walmart job vs mcdonalds job

Ansem

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mcdonalds

it would be a much more chaotic work environment but walmart did awfully at teaching me how to actually do my job and unfortunately the position I worked in needed me to learn a loooot of things and I never even fully caught up before I had to switch jobs because they were so awful about my availability (but also because my dad got a new job as soon as I did so even though he TOLD me I could apply far enough that I couldn't walk to he quickly became very unreliable transportation)

I feel like mcdonalds would be a bit similar about the availability thing but I think they'd be more like my steak n shake experience so far, where I only had to say ONCE that "I can't work those times" and they'd be like "oh ok sry I forgot I'll try remember from now on" compared to the multiple times I had to tell the people at walmart

probably because there would be less people for them to have to manage

also it's silly but I hate working in windowless rooms which you get in stores (for the most part) and which I had in walmart, but not (again, for the most part~) at restaurants

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mcdonalds

it would be a much more chaotic work environment but walmart did awfully at teaching me how to actually do my job and unfortunately the position I worked in needed me to learn a loooot of things and I never even fully caught up before I had to switch jobs because they were so awful about my availability (but also because my dad got a new job as soon as I did so even though he TOLD me I could apply far enough that I couldn't walk to he quickly became very unreliable transportation)

I feel like mcdonalds would be a bit similar about the availability thing but I think they'd be more like my steak n shake experience so far, where I only had to say ONCE that "I can't work those times" and they'd be like "oh ok sry I forgot I'll try remember from now on" compared to the multiple times I had to tell the people at walmart

probably because there would be less people for them to have to manage

also it's silly but I hate working in windowless rooms which you get in stores (for the most part) and which I had in walmart, but not (again, for the most part~) at restaurants

Oh, cool, are you working at Steak 'n Shake now, or in the past? I worked there for 6 years, in high school and undergrad.

Oh, cool, are you working at Steak 'n Shake now, or in the past? I worked there for 6 years, in high school and undergrad.

currently there, still!

my mom used to work there too~

I'm exhausted because my shift today lasted way longer than I wanted it to and seeing how busy my next week is going to be made me feel even more exhausted ^o^

and I'm just a part-time worker, even \o/

i'd hate to be a walmart employee on black friday

That's the best time. Everyone's robbing the clothing section.

However there is a reason why I work at a smaller Walgreens instead. We can watch the madness of our neighboring companies almost unpeturbed.

i'd hate to be a walmart employee on black friday

I had the opportunity to experience this

.......... I worked in the deli, there was pretty much no business \o/ I never saw any of the crowds because they weren't anywhere near my station

currently there, still!

my mom used to work there too~

I'm exhausted because my shift today lasted way longer than I wanted it to and seeing how busy my next week is going to be made me feel even more exhausted ^o^

and I'm just a part-time worker, even \o/

Cool, what do you do there? I was primarily a server, but did pretty much everything until I got promoted up the chain to shift manager. The only thing I really hated was drive-thru. That beep hurt my ears. I worked more or less full time during school to help pay for my rent and such after I moved out on my own, then moved to part time, after I got a second job, while I was going through undergrad.

WalMart

Employee discount on basically all living expenses sans monthly bills

Don't underestimate free food, though. I ate more or less the same thing everyday for 6 years.

Walhart (They DO sell lobsters there.)

Fast food isn't my thing so working at a place that specializes in making it would be inconvenient. That aside, the Wal-Mart's in my area usually have a McDonald's in them near one of the entrances so one could technically work at both.

Cool, what do you do there? I was primarily a server, but did pretty much everything until I got promoted up the chain to shift manager. The only thing I really hated was drive-thru. That beep hurt my ears. I worked more or less full time during school to help pay for my rent and such after I moved out on my own, then moved to part time, after I got a second job, while I was going through undergrad.

I'm a sandwich dresser! I applied for food prep and somebody beat me to the position and they needed a dresser and hey that sounded fun to do too

Yeah drive thru dressers are supposed to wear headsets but I get away with not whenever I can ^o^ Not because the beeping bothers me though but because I can't multitask and all the voices in the background are very distracting and it's also useless for me to be able to hear things because often I have to try to blur words out just to even be able to do my job so when I'm supposed to prepare my order in advance to get an edge I... very often don't~

Thankfully, I'm usually scheduled on the dining side~! It feels so much nicer having a clear(er) head

WalMart

Employee discount on basically all living expenses sans monthly bills

If you get creative, and don't mind cholesterol, McDonalds can do the same!

