FEGame - Check first post!

In the Preparations Screen, when Viewing Map...  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Press B to return to the menu? (keeping in mind B is no longer the button that speeds up the cursor)

• Yes, pressing B in FE8 was convenient!
    • No, pressing B in FE8 made it annoying!

An idea I had is that since Rolo runs over a cult full of dark mages, maybe his cult was responsible for the death of Tethys? And maybe when Rolo gets recruited, he has a convo with Ewan. Plus his ability to give support bonuses to dark mages, it would be kinda funny if Ewan gained bonuses from him, even though he hates him.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An idea I had is that since Rolo runs over a cult full of dark mages, maybe his cult was responsible for the death of Tethys? And maybe when Rolo gets recruited, he has a convo with Ewan. Plus his ability to give support bonuses to dark mages, it would be kinda funny if Ewan gained bonuses from him, even though he hates him.

I was thinking some twisted asshole noble who likes torturing people. Said noble didn't know that Tethys had a younger brother who had some innate magical talent.

Well, uh, not precisely.

Contrast the shaman with the mage-

rei_shaman_flux.gif

erk_mage_magic.gif

The Shaman raises their arms and their cape moves upwards, but they don't have any other motion.

In contrast, the mage does a few steps and twirls.

The latter is more lively, more animated.

...Does that make any sense?

Yes it does.

More animated sounds bettercooler

Alright, I'll see how I do on the portrait animations and chibi head thing. I'll also try and make a battle sprite for him, too. This is entirely new to me, so I'll do my best!

EDIT: Maybe I'll make the battle sprite actually look like Stephan. I depends on my skill...

Edited by Power Master

Ok, since we got lord classes, I would like to suggest a change to Dominik's promotion path.

Conscript into Ephraim!Lord into Wyvern Knight.

And have Ephraim!Lord give +1 movement on promotion from Conscript.

EDIT: The reason is that I honestly don't like unpromoted knights in GBA FE. Also, Conscript base move is 5 and knight base move is 4, and losing stats on promotion is dumb.

Edited by mcdoga

Yes it does.

More animated sounds bettercooler

well yay, but also boo

I was going to do a thing but Char?/47948201 already has a note in the doc and in here saying that they're doing it so I guess me asking was kind of pointless

(Unless they only mean the mug, as opposed to the battle sprite.)

EDIT: The reason is that I honestly don't like unpromoted knights in GBA FE.

T0 units (A -> B -> C) only have 4 move*, so there wouldn't be stat loss there..?

Also, Conscript base move is 5 and knight base move is 4, and losing stats on promotion is dumb.

buh...

but then you only have stat loss because you want the t0 to have 5 movement.

Color me confused especially considering you can just say "armor knight with 5 base move".

*not that you can't have a T0 unit with 5 move, just that all the example T0 units have 4.

I edited my original post and added a custom spritesheet of a Nino mage with staves, I just wanted to know if FEXNA also requires animations to be coded like in ROMHacks?

Yes, it requires animation timings and other effects if applicable

I'm not sure if there's a GBA -> XNA porter though..

---

I guess I'll... start tackling the themed magic knights?

White Knight [sword + Light] -> Holy Knight [sword + Light + Staff]

Rune Knight [Lance + Anima] -> Spell Knight

Dark Knight [Axe + Dark] -> Demon Knight [Axe + Dark + Bow]

ugh that's a lot of anims.

well yay, but also booI was going to do a thing but Char?/47948201 already has a note in the doc and in here saying that they're doing it so I guess me asking was kind of pointless(Unless they only mean the mug, as opposed to the battle sprite.)T0 units (A -> B -> C) only have 4 move*, so there wouldn't be stat loss there..?buh...but then you only have stat loss because you want the t0 to have 5 movement.Color me confused especially considering you can just say "armor knight with 5 base move".*not that you can't have a T0 unit with 5 move, just that all the example T0 units have 4.Yes, it requires animation timings and other effects if applicableI'm not sure if there's a GBA -> XNA porter though..---I guess I'll... start tackling the themed magic knights?White Knight [sword + Light] -> Holy Knight [sword + Light + Staff]Rune Knight [Lance + Anima] -> Spell KnightDark Knight [Axe + Dark] -> Demon Knight [Axe + Dark + Bow]ugh that's a lot of anims.

Oh. I thought T0 units had 5 base move. I still want Dominik to promote from conscript to Ephraim!Lord and then to Wyvern Knight.

