TMS#FE Coverage at E3, starting in a few minutes

I was about to post something for the people not following the Treehouse Livestream, you're quick.

I've no idea what they are going to show (no spoilers would be nice, even if it's too late for me), but they've been pretty good at showcasing games so far, so if you're curious about the game, it should be an enjoyable watch. Maybe they'll even have a few guests from Atlus ? Apparently not, too bad.

Wait, they have swords ? And using an elec skill after Ziodyne failed isn't really the smartest thing, but apparently that special skill bypasses resistance.

They aren't really going to spoil the end boss of the chapter, are they ? It's a really hard fight though so I would be pretty cool to show, but at the same time... spoilers...

Well, there is it.

And time's over, well, wasn't long at least.

They presented a lot of things, side quests, boss fights, "random" encounters, class changing, creating new carnages (weapons)... Good presentation.

Edited by Avk

I'll probably buy it anyway, since it's only going to get more expensive as time goes on, but those attacks took the flashiness up to 12. Can we disable the flashier animations?

I enjoyed the new Trailer

The music was far more Serious, which was nice to see compared to the overall poppy style of their recent trailers.

Also, they fought

Bord, Cord and Excellus

on stage, scored an Overkill, and gave us about three dozen+ translations for skills and equipment. Too much for me to do right now!

949035f12b.png

Edited by Elieson

The music in the game isn't limited to the characters' songs, I really like all the boss battle themes for example. But yeah, they didn't use that kind of music in the previous trailer, it's a nice change, I'll update my other thread with this trailer at the end of Treehouse Live.

I probably should be updating my spreadsheet with all the official translations we had, but I'm too lazy for that... Especially since the game will be releasing soon and it won't be necessary any longer (not that it was that useful before).

So for anyone curious I stumbled upon an official site for NA.

http://tokyo-mirage-sessions.nintendo.com/

It's extremely bare boned with misleading thumbnails (they don't actually work) but I suppose since we got a week to release they'll keep updating it.

Now back to agonizing over what to save my money for first (namely BOXBOXBOY!, TMS#FE, and MHGen).

So for anyone curious I stumbled upon an official site for NA.

http://tokyo-mirage-sessions.nintendo.com/

It's extremely bare boned with misleading thumbnails (they don't actually work) but I suppose since we got a week to release they'll keep updating it.

Now back to agonizing over what to save my money for first (namely BOXBOXBOY!, TMS#FE, and MHGen).

The site seems a little broken, and the "Turn-based strategy RPG" mention is a little misleading with the "strategy" in it, doesn't mean that you don't need to play strategically (you sure need to, especially in harder difficulty mode), but it's more commonly associated with games like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics, to name a few. That would have been nice if they just mirrored the japanese official site, having the blog posts officially translated would be great, even though there are fan translations for most of them.

BOXBOXBOY should be pretty cheap if it's like the first one (I think ?), so I suppose it's more between #FE and MHG. I personally haven't finished MH4U yet (I'm still only rank G1 if I remember correctly) so I'm fine if I ever want to hunt a little, even if I must admit that the new styles and weapon arts all look incredibly cool.

Whoa. Spoilers everywhere. Of course it makes total sense to showcase near-endgame cutscenes and attacks.

The Firm Resolve skill has effectiveness to armours and knights added. Interesting.

I missed the extremely spoilery part the first time, I'm not sure why did they put that in this trailer... Although I suppose it's still pretty obscure for people who haven't play the game yet (not counting myself).

I didn't notice for Firm Resolve too, did it have another effect than Dragon effectiveness ? I don't recall having seen any, but my japanese is pretty bad so...

BOXBOXBOY should be pretty cheap if it's like the first one (I think ?), so I suppose it's more between #FE and MHG. I personally haven't finished MH4U yet (I'm still only rank G1 if I remember correctly) so I'm fine if I ever want to hunt a little, even if I must admit that the new styles and weapon arts all look incredibly cool.

