What do you want to see in Zelda U/NX?

Alex95

How many games have had Ganon in them? I think it's time to move on to bigger, badder villains.

I actually agree with you for once. I never liked Ganon/Ganondorf anyway. I hope he stays retired as the main villain.

That makes Majora's Mask, Four Swords, The Minish Cap, Spirit Tracks, and Tri Force Heroes the only true Ganonless games.

I guess while you can have a game without Ganon, he's still integral to the series like Link and Zelda.

If they do make a new villain for this game, that doesn't mean Ganon's out for the count. He could also become a supporter like he was to Zant, but eh...

And though, like how you can have a Mario game without Mario, you could possibly have a Zelda game without Link as well.

On the topic of Link's gender "issue", I think if they DO give the option to make Link a girl, Zelda should be a boy to correspond.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't the Mario-less Mario games spin-off games? The only Mario games without Mario that I can think of are Captain Toad and Luigi's Mansion. That being said, I don't play a lot of Mario games. But wouldn't it be a little strange is they suddenly and permanently retired Bowser as the big bad guy of Mario games?

I'd argue that Ganondorf is to The Legend of Zelda what Bowser is to the Mario games: there are games without them as the bad guy, and there games without them at all. But they are the integral bad guys of their series; destined to haunt the main hero and the princess over and over.

I'd also argue that, of all Zelda villains made so far, Ganon is the biggest and baddest, and it would be next to impossible to make one bigger and badder than him. Majora's Mask only has the edge in creepiness, and even then only just. The nightmares in Link's Awakening are a joke. Ghirahim is a sidekick (as is Zant). Malladus is a Ganon rip-off. Bellum (or whatever that squid is called) is just a parasitic squid. That witch in Tri Force Heroes is bland. Vaati is interesting depending on the game, but is a bit goofy in all three games (he's also the only main villain other than Ganon to even be in more than one game).

Edited by vanguard333

Aren't the Mario-less Mario games spin-off games? The only Mario games without Mario that I can think of are Captain Toad and Luigi's Mansion. That being said, I don't play a lot of Mario games. But wouldn't it be a little strange is they suddenly and permanently retired Bowser as the big bad guy of Mario games?

I'd argue that Ganondorf is to The Legend of Zelda what Bowser is to the Mario games: there are games without them as the bad guy, and there games without them at all. But they are the integral bad guys of their series; destined to haunt the main hero and the princess over and over.

I'd also argue that, of all Zelda villains made so far, Ganon is the biggest and baddest, and it would be next to impossible to make one bigger and badder than him. Majora's Mask only has the edge in creepiness, and even then only just. The nightmares in Link's Awakening are a joke. Ghirahim is a sidekick (as is Zant). Malladus is a Ganon rip-off. Bellum (or whatever that squid is called) is just a parasitic squid. That witch in Tri Force Heroes is bland. Vaati is interesting depending on the game, but is a bit goofy in all three games (he's also the only main villain other than Ganon to even be in more than one game).

Mario was the "dude in distress" for Luigi's Mansion, King Boo trapped him in a painting.

That said, I wouldn't really compare Bowser and Ganondorf personally, due to the very different tone of the two series.

King Boo is still the only villain that can actually defeat Mario. lol Bowser never does, but Boo doesn't fail to put the dude in a painting. Bowser could learn a thing or two here. XD

Anyway, I don't count some of those things you listed, Glac. Skyward Sword, Link's Awakening, Zelda 2, and PH would not count. And his roles in the Oracles and ALBW aren't even major at all. So really, Ganondorf only appears in like half the series and is the main bad guy for even fewer of them. He's not even as much of a franchise villain as Bowser is. Bowser is in nearly everything Mario-related.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, that's why I put a "depending if you count this" for them.

In the Oracles reviving him was the ultimate goal of the plot (it got botched, unfortunately for the Twinrova), so I guess he was sorta like Sidoh/Malroth in that he was the sort of bigger threat that the main threat followed (respectively, the Twinrova and Hargon).

