Have you ever played a game you find "perfect"?

Magical Glace

Perfection  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Have you played a game you find perfect?

• Yes
    • No, and I doubt it could be done.
    • No, but I think it could happen.
  2. 2. Zera asked what's more perfect

• Tetris
    • Geometry Wars
    • Dragon Quest VI
    • Chrono Trigger

Title.

My answer is no, put plainly, and I think it probably always will be.

My top five favorite games, for example, each have their own issues:

• The Wind Waker's sailing segments were kinda boring sometimes, and it's really easy.
  • A Link Between Worlds didn't get into its surprisingly grey theme of "is it okay to save one kingdom at another's expanse" until you were about to fight Yuganon. Had this theme been further elaborated on and explored, this game could quite possibly have one of the best narratives in the franchise.
  • Dragon Quest VI didn't give any indication the Alltrades Abbey hole closes after Real!Murdaw's defeat, unlike the other three Dread Fiends' holes
  • The Binding Blade had a ton of mechanical issues that were fixed in Blazing Blade and the plot was a tad dull
  • Dragon Quest VII took away the one likely to be your main healer (without warning) after Mardra is cleared so you can get Girl Kiefer, which is also the cause of a game breaking bug in the PSX version. In the PSX version, monster classes were largely pointless and even getting them was luck based. Shards were occasionally very difficult to track down
So, how about it? Have you ever played a game that suits all your tastes flawlessly, without exception? What are some flaws in your favorite games that prevent you from considering them to be perfect? Do you think it's possible to develop a game you find perfect in the first place? Edited by Glaceon Mage

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Perfection is something you strive for but never truly achieve.

Final Fantasy 4 is my favorite game of all time, but the god damn random encounter rate is so high. If there was a piece of equipment you could get or maybe an option in the menu (like in Bravely Default) to turn off or at least the lower the random encounter rate, then it might hit perfection in my eyes.

No, nothing is perfect.

Personally, Kid Icarus Uprising is one of the best games I've ever played. It has great humor, very enjoyable gameplay, and Palutena, but it isn't perfect. The controls are wonky and take a lot of practice to get used to and the weapon fusion as really damn complex. Overall it's extremely enjoyable, and I legit didn't expect the plot twist my first time through, but it has it's problems.

Edited by TrueEm

Well, I mean I consider Crash Bandicoot 3 the best game ever made, and while some people may have flaws with it, I myself do not.

YES CRASH 3 IS MY FAVORITE GAME EVER!

*Ahem*

Anyway! I'm not really sure there will ever be such a thing as a perfect game. As I so excitedly stated above, my favorite game ever is Crash Bandicoot 3 (Warped). And while I do think it is as close to perfect as any game will ever be, I have sometimes felt that it could maybe have had another couple of levels added to it to increase its length. But other than that, it's perfect! :3:

Yes, I have: The World Ends With You. Although there are some parts that aren't as good as they could be, there are no bad parts of the game whatsoever. Everything, from the music to the writing to the gameplay, is great. The battle system isn't some deep system that takes forever to master; it's simple and yet enjoyable. The game also has several of my favorite boss fights of all time; Sho Minamimoto and the final boss especially are great. So yeah, I can't find a single flaw with The World Ends With You.

Favorite game is Super Mario 64, and I can find little wrong with it. The controls are responsive, the worlds are amazing. It's graphic might not have held up well compared to today, but compared to itself, I think it's perfect. :)

I think Etrian Odyssey Games would be the closest to it.

Great ambiance and really good gameplay. They aren't flawless, but they're really well-made games. Still won't really call them perfect, though...

I hadn't played played Live a Live for a while, so I forgot if it was bad. I remember some bullshit here and there, but it was diversified enough.

And even though it's an excellent RPG, Radiant Historia still have some little flaw here and there that stop it to be perfect.

Hmmm... Actually, if there were a perfect game out there it would be Mother 3 (Earthbound would be close second.)

Does it have any flaws? Sure, but none that truly matters. It's a game that speak to the heart and stays with you long after you've finished it.

