In which blah the Prussian blind reacts to FE Fates: Conquest

If I remember correctly, Izumo, where Izana is from, and Nestra, the country where the opera house is, are neutral countries. There are others, but they involve spoiler territory, or are ambigious on that.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the style of the portraits are a bit same face-y so physical differences have to be inferred. The haircolors though have more themes to them, here are the sampled palettes:

tumblr_o4vrzl3DND1r4k8lno2_250.pngtumblr_o4vrzl3DND1r4k8lno1_250.png

Brunettes/Redheads vs Blonds/Greys, the game

Also I heard there was salt about worldbuilding. I definitely am in the camp of "this game has such potential, which went untapped", and personally found localization attempts at greying up Hoshido weak in that fact that NO ONE reacts to the said moments (cause the plot wasn't written for it).

Edit: Also don't read the ff.net version of Into A Walled Garden, the AO3 copy I edit way more often- it's the smoother read.

Edited by Damosel

There's also the fact that we have no idea why Cheve rebelled. We assume it's because Garon's a dick, but Lanko has provided evidence that Garon isn't all that oppressive when it comes to governing territories. Which calls into question, how does everyone else see Garon? We get to see he's blatantly evil through the eyes of the royals, but they are his family and thus get to see him up close, something a regular person wouldn't be able to do. How is he seen by the rest of the royal court? What does the average Nohrian citizen think of him?

We don't know to do lack of world building, but it could possibly be something like Hitler's rise to power and Nazi Germany. The country is in bad shape, and this guy comes along saying he can fix it. Everyone is so desperate that they follow him, and blinded by nationalism and propaganda, they ignore all the bad stuff he's having the country do because he's actually giving them hope and improving the economy, for the time being, at the least. (Which brings up, how does an average Nohrian view the war?)

Speculation and alternative interpretations are fine but the game is pretty clear on how we are supposed to feel about the rebellions. Kamui spares every Hoshidan and rebel that he can but he DOESN'T make much an effort to spare regular Nohrian soldiers. The game doesn't show us why Cheve rebelled but it's implied they did it for good reasons. I think it would be pretty reaching to say they had malevolent intentions because if they did, the game would have told us.

Unfortunately the style of the portraits are a bit same face-y so physical differences have to be inferred. The haircolors though have more themes to them, here are the sampled palettes:

tumblr_o4vrzl3DND1r4k8lno2_250.pngtumblr_o4vrzl3DND1r4k8lno1_250.png

Brunettes/Redheads vs Blonds/Greys, the game

Also I heard there was salt about worldbuilding. I definitely am in the camp of "this game has such potential, which went untapped", and personally found localization attempts at greying up Hoshido weak in that fact that NO ONE reacts to the said moments (cause the plot wasn't written for it).

*squints because of vision issues* Am I looking at that wrong...or does Nohr actually have more lighter hair colors than Hoshido?

Yeah, the physical features would have to be inferred. There are also things like dialect and language as a whole to take into account.

Obviously, the game is portrayed in the language of the viewer/player but Hoshido seems to have some Japanese language available in-universe. I mean, take Hana, Tsubaki and Sakura, for example. In Hana x Hayato's support, she asks for a purse with cherry blossom pattern to honor Sakura and she asks for one with camellia print for Tsubaki. Sakura means cherry blossom and Tsubaki means camellia.

Do they have an international language they speak in or something? What's up with that?

Or am I reading too much into it?

The lack of world building salt is real, fam.

Speculation and alternative interpretations are fine but the game is pretty clear on how we are supposed to feel about the rebellions. Kamui spares every Hoshidan and rebel that he can but he DOESN'T make much an effort to spare regular Nohrian soldiers. The game doesn't show us why Cheve rebelled but it's implied they did it for good reasons. I think it would be pretty reaching to say they had malevolent intentions because if they did, the game would have told us.

I get that the game intends the player to take things at face-value when they present things like the Cheve rebellion—but it is in my nature to automatically headcanon things in media. Even if I'm playing something for the first time, I'm constantly making it more than what it is.

I mean, I almost got into a written altercation about doing that.

Am I the only one that does that?

*squints because of vision issues* Am I looking at that wrong...or does Nohr actually have more lighter hair colors than Hoshido?

Yeah, the physical features would have to be inferred. There are also things like dialect and language as a whole to take into account.

Obviously, the game is portrayed in the language of the viewer/player but Hoshido seems to have some Japanese language available in-universe. I mean, take Hana, Tsubaki and Sakura, for example. In Hana x Hayato's support, she asks for a purse with cherry blossom pattern to honor Sakura and she asks for one with camellia print for Tsubaki. Sakura means cherry blossom and Tsubaki means camellia.

Do they have an international language they speak in or something? What's up with that?

Or am I reading too much into it?

Hoshido's palette is brighter/more saturated compared to Nohr as a whole, the blues in Nohr tend to be light as are the greys and blonds, so yeah Nohr tends towards the lighter/paler scale.