In ALBW he just appeared for around two seconds to be hijacked seconds later, though how much he influenced Yuga post-fusion is debatable. Ravio's journal implies that Yuga intended to betray Hilda from the get go, but that's just Ravio's observation. How reliable he is is something that can be argued I suppose.

Still not sure why his theme is in the Ghost Ship Chase song though... maybe to deliberately mislead you to think he will be the main villain? Maybe to imply the World of the Ocean King is the dead Ganondorf's dream world? ...Not that it matters much.

Never played it and never want to, so I wouldn't have known.

Basically, Bowser steals a "Vibe Scepter" from Vibe Island and storms the castle while Peach and Toadsworth happened to be out on a walk. He proceeds to use it to make everyone in the castle experience random moodswings and takes advantage of this to kidnap Mario, Luigi and those Toads.

Though this doesn't make much sense given Bowser's general motives... Eh, it's a Mario game, who cares if it makes sense...

Heh, I prefer Daisy myself :P

Mario games aren't exactly supposed to make sense. Some have a good story every now and then (PMTTYD as an example), but most focus on fun rather than "sense".

A new leak appeared:

It's nothing much, just an image, but it seems to show Link rock climbing, and it also seems to confirm that Death Mountain will appear in this game.

I'll copy/paste this post on the other Zelda U thread.

Edited by Water Mage

Link needs safety gear.

He may be Link, but if his grip slips, or a rock falls, he's dead.

I mean he climbs rocks in TMC too, but it's still dangerous.

Don't try to mimic that image at home, kids!

Yeah, rock climbing isn't new to Zelda. As Glac said, we saw it in TMC. Though Link needed the Grip Ring to do it there. Maybe this game will have the Grip Ring too? Also, in OoT, Link could climb some of the walls on Death Mountain.

Also, guys, Link has a sword and shield in that art, but he didn't have them in the previous teasers. Yet he does have a bow in all of them. The bow is looking to be his very first weapon in this game. That's definitely something we didn't see before.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, rock climbing isn't new to Zelda. As Glac said, we saw it in TMC. Though Link needed the Grip Ring to do it there. Maybe this game will have the Grip Ring too? Also, in OoT, Link could climb some of the walls on Death Mountain.

Also, guys, Link has a sword and shield in that art, but he didn't have them in the previous teasers. Yet he does have a bow in all of them. The bow is looking to be his very first weapon in this game. That's definitely something we didn't see before.

He actually had a pretty big sword in one of the teasers.

GameXplain posted a six minute analysis of the rock climbing pic.

The only thing that's really notable besides the obvious is still the castle thing, since the rest of the focuses were so blurry due to res that it's hard to say for sure regarding what they're even supposed to be. It gets compared to analyzing an ink blot test...

A new leak appeared:

It's nothing much, just an image, but it seems to show Link rock climbing, and it also seems to confirm that Death Mountain will appear in this game.

I'll copy/paste this post on the other Zelda U thread.

Now that looks awesome. Time to start the hype train.

I really can't stand open world, so I don't really care that much for this game. I only hope it's as similar as possible to my favorite Zelda, Skyward Sword.

Hopefully the companion is as fun as Fi.

No way. As much as I like Fi, she was too hand-holdy. I can understand the hate for her. Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda as well, and I do hope there are plenty of similarities to it, but I'm keeping my mind open for the open world.

No way. As much as I like Fi, she was too hand-holdy. I can understand the hate for her. Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda as well, and I do hope there are plenty of similarities to it, but I'm keeping my mind open for the open world.

Hand-holdy isn't a negative. I enjoyed having Fi help when I didn't know what to do, and even when I did know what to do, I enjoyed her personal commentary on what was happening.

By comparison, Midna doesn't help nearly enough.

Fi was a good character, but I felt like Skyward Sword in it's entirety was hand-holding. Sure, you could venture off and do whatever. But when it came down to dungeon exploration, something (usually Fi) would tell you where to go or what to do. No, hand-holding isn't exactly a "negative", but it can get annoying sometimes...

Yeah, aside from granting the multi-enemy one-hit KO energy field, Midna doesn't do squat.

I know this new Zelda uses the map markers from Skyward Sword, and, aside from the occasional hint, that's about as hand-holdy as I would like to get.