I've never worked in retail or food service, but Walmart sounds a little better. I've had friends who hated worked in places like Burger King!

I'm a sandwich dresser! I applied for food prep and somebody beat me to the position and they needed a dresser and hey that sounded fun to do too

Yeah drive thru dressers are supposed to wear headsets but I get away with not whenever I can ^o^ Not because the beeping bothers me though but because I can't multitask and all the voices in the background are very distracting and it's also useless for me to be able to hear things because often I have to try to blur words out just to even be able to do my job so when I'm supposed to prepare my order in advance to get an edge I... very often don't~

Thankfully, I'm usually scheduled on the dining side~! It feels so much nicer having a clear(er) head

Cool, dress station is sort of like the captain of the line, putting everything together, it's also the only position where you can't really have a second person helping you, since they'd only get in the way, unlike grill, steam, or drivethru. Dress and drivethru were my most common spots, when I wasn't waiting tables. I just hated the dreaded Turkey Club, throwing a wrench into the whole flow of the assembly line.

my brother had a burger king job and hated it but integrity and specta's mom worked there and loved it

but since she's older it's been way longer since she worked there than my brother so for modern day burger king my brother's experience is probably more accurate

it's just that he also worked at kroger (a better walmart, for those who don't have kroger) and hated it

meanwhile integrity's been working for kroger but as a researcher and has been enjoying his job, but those are both very different positions to have

so like I guess this question can be very position-based

I'm just answering from the position of being somebody who is very unambitious and strangely unmotivated by the word "money"

my brother had a burger king job and hated it but integrity and specta's mom worked there and loved it

but since she's older it's been way longer since she worked there than my brother so for modern day burger king my brother's experience is probably more accurate

it's just that he also worked at kroger (a better walmart, for those who don't have kroger) and hated it

meanwhile integrity's been working for kroger but as a researcher and has been enjoying his job, but those are both very different positions to have

so like I guess this question can be very position-based

I'm just answering from the position of being somebody who is very unambitious and strangely unmotivated by the word "money"

My Steak 'n Shake experience may already be dated, I started working there in 2002.

Is Kroger not a grocery store? We don't have one around where I live, but I could have sworn it sold groceries.

Working at a fast food place for money isn't really a bad thing. It's a great place to work when entering the work force and gives good work experience.

Cool, dress station is sort of like the captain of the line, putting everything together, it's also the only position where you can't really have a second person helping you, since they'd only get in the way, unlike grill, steam, or drivethru. Dress and drivethru were my most common spots, when I wasn't waiting tables. I just hated the dreaded Turkey Club, throwing a wrench into the whole flow of the assembly line.

fucking turkey clubs

I agree they're awful

Although idk if this changed or varies based on restaurants, but here steam and dressing are the same position \o/ Just that there are two "dressers" and one primarily sticks on frying and the other primarily dresses. Just we could totally switch positions if we wanted. Though I think we've managed to be fairly successful having somebody come help out with dressing, we just have to know how to work around each other

But uh honestly I find that even more than turkey clubs, salads and pasta meals threw my groove off even more and sometimes people really love ordering those and it really makes me fall behind on orders

Thankfully I'm a quick learner and I've been getting a good hang of things. But man sometimes people EAT TOO MUCH (and then sometimes complain about what is a direct result of them EATING TOO MUCH)

My Steak 'n Shake experience may already be dated, I started working there in 2002.

Is Kroger not a grocery store? We don't have one around where I live, but I could have sworn it sold groceries.

Working at a fast food place for money isn't really a bad thing. It's a great place to work when entering the work force and gives good work experience.

well, yeah~ It's a better walmart but only in the grocery section ^o^

And yeah I never considered it a bad thing, it's just that the kind of positions I'd aim for are not quite as lofty and high-paying as say what Integrity's going to get paid soon and it's only going to get higher