Morder brothers. Yer pa was awfully keen to lock us up an' chop our gullivers off, maybe we can return the favour to his kids an' the ugly kisa with the stick."

Gewaint couldn't believe how bad things had gotten, there was still part of him that wished Cassandra had just allowed him to burn. There was no chance they'd be able to take on one brother, let alone both. With the fire around them, even if they did manage to win, their chances of escape seemed pretty dire.

... I know you always said to me, father, that...

Sidney's writing started to trail off. Hmm, a bit tougher than I thought. Conceding that she would be unable to finish her letter just yet, she set it aside for the time being- besides, there seemed to be something of a commotion brewing. Done with sitting around for now, Sidney exited her chambers, looking for the cause of it.

"What's going on?" she asked aloud- and while nobody answered her directly, she heard something about a fire in the jail and the prince and princess in danger. She slipped past a few guards and headed in, navigating her way through the flames carefully but quickly, her skirt nearly catching aflame once. Stupid... I should've changed. Brushing it out fast enough, she saw quite a horrible situation before her- Owen, Cass, and Doug seemed to be confronted by two vile prisoners- armed ones, too. But the element of surprise was on her side.

Just when I was starting to shake off a tricky past, now I'm here... But Sidney recognized her situation was too dangerous to be worried about these things, and crept up to the man holding a table leg. Drawing her knife, she only hesitated briefly before shifting her hand and quickly slashing at his throat.

Seems I won't get any research done today Emmet thought. Though if I can get some work then it'll be worth it. Maybe I'll pop by the guild library later and see what they have. "Lead the way then mr...I don't believe you told me your name."

Edited by Jotari

Oh for goodness' sake. This just wasn't going their way at all, in fact, it was too much coincidence --both criminals had been released, but not Gewaint, even though the quality of the death row's cells should've meant they would be stuck and burned in the fire. Owen's eyes opened wide. Somebody else was here. No... they could still be here, and they know. They know more than we do. It was all foul play for sure, they made Cass play right into their trap, and Owen as well. I'm a fool! Damn it... Biting his lip again, Owen looked at his blade. It was shining faintly, heated in such a drastic manner, his hand gripping tightly despite the burns it received. It definitely wouldn't stand against a hit from that club now, but the last thing Owen needed now was to face the thugs in a fair battle.

Too bad my father didn't just chop off your heads sooner, you bastards. Owen took a single step, measuring the thugs' strength. I don't see myself winning one on one, let alone two of them, dammit. Holding the searing blade behind him, Owen rushed at the first sign of the first criminal readying his club to fight them --he wasn't going to give him the time to get ready. Owen attempted to slash at the thug's hands and wrists, trying to disable the man before he could take a swing. If he gets to fight me like that, I'm as good as dead. "Do it, Cass! We can't give them time, however you messed that up, do it again!" He shouted, attempting to throw a flurry of burning strikes at the criminal. Come on, the family's technique. Even Dettard managed, if only I can pull it off now...

It was a horrible outcome, having another equally large bandit sneak in from the shadows. To top it all off, none of the royals wanted to leave. They wanted to fight, to the death it would seem. The only person who wanted to leave was Doug, who hoped to bring up the rear for Owen and Cass's escape. These people were going to get him killed, and he wasn't talking about the bandits!

Out of nowhere, Sidney came up and slashed at one of the bandit's throats, while Owen went on the assault. Doug used the surprise to stab at the opposite bandit (the one not getting his throat slashed) in the gut with his javelin. He hoped this would be enough to incapacitate them, at least long enough for them to get away.

Another one!? This had gone past coincidence and Cass was pleased she'd ran in here-- only going to stay pleased if they made it out alive. Someone had set up Gewaint to die and knew she'd go in after him; were her emotions that easy to read? She cursed her own naivety, but now wasn't the time to get downtrodden about what had already happened. Someone had shown up to take care of the other, so she braced herself as Owen went in, aiming her staff at the first brute. If she knew an explosion was coming, she could stop it from knocking her back. "Gewaint, stay behind me!" She focused her magic again, hoping that the staff would produce the same effect, or do something to the man. If it worked this time and sent him out of the jail, that worked too! Even if he lived to come after them again, it wouldn't be in a burning dungeon.

The FUNgeon

The thug that Sidney attacked was caught off guard, her blade producing a fine laceration across his neck. "You little, sooka... I'll 'ave you next." he roared, ready to turn his club on Sidney. It hadn't been the lethal blow she'd expected, but the wound looked nasty, he'd probably bleed out if he left it untreated. Owen's strike left a nasty wound across the man's hand. Between the two of them they were at least keeping pace with the man.

Cass' staff sparked disobediently, it would have been a little optimistic to hope for a reliable result. The combined assault from Owen and Sidney seemed to be enough, but Gewaint wasn't ready to stay put. Grabbing one of the broken bars with his hand, he lunged for the brute, smacking him across the knee. The man was being backed into a corner from the assault, frighteningly near to a particularly large flame.

Doug had occupied the other man, his spear striking him in the middle. "Well ain't you an' ugly little sooka." he growled, ready to cave in Doug's face. "When I'm through with y-..."

A brilliant flash of green illuminated the room, casting light through the smoke. The man stopped mid-sentence, his face contorting with pain as he fell to the floor lifeless, blood leaking from his chest. Oswald stood behind the man, wielding a rather ornate blade in his hand, the weapon still shimmering a gentle green.

"Do not lay a hand on my children, you ruffians." he warned darkly, shaking the blood from his sword. "I may be frail, but I will not stand to see such violence against the crown. I extend you surrender unless you wish to replace your execution with a bonfire."

The thug didn't seem particularly keen on letting himself get caught again, he was rather intent on continuing his fight against Owen's forces.

With her staff not working and her axes left in her room, Cass was left with little option. Gasping and coughing as Gewaint joined the fight, she was relieved to see no harm come to him or anyone in the scuffle, save for the idiots who thought fighting in a fire was a good call. A brilliant green flashed through the room, and the man fell. Owen must have succeeded! Her relief mounting, she grabbed her half-brother's hand and started to drag him around the corpse-- only to realize who had put the man down. "F-Father!?" This was either wonderful, or incredibly unfortunate. She moved back a step, keeping herself squarely between him and Gewaint, lest he try to take advantage of the fire and confusion to do what the gallows were supposed to have done later that day. "I hope that claim extends to all your children!"