Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 3 Reunion

Shin

There was only a moment's delay before he found himself ripped away from the void, submerged in a deluge of thoughts, feelings, and sensations that threatened to drown him. But even as he struggled to stay afloat, he found himself acutely aware of what was happening around him. Flashes of recent events in his life flickered in front of him. His introduction to Charlotte, and the warning given by the old man were among the first to be shown to him. But they were hardly of any interest. It's not like they had happened so long ago that he would have forgotten them. But before his disinterest could grow, he was treated to something truly intriguing. Claire?! And then Charlotte and a man named Edion. And finally some woman he'd never even seen before addressing Owen. This wasn't just a showing of his memories, but something far more than that.

Soon, the waters calmed, and he found himself standing in a type of place that he'd been expecting from the outset--a wicked world devoid of color and constancy. A plane of existence no man would wish to venture upon. He was filled with a sense of dreadful familiarity, and he couldn't understand why. Not until he looked up at the man seated center stage. Instinctively, he tensed up, frozen where he stood. As he began contemplating what it might feel like for a dead man to die again, the words spoken by Malaphar instilled a new fear into him.

-:-

A sharp breath of air had signaled his return to the world of the living. He couldn't exactly call it divine intervention, but there was no mistaking it--he'd been granted his second chance. His heart was still pounding furiously. He felt sweaty, and dazed, like he'd just awoken from a terrible dream. But everything that he'd seen was still clear in his mind. He clutched his head in his hands, trying to squeeze away the dull aching pain pulsating in his head. When Malaphar had used his magic, he'd taken Owen and some others but he was among those that had been left behind. This had been the first time he'd seen Malaphar's world with his own eyes, and yet it all seemed so familiar. Like I've seen it all already...

Claire's arrival had rattled him a bit, but it was hardly comparable to what he'd just gone through. He put his thoughts to rest as he looked up at her. His expression remained vacant as he studied her face for a moment. He was absolutely sure of it now, it was indeed Claire that he had seen. And that likely stood for Charlotte and Morgan as well. Finally, he smiled, giving her the answer to the question she'd asked. "Ah.. Claire," he said, his voice still a little shaky as he continued to acclimate himself back to the world of the living. "I suppose you would be right in saying I was a little shocked when he set upon me," he said. "If the Queen asks though, tell her I almost died. Her Majesty might reconsider her assumptions and give me some compensation," he added, his smile turning into an uncharacteristic grin.

He struggled to stand up still feeling weak both mentally and physically. He leaned onto Claire as he continued to catch his breath. "Forgive me Lady Claire, I don't mean to be a bother," he huffed, returning to his more formal mode of address. "Thank you for checking in on me. I take it our healers are occupied? I think... I think I'd like a once over," he muttered. "I take it the battle has been won though?" he asked, looking off in the distance at the pack of wyverns that had congregated, and the group of Owen's entourage that accompanied them. Wyverns huh... It seemed Belial wanted him to be absolutely certain of the truth in what he'd seen.

The old man's words echoed in his head once more.

"Once yer see the truth, yer want to get closer to it, only to find that it's far away."

Not so far for now.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angus pats Emily on the back--the concern was welcome, but ultimately fruitless. He dismounts, and finds to his surprise that he can still stand. No axe, no horse, no word to the mage, Angus takes short step after long towards Laudine. [she's right likely to stab me], the knight admits to himself... not that it changed his feelings.

Angus unloads!

The boy Kearney steps to Serge's side. The proper thing, he knew, was to wait until Laudine answered the Prince, but Angus heard enough on his way; with any talk of divine justice, there really wasn't any time to spare. Nothing to hide.

"I killed Ywein." Somehow, he could meet Laudine's eye. Somehow, he didn't cry. "I was in command. I struck him down. I buried him there." Angus made no attempt to really explain himself. The details didn't matter, they never did; even to a charitable ear, Angus wouldn't dare evade culpability. That holy rider would not be shamed.

All this talk of killing a man Cass hadn't ever heard of was worrying to her. What was more worrying was when Angus walked up, and spat out his claim. Cass, confused, and moderately more worried, looked between Owen, Angus, and this woman.

"Angus, who? Who did you kill? And why didn't you tell any of us?" The woman was furious, that much was plain to tell now that Cass was up close. It must've been someone important to this Deiran mercenary... I'm not quite sure why we should care, but they did help us at the end of that fight, so they can't be all bad. Cass folded her arms, gently caressing her recently healed burn. What was to happen, then? To Serge, and more importantly, to Angus? This is a wild land, and Angus wouldn't kill someone without good reason... I'm sure you're upset, but that is the risk of being a mercenary, is it not?

