Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 2

Shin

At least he realized. But that was curious. "An 'axe t'the arm' was it?" she said, sighing. "Angus, if I'm to learn how to not throw myself at every problem that arises... You know you have to as well. You're not protecting anyone by risking your life fighting without a cause. I suppose getting beaten by Adele isn't so awful... Just promise me that you aren't going to do anything else like that again." The drink was looking rather tempting, but Cass held back. "Why have we never fought, Angus? You were always keen to teach me how to swing, but never to practice. Scared?" She managed a smile. "Afraid your princess will knock the hard working square down a peg?" A talk with someone like Angus, drunk or not, was what Cass had needed. Dressing up, sitting among royals... She loved Adele, and Owen was her brother, but the tension in the area had felt off, and the calm talks were not her forte.

"Ahhhhh, whatever... The day's done, and we're all alive. I learned my lesson. I won't be acting like a moron again, not like that..." Cass shuddered for a moment, remembering Adele's face from a few hours ago. I never want to see her like that again. "I suppose I should try and enjoy tonight, shouldn't I?"

Edited by Melissa

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[spoiler=Before the evening]Sidney walked slowly down the castle halls as evening approached. There was some sort of party to be had at the Lucky Goose, but first she'd hoped to speak with Cass. A maid had helpfully given her directions to the princess's room, and Sidney knocked on it upon arrival. "Princess Cassandra? It's Charlotte. If you're available, I'd like to talk about earlier. I didn't manage to speak with you earlier, but I would like to if possible."

Cass was holed up inside her room, trying to figure out which dress would be best to wear. She'd gotten Adele's blood on her regular clothes, so they had to take the backseat on tonight. She'd pulled out a rather different color, a celadon colored dress, covering up to her collar bone, with slits along the leg (in case she had to move, of course) and with no sleeves. A small, vividly red brooch sitting on a pink choker accompanied the ensemble, tied just tight enough around her neck. As she was fixing up her hair into a proper ponytail, she heard the knock on the door. "Sidney? The door's open. Feel free to come in." Hair was always the thing that took the longest for Cass to set up, which is why she'd normally only do it once a day... But, duty called.

"Sure." Sidney hadn't had the chance to look at Cass's room yet- it was somewhat fancier than the one that she had been granted to stay in, and the princess was dressed up plenty as well. "You look nice. The brooch is cute on you," she remarked at Cass's getup. "Do you need help with your hair?"

"Thank you, I suppose. An old hand-me-down from my mother. I've never thought to purchase real jewelry for myself, so this will do. And yes, please. I love my hair, but getting it up is such a hassle... You're being rather kind. Is there something you need?" Maybe there was nothing behind the offer, but Cass did have to ask. She'd only become friends with Sidney recently.

"I do have something to tell you," Sidney admitted, starting work on Cass's hair quickly- she had a general idea of how the princess kept it from before. "Please be less forthcoming with my information in the future. You could've seriously jeopardized me when you told the Raewalden diplomats about me... like I said, I was last seen in Raewald in jail. Fortunately Alain was clearly something of a novice since I went by unnoticed, and the others might've heard the name and not made the connection or something, but imagine if they were more well-versed, or it had been a member of the Court send here! Surely then they would know of my family, and then I'd be in trouble. So I'm sure you can see my predicament here..."

"Alright, just make sure the ponytail's behind my head, this time, not on the side. Need to look a bit more professional." Cass sat up straight, listening to Sidney, and nodding, a small look of shock on her face. "Well, I'd known you were in a bit of trouble, but not that much trouble! I'll certainly keep my mouth shut, if it's serious. But... You do know you'll have to deal with that eventually, right? Can't just run around other countries and put off something like jail time, especially if you escaped from it, or something. We did meet you a thief, so that doesn't feel like a far off assumption to make!" Cass thought for a moment over how bad whatever Sidney had done was, but she'd not told anyone, to her knowledge.

"Either way, I won't do it again. You've nothing to worry about."

