What do you want to see in Zelda U/NX?

Alex95

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of agree with the video and kind of don't. I disagree that there should be less emphasis on story and more optional content. Well, to an extent. I have no problem at all with optional content, it can be pretty awesome. I completed OoT 100% a bunch of times because I enjoyed the optional stuff in it, for example.

But imo, MM is an example of this done utterly wrong. There is so much optional stuff that the game was left with a disappointingly short main game. Yeah, the characters having their own stories was nice, I'm not saying it wasn't. But only four dungeons? Not much you have to do between them? This is what made Skyward Sword so enjoyable to me. It wasn't short, it was a good length, engaging story without a huge abundance of optional stuff clogging the game and hampering it in the end. (though to satisfy me even more, I'd love the same number of dungeons that ALttP had... lol) There was plenty to do between each dungeon as well. And it still had some fun optional stuff, like finding all the Goddess Cubes. I wish it had a bit more overall, but yeah.

And I don't care if I'm doing things that a million other players do too because they have to! If I'm enjoying what I'm doing, isn't that what REALLY matters the most?

What I'm saying is, it's not that there needs to be less focus on story, there needs to be a fine balance between story and optional stuff.

I must be the only Zelda player on the planet that didn't mind all the cutscenes in SS. I found them enjoyable to watch.

Edited by Anacybele

I for one would be totally cool with the complete destruction and erasure of all story elements in Zelda U. Just give me a big world with things to see (and kill, probably), ten crazy dungeons, and some good music, and I'm good to go.

Since it's not 2017 yet, does anyone know of some Zelda-esque games to try in the meanwhile? I already played Okami...

I think exploration is key when it comes to Zelda, as it's pretty much the root of the series. Dungeons and puzzles come next, and story last.

One of the beauties of Zelda games is that they give you a big world to roam and even when you have to do the dungeons in order, you can still wander around for sidequests and finding stuff like heart pieces and Skulltullas or bugs or whatever the sidequests items are. The only game in the series to heavily neuter exploration is Spirit Tracks, and... a lot of people hate that one, and most of those who hate it do so because of the lack of exploration.

I care about story in Zelda games, of course, but I'll definitely take a Zelda with a vast place to explore and things to do with a simple story; rather than a Zelda with a huge, fantastic story but nothing to do between dungeons.

Since it's not 2017 yet, does anyone know of some Zelda-esque games to try in the meanwhile? I already played Okami...

If you have a PS2 (or probably PS3 as well), I recommend Dark Cloud. It's kind of like Zelda. I think it's really hard too, though, I couldn't even finish the first dungeon. I could get to the boss though. But the dungeons are more about combat than puzzles, I think, and you're sorta going through a big maze. Toan, the main protagonist, is a "silent" protag like Link though, and he even wears green. lol He also recruits partners that you can also play as along the way though. And you have to use them because they have abilities that Toan doesn't, and they're necessary to progress. Each of these characters uses a different kind of weapon. Toan has daggers, for instance. The first partner he gets, a cat girl whose name escapes me, uses slingshots. And so on. Weapons have a limited number of uses like in most FE games though, and in order to keep them from breaking, you have to always have some repair powder on you. There are other powders to get that have different effects as well. I was...not good at managing the weapons and powders. xP And I think you generally need weapons in tip top shape to have a chance against bosses.

There's also a Dark Cloud 2, but I don't know anything about it except that it exists.

I wouldn't mind some more Zelda esque games myself, but I don't have any Sony consoles anymore. And I really don't know at all if I should try Okami.

Edited by Anacybele

The only game in the series to heavily neuter exploration is Spirit Tracks, and... a lot of people hate that one, and most of those who hate it do so because of the lack of exploration.

1. Who is "a lot of people"? Spirits Tracks got great review scores, and I know many people that like it, including myself. The only thing I hate is how slow the train is. If the train were many times faster, it would legitimately be my favorite handheld Zelda.

2. How is Spirit Tracks devoid of exploration? My memories are quite fuzzy, but I'm certain their was a fair amount of optional content.

I wouldn't mind some more Zelda esque games myself, but I don't have any Sony consoles anymore. And I really don't know at all if I should try Okami.

http://www.gamesradar.com/five-reasons-you-suck-if-you-dont-play-okami/

Okami a common Zelda-esque recommendation for good reason - it IS good. So good, in fact, that you really don't need to hesitate getting it. Oh, but get the Wii version or PS3 version if you have the Move controller - the PS2 original is essentially obsolete.

Yeah, Spirit Tracks does have optional stuff. LIKE A BUNNY CATCHING QUEST!! It's SO CUTE! ^^

Zera, I just said I don't have Sony consoles anymore, so it'd have to be the Wii version. xP I'll pick if up if I ever see it for a good price, I guess.

