The Official Ultima Super Battle Cruise Fortress Topic Deluxe!

Metal Rabbit

• Replies 44.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Metal Rabbit

• Masu

• noremaC

• Liz

He's a good early game mon, and great in Erika's gym. It's not like you have to worry about moves like Stealth Rock in Gen 3 either.

I've used him against the elite four, and he pulled his weight just fine, so +0.5 bias.

5.5/10

Pickup is handy, especially if you're like me and never bother training them.

You have to consider that Emerald noifed it because Game Freak knew it was broken in RS.

You have to consider that Emerald noifed it because Game Freak knew it was broken in RS.

Well, shit. I've never played Emerald. Well, I have, but it was a Chinese bootleg cartridge with Treecko renamed "frog", and I didn't really understand what was going on.

Anyway, it doesn't change my rating so whatever. I like little Ziggy vOv

Rules (adapted from Fire Emblem RTUs)

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly. You can troll a bit, but no WURMPLE HAS STRING SHOT 10/10.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Votes are made out of 10. You cannot rate a pokemon above 10 or below 0.

- The rating topic will be updated whenever I feel like it, but I will try to allow at least 24 hours for each topic. They will generally be updated at around 10 PM CST.

- A pokemon being inferior relative to another pokemon does not explicitly reduce their rating.

- We are rating ingame performance only, up until the Elite 4 is beaten the first time.

- Evolution lines get condensed, so treat Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile all as one pokemon.

- Pokemon that evolve through trades are accounted for.

- A Pokemon's performance is to be judged by the game they are most prominent in (Example: Zangoose is to be judged by Pokemon Ruby standards.).

Poochyena/Mightyena: 3.95

Zigzagoon/Linoone: 6.43

Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile: 8.36

Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken: 9.00

Mudkip/Marshstomp/Swampert: 9.77

WURMPLE HAS STRING SHOT 10/10.

Well, this thing is thankfully not locked to mere tackles, and can fire off Poison Stings, but that's likely it; barring String Shot.

Then we evolve it into a cocoon with Harden; easy evolution to Beautifly at LV10, and gets Absorb right out of the box; which is good for sweeping Geodudes; but not that Nosepass.

It's either I got accustomed to raising cocoon bugs in Pokemon; but usually, they're a pain to raise. Now after knocking Roxanne off the cliff; we get Brawly, and this bug has 4x resistance from his attacks and getting to LV13 means Gust and can simply troll the crap out of him! Then by LV17, this thing gets Stun Spore!

Wattson is a no-no; Flannery is also a no-no; It won't see use against Norman and Winona is a total mindfuck for this bug. Also, Liza and Tate simply laugh at this thing; but it can play around Wallace/Juan and knock that annoying Luvdisc or Whiscash off screen (Although that's with Giga Drain).

Problem? The typing is its curse; and won't see use at Midgame/Lategame which makes the poor flying butterfly don't see much use. It's also simply a copy of Butterfree except not getting Confusion upon evolving and gets a pretty "eh" movepool as well, counting TM's as well.

Although I kinda find it's contributions in Sapphire more prominent; since we're seeing like... lots of fragile Carvanhas for it to knock with Absorb. In Emerald, it's a seesaw, and hell no in Ruby cause you get Numels and Camerupts on your face.

I personally like this bug (aside from Masquerain) thanks to Stun Spore utility and Earlygame Geodude and Carvanha slaying, so +1 bias point for...

Edited by Frostbite

If its strong enough, it can be a starter against Roxanne with Absorb. Gust is pretty useful for Brawly, and then its pretty much done. Bad stats make it difficult to use late game, and no HMs remove any reason to keep it around.

3/10 - Probably the easiest way to beat Brawly (Kadabra, lolRalts and Taillow are your only other options). Pure earlygame utility.

Pidgey's pretty cool. It's a shame it doesn't start with a flying type move, because with it it would make leveling it so much easier come Viridian Forest. Combat wise its pretty mediocre with 80/70/91 offenses, and its movepool does it no favors with consisting of pretty much only Normal and Flying moves. It does have Fly utility though, but due to the layout of Kanto, Fly is only really useful at getting to Blaine's gym through the easier Pallet Town route.

4/10

Edited by Folgore Orange

Pretty much Fly utility only and shines at Erika but nothing else; and Fearow is way better unless you waited for Doduo to show up.

Rules (adapted from Fire Emblem RTUs)

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly. You can troll a bit, but no CATERPIE HAS STRING SHOT 10/10.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Votes are made out of 10. You cannot rate a pokemon above 10 or below 0.

- The rating topic will be updated whenever I feel like it, but I will try to allow at least 24 hours for each topic. They will generally be updated at around 10 PM EST.

- A pokemon being inferior relative to another pokemon does not explicitly reduce their rating.

- We are rating ingame performance only, up until the Elite 4 is beaten the first time.