Sidney's expression turned sullen at Cass's words. "I'm very aware. I'm not above consequences. I wrote most of a letter to my mother and father today... I was planning on finishing it and having it sent tomorrow so I can try and talk to them again. I was rather childish about the situation for a long time, so it's about time I make things a bit better. But thank you for being very cooperative about it." She slipped the ponytail on, giving the princess a quick pat on the head as she finished. "There, you look great! What do you think for me? Anything else I should do before we go?" She posed briefly, smirking a bit at the situation.

"I'm glad you're taking responsibilities for it, even if I would say you're doing it a bit late." Cass did her signature grumble at the pat, but her hair felt secure, and she could see it was up well in the mirror. Fashion had never been her strong suit. Even her dresses were things either bought for her by her mother, or picked out by the maids. They worked, from what she could tell, but simple clothes would always be what she preferred. As for what Sid was wearing? Cass spun herself around to see, looking her once over, up and down. "I think all the gold is a bit gaudy," she said, flatly, "but that doesn't make it bad; I wouldn't be caught dead wearing it, is all. Otherwise, the bow is a nice touch. Trying to further impress my brother?" To say she was fine with Sidney making moves on Owen now would be false, but as long as she didn't have to see it, it wasn't the worst thing.

"Wouldn't be caught dead wearing it? You wound me, princess," Sidney half-teased, but half-seriously complained. "But then you say it doesn't make it bad... those are two very different descriptors! I rather like them, personally... I do agree about the bow, though. I thought it complemented the other colors well." Cass guessing at her (apparently thin) motives caused a bit of a flush, but nothing too much. "Well, he helped me pick some of my clothes the first evening here, so I'd imagine he does like them. I think he liked the cerulean dress best, but it's not ready to be worn right now after the fire, so this will do."

"I'm not especially into dressing fancy. My normal attire is all I've ever bought for myself. Even this dress is just a gift. So I'm not the biggest fan of extra trinkets and bobbles on my person. I even only wear this," she motioned slightly at her choker, "because it's a gift from my mother. That's why I say they probably aren't bad; my opinion is fairly jaded. I'm sure Owen will enjoy them." Cass did grin a moment, standing from her chair. "It does amuse me that the mention of you pleasing Owen causes such a bright reaction. I suppose I must have just caught you off guard, but... Well, I'll keep it in mind, at the very least. If you do end up doing anything with him, do be kind. His sister has a bit of a temper."

"I think that's still a far cry from the phrasing you used! I think it's good to look nice when the occasion calls for it," Sidney reasoned. Then Cass brought up Owen again. Why does this keep happening? Can I truly never be lucky? "I don't see the problem... I enjoy spending time with him, and he doesn't mind my company either. We understand each other well, and I don't feel that I really connect with a person very often, and both of us have plenty of common interests. He's a pretty good dancer. Anyway, I don't really see what that has to do with it." She shifted uncomfortably, realizing she had made an admission that hadn't even come up yet trying to defend herself. Why do I even try?

"Because I'm his sister! It's my job to be overprotective towards him and anyone that fancies him... Or was that the other way around? Whatever. I'm mostly joking. Mostly. So you've danced with him?" she asked, spinning back around to face Sidney. "I've only ever seen him dance a few times, not partaking because I find dancing to be quite a chore. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that you know how to dance. Have you done anything else with him, then?" she asked with a grin, taking a step closer and chuckling. "Of course, now that I know you've done something, I'm sure he'd tell me if there was something else, if you're unwilling. He's very open with the right coercion. So why not tell me now?" Oh, this was fun now~

"He's older than you, it is the other way around! It's none of your business..." Sidney protested. "Yes, I'm a good singer and dancer. What's the big idea, anyway? I'm not bothering you about who you like and whatever you do with them, so I don't see why you need to know for me."

"Sidney, in the weeks you've known me, you have teased me near relentlessly, up until only a few days ago. I have finally found a way to press your buttons back, and it's all in good fun, so I'm going to~" Cass concluded with a small hop, turning towards the door. "That said, we have a party to attend, so I will relent. I'm sure Owen will appreciate your dress, and your attire. Enjoy~" Cass supposed someone would have to. She definitely would have a... bit of trouble, enjoying herself.

