How long did it take you to memorize the new weapon triangle?

Alastor15243

At first I thought it would be a pain in the butt to remember, but a few months before the game came out, when I thought about it while playing Awakening, I realized there was a very simple way to remember the entire weapon triangle:

Grandmasters (Swords and Tomes) beat Warriors (Axes and Bows).

And suddenly with that in mind the whole thing became really simple.

But I've watched a let's play or two where the LPer was struggling to remember the full weapon triangle even at the end of a run, so I'm wondering how long it took everyone here.

I can remember Dagger>Tome>Bow>Dagger but when it gets to which part of the first triangle something in the second triangle beats, I have to think about it for a few seconds.

I still haven't; it's not intuitive at all. At least the old one sorta made sense, even if not 100% historically accurate.

Pretty much instantly, because the weapon icons are color-coded. It helps that the weapon icons have a small strip of color at the bottom that indicates what color weapons they beat.

It took about 10 chapters in when I started, but I found it fairly easy to memorize with the tomes and bows (high accuracy vs new axe level power). Took a little longer with the shurikens, since what axe user is actually going to dodge that (or most units for that matter), but it came along eventually. Honestly, those shuriken don't really seem to have much in common with lances, except for the fact their users tend to fare well against magic and sword units thanks to their high resistance and the sword users' lack of ranged weapons.

Not that long tbh. It probably only took me like a hour or less.

Though that's probably because a lot of games I've played used a rock --> paper --> scissors advantage/disadvantage style.

Edited by ~Summer~

Swords axes and lances? instantly. Magic, bows and shurikens? Oh boy... You see, I have lysdexia so I still mix them up. :/ Though I think my problem is when both are used simultaneously (lol like always). I forget where tomes bows and shurikens lie on that triangle with the swords lances and axes XD.

Edit: #Jin you ninja'd me O_O

Edited by TheTuckingFypo

I remembered most of it pretty quickly, but I always, always, always forget that tomes beat bows. Like for some reason I keep thinking bows beat tomes, but I just don't know why it happens. Like I'd see the tome users and I'll think, okay time to bring my bow users, then mid chapter I'd remember that tomes beat bows and I'll be like, 'Um, bad idea?'

The sword lance axe triangle has been burned into my brain. It took a few chapters to remember the rest but now it stuck. Except you know, when I accidentally think bows somehow beat tomes.

Like... almost instantly tbh.

More or less this. But then, I mean, I was also following the press releases which revealed the new weapon triangle before the game was even out in Japan so I did have a while to adjust to it/mentally prepare myself for it before the game actually came out.

For those having trouble remembering, a maybe-helpful mnemonic is that it matches the starter matchups in Pokémon:

Red beats Green beats Blue beats Red

Fire beats Grass beats Water beats Fire

Edited by Topaz Light

I had to liken the alternate weapon types to a traditional weapon type to get it down. Tomes are Swords, Shuriken are Lances, and Bows are Axes. After that, I was never confused again.

It does not help with memory, but I now notice that WTA aligns with the traditional method of defeating an enemy type in the older games. As such, it makes sense that axes are at a disadvantage against tomes because Sages nuke Warriors. Pegasus Knights also have no business taking an arrow, thus the lance disadvantage against bows. Knives and tomes are the outlier matchup, as Thieves/Assassins never had any special advantage over magic users in previous games.

Edited by Inference

I'm still getting used to the new Triangle because I'm a dork. I mean, I have it memorized, but I still need to actively think about it, which I don't for the triangles in earlier games.

Before I knew that the game had colour coded the weapon triangle I invented my own logic to try and remember the triangle.

Bows beat shuriken/daggers due to range

Sword Mages hate assassins (hidden weapons beats tomes and swords)

Beserkers wreck assassins (axes beat hidden weapons)

Archer formations route spearmen (bows beat lances)

Wizards prepare Protection from arrows (tomes beat bows)

Other random things I came up with to remember the triangle:

Bows and Axes share a D shape (they have the same weapon triangle interactions)

Daggers are the tips of spears (hidden weapons and lances share weapon triangle interaction)

Sword mages are a thing (Swords and tomes share weapon triangle interaction)

More or less this. But then, I mean, I was also following the press releases which revealed the new weapon triangle before the game was even out in Japan so I did have a while to adjust to it/mentally prepare myself for it before the game actually came out.

For those having trouble remembering, a maybe-helpful mnemonic is that it matches the starter matchups in Pokémon:

Red beats Green beats Blue beats Red

Fire beats Grass beats Water beats Fire

Frankly I think they picked the wrong colors for each. I think swords and tomes should've been blue, axes and bows should've been red, and lances and knives should've been green. That honestly just seems more fitting.

Edited by Alastor15243

To be honest, I still haven't remembered. It doesn't help my eyes suck at identifying certain ranges, so I can't tell the difference between the blue and green icons.

Let's see, bows are the same as axes, swords the same as magic and daggers the same as lances. Right? I do instinctively throw daggers at sword users, but that's about it.

The problem with trying to think about class match-ups for the new weapon triangle, is you could easily work it backwards.

Mages beat Armor Knights with Lances, because they have low Resistance. Armor Knights beat Archers, because they have high Defense, and Archers often have low Strength.