What would you change in a FE title?

Rapier

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replace the ability to save with a self-erasing suspend or continue system. Or else increase difficulty immensely to justify having saving.

So uh, what happens when the Lord dies? I don't want to have to start from the beginning.

FE11 - Any one of increase enemy class variety / scale enemy offense more profoundly / increase mid-to-lategame enemy density.

I'd also be interested to see FE12's H3/H4 changes bar the stats (i.e. enemy density & accuracy buffs, Silver Card/Warp/Aum unavailability, 1-2 dragon range, maybe even the option for reverse) on lower difficulties. No idea of what significance the impact might be, I'm just curious above anything else. Alternatively, an ironman option for any given FE would be nice.

So uh, what happens when the Lord dies? I don't want to have to start from the beginning.

In that case it automatically self-destructs and destroys your entire console.

Awakening: Remove supports/plot relevance from the spotpass characters, make them all-around more like the bonuses from FE8 (also make yen'fay and gangrel more unique), make Priam less lame, take Valm and make it its own game, give Chrom and Lucina more in-story development, make the story focus less on MU.

Radiant Dawn: Fix supports, make part 3 less "Ride of the prepromotes", give the dawn brigade more tier 2 time, make the script line up with the japanese hard mode script.

Path of Radiance: Promotion branches, ala sacred stones. Berserker Boyd, anyone?

Sacred Stones: More complex development for the lords, Eirika especially but also Ephraim. Make the last unit in the game not...Syrene. Creature Campaign-only level resetter.

Blazing Sword: Fix the whole "blow the plot load at chapter 20" nonsense, make Eliwood more lance-focused, make the Sol Katti stronger, add a non-crutch knight.

Binding Blade: Give Roy a Heaven Seal before the second route split, add dismounting (CECILIA), make the regalia stupid durable (Did you know that Roland slaughtered half of Spain, attempted to smash Durendal on a rock, and it still didn't break?), let Hector live as an endgame prepromote that isn't a magic user or Karel, make the plot line up better with FE7.

Give Lyn Murgleis at the end of FE7 instead of having Athos pull another legendary weapon out of his ass. It's from her home land, she had a bow rank, there's no reason not to let her have it aside from Lords Use Swords. Weapon rank isn't even a good excuse since prf weapons don't use ranks. (Though admitedly it could be somewhat frustrating to train her up to A rank in Bows only to be given a bow that's just as good as any other and can be used with D rank)

Edited by Jotari

Give Lyn Muggleis at the end of FE7 instead of having Athos pull another legendary weapon out of his ass. It's from her home land, she had a bow rank, there's no reason not to let her have it aside from Lords Use Swords. Weapon rank isn't even a good excuse since prf weapons don't use ranks. (Though admitedly it could be somewhat frustrating to train her up to A rank in Bows only to be given a bow that's just as good as any other and can be used with D rank)

Alternatively, make Eliwood focused on spears and give him Maltet so Lyn gets Durandal instead, albeit with its weight cut back to its far more manageable 12 from Binding Blade. And bump up Lyn's CON, too, so she doesn't lose 6 effective speed when using it.

For awakening, cut out Valm entirely and have the focus just be this massive war between Ylisse and Plegia...with both sides obtaining wins and loses over the other...until finally Plegia uses the dark dragon Grima to finish Ylisse off and you have to stop it. Make it more dark and gritty like the Tellius series where there's no stupid slapstick moments. I want totally serious all the way through.

Can't comment on fates yet as I haven't played it.

PoR...give everyone a promotion (especially Sothe) and add new classes like dark mages, Pirates, bandits, etc...

Radiant Dawn...make part 1 MUCH longer so that in part 3 the DB aren't a complete joke to fight.

For awakening, cut out Valm entirely and have the focus just be this massive war between Ylisse and Plegia...with both sides obtaining wins and loses over the other...until finally Plegia uses the dark dragon Grima to finish Ylisse off and you have to stop it. Make it more dark and gritty like the Tellius series where there's no stupid slapstick moments. I want totally serious all the way through.

Can't comment on fates yet as I haven't played it.

PoR...give everyone a promotion (especially Sothe) and add new classes like dark mages, Pirates, bandits, etc...

Radiant Dawn...make part 1 MUCH longer so that in part 3 the DB aren't a complete joke to fight.

I don't think length is the issue with the Dawn Brigade. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I believe you get more chapters with them than you do with Ike. The issue is the fact that the Greil Mercs all start off with at least twenty levels above the Dawn Brigade units and the Dawn Brigade are expected to catch up in about three chapters. Radiant Dawn either needs to make everyone start at Tier 1 possibly resulting in the removal of the third tier entirely which as it stands was pretty pointless in Radiant Dawn given like 80% of the cast start in tier 2 (and most of that remainder are Laguz).