In my opinion, the greatest game of all time is Chrono Trigger. I have played the game at least a dozen times 100% through each time, and I have tried to find something wrong with it, but in my eyes it is truly flawless. My second favorite game is Final Fantasy VI, and even though it's amazing, I will readily admit it has flaws. But Chrono Trigger is indeed perfect in my eyes.

No game can ever be more than 99% perfect. Which is why we round up to 100% and call it perfect anyway.

The highest percentage of perfect design I have seen is in Sin & Punishment: Star Successor and the second and third Bangai-O games, which are all developed by Treasure. The games made by Retro Studios regularly come close to such a moniker.

Yes, I have: The World Ends With You. Although there are some parts that aren't as good as they could be, there are no bad parts of the game whatsoever. Everything, from the music to the writing to the gameplay, is great. The battle system isn't some deep system that takes forever to master; it's simple and yet enjoyable. The game also has several of my favorite boss fights of all time; Sho Minamimoto and the final boss especially are great. So yeah, I can't find a single flaw with The World Ends With You.

Greetings, fellow TWEWY fan! I am here to crush your dreams.

1. Grinding for 100% completion... is grinding. And it cannot be done without grinding.

2. Some pins can only be evolved into with Mingle PP. Without friends, the only way to do this is by grinding the unnecessary and shallow Tin Pin Slammer minigame. Which is boring.

3. For a game about the power of teamwork and friendship, the lack of a multiplayer mode is both a huge missed opportunity and the greatest irony in the universe.

4. Did I mention 100%ing this game is a serious pain in the ass?

TWEWY's still a really good game though. Much better than the majority of JRPGs, if you ask me. But I can't call it perfect.

No, my favorites tend to have some type of flaw even if I love them. The only one that comes close for me is the original Xenoblade and the graphics and sidequests were not very good.

No, and I doubt I'll ever will.

I like to think about movies and games asking this question "How could it be even better?"

If I have an answer, for smaller and stupid as it might sound, then it is not perfect.

A good example since people mentioned it, is Crash 3. How could it be even better? Well, it could be longer. Sure, there are twenty-five levels plus hidden areas and bosses, but they're limited to variations on about five different time periods, and they’re very short. It could also improve its graphics, and fix afew known major glitches that speedrunners love.

Chronno Trigger, for example, could certainly use Resident Evil enviromental storytelling, so the game would not have to be so exposition heavy, that increases the already huge wall of texts in cutscenes.

Petty complains, yeah and probably unfair, but can you deny those things?

Still awesome games, not perfect by any means to my eyes.

No game can ever be more than 99% perfect. Which is why we round up to 100% and call it perfect anyway.

The highest percentage of perfect design I have seen is in Sin & Punishment: Star Successor and the second and third Bangai-O games, which are all developed by Treasure. The games made by Retro Studios regularly come close to such a moniker.

Greetings, fellow TWEWY fan! I am here to crush your dreams.

1. Grinding for 100% completion... is grinding. And it cannot be done without grinding.

2. Some pins can only be evolved into with Mingle PP. Without friends, the only way to do this is by grinding the unnecessary and shallow Tin Pin Slammer minigame. Which is boring.

3. For a game about the power of teamwork and friendship, the lack of a multiplayer mode is both a huge missed opportunity and the greatest irony in the universe.

4. Did I mention 100%ing this game is a serious pain in the ass?

TWEWY's still a really good game though. Much better than the majority of JRPGs, if you ask me. But I can't call it perfect.

1. I think it's a little unfair to list grinding as a flaw in an RPG, as many would say it's simply part of the experience. And I don't consider 100%ing a game essential to my enjoyment of it.

2. Hey, I actually like Tin Pin! And again, this assumes that you want to evolve a given pin.

3. Now this is fair enough, but I wouldn't call it a flaw. Although a multiplayer mode would be pretty good.

4. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I just don't care about 100%ing games. Collecting all the secret reports, beating Lanthera Cantus, and beating the boss Rush is more than enough for me.