- Evolution lines get condensed, so treat Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venasaur all as one pokemon.

Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill: 2.44

Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot: 5.00

Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree: 5.21

Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard: 7.80

Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venasaur: 8.25

Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise: 9.36

Never really used this guy, so... meh. Won't rate him. He was my very first non-Red Gyarados shiny, however.

Edited by BigBangMeteor

Well, let's see... On the good side we have...

+Learns hyper fang (80 attack, 120 with STAB) at level 13.

+Is readily available in many routes.

+Can learn cut and rock smash, so it can be a viable HM slave.

+Semi-decent early game (mainly thanks to hyper fang).

But on the other side of the coin:

-Normal type is a rather bad type in general (I mean, one could argue that it's a good thing that normal matches up neutrally, but really, in the storymode, you know exactly what you're up against, so there should be no reason why you wouldn't take advantage of type differences). The only time the two of them have any use is early game--and that's when you're fighting Brock and trekking through Mt. Moon. You could spend time leveling them up, but...

-Experience is better spent on other Pokemon.

-Rattata and Raticate have limited movepools, learning mostly normal moves by leveling, except one dark (which is pursuit, so...).

-None of Raticate's base stats exceed 100.

-Raticate's base stat total is 413, which is pretty unimpressive.

-They have bad mid-game and aren't really even a viable option for late-game.

I wouldn't call the "it's better used on others" as "relative weakness" to them--I'm merely stating that, on its own, it's simply not worth training. The cons and pros are almost equal in number, but the severity of the cons far outweigh the pros. In the end, I'm just going to give it a...

3/10

The only time I'd use a Rattata is if I was doing Nuzlocke and I was seriously strapped for Pokemon.

Edited by Lux Aeterna

Wurmple gets the Bug-type's usual level 10 final evolution, so you can get Beautifly potentially before Roxanne. It learns Absorb at level 10, which I guess can help against Roxanne, though it'll only be able to fight weak Geodudes; it has strong Sp Atk (90 is pretty solid), but a 20 power Grass move without STAB might not one-shot in time for Beautifly to avoid a Rock attack, which it's 4x weak to. Even though there are better choices, it does deserve credit for being useful at the first gym, and being strong against general trainers for a little while. Then, it learns Gust at level 13 and has STAB for it, and is actually resistant to Fighting attacks, making it one of the best picks available to you versus Brawly.

However, 90 Sp Atk doesn't make up for the rest of its stats, all of which are bad (70 Atk is somewhat debatable, in all fairness). It does learn a few strong TMs like Psychic, Solarbeam, and Aerial Ace, and even gets some good natural moves going forward, like Stun Spore, Mega Drain, Silver Wind, and Giga Drain. These are all good things for it, but it's pretty limited when it can learn few things it gets any STAB off of (Silver Wind and Aerial Ace once you get into the lategame, I guess), and its weak stats don't help its nice movepool. It also misses out on the traditional deluge of status moves that Bug types get, and its typing means it's easily felled by a lot of common stuff (Fire, Rock, Electric). Has potential, but wastes a lot of it.

4/10

Rattata can be caught super-early, and is fairly fast with some okay Atk. It snatches up Hyper Fang at level 13; since it gets STAB, it's one of the strongest attacks you could ask for in the earlygame. It evolves to Raticate at level 20, increasing Hyper Fang's almighty power. It only gets Scary Face when it evolves, but that's gonna get better, right? This thing has served you well so far, you'll get your Pokeball's worth! (what kind of term is this)

It learns approximately 3 moves naturally from then on after it evolves. Super Fang at level 40 is pretty good, but Pursuit and Endeavor are incredibly situational. It can get a surprisingly diverse number of TMs like Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Rain Dance, Iron Tail, etc. However, a lot of other Pokemon are loads better at putting those to work than it is. It can at least see a decent amount of utility as an HM slave, getting Cut, Strength, and Rock Smash, but that's about it.

3/10 + 1.5 for HM slave = 4.5/10

Its stats are impressive early game but not so much after that. Also useful early on. But after all it is bug/flying unfortunately which with those stats comes with all kinds of problems. Though I do think it looks really cool.

3/10.

Those fang moves are pretty good, especially the one it gets early. (Also mkaes it an annoying enemy to face ugh) Other than that though Raticate doesn't have much going for it besides speed which could still be better. But, props for being Raticate. Its a classic. Also youngsters love you. So at least you're popular.

3/10

It's HM movepool is pretty limited, unlike other early rodents like Zigzagoon and Bidoof. In other words, Rattata has little utility.

Like the early bugs, it's a crutch for the early game. Once it evolves, it's pretty potent at that point in the game. Hyper Fang is downright scary this early, and Raticate is pretty fast to boot. It boasts more longevity than the bugs, but it still isn't anything that's taking you to the elite four.

3/10