Metroid 2 remake/Federation Force

Mikethfc

I don't know if this would be better suited in Fan projects, as it is technically a re-working of Metroid 2 in a new program with GBA graphics, and an actual map. I never played the original so I can't say how it's different, but I'm guessing the data scans and logbook was added which is a nice touch so far,.

All info about it here, also start the betting for how long it takes Nintendo to offer a C&D

https://metroid2remake.blogspot.co.uk/

I don't think it counts as a ROM since it is them releasing their work in a whole new format to the original, but as it's based off another IP copyright laws might get a bit iffy, so take it down if need be.

Also stuff on Fed Force if anybody's got it yet, I'm waiting another 2 weeks or so to buy it but it would be interesting to see what other people's experience is with it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Federation Force isn't even out yet. Besides, I don't think most Metroid fans will buy it unless it gets rave reviews, because it doesn't look much like a Metroid game aside from SHOOT ALIENS. AMR2 looks good though.

Edited by Zera

AM2R has been around for years and years, and its getting no money made off it, I kinda doubt a C&D will happen at this point, its also really really good. Played all the demos over the years.

AM2R has been around for years and years, and its getting no money made off it, I kinda doubt a C&D will happen at this point, its also really really good. Played all the demos over the years.

Is it complete yet? Last time I checked up on it was 2013 or so. I remember it being really good.

Is it complete yet? Last time I checked up on it was 2013 or so. I remember it being really good.

Full release is now and yeah ^

Edited by Jedi

Downloaded it. Playing it. Man, this is cool! I still have the original cartridge and I've been waiting for someone, Nintendo or otherwise, to remake so I can finally figure out what it is I'm supposed to be doing (internet is overrated). Now I can finally have the patience needed to play this game and have some sense of where I'm going!

In terms of Federation Force, despite what many people are saying about, I can't wait to play it when it comes out at the end of August. Me and my brothers will be playing it for a while (and then shove it off to the side for a bit like we do with every other game). Sure, I agree that it doesn't exactly "feel" like a Metroid title, but then again, neither did Metroid Prime Pinball. Or Mario Strikers. Or Link's Crossbow Training.

I cannot wait to play this game and while everyone else is hating on it, I'm going to be one guy who's enjoying it.

I'm not looking forward to fed force that much based on what I've seen, but I'm definitely willing to give it a chance. I'll take a closer look when it comes out.

Will probably try out metroid 2 since I didn't play the original.

Edited by HELP

Yeah, pretty sure Nintendo's policy is to not bust out the C&D's unless money is changing hands somehow. Also yeah, looks really good! Wish I could say the same about Fed Force...

EDIT

In terms of Federation Force, despite what many people are saying about, I can't wait to play it when it comes out at the end of August. Me and my brothers will be playing it for a while (and then shove it off to the side for a bit like we do with every other game). Sure, I agree that it doesn't exactly "feel" like a Metroid title, but then again, neither did Metroid Prime Pinball. Or Mario Strikers. Or Link's Crossbow Training.

I cannot wait to play this game and while everyone else is hating on it, I'm going to be one guy who's enjoying it.

I'm glad you cited beloved classics such as Metroid Prime Pinball and Link's Crossbow Training while making your argument. But enough being passive aggressive; I think that people would definitely have looked down on those games more if main series games weren't coming at at roughly the same time frame (Metroid Prime, Mario is so all encompassing that literally any great Mario game counts, Twilight Princess and later Skyword Sword). That's exactly what is happening with Federation Force, and it's getting more negative reception because 1) The general consensus is that Metroid Other M, the last Metroid game, is not a good game and 2) Fed Force the first Metroid to come out in years. It's like...if Star Fox Zero was a mini game collection. It could have been the best minigame collection of all time and still wouldn't be enough to stop people from being disappointed in it (granted, people still are disappointed in Star Fox Zero but that's for different reasons entirely).

Edited by Refa

BTW, Metroid got released 30 years ago today.

EDIT: Also RE Fed Force negativity - it seems to resemble Hunters, which I don't think was hated, but wasn't all that well liked. In fact, I think they said it was partially inspired by Hunters. So I think people are a bit surprised by that, too.

Edited by HELP

Whoa, didn't know that. That's pretty cool! Surprised it hasn't gotten more hype, or maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention.

I'm glad you cited beloved classics such as Metroid Prime Pinball and Link's Crossbow Training while making your argument. But enough being passive aggressive; I think that people would definitely have looked down on those games more if main series games weren't coming at at roughly the same time frame (Metroid Prime, Mario is so all encompassing that literally any great Mario game counts, Twilight Princess and later Skyword Sword). That's exactly what is happening with Federation Force, and it's getting more negative reception because 1) The general consensus is that Metroid Other M, the last Metroid game, is not a good game and 2) Fed Force the first Metroid to come out in years. It's like...if Star Fox Zero was a mini game collection. It could have been the best minigame collection of all time and still wouldn't be enough to stop people from being disappointed in it (granted, people still are disappointed in Star Fox Zero but that's for different reasons entirely).

Yeah, Other M did a number on the fans. Personally, while good, it would've made a better story than a game oh, wait...

I realize that Other M is a big reason why people were so let down by Federation Force, neither are the type of "Metroid" game people were expecting and they wanted Federation Force to be the next main-series title in the Metroid franchise. But that's not stopping it from becoming a good game.

I'm probably giving it a lot more hype myself, but I really like what I've seen so far.

Yeah, Other M did a number on the fans. Personally, while good, it would've made a better story than a game oh, wait...

I realize that Other M is a big reason why people were so let down by Federation Force, neither are the type of "Metroid" game people were expecting and they wanted Federation Force to be the next main-series title in the Metroid franchise. But that's not stopping it from becoming a good game.

I'm probably giving it a lot more hype myself, but I really like what I've seen so far.

It actually makes a better game than a story, if you take all the story aspects out, I don't think people would be nearly as livid with it as they are. The gameplay wasn't really complained about that much in comparison to... Certain aspects of story.

What Jedi said, but yes you are right that Federation Force could be a perfectly fine game. My point was illustrating that just a good game is not enough at this point.

Metroid 2 was actually my first ever metroid game. I still have my little grey cartridge. I might look into the redux, but honestly I think it's an underated game in its original form. It's got a lot of atmosphere, especially in the last section when

the number counter for surviving metroids suddenly increases

I don't even think the movement is too much weaker than its bigger brethern although the placement of acid pits prior to varia suit is a little questionable.

Edited by Reality

I didn't play Metroid until later, but I always watched my Mother play the original when I was little, she could kick its ass, she was also really good at 2 haha.

Metroid II was actually my first Metroid game, now that I think about it. I think I got it from my dad's late friend and it's main theme that plays when you first enter the game world is still one of my favorite themes from Metroid and possibly one of my favorite themes over all.

And it's down. Can't say I'm surprised.

What are you talking about the link still works and the download is still works... I just checked.

Anyways downloaded this yesterday, it's pretty cool and really well done.

Edited by Locke087

It’s hard to get mad at or blame Nintendo in this case – someone took a game that is still on sale today and remade it entirely, a massive copyright infringement that Nintendo is legally obligated to shut down or risk losing their IP rights.

Can't Nintendo offer to sell an IP license before resorting to a C&D?