Kabocha battle sprites AND PALETTES :D

(people shouldn't worry a ton about palettes in general but if you do want to make yourself some battle sprite colors, I won't complain~)

lol redheads but wow eclipse backstories are dark though i guess that's kinda how a lot of people end up fighting so

Okay yeah Ephraim Lord sprite probably makes more sense as between Conscript(GBA Soldier) and Wyvern Knight. But people using Lord classes should also come up with new names for them!

FEXNA animations are pretty easy, but I grew up in the days of MK404 method so anything is convenient compared to that xP

I do have a fair bit of experience in that area, so I should be able to figure out the timings/positioning/etc.

Yeah Conscripts do have 4 movement, but *shrug* whichever you want

The knight trio can start promoted if you prefer, or can have both promoted and unpromoted sprites. I actually give the player two promoted units as early as chapter 1, and more throughout earlygame, so it shouldn't be a bad thing if you want to cut the spritework in half, it'll just change how the units play.

I was going to type up a post with lots of details about FEXNA animation formatting, then I remembered Yeti did a bunch of stuff so basically you can just slap them on a page in evenly-spaced boxes of whatever size is convenient, don't even worry about making them align with each other in boxes as long as they don't encroach on other frames' space, like this:

6c1d7b9f22da19d35744b85c1bfaa374.png

(obviously don't actually draw the lines)

EDIT: The difference in performance is negligible, but actually it's better if the sprites face right, actually

I'm not sure if there's a GBA -> XNA porter though..

check r/fexna

Edited by 47948201

New class names? FUN FUN FUN!

Eliwood!KnightLord is now Legend

Ephraim!Lord is now Destined Hero (if that's too long, make it Great Hero)

Hmm interesting I notice that you really lack later recruits how about a recruitable Boss as those are always interesting

The following is an idea that has been in my head of a glass canon mage and her trusty monster pet.

Shira

Class? Um which magic classes are you using?

Weapons used Light Dark Anima all starting at C rank

-15% HP

-5% strength(if separate)

-105% Magic

-75%Skill

-105%Speed

-75% Luck

-5% Defense

-5% Resistance

Weapon ranks: light B anima B and dark B (C if you recruit her earlier)

Invetory:Siege Tome+standard high might and crit B ranked tome of choice(don't know your weapon ssytem)

Personal Skill Biblophile-weight of tomes is reduced the reduction can be balanced accordingly

A young female mage with abnormally high speed skill and magic but abnormally abysmal defensive stats. Effectively a glass canon that can be expected to double enemies with magic, she relies on dodging and can not take a hit. feel free to tweak as needed to balance it

Character description: A prodigy at magic raised from a tender young age by a questionable teacher who simply wanted his magical legacy to be inherited by a worthy disciple. As such while passionate and knowledgeable about magic she lacks an understanding of right and wrong. Adores Blinky Her Pet Morgall,given to her by her late master.

+0-1 Umm did this just happen? I promised not to shame master...
+2-4 Well I improved... sigh... Back to tome training...
+5-6 Casting speed and control, once you have the basics it is all about casting speed and control master always said that...
+7+ Wow! My Magic feels like it has surged! Master's training was right!

Blinky(Unique eye color to differentiate from generics if you use them)I'm thinking green?

-description a strange Morgall more curious than aggressive

Class morgall

con: (high enough to use its spell effectively after promotion)

growths

-45% HP

-5% strength(if separate)

-85% Magic

-45%Skill

-45%Speed

-100% Luck

-25% Defense

-55% Resistance

(or at least high magic and skill low defense and strength(if applicable) and about average everything else)

-C rank in dark magic

weapon would be a leveling variant of evil eye Levels via weapon rank increasing might up to s

-curiosity-chance to find something interesting after defeating an enemy(random weapon or tome) chance= luck/4

-Arcane blessing-(Class skill for tamed Mogalls) restores one use to adjacent mages tomes at the end of the turn(up to tomes max usage)(why else would mages keep giant floating eyeball creatures around?) might need limits to prevent siege tomes from being too op thoughts?

Level up quotes would be more gesture descriptions and sounds as it can't exactly talk...

+0-1 *stares blankly* wimper...
+2-4 Hn? *blink* wimper
+5-6 Sckreep! *spins in midair
+7+ *blink* *blink* !!! Scree! *does happy dance*

Recruitment Begins in an earlier chapter with the apearence of Mogalls under the control of mages One of them is not generic and is named Blinky. In order to start the recruitment chain talk to Blinky. Once talked to Blinky will turn into a green unit. Make sure he leaves the map safely.

