What do you guys really think of the new Ghostbusters?

Lantairu

Yes, the trailer sucked, yes the SJWs all called anyone who said they didn't want to see the movie misogynists, and yes the "fans" would attack anyone who said they might see it, but now that the movie is out and it's all said and done, what did you guys actually think of it? I thought it was just meh. It wasn't very funny, but it wasn't downright offensive like people were saying it was before.

I honestly haven't seen it yet, didn't really catch my interest. I was kind of annoyed with all the drama around it, and how people attacked James Rolfe for his stance on not seeing it.

Probably is ok though, I just don't like everything surrounding it.

I watched it and I enjoyed it. The first movie is still better and although it's a reboot to the original movie, the writing and humor is more in lines with the TV series than the dry humor style of the original movie.

It's an ok to decent film and not something you should really get angry over it. My mother watched the original and saw the movie and she enjoyed it a lot. She was kind of surprised. Granted she's not a fan but as someone who isn't a fan of series, it's just a harmless movie.

Saw it.

The lead 4 were cool.

Thor was the best, too bad he had to play an idiot.

Cameos were unfunny.

Effects were cool.

Villain was forgettable.

All in all, mediocre and not worth the fuzz it generated, as expected.

As someone who isn't really attached to the franchise in general and had no expectations going in, i went to see this with my boyfriend on a date and was pretty entertained. It helps that we're also cracking science jokes in the middle of it. Holtzmann is the best. Definitely doesn't warrant all the hate like, people, chill

Edited by Thor Odinson

As a fan of the OG Ghostbusters, collector of all the films and Real Ghostbusters cartoon, i have an opinion.

And that opinion is that this new movie is pretty goddamn fun. The only cameo that was unfunny, was Bill Murray's. The others (especially Ernie Hudson's) are pretty great. I always wanted to see a bunch of science ladies busting ghosts growing up. It did kinda make me a little ;/ that the Ghostbusters were always dudes. So seeing these gals kick ghost arse was so much fun. This movie's real merit comes from the fact they didnt try to make it exactly like the original film. The characters are completely different and not just gender swapped versions of the original team. Patty is really not like Winston at all. Abby is a bit like Ray, but actually not like Ray. Jillian Holtzmann is...shes her own creature (despite her hair looking like cartoon!Egon's) and shes fabulous. Erin also doesnt have a direct parallel with an original GB character. Kevin is not actually like Janine at all. Hell, Ecto-1 is now a hearse instead of an old ambulance.

Then we have the antagonist.

6a33e5aeb9dbbb645455086cc10f3c76.png

I really dont think theres much to elaborate on here. He is underwhelming, but at the same time, theres a pretty good reason why this guy is the antagonist. Hes a bitter, tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist who feels really entitled. Gee wilikers. Ill just leave that there.

The only slight beef i had, was the effects were a bit too cartoony/CGI. But thats more of a complaint i have with a lot of movies these days. (i miss animatronics so much)

I plan on getting the dvd when its released. I really enjoyed this movie, and the more i think about it, the more i love it.

Here is one thing I will say. Tons of people kept complaining and spread around lies that this is the main theme song of the new movie. When in reality this song was only played for like a 10 to 20 second scene.

When this is the main theme song that was played TWICE in the movie and for a much longer duration and I love this rendition. Just want to get it off my chest because this is one of the few cases where tons of people were misinformed by people who never watched the new movie.

Edited by kingddd

Personally, the 2013 reboot is much better:

this isn't even funny joke. I legitimately like the new rendition and there were constantly people who kept piggybacking away from the new theme and kept pointing to fan remixes and the fallout version was kind of sad.

I was wondering if someone would be brave enough to make this thread.

I think it's kinda eh. Nothing about it was offensively bad (although some parts are a little suspect, in both humour and cringe moments), but it didn't really wow me either and the fact that it's a reboot of an old franchise didn't do it any favours in my book.

this isn't even funny joke. I legitimately like the new rendition and there were constantly people who kept piggybacking away from the new theme and kept pointing to fan remixes and the fallout version was kind of sad.

I wasn't talkng about the theme.

I was talking about the videos, which I posted as joke.

I wasn't talkng about the theme.

I was talking about the videos, which I posted as joke.

sorry about that. I personally find so many jokes like this about the new film I just find it tasteless nowadays.

