Pokemon Generations

Konnor97

I was slightly terrified of Kyogre in ep 8. I didn't know Archie was this insane.

You mean the guy trying to flood an entire continent/the entire world isn't totally sane? How surprising!

Jokes asides, it showed how compeletely dumb his plan was, yet it still was believable/reliable.

It's tragic irony at his finest, he did that because he thought the children pokémon, and they show them fleeing for they life and probably dying helplessly.

It takes Something we already know, but thanks to the way it's presented, it works better.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as well to see what repercussions there might be in-game from episode nine of Generations, if there are any.

As for Episode Ten...that was REALLY fuckin' unnverving.

They wouldn't be dead, this is a kid's show. I think they just got scared out of their minds.

Also, I'm VERY surprised episode 9 didn't have Zinnia. :/

EDIT: You mean Brendan or May. Probably Brendan since the male trainer has been used for gens 1 and 2 so far as well.

Edited by Anacybele

"Kid's show" doesn't really automatically dictate death can't be shown or implied (it's up to what people think, and will vary depending on where in the world, it is not an absolute constant). On the other hand, I do agree that for this particular case, it's quite unlikely. Considering the shorts are meant to show stuff that happens off-screen to the games, it's likely this is simply what Cheryl was doing before (or after, if it can apply) she meets the PC in the forest. My guess in any case.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Yeah, but did we ever see characters die in the Pokemon anime before? I don't think so. I certainly don't remember and I've watched nearly every episode up to this point, including some Chronicles ones as well as Origins. And if there were, it was probably censored in the dubbing, go figure.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, but did we ever see characters die in the Pokemon anime before? I don't think so. I certainly don't remember and I've watched nearly every episode up to this point, including some Chronicles ones as well as Origins. And if there were, it was probably censored in the dubbing, go figure.

Maybe not in the anime, but it certainly is often implied. Hell, Generation 6 in Kalos had the one man that you leave a Pokemon with who passes away.

Also, for anime itself, I suppose the Cocoon of Destruction could count-even though they're turned to stone and evaporated, they were essentially killed. Maybe not evaporated-I can't remember for certain, but definitely messed up by Yveltal, the being of DEATH.

Edited by Dai

Maybe not in the anime, but it certainly is often implied. Hell, Generation 6 in Kalos had the one man that you leave a Pokemon with who passes away.

I don't remember this. But it sounds like that happened in the game, and the games can be different from the anime, because we all know there have been Pokemon deaths at least in them, like the famous Marowak in Kanto.

EDIT: You mean Brendan or May. Probably Brendan since the male trainer has been used for gens 1 and 2 so far as well.

That's so true also I meant Brendan and May.

I don't remember this. But it sounds like that happened in the game, and the games can be different from the anime, because we all know there have been Pokemon deaths at least in them, like the famous Marowak in Kanto.

It's very highly implied that the old man in Anistar city died.

And Generations is based on the main series where, like you said, a Marowak was killed. There are many dark implications in the main series. It wouldn't be suprising to see people die. Remember Lysandre? He's pretty much dead.

Of course, there is a different between on-screen death and off-screen. And then there's off-screen implied.

In the Pokémon anime itself, we have Hunter J. Her ship sinks underwater... and then explodes. You can hear the crew screaming as waters break into the bridge. If you ask me, chances of their survival is very low. They don't need to outright mention they died. The sequence speaks for itself if that was the case.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Yeah, but did we ever see characters die in the Pokemon anime before?

Latios in Pokemon Heroes. Lucario in Mystery of Mew. Not to mention the maiming of Ash, Ash's Charizard, Celebi, Pikachu, Darkrai, and the near drowning of Ash. The series is kid friendly, but not one of the movies is happy or kid friendly.

Changing the subject for a bit, that ghost girl at the end of Pokemon Generations episode 10...

There was a lot of static on her face when she made that creepy expression.

Could she have actually been Rotom?

Edited by Water Mage

I never realized Chansey was so big... It was really adorable throughout the episode though!

I wasn't expecting to see Gabby and Ty. While they had some degree of relevance in Special, I don't think they did a whole lot in the games themselves. It's kinda interesting how, in Special, they weren't intending to spill the data they got on the meteor to anything but Mossdeep Space Center, but here they seem to have taken the data from it.

Of course, someone wound up stealing the Meteor data in Special and leaking it to the news anyway.

I feel kinda bad for Cheryl.

It's very highly implied that the old man in Anistar city died.

And Generations is based on the main series where, like you said, a Marowak was killed. There are many dark implications in the main series. It wouldn't be suprising to see people die. Remember Lysandre? He's pretty much dead.

He either was given mercy and killed in Y or forced to remain buried under rubble alive for eternity in X.

Also about the death thing: If it means anything, Special got away with TECHNICALLY killing off Maxie and Archie. Them coming back in ORAS had them still be "dead" and given temporary bodies.

There's also what happened to Black, as Black's fate of being sealed into the Light Stone for who-knows-how-long-that'll-last is arguably worse than outright dying. It's not really clear if he's conscious in there.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Changing the subject for a bit, that ghost girl at the end of Pokemon Generations episode 10...

There was a lot of static on her face when she made that creepy expression.

Could she have actually been Rotom?

I think they'd have do it like the games and have it come out of a TV if it was Rotom.

Yeah, but my point is that we never see these things on-screen, so it's hard to even say if some of these deaths are implied, let alone actually happened. Marowak isn't shown being killed, we just see it as a ghost.

Similarly, we didn't actually SEE Cheryl and Chansey die. There weren't any clear implications that they did either, at least as far as I could see.

Quick thing about the death thing-wasn't Marowak shown killed more or less in Origins?

Yes, but it was confirmed in the main games that Team Rocket killed Marowak.

A NPC in Lavander Town mentions that Marowak was killed by Team Rocket.

Yeah, but my point is that we never see these things on-screen, so it's hard to even say if some of these deaths are implied, let alone actually happened. Marowak isn't shown being killed, we just see it as a ghost.

Similarly, we didn't actually SEE Cheryl and Chansey die. There weren't any clear implications that they did either, at least as far as I could see.

It's not a rule that every death has to be seen in order to happen. Specially for cases like the Marowak. In the games, NPC text outright says it was killed. In Origins, it's shown alive in a flashback, and then as a ghost in the present. That is enough to state it was killed without showing the actual deed, and then there's still possible character dialogue also says it died.

The thing about Cheryl and Chansey is that essentially there's not enough things for even an implication to happen. So yeah, they're fine, if just very shaken for all the scares they went through.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

It's not a rule that every death has to be seen in order to happen. Specially for cases like the Marowak. In the games, NPC text outright says it was killed. In Origins, it's shown alive in a flashback, and then as a ghost in the present. That is enough to state it was killed without showing the actual deed, and then there's still possible character dialogue also says it died.

The thing about Cheryl and Chansey is that essentially there's not enough things for even an implication to happen. So yeah, they're fine, if just very shaken for all the scares they went through.

Yeah, you basically just stated the whole point I was trying to make, so yeah, I know. xP