If it's an exploration rife game people want, may I recommend DQ8? That game had a very impressive and explorable world imo.

The remake is getting released overseas and all, so you don't need a PS2 or iOS/Android device with the requisite OS version if you have a 3DS.

Also, I think the issue with ST exploration is you were more or less limited to the tracks for obvious reasons. Beyond that, I think it did it well in that regard.

I care about story in Zelda games, of course, but I'll definitely take a Zelda with a vast place to explore and things to do with a simple story; rather than a Zelda with a huge, fantastic story but nothing to do between dungeons.

I agree. One thing I love about Majora's Mask is the sidequests. Even though the world isn't too large, there are plenty of things to do and you are rewarded for going out of your way to explore and talk to people. I honestly had more fun with the sidequests than the dungeons (not that they are bad or anything).

RE: Zelda-like games

Will edit in console information later. Note that most of the things I list are for 16 bit systems, so don't be surprised if you can't even find emulators of them.

3-D

-Okami (PS2, Wii)

Obvious comparisons everyone already knows, I have nothing to add to the discussion, just noting I have same feelings.

-Beyond Good and Evil (GCN, Xbox)

Not so directly an influence as Okami, but I feel that it's stealth/platformer elements are not the most intense focus of the gameplay. Pretty small setting compared to Wind Waker of course. However exploration of large swathes of land is substituted fairly well for exploration of what you do have thanks to the photography mechanic and it does have hidden rooms every now and then. For the record, I'll call this Zelda-lite but not stuff like tomb raider/ Metroid prime/system shock/ Indiana jones and the infernal machine. Also certainly not counting God of War / Dark souls/ Devil May Cry / Mad World or dedicated Platforming games.

-Star Fox Adventures (GCN)

If you thought Skyward Sword is railroaded with tutorials, this game is the stuff of nightmares by comparison. I kind of hate it for the handholding. I like the visuals, especially in the water temple. It's a little too mini-gamey as well, and the only "welcome" minigames are the are the arwing sections. I thought it was a rental-worthy game while the gamecube was current, and nowadays I consider it completely ignorable.

-Shadow Man (PC, N64, Dreamcast)

At the time I believed this game to have the best voice acting of all time. Well, at least Jaunty and Le Roi. This game hasn't aged undamaged, and was not for a traditional audience to begin with. It's more than a 3rd person shooter since as you get abilities, such as climbing waterfalls, you'll have plenty of chances to retread old ground to explore for powerups. The game also features brutal platforming. You do not get "Mario physics" to help you, this is the kind of platforming that you had to deal with at the last part of half life 1. Game is atmospheric and has enough of a story to inspire you to read the real thing (the comic). Sadly, while hunting down the 5 serial killers and their leader is cool. 4 of the 6 boss fights are essentially reskins of each other (although they each have their own music/backstory) and the final boss, while something new, is one of the worst designed things in all videogames. Also I should warn you that this is one of the scarier horror games ever made.

-Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PlayStation 1, PC) Also on steam, but the keyboard controls are awful, must use joystick controller option for good time.

The lore of the Legacy of Kain games is very interesting, but while the 2-d original is ultimately a little shallow gameplaywise (while still fairly difficult) this excellent second entry gives us a new character in Raziel, and interesting abilities. The game's story is its strongest point, but the dungeons have a nice mix of combat and puzzles. One of the dungeons is entirely optional, and you can collect optional powers in additional to the usual optional "heart containers" Most of them function like the LttP medallion spells, but they are hidden behind the coolest puzzles in the game (one even feauturing a revisit of a dungeon from Blood Omen). The later 3D games, Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2, and Defiance, don't fit my definition of Zelda-like as neatly as the first two in the series due to their extreme focus on combat. One thing in Soul Reaver that I love is that your default "swordplay" is unable to kill enemies, only stun them, and forces you to then grapple and use environmental hazards. It causes the entirety of the early dungeons to be carefully planned out, and makes killing, while not difficult or technical, surprisingly satisfying. I played it before Blood Omen, and the instruction booklet and ingame prologue catch you up better than playing them in order. Raziel even has a propaganda / bias against the first game's events, so arguably Blood Omen is intended to be played second anyway to protect the surprise.

2-D

With top down games, I don't count 8 way shooters, or their close derivatives (zombies ate my neighbors, legend of oasis, legend of Valkyrie). I also don't count the most traditional Action rpgs, such as secret of mana, illusion of gaia, final fantasy adventure, and YS. Know that there are many people who would define these as zedla-like and that my own convoluted definition stems from a desire to exclude landstalker and its sequel dark savior.