Sidney barely resisted rolling her eyes at some of the events unfolding, most of them involving the loser with an axe. Unbelievable. He can barely even behave himself. One of her questions was answered when Adele explained to this Emmet- a new Reliant, apparently- that her hand injury had come from a broken teacup. Not sure how much I believe that, though it is bizarre to make up something like that. She tensed up a bit at Emmet mentioning her origin. "How do you know me?" she asked as soon as Adele had gotten her own questions out of the way, not bothering to introduce herself- apparently he knew her already anyway, and either way her mood had suddenly become quite foul.

Angus slowly lifts his head off the table. [i'm... not being murdered?] He meets Cassandra's gaze at the mention of doing something like that again, shaking his head. Soon enough, he has his chance to comment--speaking instead of the two sparring, to keep the mood up.

"See, tha's jus' 'cause I don' wan'ta win. I wouldn' ever time, bu' some of 'em I would, an tha'--tha's jus' unmanly!" He thumbs towards Adele, making the contrast apparent. "I knew she'd win, so tha' wasn' an issue. You an' me, I'd guess i's more even wiffout Agro, eh?" Angus gives Cassandra a friendly elbow to the ribs. "And 'sides, don' sell yourself short! Th'night's young, there's always time t'do somethin' unwise, eh~?" The thought had been more to make light of the world's dangers, but it didn't exactly come out that way, which even the drunk squire recognized.

Edited by Terrador

Angus had left him alone at his seat to go over and talk to someone else. Which was fine. He wasn't lonely. He didn't mind. Not at all...

...Of course he minded. He had so much on his mind that he wanted to get off his chest. But that was Serge's problem. Not Angus's. Nobody has time for a sob story. And Serge knew he shouldn't be wallowing in his self-pity. He wasn't nearly drunk enough. He slowly drank the rest of his mug, and when it was empty he spoke up. "Bartender? 'nother drink, please..." Serge held his head in his hand as his elbow hit the counter. This shit was strong. He was already starting to slur his words. Dad must be real fucking proud of me, you sorry excuse for a man, Serge. He thought to himself. He was gonna feel this later.

"Unmanly, hmmm? There's more to it than that. Probably. But there's no point in forcing it out of you, at least not right now." Probably something to do with her being the princess, again. It shouldn't have bothered her, but it felt a bit off that of everyone that would swing a stick at her, Angus wouldn't. She absently stared at the glass, the temptation mounting. Cass, you've never drank before, having one now while you're still on and off is not going to do any good. At least get to feeling good before you try it![/s] "Alright! You're right, but... I need a moment. To clear my head, and all that. Just going to step outside for some fresh air, and I'll be right back."

Cass hopped off her stool, giving Angus a small wave and making for the door. At least the night sky was pretty. The fresh air from the outdoors breathing some life back into Cass. She looked up and gave the stars a look through, pointing out constellations in her mind. "I'll be fine. I'll go back in, and talk to Owen, Adele, Sidney... Everything'll be fine, we'll laugh and have a good evening."

The lady Charlotte interrupted Emmet's conversation with Adele. She was glaring at him defensively. "I recognise your face. I was serving in the military when you were arrested. It must be nearly six or seven years ago at this stage. It was quite a scandal at the time."

Angus sits alone for a moment, eyeing the other drink before deciding better of it. [Probably should keep her company; nice part of town, but still.] Two boots fall heavy on the ground. They carry the drunk fellow out the door, where he catches wind of the Princess' wistful words. [Don't speak. Let her be. If she wants to talk, she will.] Instead, he leans against the wall of the Goose, trying to look anywhere but directly at her. [How much of a show was she trying to put on, anyhow?]

