The Worst Mistake You Made When You First Started Playing FE

Captain Karnage

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first game was Sacred Stones, and at the time, I had no idea how to play it, so... In resume: Everyone dies. I didn't knew they really die forever (I couldn't understand english very well in that days). I stopped playing after I was left with only Eirika. Then one year later, I took the game again, deleted the doomed file and then learned how to play haha

(I remember posting this in a similar thread some time ago, but here it goes again...)

My first FE game (also my first game in the SRPG genre) was Awakening, and most of the stupidities were due to not reading the tutorial and examining the interface carefully (I thought it was just like most other turn-based RPGs out there except with a grid map lol). Namely:

- I overused Frederick up to endgame. Needless to say I had a very hard time defeating Grima with a bunch of squishy units even though I was on Normal-Casual and grinded a lot.

- I didn't understand the concept of effective weaponry (which was extremely stupid considering it was clearly stated in the weapon description and even had an icon to indicate that), therefore I didn't use any to make my life easier, and my fliers were always exposed to bows and wind magics and ended up dead. As I said I was playing on Casual so I didn't care that much lol.

- At first I didn't even know about weapon ranks lol (I didn't realize what the A, B, C, D, E meant). I was wondering why a certain unit could not use a certain weapon even though their class clearly allows them to.

- I thought Ricken was the more powerful mage than Miriel just because he came with a more powerful tome than her. So yes, I judged a unit basing on their starting inventory and not their actual stats (I never paid much attention to character stats when I played regular turn-based RPGs). It didn't help that I didn't understand about effective weaponry so when I saw that he dealt massive damage against the Wyvern Knights with Elwind I thought that he was that powerful in general lolololololol.

- I benched Robin, the most broken first-gen unit in the entire game! To me an extra chance to get a game over is no-no.

- I didn't use any of the children.

- I thought skills weren't significant, I was so wrong lol.

- I thought Olivia were useless and benched her after a few chapters because she was really weak and squishy which was actually irrelevant since she's not supposed to be in enemy range (while I did realize the importance of being able to move again, I didn't know how to position her properly so that she wouldn't get killed so I didn't even bother).

- Speaking of which, I didn't even know how to turn on enemy range lol.

- I promoted everyone at Lv. 10 and didn't bother using second seals (I didn't know about the infinite level ups in this game, so when my character capped at Lv. 20 I just... let them be).

Edited by Ryo

My list of stupid mistakes:

I started with FE7, so most of my mistakes come from there, but the game was so forgiving that I could beat it anyway even if I played horribly wrong:
- Dorcas and Florina died on the siege of Caelin stage. As Florina was already defeated in the tutorial and didn't died, I assumed she would be all right. I guess I was wrong.
- And I didn't restarted just to prevent them from dying, as I wanted to see what happened next in the story...
- Over-abusing of Marcus, and Hawkeye late in the game, and neglecting training Eliwood. That mission with the lava in which he was alone was a real pain.
- As some have said, refusing to use special weapons just because they couldn't be replaced.
- Promoting early, although it didn't end up bad for me I guess.
- I totally ignored the weapon triangle.
- I disregarded healers in favor of vulneraries.
- I used every single new unit the game gave me. I didn't give a second thought in replacing Rebecca for Will, and replacing Will for Louise. No matter how awful I was playing, the game kept giving me stronger and stronger characters. Hell, I even defeated Nergal with Athos, as no other unit could even scratch him. I even thought it was meant to be that way, a duel between too old powerful wizards, so that no other character could damage him...
- This has to be the most hilarious: I misread "lass" for "lad", so I thought the "red haired lad" was Eliwood. I think I don't need to say that it ended up very bad for Raven. And I wondered why I couldn't recruit him...
- I disregarded completely the support system, as I deemed it unnecessary. I mean, it was cool if supports emerged spontaneously, but I didn't actively look for them.
- Fortunately my (hard) time with FE2, FE3, and FE4 made me realize that I maybe should stop playing badly.