-Oceanhorn (mobile)

Very recent indie title that tries to be like the handheld DS Zelda games. 2D with 3D graphics. It's shorter than Phantom Hourglass, but seeing how close the graphical style is provides unintended comedy. Low difficulty.

-Crusader of Centy (Mega Drive)

The big idea of this game is that you can have two of your items (animals) equipped at once and different combinations lead to effects, which increases the amounts of mechanics in the game a bit more than you see on face value.

-Alundra (PS1)

Mind numbingly long. Graphical style somewhere between chrono trigger and Link to the past. Can feel combat focused during the boss fights, but full of puzzles many types throughout. Kind of large inventory. Unique storyline has stuff like entering people's dreams to save them (different explanation than in psychonauts).

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. (PS1)

The first game in the series. Personally I feel that it's gameplay is painfully generic for a top down Zelda game. Lots of combat, fairly linear dungeons outside of hallways that lead to extra chests, and all the interesting abilities are based on combat rather than movement/puzzle solving. This game even has literal event triggers painted on the floor instead of being invisible! At least you won't miss anything. Main draw is the mixed morality of the main charather and playing as a vampire, complete with all the traditional vampire powers (turning into werewolf, making people's blood boil, draining them, turning into mist, turning into swarm of bats, etc). Story and presentation is wonderful, but I WANT A GAME DAMN IT.

-Startropics (NES)

Puzzles are either too cryptic or really tied into the tile-based system. Combat doesn't always feel clean. Otherwise this is a pretty great game overall.

-Neutopia and Neutopia II(TurboGrafx)

Closer to NES Zelda than Link to the Past due to not herding you into the dungeons in sequence as much(still some pointers), but still boasting reasonable sprite graphics. Probably my favorite really early Zelda-like.

-Golden Axe Warrior (Master System)

Zelda 1: the deluxe edition. I do appreciate the enemy and stylization from the classic beat'em'up, but unless you want to be like egoraptor and prove to people than Zelda 1 is better than Link to the past due to having authentic exploration > narrative, I'm not all that sure about this one.

-Golvelluis (Master System)

Puzzle light and action heavy, but unlike Blood Omen, this game does it well. Also full of offbeat humor and weird characters.

-Shining Wisdom (Saturn), Threads of Fate(PS1) Crystalis (NES)

They exist, but I consider them mediocre. Just go full ARPG > Zelda and play Vagrant Story unless your wallet is screaming out in pain.

-Elemental Gimmick Gear (Dreamcast)

Horrible Translation. Otherwise I consider the gameplay to be the best of anything on this list.

Edited by Reality

And how would you make this leveling system do anything other than grinding?

Quite honestly I'm not sure but then again I'm one of those weird people who likes grinding. I guess quests or missions could add EXP. I did like the whole upgradeable item thing that Skyward Sword had going on.

One thing the Metroid series does better than Zelda is making collectables valuable. Even the most mundane item, the Missile Tank, increases your missile capacity and makes you objectively stronger. Imagine if in Zelda, instead of getting worthless rupees when opening a chest, you get a +1 arrow expansion or something. That would really encourage players to find as many chests as possible.

Heh, +1 Arrow at a time may be tedious, but I get the example. Find something more worthwhile rather than Rupees or the required dungeon item (though those are still good to have). Every now and then you find a Bomb or Arrow upgrade, attack boosts, etc.

One thing the Metroid series does better than Zelda is making collectables valuable. Even the most mundane item, the Missile Tank, increases your missile capacity and makes you objectively stronger. Imagine if in Zelda, instead of getting worthless rupees when opening a chest, you get a +1 arrow expansion or something. That would really encourage players to find as many chests as possible.

That might be pretty cool. The alternative could be to make rupees actually worth something like having to replace armor, spend money to maintain equipment etc.

What I really hope is that Xenoblade lit a fire under Aonuma's ass and he gets ambitious with the game. Zelda has been too conservative for a good decade now, and hasn't been living up to its own reputation.

That might be pretty cool. The alternative could be to make rupees actually worth something like having to replace armor, spend money to maintain equipment etc.

I thought all the rupees were worth it to upgrade Link's stuff in SS...

Loki/Florina: lolwut? SS's overworld is ANYTHING but tiny. You have three huge areas to explore below the clouds (Lanayru being very massive in particular), plus the large sky. It felt bigger than TP's world to me. I get the annoyance of Fi being hand-holdy though. I still like her (because I love her design, her voice, and her dancing), but I can understand why others don't. I would still like SOME degree of hinting to what you have to do though, because I hate being thrown into an overworld and told have at it with no clue whatsoever. I feel totally lost and confused this way and forced to consult a guide because I just can't figure out what to do at all.