"Father had him enrolled in the WRMA... he's been locked in his room studying ever since we arrived home." Adele replied, as Owen asked of Graham. The Lady Herman couldn't help but give a light giggle at the whole scenario, now that it came to mind. Cassandra soon got up to leave the table, and Adeltrudis had been about to call out to her when she noticed that Angus had already made his way over. She'd be safe with the squire, at the very least. Coming back to reality just in time to catch Emmet mention that Sidney had been arrested back home... that was... news. She didn't reply to it quite yet at any rate, waiting to see what defense the Raewalden might muster... was Owen aware of this?

Cass heard the door, looking back at Angus. "Angus, you don't need to follow me like a lost puppy, you know?" She giggled, at the least, sighing and looking back at the stars. "Do you think Wyke's really all that great?" she asked, suddenly. "I'm not too sure, anymore. With everything that's happened, my Father included, I... I have trouble feeling proud to be here." Cass didn't seem sad about it, more like she was lost in thought. "I might be overthinking it. We have plenty that's nice here, don't we? I suppose I'm just... Losing myself in the stars. They make me feel so small. Like I'm not as important as everyone tells me. But they're lovely to look at. The night sky is beautiful." Cass smiled, turning back to him. "Let's go back in, hmm? I've a conversation to return to."

Can't let you do that

As Cass turned to the door, she was met by an ugly brute, his lopsided face smirking stupidly. "Yer might need to make other plans, devotchka." he laughed, cracking his knuckles. "A droog asked us to fetch yer for some of the ol' in-an'-out, out-an'-in, and who are we to skatz no?"

He certainly was a brute, probably too big to take on alone. She had Angus with her, which would have been fine in any other circumstance... if it hadn't been for the other four brutes with them, one of which appeared to be the doorman. At least two of them were armed with clubs, leaving the noble pair with relatively few options. "Run along, mooncalf. If yer know what's dobby for yer. Unless yer want in on' this rabbit."

What? What was this? "Is this some sort of joke? A drunkard, too full of ale, finding a pretty woman and fancying himself funny?" Cass scoffed, moving to go back inside, though the brute moved in front of her, keeping her from the door. Of all the... "Out of my way, you moron!" she barked, looking over at Angus only to notice another man-- and then spinning around to notice the others. "Wh-What..." Uhh... "A-Angus get back inside, get Owen!" This was, perhaps, a bit more serious than she'd assumed. Without hesitation, she flung a fist at the brute's lopsided face, hoping to take the surprise momentum and run with it.

Angus' reflexes weren't horrendously quick, but he sure knew a time to move when he saw one. He brought up his axe as if to attack one man, but instead, threw it down into the doorman's foot, before slamming towards the door. [Any cost, open the door!]

"... I see." Sidney's eyes narrowed, clearly cross. Was serving, he said. That means he probably isn't here for any official reasons. "It was less than five years ago, thank you very much, I'm not that old. And I would appreciate you not bringing that up anymore. I'm a guest of Prince Owen's here, and I was very helpful on his recent travels."

Emmet scratched his chin. "Huh. Was it really that recent? I must have been in the priesthood at the time then. My memory is all a muddle. Good to see you alive and free regardless. I always like to support a free spirit. Though in your case serving out the sentence would probably have been wiser." He nodded at Adele. "What brings you into the company of my new employer?"

No dice!

The door screamed as Angus chopped his foot, however, the others were wise, two large brutes grabbed hold of the noble, forcing him to the floor, with a boot to his head. He'd had the right idea, but the booze had dulled his reactions, making him vulnerable to their assault "Not a sneet o' it. I'm gonna give you soviet an' tell yah to stay still, otherwise we'll crack yer gulliver."

Cass' fist was well placed, but the man's nose crumbled as she struck it - he was probably used to fist fights... and worse. Blood dripped from his face, the man not happy. "Nice hook, devotchka, but yer a little too small to take me on." The remaining men grabbed Cass, forcing a sack over her head as she struggled. "Yer be comin' wid us, we got a dinner date fo' yer ter attend." one sniggered. Hoisting her up, the pair carried her like a log, down towards an alleyway, and the dodgy part of town.