But meh I ain't no film critic anyway.

The highest I've heard from people that I trust is that it's mediocre at best, others saying very bad. I've really got no interest to see it.

The funny thing is that if the movies idea of 'progressive' is to start out with a queef joke, have all the male characters be idiots and feature a kick in the dick, then I don't know what to think. I would probably be cringing if I actually seen it so I just choose not to go.

The highest I've heard from people that I trust is that it's mediocre at best, others saying very bad. I've really got no interest to see it.

The funny thing is that if the movies idea of 'progressive' is to start out with a queef joke, have all the male characters be idiots and feature a kick in the dick, then I don't know what to think. I would probably be cringing if I actually seen it so I just choose not to go.

See, that's my issue with the movie as well.

The movie itself was meh, but it was sexist. Sexist towards men that is. There's isn't a single male character who isn't an idiot or a jerk.

There's also some shady stuff going behind the scenes, but that's a different subject.

See, that's my issue with the movie as well.

The movie itself was meh, but it was sexist. Sexist towards men that is. There's isn't a single male character who isn't an idiot or a jerk.

There's also some shady stuff going behind the scenes, but that's a different subject.

My favourite part was the one where they hire the Thorcretary more or less because one of them thinks he's hot.

Yeah, I haven't seen the movie, but all four women involved are fairly funny. I'm sure it's a decently good movie.

My favourite part was the one where they hire the Thorcretary more or less because one of them thinks he's hot.

that's good enough criteria to hire a person though

that's good enough criteria to hire a person though

I'm honestly not sure if this is sarcasm or something else.

Anyway, I didn't really find any of it to be egregiously offensive, but it failed the substitution test multiple times. That is to say, 'if this were said/done to someone else/another group, would it still be funny?' and quite frankly, I don't think a female character in any medium getting a job because she has massive breasts would fly in this day and age and the fact that this is coming from a movie that is supposed to be 'progressive' just makes it bitterly ironic.

I really dont think theres much to elaborate on here. He is underwhelming, but at the same time, theres a pretty good reason why this guy is the antagonist. Hes a bitter, tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist who feels really entitled. Gee wilikers. Ill just leave that there.

I actually thought the antagonist was pretty decent in the sense that he was ostracized from society due to his connection with the supernatural. There's sort of an implication that Erin would have ended up much the same way if she didn't have Abby. Erin and Abby's friendship is really kinda the core of the movie IMO.

Erin(who's the only one who displays an attraction to Kevin really) is against hiring him. Abby and Holtzmann are for hiring him because no one else applied.

Overall, I thought it was funny and liked it. Probably not going to go down as one of the greatest movies of all time or anything, but entertaining enough.

Erin(who's the only one who displays an attraction to Kevin really) is against hiring him. Abby and Holtzmann are for hiring him because no one else applied.

Overall, I thought it was funny and liked it. Probably not going to go down as one of the greatest movies of all time or anything, but entertaining enough.

Is that so? I'll trust what you say, since I mainly saw it to spite some of the more vicious internet mobs and didn't pay all that much attention to what was going on.

Anyway, I didn't really find any of it to be egregiously offensive, but it failed the substitution test multiple times. That is to say, 'if this were said/done to someone else/another group, would it still be funny?' and quite frankly, I don't think a female character in any medium getting a job because she has massive breasts would fly in this day and age and the fact that this is coming from a movie that is supposed to be 'progressive' just makes it bitterly ironic.

I don't know if people just put the movie up to be 'progressive' because they saw four female leads taking the place of four male leads previously and assumed it was, but most of what I've heard is pretty much just lowbrow humour and stereotypes. Which is fine, I liked Idiocracy and the original Ghostbusters had this too, but let's not pretend that it's anything more than that.

Edited by Tryhard

I don't know if people just put the movie up to be 'progressive' because they saw four female leads taking the place of four male leads previously and assumed it was, but most of what I've heard is pretty much just lowbrow humour and stereotypes. Which is fine, I liked Idiocracy and the original Ghostbusters had this too, but let's not pretend that it's anything more than that.

Eh, I got a bit of a 'girl power' vibe from the movie. Nothing wrong with that, but some of the other moments make it come across as a bit...eh.