I have never gotten very far in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (the one I own) mainly because it's the game in my collection that takes the most skill to do properly, so I also have that guilt in the back of my head, but the gameplay in generations looks so fresh and it'd be nice to play it on the go. Hence, the conundrum.

I have never gotten very far in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (the one I own) mainly because it's the game in my collection that takes the most skill to do properly, so I also have that guilt in the back of my head, but the gameplay in generations looks so fresh and it'd be nice to play it on the go. Hence, the conundrum.

Generations is much easier and easier to get into, as well as having the majority of monsters from 3U and 4U. Go for Generations.

I missed the extremely spoilery part the first time, I'm not sure why did they put that in this trailer... Although I suppose it's still pretty obscure for people who haven't play the game yet (not counting myself).

I didn't notice for Firm Resolve too, did it have another effect than Dragon effectiveness ? I don't recall having seen any, but my japanese is pretty bad so...

It could be an effort to show that this game is Fire Emblem-related, and showing those parts is the easiest way to do so. I suppose showing nothing but Prologue and Chapter 1 all the time would be boring too.

Firm Resolve originally has the effect of instant-killing all dragons (not counting bosses), so it's more than just being effective. Now that I think of it, since ad-lib skills inherit weapon effectiveness from the base skill(Firm Resolve's dragon effectiveness is an exception), that clip could simply be the result of Itsuki selecting Dual Killer (armour + horseback) and triggering Firm Resolve (dragon), even though I think keeping Dual Killer in late game (you don't get Firm Resolve until before Chapter 6 IIRC) is rather silly.

Ultimately, I can't decide for you but if you want an opinion :

- The two games are from very different genres from one another, so you can't compare them directly but depending on what kind of games you are in a mood for, it may help you decide.

- Picking up MHG is definitely more interesting for you than it is for me, just because you have skipped MH4U. You'll be able to experience the new monsters, new weapons and mechanics that have been introduced in MH4 (Insect Glaive, Charge Blade, verticality and mounting monsters) plus the new additions of MHG (new monsters, weapon arts and fighting styles). Personally, I'm expecting them to announce a new MH title in the near future, and I think getting back to MH after this eventual release.

- You said that you stopped MH3U pretty early in the game, is there a particular reason for that ? Because you may end up doing the same thing in MHG if it's because you don't like the gameplay much/don't have the motivation to keep "grinding" (the game is pretty repetitive in some ways, but I like MH games so it never has bothered me).

- Monster Hunter games tend to release at a much quicker rate while #FE on the opposite is a pretty unique game on Wii U. Actually, the closest game that I can think of is Persona 5, which is coming next year, and only on Playstation consoles.

The most important point is probably the first point "what kind of games do you currently want to play the most ?" but I know it's often not easy to decide but I don't think I can help you more than that. And to be honest, I don't feel really confident telling people what they should do or not with their money.

It could be an effort to show that this game is Fire Emblem-related, and showing those parts is the easiest way to do so. I suppose showing nothing but Prologue and Chapter 1 all the time would be boring too.

Firm Resolve originally has the effect of instant-killing all dragons (not counting bosses), so it's more than just being effective. Now that I think of it, since ad-lib skills inherit weapon effectiveness from the base skill(Firm Resolve's dragon effectiveness is an exception), that clip could simply be the result of Itsuki selecting Dual Killer (armour + horseback) and triggering Firm Resolve (dragon), even though I think keeping Dual Killer in late game (you don't get Firm Resolve until before Chapter 6 IIRC) is rather silly.

Thanks for the clarification, I've wondered for a while what "致死効果" meant in game ("Lethal Effect" I think), I guessed it was a chance to instant kill, but having confirmation is nice. I also didn't know that ad lib skills inherit effects from the base skill but it makes sense, I suppose they also keep effects from skills like Fang Breaker (Tarunda) or Leg Slice (Sukunda).

