Favorite to least favorite FEs?

Sequitur

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorites go something like this, although I will say I only find 1 particular FE all around terribly designed though and its at the very bottom of my list. The other differences in terms of how much I like a particular group of FE's will be shown by some spaces

1. FE6
2. FE9
3. FE4
4. FE5

5. FE10

6. FE7

7. FE14 - Conquest
8. FE14 - Birthright

9. FE3
10. FE8
11. FE12
12. FE11

13. FE13
14. FE2
15. FE1

16. FE14 Revelations

Edited by Jedi

1. FE4 > 2. FE8 > 3. Conquest >>> 4. FE5 > 5. FE7 > 6. FE3 >>> 7. FE2 > 8. FE11 > 9. FE6 >>> 10. FE9 > 11. Birthright > 12. FE10 > 13. FE1 >>>>>>>>>> 14. FE13 > 15. FE12 > 16. Revelation

Edited by Refa

Map designs are bad, many maps either rely on gimmicks that don't work out or are worse copies of maps present in Conquest/Birthright. 80% of the units, if not more, are absolutely horrible for the moment you get them, while the Royals with prfs/Camilla are ridiculously good, so unit balance is awful. That said, I don't actively dislike it, I just find it poorly designed.

Edited by Gradivus.

FE4 > FE9 > FE5 > FE8 > FE3 > FE6 > FE7 > FE11 = FE13 > FE1 > FE12 > FE2 > FE10

Haven't played farts so I don't really have an opinion on it other than I don't like the looks of it.

Conquest > Blazing Sword > Shadow Dragon > Sacred Stones > Genealogy of the Holy War > Awakening > Path of Radiance > Sword of Seals > Birthright > New Mystery of the Emblem > Revelation >>>>>> Radiant Dawn

1. Conquest

Amazing maps and nice gameplay. I really love how it plays and how fast the engine is

2. Blazing Sword

Amazing map design. I really like how the characters stats are and its lack of stats inflation. A fantastic game that I love replaying.

3. Shadow Dragon

I absolutely love its simplicity. Also has nice map designs. Presence of many useless characters is a bummer, but it's still a great game imo.

4. Sacred Stones

A bit too easy, but I like the map design, and i find it fun to play. That's it.

5. Genealogy of the Holy War

Only Fire Emblem game whose story I really like. I love its atmosphere and it's really fun to break. That said, it's also too easy and the huge maps may get a bit tiring.

6. Awakening

Very broken game, but it's fun. Map design is terrible, though. It's fast engine is a point in its favor, and a pretty big one. I replayed it a lot. It's very easy, though, with the exception of Lunatic+, that is IMO just stupid.

7. Path of Radiance

Very basic game. It's fun to play and the map design is decent. Sadly it's uterly easy even on maniac and is also SLOW AS FUCK. If it wasn't sooooooooooooooooo slow it'd be above awakening and maybe Holy War.

8. Sword of Seals

It's challenging, which is a plus, and I can have fun with it, but it's maps aren't that great IMO, and the hit rates are annoying.

9. Birthright

Awakening with better maps and gameplay, but without the soul. It's kind of fun but a bit boring.

10. New Mystery of the Emblem

I love how challenging this game is, being IMO the hardest in the series on Lunatic. Sadly, I don't like the map designs and just don't find it that fun to play. Oh, and I hate Chris and Katarina.

11. Revelation

This game is weird. The map design is bad IMO and it's very unbalanced. It's still okay, though. Oh, and reused maps are a bummer.

12. Radiant Dawn

OH BOY. I find this one just terrible. Like, the dawn brigade maps are fun and challenging (with some exceptions. One Survives is atrocious), but for me the rest of it is just unsalvageable. To start with, I dislike its concept. Changing teams isn't what I want in a fire emblem game, specially when some of them have such low availability. Then you have the extreme tedious and long enemy and allied units phases, that manage to be huge even with (map) animations turned off. Seriously, some of the bigger ones are enough to make me snooze. Then you have the map design, which in some chapters are so terrible they're capable of making the worst in Awakening look good. It has what is in my opinion the worst disgrace of a map to ever be featured on Fire Emblem, Geoffrey's Charge, that manages to be extremely easy, but also long and tedious, including the already mentioned long enemy and allied unit phases, a myriad of weak enemies that offer no threat to you and that must be avoided in order to get the best bonuses. Even the chapters that are often praised in this game aren't good IMO. Like, Elincia's gambit is often showed as an "example" of good defense map, but it's barely one, being EASILY beaten in like 2 turn by defeating the boss, and From Pain Awakening is literally like every late game Awakening map; a bunch of enemies spread through an open field map that you must kill and nothing else. It's so Awakening it even has that on its name, but without the fast engine. Then you have the boring part 4 and endgame maps.

