Hoshido and Nohr: Language Barriers

semolinaro

I've never really been sure of adding the eastern aesthetic into Fire Emblem. It was a cool concept that was rather refreshing to see, but it feels kind of shoehorned into the series, and it made me forget I was playing Fire Emblem because it was just so different. (I also wasn't really a fan of how glorious Hoshido does absolutely nothing wrong while evil western Nohr burns babies at the stake.)

Another thing I thought about was language barrier. Nohr and Hoshido are different in every possible way, it's east vs. west after all. So why isn't there a language barrier? Characters between the two countries talk to each other like they share a common language, and it just feels weird. I know this game doesn't get any medals for worldbuilding, and this is likely nitpicking (the characters do need to communicate after all), but it just crossed my mind. I honestly wish that Fates either stuck with a purely east asian aesthetic (two kingdoms are at war but are Japanese themed) or vice versa with the western aesthetic. The clash of cultures was poorly handled and I feel I wouldn't resent the eastern theme as much if A) they weren't portrayed so goody-goody or B) the entire kingdom was Japanese themed or Western themed, not both.

It's possible that a common tongue that everyone understands exists in this world, and everyone just happens to speak in that language throughout the game.

That said, it really isn't well-explained. Like everything else in this game's world building.

I think trying to stick a language barrier in there would've been a gigantic logistics nightmare, story-wise. Like, you'd need translators on both sides and all that.

For reference, the United States is huge, yet the official language is English. There's various dialects, but someone from Alaska should be able to hold a conversation from someone in Florida.

I think trying to stick a language barrier in there would've been a gigantic logistics nightmare, story-wise. Like, you'd need translators on both sides and all that.

For reference, the United States is huge, yet the official language is English. There's various dialects, but someone from Alaska should be able to hold a conversation from someone in Florida.

Was that bill passed recently? Last I heard, the U.S had no official language.

I agree though that different languages would've just made things convoluted; it's just one of those things you generally have to accept when playing video games. Not always, but often.

I agree though that different languages would've just made things convoluted; it's just one of those things you generally have to accept when playing video games. Not always, but often.

While there's no law that says "this is our language", 80% of the populace speaks English, and last I checked, the laws/traffic signs/contracts/other really important things are originally written in English. Thus, even if it isn't written into stone, I treat English as the official language of the US (even if there's a lot of Spanish translations popping up).

Well Manaketes are all shown speaking English. I always headcanon'd that the language the game was being played in was the language that Manaketes/Dragons spoke in, so humans learned it and used it as their language, minus jargon that differs from country to country.

While there's no law that says "this is our language", 80% of the populace speaks English, and last I checked, the laws/traffic signs/contracts/other really important things are originally written in English. Thus, even if it isn't written into stone, I treat English as the official language of the US (even if there's a lot of Spanish translations popping up).

I don't know enough about this topic to make an educated statement, but that's not the same thing at all. While countries not having an official language isn't anything new, certain countries like France and Sweden recently made their languages the official ones even though I believe over 90% of the population speaks French and Swedish respectively, due to an increased influence of foreign tongues and English in certain domains, as they're usually called, like science.

English is the de facto language in the U.S, but due to heavy South American immigration, it's very likely that it'll become official in a few years in an attempt to make more people speak the tongue of the majority. Again, I'm no expert on this, but there's a difference.

Scatch video games; fantasy works in general tend to have one "common tongue" that's whatever the reader's language is.

Don't care about this specific theme in this game. It would probably end up more annoying the player than give a deeper experience. At best, just a statement that the continent has a common language. Even laguz and the dragons from previous spoke "common".

Edited by Lanko

I don't know enough about this topic to make an educated statement, but that's not the same thing at all. While countries not having an official language isn't anything new, certain countries like France and Sweden recently made their languages the official ones even though I believe over 90% of the population speaks French and Swedish respectively, due to an increased influence of foreign tongues and English in certain domains, as they're usually called, like science.

