[Interview Source found] What could have been Pokemon x FE

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2016/07/28/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-from-fe-x-pokemon-to-fe-x-smt-interview-snippet/

So, after some digging around the Japanese side of the internet, I could never find out the idea that an official statement was released that Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE was originally an attempt at a Pokemon crossover failed because Pokemon Conquest already existed.

While the notion seemed solid and I don't actually question the logic of the statement, evidence is necessary.

And since my resources weren't cut out for the job, I asked around for some help.

Major thanks to ObsidianWasp and Kantopia... the latter being better known in this forum as Kirokan.

ObsidianWasp tracked down the issue where it was cited on the Japanese Wikipedia page.

Kirokan reached out and it turns out a fan of their translations was able to get scans of the December 2012 Nintendo Dream Issue.

...it seems it wasn't in the magazine itself, but in a snippet of a booklet that came with it.

Special thanks to Nohrian peach for it!

yKdA7Ka.jpg

Here is the relevant page.

Yamagami (Nintendo Producer): 5 years ago, Ms. Andou proposed a plan [for a crossover], saying You know, I think FE and Pokemons rules are pretty compatible! Though I agreed with her, by chance the Pokemon group had already proposed what eventually became Pokemon Conquest at the same time [so we were unable to follow through].

Andou (Nintendo Director): Yes, which I was in charge of too.

Yamagami (Nintendo Producer): As the plan was a secret, she was put in charge of that first. (Laughs). And then, it took her less than a week to say, Heres the next plan. The new plan was a collaboration with Atlus. At that time, new games like Xenoblade and Pandoras Tower were coming out, and, because I myself was quite interested in Atluss games, I figured This could work! At first, we made informal plans within our own small group, but

So we do finally have an official source on this, thanks to some dedicated fans.

I think they didn't want to saturate people with this kind of pokemon game; because imo, Pokemon Conquest and Pokemon x FE released at the same time (or so) wouldn't be a smart move. They just did TMS #FE as a way to materialize the concept they originally had. Perhaps the delays of the game were to make the game more successful at these times than earlier times.

I still think the concept is possible, they probably are secretly working on it while we discuss about it. Who knows?

Hehe, that's cute. I kind of see where they're coming from with Pokemon and FE having similar-ish rules. Like how both have their hidden values for determining character growth. Also the battles in both games are fairly deterministic.

Also mad props for the dedication and detective skills ^^

I kinda hope this happens one day. It seems the only reason it got rejected was because a similar game (Pokemon Conquest) was being made at the time, but in the end it looks like something they'd want to eventually develop.

We'll see.

Well, if FE x Pokemon does happen, Ike needs to get a Braviary! They both fight for their friends! Seriously, one of Braviary's Pokedex entries literally says it fights for its friends. lol

You forget, that's English only.

Huh? What is? And so what? The whole "fight for my friends" thing has become pretty famous anyway.

Also, I think both Ike and Arthur are very Americanish.

Edited by Anacybele

When I read Pokemon x FE, Pokemon Conquest immediately came to mind. I never played the game, but the concept sounds close to what I imagine when I think Pokemon x FE from what I've heard of Conquest. Still curious about what they would do for a Pokemon x FE game, I can absolutely see why they thought both series would be a good match, but I can't really imagine what it would look like.

I hope they'll keep trying to expand the FE IP with different projects like this, #FE, Cipher, etc...

Good investigation work, I remember having already seen this interview, but I didn't pay much attention at the time...

Edited by Avk

Huh? What is? And so what? The whole "fight for my friends" thing has become pretty famous anyway.

Also, I think both Ike and Arthur are very Americanish.

Yeah, I think Ike's infamous phrase is only in the English version. It's nice and all, but it's not going to be a major deciding factor for a Japanese games company ^^;;;

Is Ike's Japanese SSB actor as bored-sounding as his English one? I dunno if whatever he says instead could be as infamous if he wasn't.

(No offense to fans of Ike's English voice)

Either way, I sometimes wonder what a FE-Touhoumon type thing would be like. But eh, it'd be rather odd since it would involve catching puppets of FE characters in little balls.

For a SRPG, it'd probably wind up being like Pokémon Conquest/the Nobunaga's Ambition crossover. FE characters pair off with specific Pokémon and command them in battles, having a species they have high compatibility with.

Or Cheren with tomes. That's cool too.

Thanks to shadowofchaos for bringing it to my attention. Looking for sources like that is fun, and is a stark reminder that when it comes to FE info, stuff is still relatively niche... xD

Edited by Kirokan

Yeah, I think Ike's infamous phrase is only in the English version. It's nice and all, but it's not going to be a major deciding factor for a Japanese games company ^^;;;

Oh, that. I figured, but it's still a pretty famous phrase these days. It's still possible that it'll be taken into consideration, at least.

Oh, that. I figured, but it's still a pretty famous phrase these days. It's still possible that it'll be taken into consideration, at least.

You're stretching its importance quite a bit.

It's an English meme.

Unless you're in the smash community, and even then... Japanese people are largely unaware of it.

Edited by shadowofchaos