Dual Killer has pretty weak attack power if I remember correctly, so I also wonder why, maybe it is still useful with a Conqueror Chrom ? I think I remember him having a special passive making -slayer skills more stronger, but I'm not sure how much stronger.

Also, more on topic, I've mentioned it in the other thread, but they have uploaded the

Edited by Avk

Ultimately, I can't decide for you but if you want an opinion :

- The two games are from very different genres from one another, so you can't compare them directly but depending on what kind of games you are in a mood for, it may help you decide.

- Picking up MHG is definitely more interesting for you than it is for me, just because you have skipped MH4U. You'll be able to experience the new monsters, new weapons and mechanics that have been introduced in MH4 (Insect Glaive, Charge Blade, verticality and mounting monsters) plus the new additions of MHG (new monsters, weapon arts and fighting styles). Personally, I'm expecting them to announce a new MH title in the near future, and I think getting back to MH after this eventual release.

- You said that you stopped MH3U pretty early in the game, is there a particular reason for that ? Because you may end up doing the same thing in MHG if it's because you don't like the gameplay much/don't have the motivation to keep "grinding" (the game is pretty repetitive in some ways, but I like MH games so it never has bothered me).

- Monster Hunter games tend to release at a much quicker rate while #FE on the opposite is a pretty unique game on Wii U. Actually, the closest game that I can think of is Persona 5, which is coming next year, and only on Playstation consoles.

The most important point is probably the first point "what kind of games do you currently want to play the most ?" but I know it's often not easy to decide but I don't think I can help you more than that. And to be honest, I don't feel really confident telling people what they should do or not with their money.

First of all, I really appreciate how polite your response is.

On the topic of why I'm not that far into MH3U, it's not that I dislike the game, in fact it's one of my favorites on wii u, I'm just... odd. I have this weird complex during a playthrough of just about anything where if I decide I want to change something like time management or playstyle or whatever, I reset my file altogether as opposed to switching gears on the current one (I can't tell you how many times I reset my Blazing Sword file till I played the whole way through). I sink plenty of time into the game, I'm just really dumb and unconventional to say the least.

I agree that there'd be lots to discover in MHGen as someone who didn't play 4, though I should mention nothing will replace the bow. Ever.

As for what I'm interested in, I'm interested in both equally. MHGen for the refinements, and TMS#FE for being one of the few ATLUS games that looks both fun and safe for me (I'm careful around buying ATLUS titles since I'm aware of some things in a few of their games that would offend me as a practicing Catholic).

And no, release frequency doesn't matter in the slightest.

First of all, I really appreciate how polite your response is.

On the topic of why I'm not that far into MH3U, it's not that I dislike the game, in fact it's one of my favorites on wii u, I'm just... odd. I have this weird complex during a playthrough of just about anything where if I decide I want to change something like time management or playstyle or whatever, I reset my file altogether as opposed to switching gears on the current one (I can't tell you how many times I reset my Blazing Sword file till I played the whole way through). I sink plenty of time into the game, I'm just really dumb and unconventional to say the least.

I agree that there'd be lots to discover in MHGen as someone who didn't play 4, though I should mention nothing will replace the bow. Ever.

As for what I'm interested in, I'm interested in both equally. MHGen for the refinements, and TMS#FE for being one of the few ATLUS games that looks both fun and safe for me (I'm careful around buying ATLUS titles since I'm aware of some things in a few of their games that would offend me as a practicing Catholic).

And no, release frequency doesn't matter in the slightest.

You are welcome, I'm just trying to help people interested in the game make an informed decision, in your case the fact that I know the series of the other game you're interested in is quite helpful too.

I think I understand your feeling a little, I used to only play with one weapon type in each game (it was Long Sword in MH Freedom Unite, Switch Axe in MH3U, and Insect Glaive in MH4U), but in the last game I started trying other weapons too, but it still feels a little awkward for some reasons (Long Sword and then Bow in MH4U, and I only started doing that like one rank before G1, I really like Bow).

