Praise or Blame Takumi?

Flareblade

173 members have voted

1. 1. Praise or Blame Takumi?

Of particular note is a passage at the end where it is basically outright stated that the Hoshidan forces took horrific casualties. I don't necessarily care if it was intentional or not, because it was presented as wrong (I agree) that Takumi would continue to push forwards. I consider the Gallipoli analogy to be a good one; it was the same reckless disregard for the lives of his men.

Okay, I just rewatched both versions.

The english localization says that the Hoshidan Forces had many injured. (Takumi: We can't push forward with so many of our troops injured. This can't be happening...) and the Fan Translation says that they took too much damage (Takumi: We've suffered too much damage, we can't afford to continue the invasion...!). Considering how Corrin has the magical ability to defeat them without killing them, I'm willing to believe that not that many people died then.

When Takumi says "Your words mean nothing in the light of all innocent Hoshidan lives you took." he was talking about the Sword-Bomb thing from chapter 5 in the Japanese version. (Takumi: ...What? But you threatened the lives of innocent Hoshidan civilians. And then you took the life of our dear mother.)

Takumi is also a lot less aggressive about Nohrians in the Japanese version. For example:

(In response to Hinata telling him that the Nohrians are taking a battle formation)

JP!Takumi: "There's no way they'd simply retreat. I wouldn't have it any other way."

NA!Takumi: "Nohrians aren't like normal, decent people. They live for the thrill of battle. All the better. I shall delight in putting those cowards in their place."

The impression I got was that this chapter was supposed to be similar to Awakening's chapter 15: Smoldering Resistance, but instead of you being the invasors, you're the defenders. I mean, sure, the Hoshidan army had already been there for a while unlike the Ylisseans, but they also need to prevent you from finding out about the Rainbow Sage and getting his power.

You mentioned before that he was cowering behind his army, but I think that's a case of Gameplay and Story Segregation. In the cutscene right before the chapter starts, he was shown not only leading among them, but he was also right in front of them (Which is not where an archer should be.).

Edited by Luankachu

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the middle

I don't hate him at all, he's just not my favorite character in the game

Edited by Pixelman

Wow, this is one heated topic. I'm on the pro-Takumi side though. As a unit, he (and Setsuna) proves that running around shooting pointed sticks is a great strategy, and I'm convinced Sniper is the best class in the whole game just because of him.

As a character, there's really not much to be said that's new. He the most human, and while yeah his reactions in Chapter 5 aren't lovable, it does an effective job of giving you both a character that might make you want to return to Nohr ('cause to be fair, if Hoshido didn't have at least one character that got under you're skin a little, there'd be no possible way you could really justify choosing Nohr. Not saying you SHOULD choose Nohr because of one character, it's just one of very few justifiers that exist). And I honestly don't understand why people hate completely after birthright chapter 10. By the end of that chapter he's actually being nice to his adopted siblings, even if the C rank supports do a poor job of reflecting this.

And while I reeealy wish I didn't come across this since I haven't played Conquest, I did get spoiled about his role and fate in that story awhile back. That detail literally makes me think in the back of my head that Conquest is non-canon. Just... why would you bastardize him like that?! :sob:

#blametakumi

Unlike his siblings who just don't have any personality Takumi manages to be absolutely repugnant and an asshole and also just not a very good unit. He's lucky he's in the easy campaigns.

And while I reeealy wish I didn't come across this since I haven't played Conquest, I did get spoiled about his role and fate in that story awhile back. That detail literally makes me think in the back of my head that Conquest is non-canon. Just... why would you bastardize him like that?! :sob:

You poor thing.

The very existence of Revelation makes everything all for naught.

But you can do as I do: lie to yourself. Live in blissful ignorance. ...It is a much smarter way to exist.

#blametakumi

Unlike his siblings who just don't have any personality Takumi manages to be absolutely repugnant and an asshole and also just not a very good unit. He's lucky he's in the easy campaigns.

Bolded:

tumblr_mw1rdhKRXK1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

Takumi is a really amazing unit and probably the best in his class in the whole game.

#blametakumi

Is it because he usually doesn't double? But that doesn't even matter because he be geting crits for days, Give him Fujin Yumi. Don't even need Death Blow.

#blametakumi

I can understand not liking his personality, but seriously calling him a "not very good unit"? Are we playing the same game? I'm not sure if you're trolling or if you've just been very screwed by the RNG. There's a reason why most people call him things like Critkumi, Killkumi or Takillmi. If it weren't for the fact that he can't attack enemies adjacent to you, he'd probably be able solo the entire game.

#PraiseTakumi all the way. He's a great unit with little work needed to make him that way, and he's the best-written character in the game.

Is it because he usually doesn't double? But that doesn't even matter because he be geting crits for days, Give him Fujin Yumi. Don't even need Death Blow.

Takumi's Speed growth isn't even that bad, it's just that his base Speed is kind of low. Seal Speed from Spear Master or A+ him with Ryoma or Hinata and letting him sit in Swordmaster for a bit can help.

There's like 3 bow users better than him and they all join before he does (in Birthright, anyway, in Rev it's just the one).

In his defense you don't really need to worry about optimal use in those campaigns but that still doesn't mean he's good.

There's like 3 bow users better than him and they all join before he does (in Birthright, anyway, in Rev it's just the one).

In his defense you don't really need to worry about optimal use in those campaigns but that still doesn't mean he's good.

Setsuna? Better then Takumi???

Setsuna is the only dedicated bow user that joins before Takumi in Birthright unless you reclass/grind up Mozu, and Setsuna's awful. The only things she beats Takumi out in are Speed, which isn't going to help that awful Strength growth, and Resist. Takumi is the first dedicated bow user that joins in Revelation (again, not counting Mozu).

Only Setsuna joins before him in Birthright, what are you talking about? Takumi joins on chapter 10. Setsuna joins on chapter 8. And even then, no one can do his job better than him. If you're talking about reclassing Mozu to archer, then she'll be stuck in E-Rank Bows for a while, and she has no access to Fujin Yumi, and Heart Seals are pretty limited until chapter 20.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Edited by Luankachu

#PraiseTakumi forever.

Many of his actions are justifiable, and he is the most realistic out of the whole cast in terms of character.

I saw most of his actions in Conquest to be balanced between his anger towards Corrin and his love for Hoshido, though, but that's only my interpretation. Sure, he spout out anger very often, but when he went against Corrin, I didn't see it as him trying to attack Corrin specifically, but more of him actually trying to defend Hoshido by trying to push back Corrin's army. It's war, obviously one will try to hinder the advancements of the opposing nation (in reference to Ch. 10). It's only what I think though, or maybe bias because I love Takumi but oh well.

#blameTakumi all the way yeah he is a prick in conquest but thats expected. But the reason I hate him more is because of all the Taco Meat memes. Damnit I claimed the name first before it was cool...

if its any consolation, I made the Tankumi meme, and im just a dumb nobody who's not gonna be remembered lol.