Hardest Monotype Run per Gen?

Jedi

I don't think Gen 3 Rock really works? The first rock type you get is Aron, after the first gym, and Aron gets wrecked too hard by Brawly for it to be realistic unless you grind a ridiculous amount. You don't get Geodude/Nosepass until Rock Smash, after the third gym.

I would suggest Gen 3 BUG; you get a bunch early on with the Wurmple evos and potentially Surskit if you get lucky, and keep getting semi-interesting reinforcements like Nincada, Volbeat/Illumise, Anorith, and even Pinsir/Heracross.

By the way, what's your stance on using pokemon that evolve in to your monotype? I think Poison could also be interesting if you allow Wurmple until it evolves into Dustox. You would have serious problems with Roxanne with either of these though.

I honestly hadn't thought that much about it yet ^^; I was basically getting ideas for when I start doing them. I'll have to start thinking about it a bit if I want some clearer guidelines I guess.

Also I'd have to double check the stuff in Gen 3.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ice in gen 3 ice is already a frail type but you dont get them till the shoal cave and you have almost no options. just snorunt, seel, and spheal iirc

ice in gen 3 ice is already a frail type but you dont get them till the shoal cave and you have almost no options. just snorunt, seel, and spheal iirc

I'd really love to do an Ice mono of any game really (its one of my favorite types) but the lateness you get them most of the time is pretty damning for wanting to do a run based on solely using them.

I'd really love to do an Ice mono of any game really (its one of my favorite types) but the lateness you get them most of the time is pretty damning for wanting to do a run based on solely using them.

While I do agree with that Ice types only appearing late game is incredibly infuriating, I don't think an Ice Mono would be too hard.

Sure, Ice is terrible defensively, it's very strong offensively. It's super effective against many common and strong Pokemon.

While I do agree with that Ice types only appearing late game is incredibly infuriating, I don't think an Ice Mono would be too hard.

Sure, Ice is terrible defensively, it's very strong offensively. It's super effective against many common and strong Pokemon.

It probably would not be that hard, but it'd be nice to be able to do it.

It probably would not be that hard, but it'd be nice to be able to do it.

True, Ice really deserves more spotlight.

This Ice mono got me thinking actually, and if I were to make an Ice mono team it would be...

Abomasnow, Mamoswine, Froslass, Jynx, Weavile and Cloyster.

This is actually a pretty good team now that I think about.

Maybe I'll try it online someday,

Sorry, I know this is a bit off-topic, but it something intersting that came to mind and I wanted to share.

Edited by Water Mage

Oh.. That. I was thinking about the Volcarona in Relic Castle, but maybe I'm thinking about the wrong game.

You are thinking about the right game, but you can't get to that part of relic castle until postgame (IT's covered by sand). It makes an exelent postgame mon, though.

The only monotype i have done is normal in white version. It was actualy easier than a standard runthrough, because 2 of your party members are in the "fast" exp group, and there are only 5 viable party members for most of the run, so you end up overleveled. the 5 party members each have a different niche. Lilipup is the strong wall with coverage options, Pidove is the flying type STAB/def debuffer, Auduino is the special attacker, Mincinio is the tecnicion abuser, and deerling Is the Grass STAB/HP drainer. It's a fun run, and i recomend it. Notably, it makes genesis's hydragion really easy because mincinio can spam wake up slap. Hydragion is one of those pokemon that is really hard unless you have a dedicated counter, in which case, it is really easy (see also, stephen's metagross).

Edited by sirmola

But the Gastly line can take care of her. Especially if you can evolve it into Gengar.

Unfortunately, Psychic is immune to Ghost in Gen 1, and even if it wasn't, the few Ghost moves available in Gen 1 are a fixed damage attack, a status attack, and one that'd do pathetic damage even if it was doubled.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Hmmm would Dark be an underdog in gen 5? It's been ages since I played my Black 1/2 files so I don't recall honestly.

True, Ice really deserves more spotlight.
This Ice mono got me thinking actually, and if I were to make an Ice mono team it would be...
Abomasnow, Mamoswine, Froslass, Jynx, Weavile and Cloyster.
This is actually a pretty good team now that I think about.
Maybe I'll try it online someday,
Sorry, I know this is a bit off-topic, but it something intersting that came to mind and I wanted to share.

That team actually sounds pretty fun haha.

Hmmm would Dark be an underdog in gen 5? It's been ages since I played my Black 1/2 files so I don't recall honestly.

I doubt it, largely because of Scafty and Krookodile.

Oh.. That. I was thinking about the Volcarona in Relic Castle, but maybe I'm thinking about the wrong game.

