Bidding War Errupts Over Pokémon Film Rights

Hardin

A top-secret auction for film rights to the Pokemon franchise is nearing completion with Thomas Tull’s Legendary Entertainment attempting to nudge aside Warner Bros., which has pursued the property aggressively, according to sources. Sony also is said to be very interested.

A spokesperson for Legendary, which since January is a division of China's Dalian Wanda Group, declined to comment. But the notion of a Chinese-owned company acquiring a beloved Japanese property could raise a stir given historic tensions between the two countries.

The Pokemon Co., the Japanese outfit that manages the rights to the franchise spun from the hit Nintendo game, has been courting Hollywood to launch a big-budget live-action movie. Warner Bros. was among the early favorites to take the task on considering it already released the animated Pokemon: The First Movie in 1999 (it grossed $165 million worldwide) and two low-budget sequels.

More Via The Hollywood Reporter

I'm kind of conflicted about this. I think it's good that Nintendo and TPC are becoming more aggressive with pushing their IP's, but does anyone actually want a live action Pokémon film?

No thank you. I don't think there's any point in a live action Pokemon movie when most of it will be computer generated anyway because it's Pokemon. It would also kill the charm like stated above.

There were 2 Death Note live action movies, and another in the works a la Netflix, but those are probably just as bad or even worse than Dragon Ball: Evolution. However, Legendary has its shit together, and I definitely feel they could do Pokémon some justice. If you saw what they did with Godzilla (although I doubt they would say Pokémon came out of nowhere) I feel that it would be more along the lines of the games rather than the anime, maybe even a movie rendition of Origins (Origins was good, but it's only about a TV movie in length, so a 120 minute movie could actually flesh out some things, like Red vs every other important trainer).

There were 2 Death Note live action movies, and another in the works a la Netflix, but those are probably just as bad or even worse than Dragon Ball: Evolution. However, Legendary has its shit together, and I definitely feel they could do Pokémon some justice. If you saw what they did with Godzilla (although I doubt they would say Pokémon came out of nowhere) I feel that it would be more along the lines of the games rather than the anime, maybe even a movie rendition of Origins (Origins was good, but it's only about a TV movie in length, so a 120 minute movie could actually flesh out some things, like Red vs every other important trainer).

Actually the live action death note movies weren't bad.

But live action Pokemon would be terrible.

And the less we talk about the live action Ghost in the shell that's being made the better.

Pokemon Live, a musical, exists and from what I've heard, it's pretty bad with cliches and extra cheese everywhere (though some of the actors from there moved on to big name musicals).

Long story short, Pokemon's best left being in the animated and video game world.

Pokemon Live, a musical, exists and from what I've heard, it's pretty bad with cliches and extra cheese everywhere (though some of the actors from there moved on to big name musicals).

Long story short, Pokemon's best left being in the animated and video game world.

while pokemon as a live action movie would probably be terrible, just mentioning "terrible musical based on series" isn't really a valid point for a movie about... anything, really

like, you could say with the same logic that spider-man shouldn't have movies because the spider-man musical was bad.