In a RPG, would you restart a boss battle if one of your characters died and didn't get any EXP?

IceBrand

It largely depends on the game and how hard the boss was. [spoiler=Tales of Graces]Emeraude

is one of those instances where I'd probably not bother to restart, even if I had a rough time (it's also worth noting that said boss comes right after another boss, meaning I'd have to fight that boss again if I restarted).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

In Golden Sun, no, because you can revive during the fight if you have the correct djinn set, and they get EXP anyway, even if they're not in the party.

Pokemon, also no, because you can always revive them and keep grinding to keep your team around the same level.

It largely depends on the game and how hard the boss was. [spoiler=Tales of Graces]Emeraude

is one of those instances where I'd probably not bother to restart, even if I had a rough time (it's also worth noting that said boss comes right after another boss, meaning I'd have to fight that boss again if I restarted).

As for this one it was the only time in this game I switched to easy difficulty because I didn't expect that she had two faces. I didn't prepare myself with healing items and life bottles before I entered this dungeon. After her first face I was pretty out of healing items.

When I realized that she had a second phase... Oh my gosh, I was fucked!

I just have to remember when I solo'd the Six God Generals Trio in Abyss with Natalia unintendendly.

Normally I reset to get as much experience as possible, especially in the latest Tales of parts.

In Zestiria all the generic monsters on the world map and in the dungeons brought you like no expierence so I used a holy bottle for each dungeon. So much more it was important to let everyone alive against the elite monsters, because these were the ones which brought you the experience.

(the exception was the EO2 Battle against Artelinde, because it was hard enough as it is.)

Do you mean EO2 or EOU2? I don't remember being the EO2 fight being even remotely hard. I don't know if I was over leveled at the time. The EOU2 fight is a bit trickier.

Do you mean EO2 or EOU2? I don't remember being the EO2 fight being even remotely hard. I don't know if I was over leveled at the time. The EOU2 fight is a bit trickier.

EOU2. I could have thought further to find a strategy, but since there's the lengthy scene before and I'd done it too many time, I just went on.

As for this one it was the only time in this game I switched to easy difficulty because I didn't expect that she had two faces. I didn't prepare myself with healing items and life bottles before I entered this dungeon. After her first face I was pretty out of healing items.

When I realized that she had a second phase... Oh my gosh, I was fucked!

I just have to remember when I solo'd the Six God Generals Trio in Abyss with Natalia unintendendly.

Normally I reset to get as much experience as possible, especially in the latest Tales of parts.

In Zestiria all the generic monsters on the world map and in the dungeons brought you like no expierence so I used a holy bottle for each dungeon. So much more it was important to let everyone alive against the elite monsters, because these were the ones which brought you the experience.

Actually, the boss right before her is Possessed Richard, who's much easier in comparison, but still not a cakewalk.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Depends on how intense the fight was, and how much EXP was given.

I'll assume it's a lot, so it really comes down to who died and how intense the fight was... but normally I don't restart.

Depends. Generally no, unless if the level grinding is essentially impossible (most of Fire Emblem), or really cumbersome (some of the battles in Pokémon BW1 thanks to the EXP scaling).

Edited by henrymidfields

Depends. I went through the entire second half of Final Fantasy with my monk dead because I got tired of having to run back and Rez him every 5 minutes. So when he got resurrected at some point towards the end, he was easily 30 or more levels behind. In Fire Emblem I have restarted if a character didn't get the chance for a kill. Example being Sothe critting a boss instead of weakening him for someone else. I restarted because I really needed that kill on the other character ( I think it was Edward)

Depends on the game and the situation. Although...I most likely will(unless the Boss is a major pain or really annoying...).

Also, I'll make sure to save on another file just in case I change my mind and say, "bump it"!