Edited by Nobody

I take back having previously listed Fates as a whole as number 5.... well, because that isn't entirely true. Birthright and Conquest have things in it I can enjoy. Birthright has some good maps and Conquest has some bad ones (in a row!), but both games are enjoyable. Although I think Conquest is funner to play because it is harder, but if I want to enjoy Fates and have more of a causal playthrough, then I would play Birthright.

Aside from 3 things, I don't like Revelation. It has more gimmicky map design than Conquest, no challenge, no unit balance, and chapter that is snow plowing and almost every enemy gives a droppable item (wtf??? Free shit is nice, but not that much free stuff), and a story that does 3 things in my opinion: 1. Had potential, but falls flat. 2. Gives Conquest's story the finger almost instantly. And 3. The whole "I must see the good in everyone! Especially the evil people :)" is so god-awful cheesey AND stupid that I miss Conquest!Corrin's stupid ass. This game is a mess, and I don't find many things about it remarkable or that I can't get from the other routes aside from supports with Hoshidans to Nohrians.

But hey, the final boss fight was pretty cool. One of the closest things to a compliment that I will give.

So updated version,

14 Conquest

14 Birthright

12=11 (interchangeable)

14 Revelation

1. Genealogy of the Holy War: This isn't just my favorite Fire Emblem game. It is my favorite VIDEO GAME period. The variability in the game makes it playable time and time again. The storyline is Fire Emblem's darkest; the villains are Fire Emblem's best. While it has some flaws (Horse Emblem being one) it's still in a class of its own.

2. Path of Radiance: Fantastic storyline (too bad its sequel didn't follow), the new mechanics (minus lolaguz) are interesting and make the game worth playing. Also arguably has some of the most balanced units.

3. Mystery of the Emblem: How Marth's storyline should have been.

4. The Sacred Stones: Branched promotions and postgame make this a great repeat play. While this game has poor balance in its playable cast, it is still good on multiple runs.

5. Blazing Sword: Mostly nostalgia here, but FE7 still holds up 13 years later. While it's not the best storyline after a while, and Lyn is a waste of a main character, but it's still a good game to play.

6. Thracia 776: I have never actually finished this game. But what I have played is fantastic, although some of the mechanics (looking at you fatigue) are questionable.

7. Sword of Seals: The most epic Fire Emblem in terms of scale. I don't hate Sword of Seals but I don't love it, especially when it suffers from balance problems, an awful main character, and the gaiden chapters are just abysmal.

8. Radiant Dawn: So much wrong with this game I can't. No need to repeat what's already been said.

9. Heroes of Light and Shadow: I just abhor the storyline, and sacrificing the great character arc of Marth for the awful lack thereof for My Unit is just irredeemable.

I have not played the others, so they are not on the list.

1- FE4 (Literally my 3rd favorite game, period! Amazing story, music and a very engaging and awesome combat system with lots of cool skills, without forgetting the 2nd generation! I am a literal fanboy of this game, especially with the new translation!)

2- FE7 (My very first game I played in the series, and its very, VERY good. Good story with some awesome characters, great graphics and music, and one of the most accessible games in the franchise, which is a plus in this case.)

3- FE8 (A very good sequel to FE7. (slightly) Improved graphics, better music and tons of cool, new features (branching promotions, new classes, world map, etc.), although the story is weaker than FE7)

4- FE14 (All three versions have a very satisfying combat system and some cool game mechanics and skills, along with some great music! I also *gasp* don't really mind the story. The graphics still aren't great sadly, but whatever, it's the 3DS. Also, Birthright>Revelation>Conquest.)

5- FE13 (Another great entry points in the series. The music, graphics and story may be weaker - and the game also being too easy - but it's still a very enjoyable FE title with one of my favorite Lords in the series!)

6- FE3 (Two games in one, both featuring Marth! Haven't finished it yet, but it's still very fun - if a bit unoriginal - despite being still a bit clunky)

7- FE2 (Yes, I LIKE Gaiden! It has a lot of interesting choices, like grinding, a world map, the villager class and more, without forgetting the ass-kicking music! Too bad it's very slow and clunky, but I still like it a lot, and its a shamefully underrated game!

8- FE1 (It may be last on the list, but I still like it. Despite being slow and very archaic, it has a strange, satisfying feeling while playing it, which is cool! However, there is NO stat which prevents enemy criticals, which leads to way too many frustrating resets. This makes the game a chore without savestates. But with them, you can still have a fun time!)