The sky had a bunch of tiny rocks scattered around with chests on them and not much else. The place in the thundercloud was even smaller. The areas on the surface were smallish and not connected to each other. There really isnt anything to find. Lanayru was nothing but desert and quicksand and a sandship. Theres more fucking crap to see in the Minish Cap than in Skyward Sword. Ocarina Of Time and ALBW did overworld with a lot to do and see, but without making the player feel lost af really well. Zelda is likely not going to be like the first game where its "Its Dangerous to go alone, take this!" and thats it. And thats not what people are asking for (even though i wouldnt mind it.) We also arent asking for no story at all. The way ALBW, ALttP, and even WW did story was just right. Have deep lore, good world building, fun characters, etc, but dont get in the way of exploring and discovering Hyrule. SS had a good story and i loved some of the characters. But it swung too far into that direction because the gameplay and exploration were hindered as a result. It doesnt matter that you dont agree with it, its what happened. Why else did Nintendo follow up with ALBW? A game specifically designed to not railroad the player, but not leave them clueless.

http://www.amazon.com/%C3%95kami-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000Z9A95M/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1465073043&sr=1-1&keywords=okami

Currently you can buy Okami from Amazon for just $16, a real steal deal if I say so myself.

Dude. I have this game, but my copy has scratches or something on it cuz i got it used back when Blockbuster was still a thing. So it tends to freeze up in different places in the game (name Orochi fights) and its horribly annoying and sometimes happens more than once. I may consider repurchasing because this game is so damn good and i want to be able to play through it all without freezing. This is really only six dollars more than what i paid for my banged up one.

Whoa, okay, geez. You don't have to sound angry/annoyed with me. But it sounds like you're talking about the content in the overworld, not the size of the overworld itself. In that case, I do actually kind of agree there, because as big as SS's overworld was, there really wasn't all that much, even though I still loved the main story and gameplay. I'd have liked a little more myself. Thanks for clarifying all that, though.

And yeah, I think I'll buy Okami once I'm done Mario binging (seriously, I've just felt like playing a ton of Mario for some reason. I finished NSMB2, working on SM3D Land, and would like to pick up my Mario & Luigi games and Super Mario World too. I might even do another run through the SMG games as well if I still feel like it in the end. lol). :P

Edited by Anacybele

I feel like ALBW struck a great balance in mostly all departments. A good sized over world with things to explore, and it was non-linear to a respectable extent. Of course, it looks like the new Zelda is going to take the non-linearity a step further which is awesome in my books.

I finished NSMB2, working on SM3D Land, and would like to pick up my Mario & Luigi games and Super Mario World too.

Speaking of the M&L games, Nintendo better release Bowser's Inside Story on the e-shop, especially since the first two are already up. My personal favourite after the first.

Edited by DragonLord

Here are a few things I hope will be in Legend of Zelda U/NX:

1. The return of the magic meter.

2. Lots of dungeons.

3. A musical instrument.

4. The ability to equip any of the different swords/shields/tunics obtained at different points in the game (I disliked how in Wind Waker, weapons, shields, and the tunic just replace the previous items).

5. A great story.

Finally; and most importantly:

6. Ganondorf!!!! He has been missing for several games. I liked all the allusions to Ganon that have been present in recent games, such as the face of the Demon Train in Spirit Tracks, and the villain Demise in Skyward Sword being a pre-Ganondorf and the reason Ganon keeps coming back. However, it has been several years, and Ganondorf has yet to come back! Also, his appearance in A Link Between Worlds shouldn't count as that was just Yuga stealing the Triforce of Power! Nor should his appearance in Hyrule Warriors count as that was a spin-off; although I do like that they at least made him important in that game unlike a certain 3ds game I already mentioned... Bringing back Ganondorf is inevitable! Funny enough, both games that have been remade for the Wii U had Ganondorf as the main villain...

Edited by vanguard333

I actually agree with you for once. I never liked Ganon/Ganondorf anyway. I hope he stays retired as the main villain.

Or better yet, make Ghirahim the new Ganon/Ganondorf. He's so fabulous.

How many games have had Ganon in them? I think it's time to move on to bigger, badder villains.

Zelda 1

Depending on if you count the Game over screen, Zelda 2

A Link to the Past/Triforce of the Gods

Depending on if you count that one Dethl form, Link's Awakening

Ocarina of Time

Oracle/Mystic Nuts linked game

The Wind Waker

Four Swords Adventure

Twilight Princess

Depending on if you count Niko's little narration, Phantom Hourglass. His theme also appears in the Ghost Ship Chase music for... I actually dunno why haha.

Depending on if you count Demise's little call forward, Skyward Sword

A Link Between Worlds

That makes Majora's Mask, Four Swords, The Minish Cap, Spirit Tracks, and Tri Force Heroes the only true Ganonless games.

Edited by Glaceon Mage