Brexit

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't saying there was gonna be a second referendum.

Considering how currently at least Boris Johnson (lol at 'no less united') seems to have gotten cold feet about invoking Article 50 in haste immediately as was planned, ironically going against the will of the people undemocratically against a supposedly undemocratic EU, who have responded in saying that the UK government should respect the decision of the British people as soon as possible.

Edited by Tryhard

Boris Johnson is fucked. All of the brexit figureheads are fucked. Whoever ends up being PM and doesn't pull the trigger is fucked, if they do pull it then the Scottish secession, huge recession and the trade agreements they're going to get mean they're fucked.

Except for Nigel Farage, of course. That bastard didn't even get elected, and gets to watch from the sidelines and heckle the rest like the goblin he is.

Edited by Excellen Browning

Boris Johnson is fucked. All of the brexit figureheads are fucked. Whoever ends up being PM and doesn't pull the trigger is fucked, if they do pull it then the Scottish secession, huge recession and the trade agreements they're going to get mean they're fucked.

Except for Nigel Farage, of course. That bastard didn't even get elected, and gets to watch from the sidelines and heckle the rest like the goblin he is.

I imagine the only PM who wouldn't be completely screwed would be one campaigning under the promise to keep the UK in the EU (if a general election were to be called by Parliament). Their being elected could reasonably be considered a democratic mandate to ignore the referendum result after a period of national regret.

Edit:

I don't think this is likely. But it's a possibility and what I personally hope happens.

Edited by Wist

My opinion is that it's Britain being Britain.

Or more England being England since Scotland and Northern Ireland voted massively for Remain, and Wales was almost evenly split.

They do this incredibly boneheaded move and complain about the stereotype when called on it. :D

Edited by Cerberus87

So, I've heard that some Pro-Leave Campaigners have actually began backpedaling.

As is, they are starting to retreat from their promises, especially when it comes to immigration.

Is this true?

So, I've heard that some Pro-Leave Campaigners have actually began backpedaling.

As is, they are starting to retreat from their promises, especially when it comes to immigration.

Is this true?

Of course. Those people who voted leave may find that their enemies are ones much closer to home, and ones surprisingly far more "British" by their definition. This changed nothing about immigration without addressing any UK government laws, and will only serve as a DIY recession.

I would hate to see some people like this being further emboldened...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/26/racist-incidents-feared-to-be-linked-to-brexit-result-reported-in-england-and-wales

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-eu-referendum-racial-racism-abuse-hate-crime-reported-latest-leave-immigration-a7104191.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/eu-referendum-racism_uk_576fe161e4b08d2c56396075

Edit: Truthfully, there's evidence to expect that Boris Johnson and other pro-leave leaders did not expect/want to win (aside from Farage, of course) and only participated because it would undermine the UK government for their own benefit. Now that they've got what they've technically wished a metaphorical bomb has been thrust on them.

Edited by Tryhard

Of course. Those people who voted leave may find that their enemies are ones much closer to home, and ones surprisingly far more "British" by their definition. This changed nothing about immigration without addressing any UK government laws, and will only serve as a DIY recession.

I would hate to see some people like this being further emboldened...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/26/racist-incidents-feared-to-be-linked-to-brexit-result-reported-in-england-and-wales

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-eu-referendum-racial-racism-abuse-hate-crime-reported-latest-leave-immigration-a7104191.html

Seeing this makes me think that reason that they are backpedaling was because they didn't expect to win.

So they made all sorts of promises they knew they couldn't fufill.

I've heard Britain has been talking about leaving for years, and yet, I think this whole Brexit thing went by too fast, without giving people the time to think or the other countries time to prepare.

Edited by Water Mage

From what i've been reading there seems to be a bit of a problem with how the Brexit will go. To leave the EU Great Britain needs to activate article 50 which is a formal request to leave the EU. Cameron was supposed to do that, but....he did not. He resigned instead and left that to his succesor. Its actually a bit of a clever move since it would take a lot of courage to request leaving the Eu now that the Brexiters are backpaddling. Its especially bad news for Johnson since he would lose all credibility if he does not formally request for Great Britain to leave the Eu.