Edited by Shin

Oh no. While her punch had been wonderfully struck, it had done nothing but wound and enrage the man, not moving him aside an inch. "Angus, what're you-- A-Angus!" Cass yelped, finally catching sight of him being tackled to the ground. About to attempt another punch, her world went dark, and her arms were grabbed. "What's going on!? Let me go! Let me go, damn you all!" She barked again, though without being able to see anything, it was hard to retaliate. She knew she was being carried off somewhere, and she tired to kick at whoever had grabbed her legs, but it was too late. They were already moving. Oh Gods... This is really happening, isn't it? "Angus! Angus don't let Owen tell Father! Whatever you do!" She hoped he'd catch that much, before she was too far off. The last thing she needed was to be rescued, only to hear her father had succumbed over the news. Owen, Adele, you'll find me, I know you will, so... I-I just have to stay strong!

Angus roars, struggling for his axe. "I'll show you a cracked gulliver, you shit-eating brigand! I've killed a dozen punks tougher'n you this month! I'll rip yer throat out an' shit down th--". The ruffian seemed to have had enough, stomping on Angus' head. Though he finally seemed to realize his best bet was to get a warning out, doing so with a broken nose and a tooth or two in his gullet was... difficult, to say the least. At very least, the sorry bastard caught Cassandra's order as he scrabbled for consciousness.

What was...? An odd sound... from outside? It almost sounded like a scream, but why would... Adele scanned the room, her eyes widening in horror. Neither Angus nor Cassandra were anywhere to be seen. Had they stepped out? If so, then a scream was...

Without a moment's delay, Adele stood from her seat, and briskly began to move towards the door that Cass had been closest to when she had last seen the Princess, and the direction of the noise. As she opened it, things became abundantly clear... Angus was on the ground, currently being held down, and Cass was gone. The scream echoed through her head, it was neither of theirs... ah, a bloody axe by her foot, Angus', no doubt. It only took a moment for it all to register in her head. Diving low to grab the axe as she passed, the young Lady winced as she saw Angus' head get stepped on, tightening her grip on the axe as she lunged it towards the ruffian the throat of the ruffian that had just stomped on the squire.

"What the hell?" Serge had heard something from outside, and he spun around towards the door. But before he could get up, Adele had already rushed outside before Serge could even get a chance to move. "Lady Adele! Wait!" He didn't wait for Doug and Emmet, Serge immediately got off his chair and left his mug on the counter, before rushing to where he put down his scabbard and put it on his back.

It was dark outside save for the light of the stars and moon out in the night, and he could clearly see Angus face first in the dirt thanks to some thug, and Adele diving for a bloodied axe. "What the fuck is going on?!" He said before drawing his sword, while standing in the doorway.

Edited by Dandragon

Mid conversation Adele scrambled out of her seat and beelined towards the door. Was that a scream? "Seems we'll have to continue this conversation some other time, lady Charlotte. Something is happening outside." Emmet rushed after his employer but found Serge blocking him in the doorway. "Move" Emmet grunted as he pushed past the boy. He didn't like to be so discurtious but something was clearly wrong. Outside he found Adele in combat with a rough looking fellow. The squire he had met earlier that day was also in combat. He drew Pinaka from beneath his cape and quickly readied an arrow. He dare not shoot near his allies in fear of hitting them so he launched at one of the other thugs that were clearly part of the gang. At this range not even he could miss, surely?

Edited by Jotari

After a disappointing celebration, Doug was told by Niko to attend a party at the Lucky Goose ("I knew we'd get in!"). It was perhaps the only way to save this day. He had to clean himself up first. Rather than arrive with the others, the rider spent a good bit of time getting himself a new look. After a visit to a local tailor, he managed to get a decent set of man clothes. He adorned a white buttoned shirt, with three of the buttons left open for some chest exposure. The shirt was then tucked into, yes, a pair of black pants! Finally, people would look at him normally once more. Though he kept his own boots (they matched well enough), Doug decided to splurge on a cane. He thought it made himself more sophisticated.