Well, there is one game: Freedom Planet. It starts strong and just keeps getting better and better until the utterly amazing final boss. Seriously, I've never played a game with such flawless pacing was, with each new level managing to outdo the previous ones while also maintaining a perfect difficulty curve.

Edited by BrightBow

For me it's Metal Gear Solid 3

Great characters, story, climax, intense yet beginner friendly difficulty, many great moments and gameplay doesn't feel outdated.

i chose yes because of another game that i could probably play through on literally any day

but MGS3 is probably my favorite and I guess would qualify too

i can't really think of a single issue i had with it that would stop me from playing it again

everything about it is just super solid and it's a really fun game to play while also having a great story with a lot of great characters

Nothing is ever perfect and nothing will ever be, but there is a time to declare something finished and say is this is as close as it ever will be.

Majora Mask (N64) is my favorite game of all time and a complete and total artist masterpiece (imo), it is not perfect but it does not mean it needed to dramatically improved upon, (quality of life changes are fine but if you are trying to change the core game you're just going to mess it up) like with the 3DS version, by this I mean while game isn't exactly perfect trying to "improve it" to achieve perfection can actually hurt the overall product. There's a point when you're painting where you need to put down the brush and say it's good enough because you're just gonna make it worse. Perfection is not a feet an artist should try to achieve, instead you should put forth your best effort until the completion of your vision, it may not be perfect but it's the best it's ever going to be.

Edited by Locke087

I don't want to play to a truly perfect game to be honest.

I once read a story of a guy who heard the perfect sound and then Mozart, the Beatles, and *insert favorite kpop here* were Nothing more than noises to him in comparison.

(That was mostly the effect Hyouka had on me, too.).

In my opinion, the greatest game of all time is Chrono Trigger. I have played the game at least a dozen times 100% through each time, and I have tried to find something wrong with it, but in my eyes it is truly flawless. My second favorite game is Final Fantasy VI, and even though it's amazing, I will readily admit it has flaws. But Chrono Trigger is indeed perfect in my eyes.

Catching the Rat and the Sewer. Hell, most of the Future was a massive pain.

I still love that game, but I still remember those few awfull part that keeps me for truly love it.

1. I think it's a little unfair to list grinding as a flaw in an RPG, as many would say it's simply part of the experience. And I don't consider 100%ing a game essential to my enjoyment of it.

2. Hey, I actually like Tin Pin! And again, this assumes that you want to evolve a given pin.

3. Now this is fair enough, but I wouldn't call it a flaw. Although a multiplayer mode would be pretty good.

4. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I just don't care about 100%ing games. Collecting all the secret reports, beating Lanthera Cantus, and beating the boss Rush is more than enough for me.

I have two counterpoints to your position -

1. Grinding is not neccessarily part of the RPG experience. Case in point, the Paper Mario series. If you can have all the fun and charm of an RPG without the repetition, why wouldn't you? I know some people like grinding, but much like smoking, it's still bad.

2. TWEWY has, right on the save screen, an indication of your exact percentage of completion. It is explicitly telling me "Hey, here's a number that could be 100. Can you get it there?" I like to exhaust all the challenges a game has to offer, and if it is perfect as a whole, all of these challenges should be comparably fun to playing normally.

i won't say any game is without flaws (i'm not going to get into a philosophical discussion here) but i find it very difficult to find flaws in either the first Portal game or Chrono Trigger

I have two counterpoints to your position -

1. Grinding is not neccessarily part of the RPG experience. Case in point, the Paper Mario series. If you can have all the fun and charm of an RPG without the repetition, why wouldn't you? I know some people like grinding, but much like smoking, it's still bad.

2. TWEWY has, right on the save screen, an indication of your exact percentage of completion. It is explicitly telling me "Hey, here's a number that could be 100. Can you get it there?" I like to exhaust all the challenges a game has to offer, and if it is perfect as a whole, all of these challenges should be comparably fun to playing normally.

dude.

really.

So, how about it? Have you ever played a game that suits all your tastes flawlessly, without exception?