Those talks are an artifact over the fact that Sakura (cherry blossom) Kazahana (wind flowers) and Tsubaki (camellia) are all flower names (they're the flower squad!) which would be straightforward to a Japanese player with the original script. Just like Tsubaki has a line in the DLC talking about fallen camellia blossoms (which in historical Japanese poetry is often used to represent a beheaded samurai) and he mentions camellia oil in his support with Hinata (camellia nut oil was brushed into the hair during the Heian period for fashion and grooming). From what I've seen from fantranslators characters like Ryouma and Yukimura also used super traditional/formal speech patterns that you might find in period dramas. Unfortunately that all doesn't quite translate smoothly- especially when Treehouse has chosen to westernize names that used to be more Asian in origin (Tenma to Pegasus, Shenmei to Arete, Touma to Valla) reducing that sort of "Other" feel we Western players might experience. But as far as in-game goes, there's no clear language divide present at all.

I'd say it's the fantasy "common" language, international so characters can yell at each other without barriers. Really the only FE world that incorporated a language barrier was Tellius and only for two characters: Leanne and Volug, which weren't major power players by any means. Mordecai was trying to learn the common tongue better but it was more flavor in his supports than substance.

Edited by Damosel

Well, here it is. The big one. This did not dissapoint; it is possibly the worst plan I have ever heard. Before that, though, nitpicking!

-Corrin says he can't sleep, but it is clearly sunny out. Of course you can't sleep, you dumbass! It's daytime! Don't tell my you've embraced the dark so much you're nocturnal!

-Why on earth does water allow Azura to travel into the whatever world? Seems rather random.

-There was literally no reason to bring Gunter back, other than so you didn't lose this chapter.

-So why exactly would I split my guys in two? Sure, it means double exp, but it also means double damage, and I want to get through this chapter asap.

-Okay, let's tear into this. Firstly, so Azura has this thing that proves Garon is possessed, and she shows it to only Corrin, instead of, you know, the Nohrian army? Also, it is pretty Diabolous ex machina that the pearl thing breaks after one use.

-If demon Garon doesn't know what sitting on the throne will do, he is a dumbass.

-Also, I assume, at least, that Garon will not sit on Hoshido's throne, as from a gameplay perspective that would be a cop out, making the invasion and massacre of Hoshido completely pointless.

-Why can't Corrin tell his siblings? Does Azura suspect they might be informers?

So sorry I could only do one chapter today, but I have an English essay. Next time: fast as the wind, the invasion has begun! Da! Da! Da! Ghost division!

From a gameplay perspective, Chapter 15 offers the player two routes:

- Run away, while using the healing tiles down south for free

- Stand and fight, while chugging on Vulneraries

There's a LOT you can do with clones, and this chapter is an introduction to it!

-Why on earth does water allow Azura to travel into the whatever world? Seems rather random.

I guess it has to do with her hax waterbending skills or something. I dunno. Get used to the game doing things and then not explaining stuff.

-There was literally no reason to bring Gunter back, other than so you didn't lose this chapter.

I feel like it was less random than the initial "killing" of Gunter, especially since after that, they almost completely forget he existed until C12. On top of that, it's one of the few times where they do any significant world building.

-So why exactly would I split my guys in two? Sure, it means double exp, but it also means double damage, and I want to get through this chapter asap.

Well, the Hero has a Speedwing. The chapter's also basically engineered to shove as much EXP into Corrin as possible, so I guess there's a ton of bodies in case you really neglected Corrin.

-Okay, let's tear into this. Firstly, so Azura has this thing that proves Garon is possessed, and she shows it to only Corrin, instead of, you know, the Nohrian army? Also, it is pretty Diabolous ex machina that the pearl thing breaks after one use.

To be fair, she hasn't shown the best decision-making skills leading up to this point.

You are starting to see the darkness... ahfu... fufufu.

I like this chapter actually... gameplay wise of course, like eclipse said, there's a lot things you can do with clones, and it's interesting imo.

Plus precious XP is very precious.

I also think it's hilarious how the fanbase blatantly favors Nohr. It's pretty much because Hoshido is "too pure" or "not complex enough" even though Hoshido does many honorable things in the story. The small stuff is all that's remembered. Even as an honorable person, what reason does Ryoma have to let Nohr walk all over him? The place is abandoned, and IIRC it isn't even a hospital but actually an apothecary.

I don't like speaking of everyone, but I think I can safely say that we're not favoring Nohr in any way. Judging by all the jokes around there. :p

Edited by B.Leu

I only favor Nohr insofar as its gameplay is far better than that of Hoshido (I've been playing Birthright too, but Conquest's story is more snark inducing). In terms of story, Birthright is generally better as it is coherent, but in terms of gameplay there is no contest.

I only favor Nohr insofar as its gameplay is far better than that of Hoshido (I've been playing Birthright too, but Conquest's story is more snark inducing). In terms of story, Birthright is generally better as it is coherent, but in terms of gameplay there is no contest.

That's odd, I've found Birthright's story just as bad as conquest, and revelations. I'd honestly there is no acceptable story in fates but that's just me.

That's odd, I've found Birthright's story just as bad as conquest, and revelations. I'd honestly there is no acceptable story in fates but that's just me.