Haven't played any of the others, so...

7 (also second favorite game of all time) >>> 9 > 14 (conquest) > 4 > 10 = 6 >>> 8 >>>>> 12 > 14(revelations) > 14 (birthright) > 13 >>>>>>>> 11 (I really dislike shadow dragon)

I have yet to play 1-3 and 5.

Edited by Locke087

mine are

1. FE4 : I find it's story more serious and I consider it the best. I love it's art too. Repairing weapons rather than buying them repeatedly and no need for some special promotion items that prevents you to make all units promoted. Also the arena has a limit , which is good for no arena abuse. Characters are cool , too.

2.Sacred Stones: I love the story. You don't get that much characters to be taking care of , Seth isn't a useless jeigan (more like oifey, right?). Characters are easy to get attached to. The game can be easy , especially with skirmishes that are practically just levels for lower level units to level up in.Wish you got money through skirmishes tho. Also , Promotion branches. yay! even tho there are only two options to choose from

3. FE7: I like it. I haven't completed it so I can't really judge much , but the characters are totally awesome. Lyn's story does get tedious tho.

4: FE3: I love the character art. That's pretty much it.

5.Shadow Dragon: Also am currently playing through so I can't really judge. One thing I was hoping was for the option to dismount to come back , but alas. Character Art in this one isn't one of my favourites , but it's not really bad. I was also hoping Julian's battle sprite to be unique , like in FE3 , but oh well. At least thieves look cool.

this is also pretty much the only Fire Emblem's I've played.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

Of what I've played to completion

Binding Blade- My favorite, obviously. Aside from having a bunch of my favorite characters, I really enjoy the map design and prefer simple gameplay mechanics. It has its flaws, like Roy's absurdly late promotion, slow supports (and the support point limit/map), and overall really bad unit balance, but I still love it despite that.

Really like

Blazing Blade- Second favorite. Fixes a lot of FE6's flaws, like removing the support point limit, though I consider the maps a step down from 6, so here it goes. Also my favorite game story-wise.

Sacred Stones- This game was (really) easy, but it did a lot of things very well. The main cast is among the strongest in the series character-wise, both Eirika and Ephraim coming to terms with the fact they can't leave everything they suck at to the other, and an amazing cast of villains to go with. The Ruins provided a bunch of interesting maps to traverse through post game. Eirika is my third favorite lord overall.

Radiant Dawn- First FE bias, and I'm one of those people that likes Micaiah. Actually she's tied with Roy for my favorite lord, it's a pity she gets tossed aside by the narrative. Anyway, the game has excellent map design, even if it's rather unbalanced overall.

It's okay

Path of Radiance- Like Shadow Dragon below, I find it pretty average, though without the dumb mechanics that Shadow Dragon had.

Shadow Dragon- It didn't do anything really well, but it didn't do anything too horribly aside from giving you a bunch of crap units and dumb Gaiden requirements. The maps are okay enough.

Kill it with fire

Awakening- I. HATE. THIS. GAME. The difficulties are awfully balanced, with way too large of a jump from Hard to Lunatic and Lunatic+ being even more of a luck-based mission than every other game in the series. The cast is a bore save for a few. Robin is a terrible and shameless spotlight stealing Mary-Sue, and Chrom has as much personality as the rock in my backyard. The maps are largely just open expanses with nothing in them. The plot is full of holes and was terribly rushed. Pair up was stupid and broken. I could rant about this for a while... It did some things right though, namely making Dragonstones buyable after FE12 dabbled in it.

Edited by Toyosatomimi no Miko

Top:

Binding Blade: It's like FE7 but harder, with a story more basic and with a better map design, also has some of my favorite characters in the whole franchise (like the chick yo see in my avatar)

Radiant Dawn: I know, Radiant Dawn is probably a rushed game that failed in several areas, but in the other areas is actually great, and personally I found it funnier that PoR. The story also has its flaws but overall I think it works well in my opinion.

High:

Sacred Stones: Shorter than Blazing Sword but otherwise a complete improvement in the games mechanics and the map design.

Holy War: This game is really cool even with unbalanced it is... The plot is amazing.

Blazing Sword: Its my least favorite of the GBA Games, but still a really fun game... I should play it again someday.

Okay:

Path of Radiance: I don't know why I don't like this game more.

Birthright: I found it more balanced that Awakening, and overall funnier.

Awakening: Awakening it's a... pure madness or you're extremely OP or your enemy is extremely OP XDU

Gaiden: Classical Example of a really crazy experiment that doesn't have the proper tools to be developed properly

Radiant Dawn- First FE bias, and I'm one of those people that likes Micaiah. Actually she's tied with Roy for my favorite lord, it's a pity she gets tossed aside by the narrative. Anyway, the game has excellent map design, even if it's rather unbalanced overall.