It was Post game in BW1 for an L70 Volcarona

BW2 Volc was the one where you can get L35 Volc pretty early

"Hmmm would Dark be an underdog in gen 5? It's been ages since I played my Black 1/2 files so I don't recall honestly."

Didn't think so, i don't remember the entire pokemon pool but mid game gave you Scrafty who is considered the gods of BW alongside The Trade Quiver Dance Grass type, Darmanitan and Archeops. Although its probably not too variative since the 3 dark type i can think off, 2 of them are right before Victory Road

Edited by JSND

Didn't think so, i don't remember the entire pokemon pool but mid game gave you Scrafty who is considered the gods of BW alongside The Trade Quiver Dance Grass type, Darmanitan and Archeops

Right Scrafty. My bad on that.

It was Post game in BW1 for an L70 Volcarona

BW2 Volc was the one where you can get L35 Volc pretty early

"Hmmm would Dark be an underdog in gen 5? It's been ages since I played my Black 1/2 files so I don't recall honestly."

Didn't think so, i don't remember the entire pokemon pool but mid game gave you Scrafty who is considered the gods of BW alongside The Trade Quiver Dance Grass type, Darmanitan and Archeops. Although its probably not too variative since the 3 dark type i can think off, 2 of them are right before Victory Road

So I DID have the wrong game in mind. Not that the level 35 Volcarona would be very practical anyway...

Tbf, I'd imagine Scraggy, Sandile and their respective evolutions carrying a mono-Dark team in BW - the other dark types either aren't that great (Purrloin), come late (Pawniard, Deino), or evolve late (the aforementioned Pawniard and Deino). Unfortunately, you'd have to get past Lenora with a Purrloin alone.... which I really don't see happening.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Poison in Gen VI is a really good one, as Beedrill can probably sweep Viola, you get both Oddish and Bulbasaur before Grant, and you get both Nidoran lines before Korrina, not to mention that, besides Exeggutor, Ramos will be rather easy. Skrelp comes after Surf, netting you a powerful Dragon type for endgame.

Poison in gen1 sounds easy to me. Unless you made a rule about no nidoking. Even on a team of 6 it would probbably be able to outspeed Red sabrina and just one shot her whole team with physical attacks as weak as body slam. Although it might not be fast enough to do so for the yellow verson of her team. Even if you didn't show him favoritism, you'd still be able to powder stuff to death with venasaur/vileplume, wrap stuff to death with victory bell, use nidoqueen for varied elemental tm access, a fast pokemon with high special in tentacruel, and the so-so offenses of a thunderbolt/psychic/explosion.haunter, and beedrill who learns the almighty rage without needing a trip to fuschia city. . Either nido also can leer/tail whip + thrash/body slam at extremely low level, meaning their mono even works for itemless challenges. Having four of your pokemon before the 3rd gym is pretty incredible on its own...

Bug in gen1 is very boring if done glitchless. Butterfree just confusions everything with occasional sleep powders if they can hurt you bac k and adds in giga/psychic after the 4th gym. I like to run with x-accuracy pinsir guilotine after he's avaiable just to help keep me awake. Of course his ability to just go ham on stuff with normal attacks like body slam is pretty high if you do it casually given his stats, I'd argue mono bug is far less painful than an electric mono, which is totally grinding/item spam dependent until zapdos. Refer to two pikachu's versus brock.. Thankfully you get seismic toss/ X-attack/ toxic for later such encounters...

Overall I'd say since ghost/dragon/ice aren't really possible given the routes you catch mons on in gen1, electric followed by fighting would be the "hardest". As a side note flying mono is surprisingly annoying in gen1 and rock/ground are almost as easy to do as water/normal. It's a really weird game.

Edited by Reality

gen 3 Fire or Ghost seems bad tbh. With Fire you need to face too many water types and if you're playing emerald the champion is no cakewalk.(Blaziken, Magcargo, Camerupt, Nintailes, Torkoal)

Ghost is terrible because you're stuck with a Sableye solo until Lilycove, and even then its just Sableye, Dusclops and Banette.

EDIT: Ofc I guess both types are impossible without a water pokemon since you're force to have one for Surf/Waterfall/Dive but Idk if there's a clause for that.

Edited by Magnificence Incarnate

EDIT: Ofc I guess both types are impossible without a water pokemon since you're force to have one for Surf/Waterfall/Dive but Idk if there's a clause for that.

Catagories like this usualy have a "HM Slaves are OK if they are not used tor battle" rule. Otherwise, most monotypes would have issues. (and some gens, like 5, would require you to walk back and forth through almost the entire game for things like the second nacerne museum event because the devs assumed you have fly. Backtracking like that is a ton of tedium for no good reason.)