When Shira's chapter comess long as Blinky was successfully talked to and not killed Both Shira and Blinky will not initiate attack. Talk to Shira with your lord character to Recruit Shira and Blinky. If possible have her initiate the conversation otherwise the standard player recruitment would work.

If Blinky dies in the perceeding map she will be distraught and can not be recruited.

Edit how do you put pictures here? it says I need a web picture but I only have a file.... I don't have any photosharing sites is their a way to upload it as a file?

Names good, blinking frames good (that is one red mouth, but if that's not intentional I can fix it), chibi good c:

Both Shira and Blinky sound good, I like the multi-chapter recruitment and the pet Mogall deal. Magic classes, I can do weapon level reassignment or class renaming as much as anyone wants, the sprites I'm using are all of the FEGBA ones, that is:

Mage, Monk, Shaman, Cleric, Troubadour, Sage, Mage Knight, Valkyrie, Bishop, Druid, Summoner, Necromancer, Dark Druid, Archsage, any I forgot? Basically if it has a GBA sprite (even if someone else made it, if you get permission), it's usable. Obviously there's not normally a Necromancer or Archsage sprite for females, as examples, but yeah.

Pictures, if you press More Reply Options then you can Attach Files.

OKAY BEOWULF TIME

Name: Matthew

Class: Mage (promotes into Mage knight)

Appearance: Rennac

Recruitment chapter: Matthew is escaping from bandits. Talk with Christian and pay 5,000 gold to recruit.

SOMEBODY WRITE SOME DIALOGUE FOR ME IM OUT OF IDEAS FOR GOOD WRITING

Um, the Mage Knight class I want to be like the Dark Knight class in Awakening and Fates. That means both swords and tomes are usable (oh boy).

Also, does the strength/magic split exist in FEXNA? Cause that will alter my planned growths.

LETS MAKE SOME GROWTHS

HP- 60%

Strength- 55%

Magic- 70%

Skill- 35%

Speed- 55%

Luck- 110%

Defense- 30%

Resistance- 65%

No strength/magic split! I think by default, a unit's strength and magic will be the same, if they have both magic and weapons, but I should be able to make a skill that, for example, makes strength be a certain percentage of magic or something, for characters that particularly want it (or make that the default and make a skill that some units can be equally adept with both)

But yes, once we get a sprite for whichever one of the knight trio uses the Mageknight sprite as a base (if any, but even if not I'm sure one will be close enough to edit) then that should be viable.

Use imgur.com as a way to upload images, then use bb code to act as placeholder linking the image to your post visible to us without having us to click on it.

Edit: So you can't do str/mag split for Arulle? She's kinda meant to be a magical type end game.

Edited by Fateborn

I can do stuff where, for example, a character's magical damage is tied to another stat, even level, or even weapon level, probably. Or visa-versa for physical damage. Short of actually creating a new stat, I can do basically anything that fits a specific case~

Ok then. How about we just call strength/magic "power" like in FE1?

Also, since no strength magic split, Matthew's "power" growth will be 65%

Yeah, Power is actually how the stat is called a lot of places in-engine, even a couple places ingame (like the Unit screen)

But if there's no character with substantially different strength and magic stats or anything, then I probably will do something along those lines, yes.

Also, until we have a finalized Mage knight sprite, I think it should use the sword animation from the Ranger and the tome animation from the Mage Knight

Well as long as I'm debugging, I just leave animations off. I'll be adding them nearer to the end, since I know they won't negatively impact gameplay.

Portraits won't either, but they're less of a "plug-in and everything works" deal, since cutscenes want to be made with the sprites in mind.

Names good, blinking frames good (that is one red mouth, but if that's not intentional I can fix it), chibi good c:

Both Shira and Blinky sound good, I like the multi-chapter recruitment and the pet Mogall deal. Magic classes, I can do weapon level reassignment or class renaming as much as anyone wants, the sprites I'm using are all of the FEGBA ones, that is:

Mage, Monk, Shaman, Cleric, Troubadour, Sage, Mage Knight, Valkyrie, Bishop, Druid, Summoner, Necromancer, Dark Druid, Archsage, any I forgot? Basically if it has a GBA sprite (even if someone else made it, if you get permission), it's usable. Obviously there's not normally a Necromancer or Archsage sprite for females, as examples, but yeah.

Pictures, if you press More Reply Options then you can Attach Files.

I'm no good with shading, so no, the mouth isn't supposed to be THAT red haha. If anyone can make that look better, please do!