*Birthright spoilers* what was your reaction to...

Alastor15243

140 members have voted

1. 1. Flora's suicide: your reaction?

• It was stupid/hilarious
    • I felt nothing
    • I cried

So I just wanted to get the general opinion on this forum about reactions to Flora's death. I personally found it ridiculous for a number of reasons:

1: Seriously, she raises her hands and magically lights herself on fire with no visible tools? Since when did the narrative ever suggest that was something the ice tribe members could do? I mean it kinda vaguely hints at something similar if you talk to Felicia with the avatar, saying that ice magic works by drawing heat from the outside world into yourself, but other than that...

2: I simply hadn't gotten to know Flora enough to care about her death or, more crucially, to believe that she would decide to kill herself in such a dramatic, over-the-top way while acting so calm. Seriously, if nothing else, why the hell would she do it IN FRONT OF HER OWN SISTER?

3: Kaze had just died a few chapters ago, this was way too soon for another random character to die.

4: It just... felt... cheap. For a combination of all of the above reasons, it felt like it was coldly calculated to bring out a generic emotion.

A lot of people I've seen agree with me, but I wanted to try and gauge the general opinion on this matter: what did YOU feel about Flora's suicide?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The suicide was stupid and unnecessary. It's a written for convenience to add another thing to make you hate Nohr/Garon, when the death could have been avoided entirely.

It's very weird that an Ice-Type user would use a Fire-Type magic so strong that another Ice-Type user cannot defeat it.

It's also not sad unless you've played Nohr/Revelation and have developed a liking to Flora, else it's just another death of a character you barely knew.

Note: You can prevent Kaze's death, which was unnecessary and stupid for the easier version of the game, if you raised his support to A.

Overall, Birthright just has that convenient writing that pushes you along to make you happy that you're doing the right thing by killing characters off. This event is stupid and could have been handled way better, but the writers just want to kill things off instead of dealing with writing anything good.

The suicide was stupid and unnecessary. It's a written for convenience to add another thing to make you hate Nohr/Garon, when the death could have been avoided entirely.

It's very weird that an Ice-Type user would use a Fire-Type magic so strong that another Ice-Type user cannot defeat it.

It's also not sad unless you've played Nohr/Revelation and have developed a liking to Flora, else it's just another death of a character you barely knew.

Note: You can prevent Kaze's death, which was unnecessary and stupid for the easier version of the game, if you raised his support to A.

Overall, Birthright just has that convenient writing that pushes you along to make you happy that you're doing the right thing by killing characters off. This event is stupid and could have been handled way better, but the writers just want to kill things off instead of dealing with writing anything good.

It's also hilarious considering that she sets herself on fire, but then goes on a long-winded speech telling them not to mourn. :Kappa:

I played Conquest first and really liked Fiora, so I would've felt generally saddened by it...

If the internet wasn't a plot spoiling asshole.

I saw it coming from a mile away, because some asshole posted a photo of the event without marking it as a spoiler. So because of that, I felt nothing.

I didn't exactly know what to feel when Flora died. On one hand, it was sad since she basically killed herself in front of her loved ones, especially Felicia. What's even worse is if you're playing as a female avatar, since Felicia just recently joined your army only to see her sister die soon after. On the other hand, she was pretty bitchy at the beginning of that chapter. Yes, Corrin thought it was normal, but take into account what happened after that and you could tell it was suspicious.

How she committed suicide was really stupid like how everyone else said. Why did a girl who has ice powers use fire magic to burn herself? Yes, freezing herself wouldn't kill her as easily, but fire? Plus, why did she have to commit suicide there? If she had to face Garon, she at least has the support of Corrin's army. Why couldn't she have supported them?

All three routes attempt to up the stakes by killing off various characters, but most of them fail to have the required impact necessary to make the player care. Even without internet spoils, I found Flora's death to be simply nonsensical, and that is coming from someone who really likes her character. It would be diffident if she insisted on fighting to the bitter end and the avatar had to put her down. That would give me more reason to be emotionaly invested as my avatar had to kill someone he really quite liked, and who liked him back. Actually, all the deaths could be improved (other than Elise) or at least better written. But as has already been stated, IS seemed to think that you up the stakes by killing people like they are characters in a George RR Martin book.

How she committed suicide was really stupid like how everyone else said. Why did a girl who has ice powers use fire magic to burn herself? Yes, freezing herself wouldn't kill her as easily, but fire? Plus, why did she have to commit suicide there? If she had to face Garon, she at least has the support of Corrin's army. Why couldn't she have supported them?