There is a demo available for MHG, I've heard that it's limited in NA since you need to receive a code of something, but if you are european, you can get it here after logging into your Nintendo account. The demo is really good and has unlimited use in the european version at least, allowing you to try all weapons with all styles. My only reproach is that you can't modify the UI in the touchscreen (I usually put a directionnal cross to control the camera on the up right corner of the screen).

One point I forgot to mention is that MHG is likely to be more "efficient" in a money/game length ratio, since MH games are very repetitive by nature (I don't mean that in a negative way) while #FE is a linear JRPG. Although you can play #FE for a really long time too, if you want to complete all "achievements", or try harder difficulties etc... but one playthrough shouldn't last you as long as going through MHG (I expect ~60h from #FE, not counting multiple playthroughs, and I usually have like... 200h in MH games).

For #FE being safer than the usual Atlus title I definitely agree with that (the game is quite lighthearted), although I think most Atlus games seem okay in that regard except the mainline SMT games (unless depiction of angels as demons/persona is also no good ?). But I can only say for sure for the latest Persona games, I don't think that Etrian Odyssey games have religious content in them too, can't really say for their other non-SMT games.

And lastly, fair enough. I think you have most elements to make your choice, especially if you end up being able to try the demo and check the reviews for #FE (if I'm not mistaken, available in 2 days, June 22).

Ultimately, nothing really prevents you from getting the one you want to play the most first and buy the second latter so it's not like it's really an absolutely binary choice.

Edited by Avk

You are welcome, I'm just trying to help people interested in the game make an informed decision, in your case the fact that I know the series of the other game you're interested in is quite helpful too.

I think I understand your feeling a little, I used to only play with one weapon type in each game (it was Long Sword in MH Freedom Unite, Switch Axe in MH3U, and Insect Glaive in MH4U), but in the last game I started trying other weapons too, but it still feels a little awkward for some reasons (Long Sword and then Bow in MH4U, and I only started doing that like one rank before G1, I really like Bow).

There is a demo available for MHG, I've heard that it's limited in NA since you need to receive a code of something, but if you are european, you can get it here after logging into your Nintendo account. The demo is really good and has unlimited use in the european version at least, allowing you to try all weapons with all styles. My only reproach is that you can't modify the UI in the touchscreen (I usually put a directionnal cross to control the camera on the up right corner of the screen).

One point I forgot to mention is that MHG is likely to be more "efficient" in a money/game length ratio, since MH games are very repetitive by nature (I don't mean that in a negative way) while #FE is a linear JRPG. Although you can play #FE for a really long time too, if you want to complete all "achievements", or try harder difficulties etc... but one playthrough shouldn't last you as long as going through MHG (I expect ~60h from #FE, not counting multiple playthroughs, and I usually have like... 200h in MH games).

For #FE being safer than the usual Atlus title I definitely agree with that (the game is quite lighthearted), although I think most Atlus games seem okay in that regard except the mainline SMT games (unless depiction of angels as demons/persona is also no good ?). But I can only say for sure for the latest Persona games, I don't think that Etrian Odyssey games have religious content in them too, can't really say for their other non-SMT games.

And lastly, fair enough. I think you have most elements to make your choice, especially if you end up being able to try the demo and check the reviews for #FE (if I'm not mistaken, available in 2 days, June 22).

Ultimately, nothing really prevents you from getting the one you want to play the most first and buy the second latter so it's not like it's really an absolutely binary choice.

I'm in the americas so I'll get a whack at the demo at the end of this month. Good idea to put the link there though.

On the note of ATLUS, I in fact own the original Etrian Odyssey for DS and it's been clean so your right about it not being offensive(also yay I finally made it to stratum 4!). And yeah, grouping angels in with demons doesn't exactly sit too well with me. It's not too terrible, but enough to drive me off.