I don't think length is the issue with the Dawn Brigade. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I believe you get more chapters with them than you do with Ike. The issue is the fact that the Greil Mercs all start off with at least twenty levels above the Dawn Brigade units and the Dawn Brigade are expected to catch up in about three chapters. Radiant Dawn either needs to make everyone start at Tier 1 possibly resulting in the removal of the third tier entirely which as it stands was pretty pointless in Radiant Dawn given like 80% of the cast start in tier 2 (and most of that remainder are Laguz).

Then maybe they should've given the DB more chapters in part 3 AND start the greil mercs at lower levels (maybe level 5 at the most). And while I see your point about 3rd tier, there's just something so fun about becoming stupidly powerful. Don't know if they're broken yet as I haven't finished the game yet but I assume it won't be too bad as the enemy will use 3rd tier as well...right?

Edited by Dinar87

Then maybe they should've given the DB more chapters in part 3 AND start the greil mercs at lower levels (maybe level 5 at the most). And while I see your point about 3rd tier, there's just something so fun about becoming stupidly powerful. Don't know if they're broken yet as I haven't finished the game yet but I assume it won't be too bad as the enemy will use 3rd tier as well...right?

It's not the fact that they're broken. It's that there essentially is no third tier since everyone starts as a pre promote.

It's not the fact that they're broken. It's that there essentially is no third tier since everyone starts as a pre promote.

Except for the DB that is...but I think we both know why they don't really count as it's pretty much a waste to train them past part 1.

Having Gangrel awaken Grima as a desperation play is actually a really cool idea. Cooler still is if he retains control of himself after awakening Grima. I always wanted a genre savvy FE antagonist like Yuga in a Link Between Worlds who makes the evil God his bitch, Ãœbermensch style.

Even among the Dawn Brigade, Sothe, Toureneo, Zihark, Tormod, Muarim, Volug and Nailah (and the Black Knight) are all prepromotes or have the stats of prepromotes which is probably close to half the available units for Part 1.

There are two ways to make the DB balanced with the mercs:

Give them more time to grow through tier 2. In other words, add more DB chapters in Part III, or expand Part I with all those battles we're told about but never actually see.

Make the GM's start weaker, more on par with how the DB starts. As is, the focus of their chapters is on much higher levels than the Dawn Brigade and they're OP in comparison as a result.

Also, unrelated to FE10, but make the FFO/PFoD route splits based on who the main lord is. Same for Harken vs Karel, as is the way they are selected is rather stupid, as at least on the Kenneth route it feels like you must turtle to get Harken.

Even among the Dawn Brigade, Sothe, Toureneo, Zihark, Tormod, Muarim, Volug and Nailah (and the Black Knight) are all prepromotes or have the stats of prepromotes which is probably close to half the available units for Part 1.

In a perfect world I'd of had part 1 be the size of PoR (ok maybe a bit smaller but still) so there'd be enough time to train them all.

Having Gangrel awaken Grima as a desperation play is actually a really cool idea. Cooler still is if he retains control of himself after awakening Grima. I always wanted a genre savvy FE antagonist like Yuga in a Link Between Worlds who makes the evil God his bitch, Ãœbermensch style.

That's sort of the aim Negral was going for before Eliwood and his meddling friends got involved. I actually think it'd be pretty cool to have someone unless a Dark God to destroy their enemies only to have a my god what have I done moment after realising how completely destructive and uncontainable such a beast is. So often in Fire Emblem the people releasing the sealed evil in the cans are just batshit insane with no regard towards their own well being.

That's sort of the aim Negral was going for before Eliwood and his meddling friends got involved. I actually think it'd be pretty cool to have someone unless a Dark God to destroy their enemies only to have a my god what have I done moment after realising how completely destructive and uncontainable such a beast is. So often in Fire Emblem the people releasing the sealed evil in the cans are just batshit insane with no regard towards their own well being.

That'd be ok with me. Though I do occasionally like having purely evil characters like the senators.

What would I change?

Starting with FE 3...

FE 3 - Nothing

FE 4 - Nothing (I like the long, drawn out maps)

FE 5 - Haven't played it yet, still nothing

FE 6 - Nothing

FE 7 - Nothing

FE 8 - Overall enemy growths increased a bit

FE 9 - Nothing (Haven't gotten past the prologue)

FE 10 - Extra Dawn Brigade exclusive chapters added in part 3

FE 11 - Nothing at all

FE 12 - Nothing

FE 13 - Story Promotion for chrom (chapter 16)

FE 14 Still trying to beat conquest, but nothing so far.

Why say anything, when I would change nothing about so many FE games? Because I'm perfectly happy with what we have today.