FE2:
- Mostly forgetting about magic weight, which screwed up my speed calculations.
- Forgetting about the very long range archers have in this game.
- As I hate level grinding, I entered most battles underleveled. I learned my lesson the hard way, but it was nothing a couple of dungeons and graveyards couldn't fix.

FE3:
- Over-relying on Jeigan in Book 1. I got to the endgame with horribly underleveled characters that couldn't survive against the dragons. I cornered myself into an unwinnable situation, and to my surprise the game didn't rescued me...
- Not realizing Fire Dragons were good against Ice Dragons in Book 2. That mission with the Ice Dragons was a real pain.
- Hey, I had no clue I had to take specific characters to rescue the sisters in the endgame in Book 2... It was not my fault!

FE4:
- I missed the arena feature the first time I played Chapter 1, so I had to replay it.
- Not to mention failing several times trying to recruit Ayra...
- Not knowing Dew could lower bridges, would could have saved me a hundred turns in Chapter 4.
- Total and complete disregard for the pairing system, as I didn't imagine it would be so important. Long story short, I lost Holsety for good...
- I never got to beat the game as I got my ass kicked in Chapter 8. And Chapter 7 was a real pain.

FE8:
- I promoted Franz to a Great Knight as soon as I could just to see how a Great Knight looked...
- I missed Cormag on Eirika's route because I beat the chapter before he arrived.
- I killed Amelia on the first try, not realizing she would come running to her death.
- Well, early-promoting and over-relying on promotes again, but it was not a problem as most characters in FE8 are nearly indestructible.
- Killing Joshua and Marisa unintentionally while trying to recruit them. I guess Seth is not a good bait for them to come closer...
- Refusing to use Mirrh as I thought her dragon stone could not be replaced.

FE9:
- Neglecting Mist training made the fight against the Black Knight much harder. Fortunately I didn't neglect Ike's training.
- Over-relying on Lethe, Mordecai and Muarim and expecting them to perform nearly as good in FE10 (although this could count as a FE10 noob mistake instead)
- Unequipping Paragon from Astrid thinking I could give it to someone else (fortunately FE10 fixed this and let me do it finally)
- Making Elincia attack/talk with Bertram, without realizing she had no more moves and couldn't be rescued or shoved away. Tauroneo/Provoke saved me from my monumental stupidity and from a restart.
- Forgetting to change equipped weapons, which in turn resulted in attacking Daein soldiers with laguz lance and laguz swords... This has to be the worst.

FE10:
- That Lethe, Mordecai and Muarim thing.
- Soloing Part 1 Endgame with Nailah and the Black Knight. For some reason I thought it wouldn't matter in the long run.
- Maybe recruiting Jill and Zihark back into the Greil Mercenaries, which made my Dawn Brigade missions in Part 3 much harder. I hated that missions.
- Forgetting to unequip Mercy from Elincia.
- Forgetting to check enemy's weaponry is always a pain, but it was much worse here. Knight killers and hammers, anyone?
- Miscalculating enemy range and getting Leanne/Reyson/Rhys/Laura killed.
- I didn't paid enough attention to Yune saying "Equip your best weapons". I went to the convoy and brought everything I could, but I didn't understood she meant to select the current weapon for each character. I ended up with a blessed Iron Sword, although it was nothing a quick restart couldn't fix.
- Not realizing I could bless Alondite either.
- Not bringing anyone with Nihil to the Tower of Guidance. The whole endgame chapters were a restarting fest for me.
- Not paying attention that different colored floor tiles provided different boosts...
- Watching Ashera resurrect after the final blow, anyone?

Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, December 11, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, December 11, 2016 - No reason given

Sorry for the repost, I got an internal server error and thought the first post didn't make it.

Edited by geraq

I thought that I could let Maribelle die in her recruit chapter, I was wrong. I also didn't realise that Chrom could talk to Kellam to recruit him, I just thought he was just some random ally knight. Also didn't use a single child unit in awakening because they where under-leved so in my eyes worthless, I was wrong they where not worthless but its not a decision I regret .