Face-Rubbing is gone in the European version too!

Anacybele

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling you out on your disrespect of others' feelings is not badgering.

No, you've been constantly badgering me in more than one thread, and I want it to stop.

I'm not disrespecting anyone, I was trying to be fucking helpful. Now please, just leave. Me. Alone.

Guys take it somewhere else. Nobody wants your drama to be cluttering up a thread, it's annoying.

Yeah, as a European, who's actually European, I have no real opinion on this. However, I also don't intend on getting Fates, so my opinion probably doesn't really hold much weight!

I'm not surprised to be honest, I was expecting that the release would be almost identical, or if anything, slightly stricter with its censorship. It was unlikely anything cut in the US release would have made it back into Europe.

Guys take it somewhere else. Nobody wants your drama to be cluttering up a thread, it's annoying.

Unfortunately, I'm calling her out on her OP. I happen to *LIKE* the Amie in the JP. But also understand why it was removed. However, I won't put up with blatantly insulting those who happen to be in the minority like me. And since she was the OP... it's completely relevant to the topic.

The only reason I even blew up was because this reasonable request was ignored:

Also, Ana, I may dislike the feature as much as you do, but some people DO like it so please try to respect that.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I honestly don't have much of a problem with the facerubbing business since that feature can be ignored. Plus, it's a waste of my time when using Seeds of Trust and grinding battles are more efficient anyways for getting supports.

Removing it isn't much of an issue since it's less time wasted for a few voiced lines and less scratched touch screens! I do take issue with the removal (or dummying out) of every swimsuit accessory that isn't named the Bath Towel, however -- no reason to get to full 3 Big Hearts with your spouse in the localized versions since there's no reward for it now!

Edited by Roflolxp54

I mostly agree with Sunwoo on this: I didn't see any reason why it would come back in Europe if it was cut in America. But i also find it funny that people went in an uproar over it when it was revealed, and then went into another one when it was taken out.

Not that i ever understood what the huge deal over it was. I would bet my money that if i showed my parents a trailer for Fates, they would not be expecting something like skinship to be in there.

Honestly I feel like I'm missing something, because I never really understood why removing the minigame was so controversial in the first place. Then again, the extra dialogue and support bonuses aside, I never understood what exactly the face-rubbing would have added to the gaming experience. Are people just opposing it on the grounds of it being "censorship?"

It's a complex thing. Many people have different reasons for wanting it to stay, want it gone, or not caring either way. So when one side "wins", everyone's reactions to it open up more debates and arguments. It's something to be tackled case-by-case, at least that's what I think.

As for adding it, I would guess is because Fire Emblem has been a series to promote the "bonds the characters share" concept. In this case, like with Pokémon Amie doing the same to the "bond between Trainer and Pokémon" concept, it was likely added to implement another way to make use of the concept, probably to be different from what has been done so far, to make use of the touch screen feature, or both. But then, a problem rises in that not everyone has the same stand about physical contact between human beings. That's why both Amie and "Face-Rubbing" received different overall reactions across the world.

I don't quite understand that question at the end. Do you mean the opposing refers to the feature itself, or the removal of the feature?

It's a complex thing. Many people have different reasons for wanting it to stay, want it gone, or not caring either way. So when one side "wins", everyone's reactions to it open up more debates and arguments. It's something to be tackled case-by-case, at least that's what I think.

As for adding it, I would guess is because Fire Emblem has been a series to promote the "bonds the characters share" concept. In this case, like with Pokémon Amie doing the same to the "bond between Trainer and Pokémon" concept, it was likely added to implement another way to make use of the concept, probably to be different from what has been done so far, to make use of the touch screen feature, or both. But then, a problem rises in that not everyone has the same stand about physical contact between human beings. That's why both Amie and "Face-Rubbing" received different overall reactions across the world.

I don't quite understand that question at the end. Do you mean the opposing refers to the feature itself, or the removal of the feature?

I think they means people who are upset that SOMETHING was removed, rather than upset that skinship was removed.

I never really doubted that it would stay out of the EU version after it was already gone in the American one. Skinship is so Japanese and weird that it was never going to be translated well to other markets, all the more so because the fates cast is a lot younger then most other Fire emblem ones.

I'm pretty pleased with it. Being able to rub professional soldiers as if they were your pets was always out of place in a Fire emblem game.

Wait, does this mean sometimes, the European version of one game could be different from the NA one? I wonder why.

Wait, does this mean sometimes, the European version of one game could be different from the NA one? I wonder why.

Different standards, basically. What is fine for one, chances are it won't be for the other. And vice-versa.

I honestly thought is was obvious that NoE was going to remove the skinship game.