Edited by Lord Tullus

So uh, what happens when the Lord dies? I don't want to have to start to the beginning.

The way I see lords working in a SRPG with only temporary saves is that you would get 2 early on, and then a third later, and if one died while you had one of the other two in reserve (even if undeployed) one of the remaining ones would deploy on the map mid-battle. The story would of course branch depending on which lord was in control of the army, to demonstrate their different personality, loyalties, etc, and more importantly the different branches would be available without needing to sacrifice units, but would take the form of a choice or series of alternate level objects to give you a branch 1 or 2 if you progressed with everyone alive (probably showing a coop d'tat or some other form of leadership on one of the paths. But it would force you to go to branch 1 if lord 2 had died, or branch 2 if lord 2 had died.. If you did end up losing all of the lords, I still think starting from the beginning is fair. It would probably bias the game to a series of short maps instead of a mix of long and short though.

I think this keeping one of multiple vital units will be less taxing than the single lord, even with the intense difficulty created by being forced to ironman. And it's story potential is not to be overlooked either. Finally, while you had 2 or 3, you COULD choose to deploy both if you wanted too, and boh would have lord specific abilities (IE seize) which could lead to some new map design, or at least greatly change the flow of your traditional seize map.

Edited by Reality

The way I see lords working in a SRPG with only temporary saves is that you would get 2 early on, and then a third later, and if one died while you had one of the other two in reserve (even if undeployed) one of the remaining ones would deploy on the map mid-battle. The story would of course branch depending on which lord was in control of the army, to demonstrate their different personality, loyalties, etc, and more importantly the different branches would be available without needing to sacrifice units, but would take the form of a choice or series of alternate level objects to give you a branch 1 or 2 if you progressed with everyone alive (probably showing a coop d'tat or some other form of leadership on one of the paths. But it would force you to go to branch 1 if lord 2 had died, or branch 2 if lord 2 had died.. If you did end up losing all of the lords, I still think starting from the beginning is fair. It would probably bias the game to a series of short maps instead of a mix of long and short though.

I think this keeping one of multiple vital units will be less taxing than the single lord, even with the intense difficulty created by being forced to ironman. And it's story potential is not to be overlooked either. Finally, while you had 2 or 3, you COULD choose to deploy both if you wanted too, and boh would have lord specific abilities (IE seize) which could lead to some new map design, or at least greatly change the flow of your traditional seize map.

Yeah, count me out. I love hard games, but I hate punishing games. If I already beat something, I'll play it again because I want to, not because the game forced me to.

...no, that would be pushing too hard on redemption for me, and I generally hate it when villains are redeemed.

Yeah, count me out. I love hard games, but I hate punishing games. If I already beat something, I'll play it again because I want to, not because the game forced me to.

...no, that would be pushing too hard on redemption for me, and I generally hate it when villains are redeemed.

I like my villains having some human emotions and relatable behaviour rather than being evil for the sake of evil's sake. Not saying all or even most villains have to redeem but I think unleashing something like Grima on the world would give a lot of people pause to consider the sensibility of their actions. Especially if it's someone like Gangrel who claims to fight for the sake of his country only to end unleashing something that would wreck his nation just as soon as any other (and all himanity to boot).

It appears this situation is nothing more than some people liking purely evil characters while others like villians with a bit of emotions and realism. Both are perfectly acceptable opinions in my eyes.

Edited by Dinar87

FE3: Add back in cut chapters and characters for Book 1/ bring back Axe Wielders in Book 2

FE4: Haven't played

FE5: Also haven't played

FE6: Fix Weapons to FE7 stats/give Nomads Beast effectiveness

FE7: Fix calcs to FE6 standard (effectiveness x3)

FE8: +5% growths to enemies

FE9: Add Maniac mode while keeping Easy

FE10: Haven't played, but probably add Dark Mage

FE11: remove gaiden requirements

FE12: Fix Wyvern movement

FE13: Tome Triangle (Fire>Thunder>Wind)

FE14: Not sure, still playing Conquest

Edited by Feldmarschall Rommel

FE3: Add back in cut chapters and characters for Book 1/ bring back Axe Wielders in Book 2

FE4: Haven't played

FE5: Also haven't played

FE6: Fix Weapons to FE7 stats/give Nomads Beast effectiveness

FE7: Fix calcs to FE6 standard (effectiveness x3)

FE8: +5% growths to enemies

FE9: Add Maniac mode while keeping Easy

FE10: Haven't played, but probably add Dark Mage

FE11: remove gaiden requirements

FE12: Fix Wyvern movement

FE13: Tome Triangle (Fire>Thunder>Wind)

FE14: Not sure, still playing Conquest

I haven't played conquest...is it good?