I said Birthrights story is better by virtue of being somewhat coherent.

I really don't think Birthright's story is bad, because as blah said, it's coherent.

And Corrin stays true to the personality he showed in the first 6 chapters, where in Conquest, he seems like a completely different chapter.

And it's ironic, but Birthright actually makes Nohr more sympathetic, and it shows more of the country. The Nohr sibilings are also more interesting in Birthright.

I really don't think Birthright's story is bad, because as blah said, it's coherent.

And Corrin stays true to the personality he showed in the first 6 chapters, where in Conquest, he seems like a completely different chapter.

And it's ironic, but Birthright actually makes Nohr more sympathetic, and it shows more of the country. The Nohr sibilings are also more interesting in Birthright.

The only thing it has is it's coherent, anything else like every path in fates is lacking. Not the worst story I've had the displeasure of seeing though, that goes to the bioware game ME2

As someone whose favorite FE is PoR, I also find the worldbuilding saltworthy.

I do understood what Nohr did. You seem to be misunderstanding me.

Yes, Nohr is evil. Quite honestly, the only reason they went out of their way to kill the rebels was to be evil asses and to rile up Corrin. There is no excuse for that. I don't agree with that. I know that. I am not one of the people that needs to be reminded every ten seconds of that. Nohr are the oppressors. They are the filth of the earth. There is no light in Nohr, except for Elise. The way they act, there is no reason for that other than the fact that they are evil.

However, I am looking at the situation as if I would look at one from history. You could even say that I'm the one that applied the grey. I applied the grey. My bad.

For that, I am sorry.

I am sorry for adding depth to the situation even though there was none.

I am sorry for looking at the situation as if Garon had any ounce of intelligence or competence as a leader.

I am sorry for explaining why I understood why he would order the slaughter of the rebels (as a warning to any other possible rebels, by the way).

I am sorry.

Please understand.

Apology accepted.

We misunderstood each other then. I was talking about the situation in the game specifically, while you were applying the situation to real life.

Huh, I exagerated when I said 'in any way'. My bad. I meant by that... I did not see much people favoring it much.

I'm as eloquent as ever, eh.

Hoshido is damned by faint praise... I'm curious about all the possible snark that could come out of your mouth, blah. :p

The only thing it has is it's coherent, anything else like every path in fates is lacking. Not the worst story I've had the displeasure of seeing though, that goes to the bioware game ME2

Eh, ME2 isn't the most mindblowing, I though it was actually interesting, especially compared to future games. CoughDAICough...
I never did get all the hype that Mass Effect ever had, heck, all the hype Bioware got because of it.

Eh, ME2 isn't the most mindblowing, I though it was actually interesting, especially compared to future games. CoughDAICough...

I never did get all the hype that Mass Effect ever had, heck, all the hype Bioware got because of it.

I never touched DAI and left the fandom after Mass Effect 2, so while it might be worse, I never experienced bioware's "genius" writing again after ME2, the best I could do was watch Smudboy look at the games

As someone whose favorite FE is PoR, I also find the worldbuilding saltworthy.

Apology accepted.

We misunderstood each other then. I was talking about the situation in the game specifically, while you were applying the situation to real life.

The beef has been squashed. Yeah, I have a tendency to apply real life situations like that.

So, on to the topic.

Why did they bring Gunter back? It's not like anyone cared in-game. Corrinmui didn't even have the decency to grieve for more than a few dialogue boxes.

More importantly, how did his horse and the lower half of his body survive the fall? We all know mounted units are physically attached to their mounts at the butt.

I never touched DAI and left the fandom after Mass Effect 2, so while it might be worse, I never experienced bioware's "genius" writing again after ME2, the best I could do was watch Smudboy look at the games

How I envy you.

Why did they bring Gunter back? It's not like anyone cared in-game. Corrinmui didn't even have the decency to grieve for more than a few dialogue boxes.

More importantly, how did his horse and the lower half of his body survive the fall? We all know mounted units are physically attached to their mounts at the butt.

That's a beef I have with the game too. I liked Gunter. Then they killed him and forgot he existed. I was kinda glad he came back, but at the same time annoyed because everything surrounding him is just a mishmash of incoherence.

I guess for the same reason they all didn't break their legs coming out of the canyon? It seems to be some sort of really weird portal thing that defies physics rather than a straight fall.

I said years ago I was boycotting bioware, people laughed at me but who's laughing now!?

I'm not laughing; I'm sad because I spent 60$ on the blandest game in existence. The literal one-minute epilogue was better than anything in the story. Other than that I have to really struggle to remember anything from that game.

And now the fourth game will take place in Tevinter, my favorite human nation...sigh. Dare I hope again? I've been hurt so many times.

I'm not laughing; I'm sad because I spent 60$ on the blandest game in existence. The literal one-minute epilogue was better than anything in the story. Other than that I have to really struggle to remember anything from that game.

And now the fourth game will take place in Tevinter, my favorite human nation...sigh. Dare I hope again? I've been hurt so many times.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment. In a way, don't buy or preorder it, bad idea