And that creates another problem since Johnson said he only want to formally say he's leaving when he has negotiated a good deal with the EU, but the EU has shot that idea down completely. They don't want long periods of uncertainty so they are only willing to negotiate about the terms of leaving when Britain actually requests to leave. In other words Johnson wants a good deal before he leaves the EU, while the EU wants Great Britain to leave before they are willing to talk about things.

Edited by Sasori

Part of the problem seems to be that the Leave campaign was not always on the same page. As I understand, people like Nigel Farage weren't even officially part of the Vote Leave campaign.

So this leads to contradicting statements and promises from different groups advocating for Leave.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/683739/EU-referendum-German-French-European-superstate-Brexit

So much for it being a conspiracy, the EU is now on full way to becoming a superstate.

Oh bloody hell, someone put this on Alternate History.com too, and it was just as stupid. Right then. The article doesn't actually cite shit in terms of meaningful evidence. It claims to magically know that this is what France and Germany seek. Apparently, to summarize for those who don't want to get cancer by reading the Express, this plan was leaked to a Polish news agency. Okay, Tuvarkz, give me that original source. Where does this leak come from? Ironically, despite what you said, this is still very much just a conspiracy theory.

Your source, which I can't find any other real source for aside from conspiracy websites such as InfoWars is a UKIP-supporting paper that posted this just a few days ago:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/682849/Euro-migrant-crisis-an-inside-job-planned-to-bring-about-EU-super-state-says-David-Icke

C'mon.

Edited by Tryhard

I mean, I think it would be because it would probably mean the monarchies of Europe would fall, which would make me a very sad blah. Also, Europe, IMO, is too diverse to combine into a Federation like this, especially when their economies differ so dramatically, and when there are still unresolved issues between so many different countries, particularly with regard to the Balkans.

Constitutional changes like that require all member states to agree on it. Only one would have to VETO. It would have been impossible for Britain to have been sucked into something like that without the consent of the elected representatives.

Even Rome didn't unify Europe largely because there wasn't a concept of Europe back then. Napoleon tried but ironically it was in a form that was kind of similar to the modern EU, and not in a single superstate.

also, even if they did become a "superstate" lol (united states of europe, use), that isn't necessarily a bad thing

Europe is too divided ethnically and culturally for that to work.

The USA was able to get away with it due to restricting immigration to Europe, and assimilating everyone into one American identity and culture. Although US history shows that groups like the Irish demonstrate ethnic tensions even among white/European people.

Of course, things have changed since then, so for all I know the US could eventually go the way of the Balkans.

Edited by CyborgZeta

Yeah, Balkanization in America would only occur due to economic factors, not cultural ones. It would be a mistake to completely rule it out, but it's far more unlikely than in any other country save for homogenous ones like France and Germany.

the USA itself was founded on the idea that we could throw away cultural differences and form one melting pot as an "American" identity, rather than cling to them and stay fractured.

Right, that was the idea. Now, it's no longer the case, due to the advent of multiculturalism.

The expectation to assimilate, learn English, and become American is no longer there.

Right, that was the idea. Now, it's no longer the case, due to the advent of multiculturalism.

The expectation to assimilate, learn English, and become American is no longer there.

So what, you see Black people forming their own indepenndant state? Chinese Americans? Mexican Americans? It's not going to happen.

I don't understand why minorities would want to form their own state though. If you immigrated to america, but want a state for your own ethnicity, wouldn't the idea be just to return to your own country then?

i dunno, but that would explain why there are people that try to sneak into the country and refuse to learn the main language.

never mind our terrorist attacks and other issues, america's kinda messed up at the moment.

So what, you see Black people forming their own indepenndant state? Chinese Americans? Mexican Americans? It's not going to happen.

I'm not sure about the other groups. The Chicano Movement and "Aztlán" are definitely a thing though. There are Latino groups in the US that advocate either regaining the southwestern states for Mexico, or forming a new nation, "Aztlán".

Balkanization in the US is a big What-If. I'm not saying it will happen, but I look at socials issues in the US today...and I'm not entirely convinced the idea is as impossible as one might think. Not for the near future, but maybe the far future.