Oh cool! Another Micaiah/Roy fan here! Hi :D :Roy:

Edited by Troykv

FE14CQ > FE12 > FE9 > FE14BR > FE13 > FE6 > FE7 > FE10 > FE8 > FE11 > FE5 > FE14RV > FE3 > FE1 >>> FE2 >>>>> FE4

I only dislike the bottom 2 FE games i listed. Some games in the middle of the list may be interchangeable.

Edited by Peppy

The Bee's Tits:

Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword. This one has my favorite character, lord, and maps. I just...i just love this game. I find Hector's story to be kind of cool. Mostly the personal aspect of it. The plot of the game itself is kinda subpar, but Hector's struggle to grow and him learning the truth about his brother is the best. I just love how theres a ton of objectives to get hidden chapters and stuff.

Path of Radiance: This game is just fun. Its got one of the most solid narratives in an FE that ive played all the way through, too. And Soren exists. Tellius is just great, but i love how this game gave us the base system and brought skills back. Sure, its kind of an easy game, but the fun never dies. The characters! Ugnnnnghh they are just so good. Naesala for life!

Pretty Damn Fun:

Sacred Stones. Its just fun and a solid game all around really. Kinda easy but ehh, i dont really care.

Awakening: Story sucks, but the gameplay is pretty damn sweet. Plus i dig a lot of the characters. Ive dumped a lot of free hours into this one and dont regret it. Its been a good while since ive played it though.

Fates Conquest: Aww yiss. Gameplay wise, this game is just B O M B. If its story were better, it would be in the Bee's Tits tier. I love the gameplay, the maps, the characters, the classes, everything. I just dont love the story like at all. Theres really not any shining moments where i can feel kinda immersed. Oh well, doesnt stop the fun since the start button exists.

Radiant Dawn. I do like the narrative when its not being whacky, but i cant play this game without playing PoR first. Unlike other games in the series, this one doesnt stand alone. At least not for me. Thats kind of a drawback when it comes to replaying. But this is a great game and does deserve to be up there in my favorites list. I had a lot of fun with it and i do love playing the easier mode(s) to get all the narrative goodies. I NEED that kernel about Soren in the epilogue to even feel satisfied during a playthrough. Plus this one has some of the B E S T maps around. Elincia's Gambit is one of them.

Really Just Ok Tier:

The Other Fates Games. Revelations only comes before BR because of the cast party tbh. These have the same gameplay as Conquest, but not as good maps. And somehow the narrative in parts of these others are just worse than Conquest. How do you even do that? The exception being the latter act of Birthright, which is the part of that story i enjoyed the most. Honestly, if BR and/or Rev had the kinds of maps/objectives as Conquest, they'd be hella higher up.

The Binding Blade: This game is frustrating for me because i never got the good ending. Yeah i said it. :| lol Oh well. But i did have some fun with it and some of the characters were cool. I just dont replay this one much. Bartre tho.

Yeah No:

Shadow Dragon. I had like zero fun playing this one. It may not be a SHIT game, but i dont find it a good FE game. I dunno. I just...nah mang. SD fans, you just have at it.

I havent played the rest (enough) to make a call.

1. FE10 (best gameplay and ost)

2. FE4 (imo, best story in the series)

3. Fates: Conquest (second best gameplay and ost, right before FE10, and it'd probably win on the overall score if it weren't for some map gimmicks and its worse story)

4. FE9 (second best story in the series, the character rooster is the most interesting of the games on the list. Fourth best ost)

5. FE7 (overall ok at every area)

[5-Gaiden*. Fates: Birthright (some maps are bland and makes you want to finish them as soon as you can, meh story, good gameplay and character rooster, enjoyable ost especially near the end, where it plays some of my favorite tunes)]

6. FE12 (third best gameplay, if only because you can pick a difficulty that perfectly matches your FE skill, thus every playthrough is going to be satisfying, challenging and fun)

7. FE13 (I wasn't sure if it came after or before FE12. On any case, its gameplay is ok but broken by the time mid game arrives, it has the third best ost, the maps are ok or bland, its story is horrible and the character rooster is a hit-or-miss, on my case leaning more toward miss)

8. FE6 (it's like FE7 but slightly worse)

9. FE8 (good gameplay, but its ridiculous difficulty and bad character rooster bore me and makes me avoid the game)

[9-Gaiden. Fates: Revelations (horrible maps, badly balanced, some gimmicks are worse than Conquest's)]

10. FE11 (has no redeeming qualities, imo, except for maybe the difficulties and reclassing, but I could just play FE12 instead, so off to the bench with you. I also don't care about the "it's an old game, give it a break for its bad story, maps and characters" excuse because FE4 and FE5 manage to be decent games that still compete with the newest entries, despite being old).