Yeah, that was weird too, now that I think about it:

"I should've done this the second Garon threatened me. Maybe I could have taken him down with me..."

...So why not tag along with the people who would unknowingly give you the perfect opportunity to do exactly that?

Sung to the tune of Let it Go

The snow glows white on the hamlet tonight

Not a traitor to be seen

A kingdom of immolation

And it looks like I'm the queen.

The wind is howling like this obv'ous plan inside

Could not be subtle,

if I only tried!

Don't let them on,

don't let them see

A blue unit you always have to be

Conceal, don't feel,

don't let them know

Well, now they know!

Let it go, let it go

Can't hold them back anymore

Let it go, let it go

Turn red and kill some more!

I don't care

That Corr'n's going to whine

Let the fight rage on,

It's cold, but I feel just fine!

It's funny how this Birthright

Makes everything seem dumb

And the prince who once controlled me

Can't see where I'm coming from!

It's time to see what I can do

To turn coat and then kill thee

I'm right, you're wrong, you're dumb,

and me, I'm free!

Let it go, let it go

I am one with the wind and sky

Let it go, let it go

Can't wait to see Corr'n cry!

Here I stand

And here I'll stay

Guess it's since I'm the boss ...

My village furies 'gainst Hoshido and then dies

Corr'n I said I liked you, but those were just lies

And then King Garon made me on his side

I'm never leaving here,

I wish I had just died!

Let it go, let it go

And I'll die for Garon's ire

Let it go, let it go

That perfect girl's on fire!

Here I burn

In the light of me

Let the flames burn on,

The heat will be the end of me!

I couldn't feel sad about it. I knew nothing about Flora before meeting her and she killed herself for what seems like no reason. She betrayed Corrin but doesn't try to make up for it. Is really hard for me to sympathize with her.

@rezzy that was amazing

I couldn't feel sad about it. I knew nothing about Flora before meeting her and she killed herself for what seems like no reason. She betrayed Corrin but doesn't try to make up for it. Is really hard for me to sympathize with her.

@rezzy that was amazing

Thank you very much. I'm feeling very Let it Go! today.

It was dumb. I couldn't stop laughing because she was on fire but still giving a big speech about duty and sacrifice and regret and love and whatnot.

People do not talk when they are on fire. They scream. Flora not doing so--as well as setting herself on fire out of the blue--basically ruined it for me.

It was dumb. I couldn't stop laughing because she was on fire but still giving a big speech about duty and sacrifice and regret and love and whatnot.

People do not talk when they are on fire. They scream. Flora not doing so--as well as setting herself on fire out of the blue--basically ruined it for me.

Yeah.

What they should have done was make her set herself on fire and then instantly regret it, screaming and crying. She could have tried to be saved, and the others could have also tried to help too, but could have failed. That would have been more realistic and sadder.

The first time I saw it, I was playing the Japanese version so it took me a long time to read through her speech. Ever burning, ever calm.

There were two main faults in the execution (heh) of the scene.

1. Death by fire is an extremely horrible way to die, and if Flora was determined to end her life, she should have used a knife. Also, as mentioned above, you aren't going to be giving a speech while burning to death.

2. The game doesn't do a good job at selling that Flora's tribe is in serious danger. The Hoshidans are already deep in Nohr on their way to kill Garon. If Flora's failure meant the death of her people, she might as well place her bets on Kamui rather than kill herself for some unneeded penance.

The first time I saw it, I was playing the Japanese version so it took me a long time to read through her speech. Ever burning, ever calm.

There were two main faults in the execution (heh) of the scene.

1. Death by fire is an extremely horrible way to die, and if Flora was determined to end her life, she should have used a knife. Also, as mentioned above, you aren't going to be giving a speech while burning to death.

2. The game doesn't do a good job at selling that Flora's tribe is in serious danger. The Hoshidans are already deep in Nohr on their way to kill Garon. If Flora's failure meant the death of her people, she might as well place her bets on Kamui rather than kill herself for some unneeded penance.

Flora saw that the story of Birthright was horrible. Death was the only way out.

Nothing. For starters, the game doesn't even give the player enough time to really feel anything for Flora. Sure, you can feel bad for Felicia, but outside of that, not much. The scene is confusing, and it seems really stupid that she feels so strongly about her position that she'll kill herself rather than help you. Even if the ice tribe was going to be taken out, it really doesn't make sense for her to simply... Join you.

All of these deaths in Fates made me feel that the writer(s) do not understand how to properly have someone die and provoke emotions from the audience. Primarily because they feel random more than they feel well written.