English is the de facto language in the U.S, but due to heavy South American immigration, it's very likely that it'll become official in a few years in an attempt to make more people speak the tongue of the majority. Again, I'm no expert on this, but there's a difference.

Regardless, you're nitpicking. . .for what purpose? Like, it doesn't make anyone's life better.

If you want to do anything serious in America, you have to be able to communicate in English. Otherwise, things grind to a very messy halt.

Likewise, if IS decided that Hoshido/Nohr were to speak two different languages, then the branch of fate would be pretty meaningless, since Corrin would've had a hell of a time communicating with Hoshido.

Hmm. Common tongue is possible, although highly convenient and not exactly the most realistic thing for this clearly distinct setting, in my opinion. From a writing stand point I considered that there would be 7 different languages [note: I'm still using Japanese names for some of the kingdoms/duchies/principalities]: Nohrian, Hoshidan, Izumian, Noltradian (is it Notre Seagess or something in the english game?), Chevalian, Vallitian and Mokushin.

I also think that the three tribes in the game would have their own variation of their root language, so a Hoshidan variation for the wind tribe and fire tribe and Nohrian variation for the ice tribe, although perhaps not distinct enough to be considered their own language.

On top of this, I separated the languages into magic ones as well that are just used for casting: Nohrian Runic and Hoshidan Runic (< for current lack of a better name). I suppose that any soldiers from Valla would have Vallitian Runic in this case as well.

Most of the characters in this game are royals, retainers or at least of high-class, with only a few exceptions (Mozu, Charlotte, Benny, etc.). Furthermore, most of these royals are heavily involved in their countries military affairs. They probably studied other languages in their youth in order to be able to interrogate foreign prisoners, decipher written intel, among other various uses. So really, it's something that can easily be explained away and doesn't really affect much.

It is a little weird that Hoshidans have words (Japanese words) for things, but speak in a common tongue. But really, this is very common in fantasy, that a common tongue exists. Some fantasy stories have other languages (like Tolkien and George RR Martin's work) but the main characters tend to talk in a common tongue and seem to know it offhand. I dont think this is really a problem in this game that much.

Thats not even touching upon the more unpleasant tone of the OP of this thread. ;/

Likewise, if IS decided that Hoshido/Nohr were to speak two different languages, then the branch of fate would be pretty meaningless, since Corrin would've had a hell of a time communicating with Hoshido.

Hoshido and Nohr kinda do speak two different languages, at least in the japanese version. In Saizo's support with Asugi (whose japanese name is Grey), the latter states that his name comes from the Nohrian word for "Haiiro" (灰色). This was changed in the localization.

My personal headcanon is that Corrin either already knew Hoshidan language before they were kidnapped or learned it in the Fortress. They were said to spend a lot of time reading books, so it isn't too far-fetched to learn a new language during that time. Or it could be that all Nohrian military is required to learn Hoshidan language to be able to understand and effectively intercept Hoshido's tactics. This is just a headcanon, though. There's barely any world-building in the game to be able to confirm anything.

I can think of very few fantisy works of any types that don't have an "everyone speaks common" convention in place. Sometimes, there is an "anchient language", but almost everyone also speaks english. Very ocashionaly, the issue is brought up, and then handwaved with magic. I can think of one instance off the top of my head where a language barier is a major plot point. (a manga called "from far away forever". In "from far away forever", a modern day japanese girl gets transported to a fantisy world. Thing, is she can't speak the language, so she can bairily comunicate with anyone else for the first few arcs while she learns the language from square one.)

The funny part about the Awakening Hoshido kids is that their name is primarily Japanese, however it has the dual standing of being in Katakana.

Gurei is a Japanese name... in Katakana can represent "Grey", and assuming the reader is Japanese, haiiro is explained to reference the English word.

It's not something that would have translated in the localization 100%.

Eh, considering that Hoshido and Nohr are neighboring countries, it wouldn't be that big of a surprise if its inhabitants are able to effectively communicate with one another, especially those who live at the borders.

It's not like this is Disney's Pocahontas, which would require some degree of suspension of disbelief from the history buffs.