*versions that can be considered as standalone games, thus they exist on alternate universes inside brackets. They have nothing to do with Gaiden, I swear.

Edited by Rapier

I feel like a mere mortal since I've only played 5 FE games(I don't count the Fates paths as separate games), but anyways.

Gold Tier

Sacred Stones:

I really like this game and I consider it one of my favorites of all of the GBA games, as well as my favorite FE of all time(although Fates is my addiction now). I like the small roster of units with different growths to fit your taste. It makes the game feel more balanced in that aspect, and almost all of them are pretty interesting and fun. The reclass branching and the Trainees were also nice. I like how you can get pretty much any weapon as the game progresses to a certain extent. The villains were cool, and the story was interesting, though not really amazing. Although the game had easy grinding, the way it was handled made it the best system for grinding, imo. Only certain maps could be used on the world map, and a Tower area that functioned like a gym that opened different floors while the game progressed. It's easy, I know, but I've had the most fun with it and I can consider it one of my favorite GBA games ever, as well as my favorite FE game ever.

Sliver Tier

Fates(Conquest>Birthright>Revelations in that order):

Fates actually feels more like an RPG than any of the FEs that I played due to all the freedom that you have for how you wanna play, and I can respect it for that. The variety alone is just the tip of the Iceberg as to how much I like this game. Sooo many good character ideas and designs, sooo many fun chapters from the main campaign and on the side, sooo many fun mechanics, sooo many changes for the better. I'm not gonna touch on story since it's such a dead horse that it's no longer a solid entity but minerals used for make the Earth's soil slightly more rich, but the flaws with each are kinda major. There's some huge balancing issues with weapons, the forging system is tedious, Dark Mages only have one dark tome, etc. Other than that, I'd definitely consider it my favorite of the FE 3DS games.

Blazing Sword:

Really do like this game. Fun chapters, good characters, Lords with the best GBA FE animations ever, and fairly lenient with the difficulty. I honestly thought that this was gonna be favorite FE game, but some stuff started to bother me. There's kinda too many units, some not being terrible, but only a select few being utterly broken. The villains were meh for the most part. The story is one of the most uninteresting to me and had a few VERY dumb moments(the reason for Ninian's revival... sigh). The worse thing for me design wise was the Ranking System. It's a good idea, but I don't really feel accomplished for getting a good rank and just getting a pat on the back when the game's over. And the ranking are so weird with how they work. Other than that, pretty good game, but not really the best for me, imo.

Bronze Tier

Awakening:

It's my first FE game, but I don't think I'm ever going back to it. I liked it because, like Fates, it had an RPG feel to it due its freedom on how you wanted to play. Some pretty fun characters too. The sudden spike in difficulty from piss poor easy hard mode, to RNG gambling lunatic modes was a huge turn off for me, but that's not the reason that I might not ever go back to it. Fates came out it looks sooo much better, and I think that the game may feel worse if I play it again due to aging, but I can't borderline hate it since it was my first entry into the series.

Nope Tier

Binding Blade:

I'm gonna go back and play this and my mind may change, but Binding Blade is my least favorite of all the FEs that I've played. Waaaay too many units with very odd stat growths(glares at Lilina with bloodshot eyes) and are borderline useless(you poor armor knights), odd map design that ranges from too big to too cramped(after hearing about and seeing the desert map with FOG and a huge ass amount of reinforcements I actually stopped playing), no true balance, thieves are even a bigger novelty than Blazing Sword(haven't played the other games on the SNES/NES, so this may be a blank argument), characters are meh for the most part, possibly the weakest when it comes to the FE cast, one mission goal for every chapter, and some other stuff that I may have forgotten. Although, there are a few things that like, like Roy being the first shipping lord, having 6 girls to choose from :3, and Roy is pretty decent lord playstyle, only really being hindered by his 50/50 growths and promotion at the end of the game. Actually gonna play this again tonight with a new save file again, so 'Nope' may just be 'Meh'.

units with very odd stat growths(glares at Lilina with bloodshot eyes

Out of simple curiosity, why was Lilina your example? Her growths aren't that strange, especially compared to say, Meg (FE10) who growth-wise is more like a Peg Knight than the Armor she is, or Ronan (FE5), who's an Archer with a 55% Magic Growth/15% Str growth. Edited by Glaceon Mage