Edited by sirmola

Grass Type for Gen V could be fun, since it offers you lots of cool Pokémon later on (Sawsbuck and Ferrothorn mainly. Viridion if you accept Legendaries)

For a B2W2 Challenge Mode, i could be interresting too (You have Sewaddle, Sunkern and Snivy before the first Arena.)

But then you can get tons of goods ones after the third arena.

Poison Type could be fun as well. You only have Venipede before the first gym. but then you get Koffing (for the 2nd Gym), and then Grimer, Zubat, Trubish, Roselia...

Bug Type could be fun too. You have the famous Level 35 Volcarona, Heracross/Pinsir, both Leavanny and Scolipede...

Normal and Flying Type gives you access to Level 25 Braviary in White 2, which is a huge asset.

B2W2 also gives you relatively early access to Eevee, which can be worse considering.

A full dragon Type could works, even if you don't have access to most before quite late (the first one you get is Trapinch who isn't even Dragon Type at this point...)

ORAS also can have a full Dragon type, if you bend the rules a little (since it involves mega Swampert.)

Most of your Dragon Type aren't Dragon Type when you get them (Trapinch, Swablu), and they're obtained late, but well...

You also have Lati@s in your team, so it may not be as interresting.

^Erm, yeah, I highly doubt the level 35 Volcarona would be all that practical...

Anyway, anyone have a clue as to which type has it the worst in Gen 5? I've been thinking Psychic, as well as maybe Dark and Fighting.

^Erm, yeah, I highly doubt the level 35 Volcarona would be all that practical...

Anyway, anyone have a clue as to which type has it the worst in Gen 5? I've been thinking Psychic, as well as maybe Dark and Fighting.

He has awfull moves for a while, but extremely high stats, which kinda compensate it.

I used it once, but don't remember how well it was (later on, he was really great, though quite frail against physical attackers.).

Fighting have lots of really great Pokémon, including Throw/Sawk, that are quite amazing for a while. and generally Pokemon that hit hard and/or take it well. Not much diversity (except if you include the Legendary for late game.), and a little hard to hit from the Special Side, but I don't think it would be that hard. You have to rely on Tepig alone for the first Gym, but otherwise I don't see it being that much complicated. They can destroy the 2nd Gym in BW, and Timburr learns Rock Throw for the Bug Gym.

Psychic's main difficulty seems to have a complete turn, since unless you consider Darmanitian as a Psychic Type because of Zen mode, having a full team isn't easy. Still, they have lots of coverage option, Psychoc for hitting the Phiysical side, and you can have two Pokémon with Magic Guard including Reuniclus who is just amazing. For Black, it would be a bigger problem...

He has awfull moves for a while, but extremely high stats, which kinda compensate it.

I used it once, but don't remember how well it was (later on, he was really great, though quite frail against physical attackers.).

Fighting have lots of really great Pokémon, including Throw/Sawk, that are quite amazing for a while. and generally Pokemon that hit hard and/or take it well. Not much diversity (except if you include the Legendary for late game.), and a little hard to hit from the Special Side, but I don't think it would be that hard. You have to rely on Tepig alone for the first Gym, but otherwise I don't see it being that much complicated. They can destroy the 2nd Gym in BW, and Timburr learns Rock Throw for the Bug Gym.

Psychic's main difficulty seems to have a complete turn, since unless you consider Darmanitian as a Psychic Type because of Zen mode, having a full team isn't easy. Still, they have lots of coverage option, Psychoc for hitting the Phiysical side, and you can have two Pokémon with Magic Guard including Reuniclus who is just amazing. For Black, it would be a bigger problem...

The problem with Fighting types in BW is that most of them are slow, meaning you often find yourself eating damage, debuffs, and status effects before you can make a move, and ditto for Psychic types (the only fast Fighting types are Sawk and Mienshao, and the latter's unevolved form has a high evolution level). Psychic in particular is boned against Grimsley and Shauntal (have fun eating STAB Shadow Ball from her Chandelure before you can do anything O++O), and Clay to some extent, to say nothing of Burgh and Lenora. Dark... Let's just say you're boned against Marshal and Lenora and leave it at that. Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

• 6 years later...

Gen1= Ghost and Electric [yellow], Gen2=Grass and Pioson, Gen3= Grass [Emerald] fire [Ruby], rock, and ground [Sapphire], Gen4=Fire [Diamond and Pearl] and Steel [Platinum] gen5-gen6=? Not sure, gen7 Sun+ Ultra Sun= Bug, Pokémon Legends: Arceus Ghost, Sword+Shield= Ice and Dragon, Coloseum, Conquest, and XD= ? Not sure, Scarlet and Violet= Bug [Violet], Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee= Electric [LGP] and Eeveelutions only [LGE]