Best and worst dads in Fire Emblem

Katie

Really, parents in general get the short end of the stick when it comes to our playable characters. The mother is lucky if she's mentioned at all but the father usually isn't much better, dying before they've had more than a handful of dialogue (if not before the story like in Marth/Lyn/Leif/Chrom's case). The only one they really tried to develop before offing him was Greil. Even Eliwood, the one father character who actually manages to survive till the end of the game and became a lord in the next barely get's any screen time in FE6.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, parents in general get the short end of the stick when it comes to our playable characters. The mother is lucky if she's mentioned at all but the father usually isn't much better, dying before they've had more than a handful of dialogue (if not before the story like in Marth/Lyn/Leif/Chrom's case). The only one they really tried to develop before offing him was Greil. Even Eliwood, the one father character who actually manages to survive till the end of the game and became a lord in the next barely get's any screen time in FE6.

Hayden might not be the father of the twins, but he still kinda counts, even though he is in the same category as FE6 Eliwood.

Among mothers, I'd say Eyvel has this in the bag. For starters, she rescued a little girl from slavery and adopted her. And she also acted as sort of a mother for Leaf, Nanna and protected them from their pursuers. Other members from the village seem to see her like this too. But she took things much further then that. In the whole chaos in Thracia, she carved out a save home for them, not just by organizing a militia but she also managed to get bandits to change their way. And while she considers herself Mareeta's mother, she is not so possessive that she doesn't know the importance of Mareeta spending time with her father Galzus and wants him to visit the girl occasionally.

And I think that she might be the only playable mother in the series to inspire her child. Even more impressive considering that it's Mareeta's father who is this big fancy Isaacian swordmaster. Too bad that they don't have much of an opportunity to fight side by side. If we count Tear Ring Saga, there would also be the Black Knight Silas and her daughter Sun. But unlike her daughter she is unfortunately in Prince Sennet's army, so she never becomes playable.

As for the worst one, Tharja I guess. But for a non-FE12-14 example, I'd say Rolf's mother. When their father died, she simply left her kids to fend for themselves.

For dads, I'd say Duessel. Well, he may not have actual children yet but despite all of his decorations he still acts very fatherly towards those under his authority, from nobles like Ephraim to commoners like Amelia. Besides, if possible I would like to vote for a guy who both looks and acts like a parent, doesn't die during the first act and is actually playable.

The worst one... well, for a non-Desmond example... I guess a good choice would be Alvis' father Victor. He cheats on his wife and rapes his servants. He gets bonus points for raping and impregnating a maid from his wife and one that Alvis actually cared about. And when his actions led his wife into the arms of another man, he got butthurt and killed himself. I suppose technically speaking he did Alvis a favor by leaving him fatherless at age 7.

I read a good theory somewhere that Victor's erratic behavior and gaunt appearance was because he was suffering from lead poisoning, which is something I personally like to believe for the sake of more complex character alignments.

Am I the only one who always thought about Emmeryn as a mother?
​Because that's definitely her role on the story, at least.

I would like to nominate EVERY SINGLE MALE CHARACTER IN FATES for the terrible father nomination, for patently obvious reasons. The hell is wrong with all of you, abandoning your children in alternate dimensions without even the company of their own siblings?

The worst thing they've done is to become fathers in the first place.

And having no idea how contraception works in the Fates Universe, I can't even blame them for that.

The worst dads are probably Desmond and that one king from Fe3. One tried to kill his son and the other one was willing to sell the Gust twins off which likely would have killed them.

The best is a harder pick since there is no shortage of good dads or moms for that matter. Muarim perhaps for raising a random kid he found.

While she isn't actually a mother i'd like to nominate Niime for worst female child raiser in Fire Emblem. Her support with her grandson was entertaining enough, but in Hugh's support with Lugh he mentioned that Niime wasn't putting her A rank staff skills to good use when he was bleeding like a runt. Not healing the person your supposed to raise when he's in serious danger isn't very praiseworthy behaviour.

The worst dads are probably Desmond and that one king from Fe3. One tried to kill his son and the other one was willing to sell the Gust twins off which likely would have killed them.

The best is a harder pick since there is no shortage of good dads or moms for that matter. Muarim perhaps for raising a random kid he found.

While she isn't actually a mother i'd like to nominate Niime for worst female child raiser in Fire Emblem. Her support with her grandson was entertaining enough, but in Hugh's support with Lugh he mentioned that Niime wasn't putting her A rank staff skills to good use when he was bleeding like a runt. Not healing the person your supposed to raise when he's in serious danger isn't very praiseworthy behaviour.

Niime knew Hugh would survive, and she did it to discipline and harden him. She also blames herself for her oldest two children turning themselves into husks a la Mass Effect and also getting the only playable Shaman in FE7 killed.

The best father is "clearly" King Desmond, I mean he totally takes care of his son and is a good fatherly figure.

Jokes aside, I can't think of the best dad, but I can name oje of the worst: Nergal, according to Hector's Story (albeit, he doesn't technically know it)

He was the father of Ninian and Nils, and sent them to the Dragon's Gate after something happened to their mother, I cant remember all the details. Anyway, after being corrupted by the dark magic, while trying to open the Dragon's Gate to get his children back, he forgot why he was opening it in the first place, only knowing that he needed more power and he needed to open it. He then proceeds to abuse these children and force them to nearly die opening trying to open the Dragons Gate, and manages to trick Eliwood into killing/nearly killing Ninian. Father father of the Year, people.

Edited by RoyStorm