Now, to be honest, I wanted skinship in because, at the time, I thought Japanese was going to be in the game and I wanted to hear DIO whisper into my left ear. Now, that that is gone, what purpose does it have (for me)? I was just playing Pokemon last night and did some PokeAmie rubbings and it was time consuming and ultimately boring; I thought it would be cool in FE but fudge that. I would have used it once, then avoided it until I felt like hearing some character whisper into my ear again.

I thought I'd be pissed about the removal of it but, seriously, it isn't that big of a deal. Not to me at least, I can't speak for everyone.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

I was going to start a thread today on what people think about skinship now that everything has cooled down...

after seeing this thread I think it might be a bad idea

Yeah, but I haven't seen anyone on SF say they like it. xP And Taco brings up a good point. I'm tired of people complaining about cut content because it "offends" them. Just...what?

I truly am the Kellam of SF

I'm tired of people complaining about cut content because it "offends" them. Just...what?

It's more like people have their complaints because they pay money to get and play the game -- getting a game they paid for only to find out that it has content cut from it with nothing to replace said content is seen as a disservice.

Edited by Roflolxp54

I'm one of those who, while I don't mind what we ended up getting, felt that removing it in the first place was an overreaction. Bathing suits too. That was just dumb.

I also think the OP feels a bit too pretentious. Almost sounds like it's rubbing it on the faces of those who didn't mind the inclusion of the feature.

Then again, I'm a Latino, so maybe it's a culture thing? It's not like Nintendo gives a shit of what I think.

Edited by Jave

It is part of Japanese culture, but not to the extreme it goes to in Fates. According to Google anyway

^this. To be fair, though, I'm pretty certain that in NA or Europe, you'd get arrested for harassment or assault if you were trying to do facepetting. The only reason why Pokemon got away with it is that Pokemons are essentially like actual pets. Sure, pets that spit burning hairballs or flood continents, but still.

I honestly thought is was obvious that NoE was going to remove the skinship game.

Now, to be honest, I wanted skinship in because, at the time, I thought Japanese was going to be in the game and I wanted to hear DIO whisper into my left ear. Now, that that is gone, what purpose does it have (for me)? I was just playing Pokemon last night and did some PokeAmie rubbings and it was time consuming and ultimately boring; I thought it would be cool in FE but fudge that. I would have used it once, then avoided it until I felt like hearing some character whisper into my ear again.

I thought I'd be pissed about the removal of it but, seriously, it isn't that big of a deal. Not to me at least, I can't speak for everyone.

It's not NoE even removed the skinship but rather they just took the NA version and didn't even bother include it. The rating on the box explains it all. If the skinship stayed among other things Fates would get PEGI 16, which would be equivalent to JP CERO C rating instead of PEGI 12, that we got.

To be fair, though, I'm pretty certain that in NA or Europe, you'd get arrested for harassment or assault if you were trying to do facepetting.

And what does this have to do with its inclusion or not in the game ? First, in the game you only do that with friendly people and not stranger on the street, if in real life the two parties are okay with that then it's not a crime. I'm pretty sure it's weird in a lot of countries , but once again game =/= reality.

Edited by Tharne

^this. To be fair, though, I'm pretty certain that in NA or Europe, you'd get arrested for harassment or assault if you were trying to do facepetting. The only reason why Pokemon got away with it is that Pokemons are essentially like actual pets. Sure, pets that spit burning hairballs or flood continents, but still.

And what does this have to do with its inclusion or not in the game ? First, in the game you only do that with friendly people and not stranger on the street, if in real life the two parties are okay with that then it's not a crime. I'm pretty sure it's weird in a lot of countries , but once again game =/= reality.

^this and if you guys really want to bring reality make sure tell the difference between public and private skinship in the societies cultures. There is a difference between the cultures how much skinship you can have in public. In private like it's in the game? Go nuts.

Edited by FoliFF

In the name of the dignity of all of Japan, I hope that rubbing nose or face in general is not considered a thing to get turned on about. It would make a lot of hentai actually educational.

Jokes aside, I'm not surprised, first it came to Japan (no shit), Japan to American, then America to Europe. the difference between the American english and European english will probably be some lines, some censoring. and all of that.

It's still too bad,skinship, because despite it's clear stupidity, weirdness, creepyness and all,.is still a waste of ressources, 3D model, lines and all.

Thanks for telling us about it.

I liked skinship because it gave more minor characters tons of spoken lines, and gave more intimacy to you and your spouse's relationship. The new skinship is boring and annoying. They just...cycle through the same 3 lines. I even got sick of Niles after a while. I've never gotten to 3 big hearts just because the whole process is so slow and gives me a headache. I'm sure I would've felt the same way towards the original skinship after a time, but I'd probably enjoy it for longer. Still, it makes sense EU didn't get it, either.