Sequel Possibly in Development?

How Atlus keeps afloat while making sequels to low-sales games is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, they're good developers, but they're so niche I sometimes wonder if they literally exist to be a reward for becoming part of the gaming community. I know I never really heard of them till I started getting into the modern gamer culture.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How Atlus keeps afloat while making sequels to low-sales games is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, they're good developers, but they're so niche I sometimes wonder if they literally exist to be a reward for becoming part of the gaming community. I know I never really heard of them till I started getting into the modern gamer culture.

Well in this case Atlus is a contractor developing a game financed by NCL, so they can have more niche games.

I suspect this is pretty much how they do business. They get other people to finance their games and make a bit of profit of whatever even small sales they make.

Well in this case Atlus is a contractor developing a game financed by NCL, so they can have more niche games.

I'm surprised it took that long for someone to comment on the obvious. Atlus were under contract for the title with Nintendo providing the bulk of the finances so how well it sold doesn't effect Atlus financially significantly, if at all. The game was still critically well-received so it's possible Nintendo might be looking to it as a longtime investment.

"the first game did awful in sales and even our home country didn't buy it, what should we do?"

"we'll make ANOTHER one, if we force it this down everyone's throat's then they'll like it for sure, it worked with Marie in persona 4 golden right, RIGHT?!"

this makes as much sense as DmC or Other M getting a sequel.

except this game is actually good???

Have you actually watched any footage that isn't singing? The gameplay is ace and the characters are fun.

Ah the good ol Pachinko craze. Well hopefully what they would do is make money from that and be able to healthy enough to develop games but if recent trends with Konami and Capcom show anything its that they are all moving away from making games and doing that along with mobile stuff.

I haven't even gotten to play the first game and they are making a sequel? Well I suppose there are worse things to do. I thought it would be a one time deal but honestly, more games for me to play on Nintendo systems is all good for me. They just need to avoid being completely awful which they've done pretty well at doing so far.

And I still trust Atlus, they make good games generally.

Have you actually watched any footage that isn't singing? The gameplay is ace and the characters are fun.

why would i buy something that doesn't appeal to me? game developers are not entitled to my money just because they made a game.

and besides, even if the game was good, you can not argue that the game sold poorly, because that is a fact, while the game being good is an opinion.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

why would i buy something that doesn't appeal to me? game developers are not entitled to my money just because they made a game.

and besides, even if the game was good, you can not argue that the game sold poorly, because that is a fact, while the game being good is an opinion.

When you factor everything in (like its absolutely stupid release date), I'd say the game did pretty well. It's not on Pokemon/Zelda levels, but it's a hell of a lot better than I expected.

The 3DS version of Sonic Boom was actually solid. And the cartoon wasn't too bad either. So it at least had some things going for it.

TMS actually got good reviews in Japan. Much, MUCH better than what any Sonic Boom game got (Seriously, Sonic Boom 3DS is rated freaking 47 on Metacritic). It got bad sales due to bad timing and essentially being a niche game on a low-userbase system, but the game itself was actually praised for its gameplay elements.

Honestly, almost all the badmouthing this game gets is from people who haven't even played it (and won't ever bother to).

Edited by Jave

...A sequel? With 50k-ish sales on the first one?

Is this a really late April fools joke?

I don't see this meaning much at all.

TMS actually got good reviews in Japan. Much, MUCH better than what any Sonic Boom game got (Seriously, Sonic Boom 3DS is rated freaking 47 on Metacritic). It got bad sales due to bad timing and essentially being a niche game on a low-userbase system, but the game itself was actually praised for its gameplay elements.

I've seen some people argue that the 3DS Sonic Boom game is pretty average, and that the lower scores was due to negative hype from the Wii U version. If I had to choose between it and TMS#FE, I'd go with Sonic.

Though not directed at me, I hold a similiar opinion as Makalov Fanboy, and I have watched some footage from streams.