And so, Doug made his way to the party, fashionably late. He would arrive just as the party was dying down, only to bring it back up with his new look. From there, he would regale the others with his tale of rescuing the prince and princess from fiery doom. Yes, celebration would ensue and...why was Adele beating up some guy?

"Of course..." Doug said silently. Apparently, a night of celebration couldn't just be that. Not with this lot. He held his cane in both hands and took a swing at oneof the bandits holding Angus down. He aimed for the back of the knee, hoping to leave him open for a follow-up blow to the head.

"Do not tell me what I would be wise to do," Sidney began, but more prudent problems seemed to have come up quickly. The men at the door were being dealt with by others quickly, but of far more importance to her was that Cass had vanished. It wasn't too hard to guess where they were heading- a trail of blood dripped along the ground. I hope it isn't hers... Readying her concealed knife and brushing past the scene in front of the tavern, she started to track down the trail, hoping her natural quickness would let her find whoever she needed to.

Edited by Reinfleche

Everything was happening so fast. Adele was swinging at the thug's throat, Emmet had moved through Serge to aim his bow, and the lady he couldn't identify before was off rushing towards what was a few guys carrying something... He wasn't able to make it out. But she was fast. Too fast for Serge to catch up. Then, he noticed another thug. Before he could do anything, Serge thrust his sword into the other thugs gut, moving away from the door so he could allow others to get outside. As he stabbed, he yelled to the inside of the bar. "Hey! We got some trouble outside!"

Bar fight

The brute never saw Adele's axe coming, letting out a gurgling cry as blood spurted from his throat, soon crumbling to the ground and relieving Angus of the foot to his head. The next had no chance to deal with the combined power of Pinaka and Doug's cane, the strike only priming him to get a magical arrow to the face. The last was the doorman, but Serge had made quick work of him, the blade finding a nice place in his intestines.

All three men had been slain, although the other two had fled with Sidney in pursuit. One of the bar staff stepped through the door, approaching Adele. Almost immediately she could recognise the face of Sebastian, who had likely been at the bar during her time there.

"This man's one of the usual doormen, Lady Adeltrudis. He's not known to have any criminal ties." he spoke quitely, uncaring of his sudden intrusion. "The other two aren't though, simply brutes hired from the slums. This appears to be a complex operation. Shall I begin assisting in hunting down the remaining targets?"

A few other guests inside had started to gather, gasping in horror at the dead men on the floor. Quite a scene was starting to develop, one that would need to be dealt with.

Nanananana...

The goons had been given quite the headstart on Sidney, although she had the advantage of being rather nimble and not carrying a princess. On the other hand, her attire wasn't exactly best suited for chasing down thugs. The blood trail had quickly begun to dry up, the man hadn't bled too profusely. However, it take her down a dark alleyway, and a narrow one at that.

Ahead was a rather small man, looking to the side with a rather puzzled expression. He wasn't a particularly handsome man, not by any means. In fact, he was probably more rodent than man, his nose twitching as Sidney hurtled towards him.

Valuable Load

Cass' kidnappers were hurrying down into the dodgy part of town, doing their best to stop Cass from wriggling her way out. "Hey, devotchka, yer beginnin' to razdraz me, if yer shoom an' all that, you're gonna vred yerself more than we're goin' to." the front man barked. The second one looked around, doing his best to hold Cass' ankles.

"Yer think the starry guy can handle this scoteena? It'll be the end if the rozzers viddy our yarbles." he asked.

"...Alright, what's going on?" The situation went from zero to one hundred rather quickly. Owen opted to only observe as Adele made it outside, but as soon as Serge yelled back rather unceremoniously, Owen figured what party was left would be better off postponed. Honestly, after a day like today, I'd rather no drunkard moron is ruining the party for somebody... Owen made it out and to the door quickly, and looking outside quickly changed his expression from tired and mildly annoyed to alarmed.

"What in Engel's name is going on here?" Owen scanned the blood and skewered men lying on the floor. These men... picked a fight with Angus, he looks like was roughed up badly --wait. "Where's Cass?!" Owen looked to Adele, as usual, hoping at least she could have an answer.

Edited by Xinnidy