It looks rather bland from a gameplay perspective, along with some absolutely stupid looking attacks. On top of being a mockery of both pieces of it's source material, the actual meat of the game didn't win it any favors and definitely secured it as "no buy" for me.

Edited by The DanMan

...A sequel? With 50k-ish sales on the first one?

Is this a really late April fools joke?

I don't see this meaning much at all.

I've seen some people argue that the 3DS Sonic Boom game is pretty average, and that the lower scores was due to negative hype from the Wii U version. If I had to choose between it and TMS#FE, I'd go with Sonic.

Though not directed at me, I hold a similiar opinion as Makalov Fanboy, and I have watched some footage from streams.

It looks rather bland from a gameplay perspective, along with some absolutely stupid looking attacks. On top of being a mockery of both pieces of it's source material, the actual meat of the game didn't win it any favors and definitely secured it as "no buy" for me.

Well, it's still a rumor, nothing is for certain yet. I can see arguments for both outcomes (sales vs critical reception...).

You're entitled to your own opinion, but it seems to me that your bias against the game is showing on your appreciation, the gameplay is as bland as any other SMT/Persona games (mostly referring to the battle system, but not only). It's better on some points like dungeons being fixed instead of randomized, but also slightly worst on some others.

But I doubt anything me or anyone will say can convince you, I just don't like what appears to me as a poor attempt to find flaws in the game to dismiss it instead of just saying "I don't like the focus on entertainement, so I won't buy" which is totally fine.

Remember that the last F Zero game sold under 10,000 units, and Nintendo still asked Criterion to make a Wii U version for them.

Didn't know that, I would have thought the series was much more popular since I see people asking for a new F-Zero all the time (and StarFox before Zero was announced). Then again, F-Zero has more history with Nintendo than #FE, but everything has to begin somewhere.

Edited by Avk

Didn't know that, I would have thought the series was much more popular since I see people asking for a new F-Zero all the time (and StarFox before Zero was announced). Then again, F-Zero has more history with Nintendo than #FE, but everything has to begin somewhere.

Poor F-Zero Climax, it had a 51 episode anime series and still nobody wanted it.

61758_front.jpg

Well, it's still a rumor, nothing is for certain yet. I can see arguments for both outcomes (sales vs critical reception...).

You're entitled to your own opinion, but it seems to me that your bias against the game is showing on your appreciation, the gameplay is as bland as any other SMT/Persona games (mostly referring to the battle system, but not only). It's better on some points like dungeons being fixed instead of randomized, but also slightly worst on some others.

But I doubt anything me or anyone will say can convince you, I just don't like what appears to me as a poor attempt to find flaws in the game to dismiss it instead of just saying "I don't like the focus on entertainement, so I won't buy" which is totally fine.

Persona and SMT have never looked attractive to me based on gameplay alone; it's not solely bias against it as much as previous opinions.

Persona and SMT have never looked attractive to me based on gameplay alone; it's not solely bias against it as much as previous opinions.

I agree that games are a "whole", but then why criticize the gameplay of #FE instead of the differences that make you dislike the game ?

I personally tend to see more similarities than differences, and even then, these differences don't seem as out of place if you see the game as something new with some FE and some Atlus RPG in it (actually, a lot of Atlus RPG).

Bear in mind that a lot of the favorable reviews of this game came from people who do, in fact, enjoy the Persona series, so I doubt the game is seen as a "mockery" of its source material.

Bear in mind that a lot of the favorable reviews of this game came from people who do, in fact, enjoy the Persona series, so I doubt the game is seen as a "mockery" of its source material.

It was marketed as SMT X FE; Persona is firmly a spin-off on either side of the Pacific.

It was marketed as SMT X FE; Persona is firmly a spin-off on either side of the Pacific.

That was only the original reveal which was done in a rushed fashion given Nintendo had to tell people that they were indeed making games for the Wii U at the time. The game didn't start to get marketed until after the official title was revealed which didn't mention SMT at all. By then it was pretty clear that the game was really aimed at the Persona crowd and taking most of its elements from there.