Edited by Nanami Touko

Shiny Diamonds

Quite the crowd had gathered around Laudine, both Owen's group and her own soldiers. Laudine listened intently to Serge, Owen as well as Angus, her eyes darting between them as they spoke. There was an awkward silence after Cass arrived, a void where no words existed for several seconds... although the time dragged on incredibly slowly.

"Do not mention the name Niko. The man chose to save himself instead of try and aid the escape of his former allies. Your trinket is legitimate... but how it was obtained was not." Laudine growled, stabbing her spear into the ground beside her. "The attack was sudden, the guild was thrown into panic as men and women were slaughtered one by one. Very few of us were able to survive. Beyond myself and my brother Ywein... and Niko and his underling, I know nobody who survived. It took months to rebuild the Reliants to its former glory. Ywein did not stop until we were able to stand once more. King Olaf was able to kindle our fire, helping us rise from the ashes."

Next was Owen, taking a few seconds to visibly quell her fury, she addressed the prince next.

"Queen Ethel of Raewald has been plotting to attack Myrcia and then move through to Deira. Ordinarily, both armies are of similar size... so she sought to recruit Wyke to tip the odds in her favour. We managed to intercept correspondence between your country's leaders and Raewald, confirming King Olaf's suspicions. Our diplomats have been killed, our messengers intercepted, there is clear evidence to suggest that Raewald and Wyke have been scheming together." she explained, still shooting the odd glare at Angus. "Our task was to obtain Rhongomiant, which originates from Deira... however, the strange bird rider managed to steal it away, and we must reclaim it. Although you are the prince of an enemy nation, there is no honour in capturing you here, all I desire is to retrieve the holy spear and avenge my brother."

That left Angus, who managed to reignite her fury simply by existing in the immediate vicinty of Laudine. Stepping towards him, Laudine looked down at the scruffy noble, snarling as she bared her teeth. Emily and the remaining reliants had gathered around Serge, fearfully dreading Laudine's response.

"You strike my brother down and buried him as you would a dead dog?" Laudine barked, stepping further into Angus' personal space. "Is that all you have to say? Why would you slay such a noble man, and to treat it so casually! Have you not lost someone close to yourself? My brother's death is on your hands... and an eye must be traded for an eye." Laudine stepped back, returning to address Owen. "I desire Rhongomiant... and vengance for my brother. I shall take one of these so called Reliants in exchange, thus balance will be restored and I will allow you and your people to continue onwards."

The riders above circled the group like vultures, easily a good two dozen have swarmed around Owen's party. Numbers were not on their side.

[spoiler=BEXP]

Owen gains 51 BEXP!

Owen grows to level 13!

(43 15 60 58 79 7 29 54)

HP up!

Strength up!

Skill up!

Luck up!

Cass gains 24 BEXP!

Cass grows to level 14!

(41 88 45 33 53 93 42 25)

HP up!

Resistance up!

Angus gains 1 BEXP!

Claire gains 99 BEXP!

Claire grows to level 14!

(40 31 65 78 79 51 89 36)

HP up!

Luck up!

Resistance up!

Adele gains 57 BEXP!

Adele grows to level 14!

(22 2 8 58 93 16 45 33)

HP up!

Strength up!

Magic up!

Serge gains 196 BEXP!

Serge grows to level 13!

(32 44 35 74 35 74 45 48)

HP up!

Strength up!

Speed up!

Serge grows to level 14!

(11 60 92 25 14 99 39 43)

HP up!

Skill up!

Speed up!

Defense up!

Emmet gains 176 BEXP!

Emmet grows to level 13!

(67 74 30 47 21 4 81 15)

Magic up!

Skill up!

Speed up!

Resistance up!

Emmet grows to level 14!

(8 33 58 36 40 84 6 4)

HP up!

Strength up!

Skill up!

Speed up!

Defense up!

Resistance up!

Sidney gains 7 BEXP!

Sidney grows to level 14!

(11 48 8 67 80 50 36 16)

HP up!

Magic up!

Luck up!

Resistance up!

Alain gains 100 BEXP!

Alain grows to level 13!

(79 23 45 16 61 33 63 60)

Magic up!

Luck up!

Freya gains 109 BEXP!

Freya grows to level 13!

(11 65 25 83 52 2 16 70)

HP up!

Luck up!

Defense up!

Freya grows to level 14!

(28 58 67 31 14 48 29 20)

HP up!

Skill up!

Speed up!

Defense up!

Resistance up!

Marcus gains 180 BEXP!

Marcus grows to level 13!

(62 0 92 16 34 92 15 93)

HP up!

Strength up!

Skill up!

Speed up!

Defense up!

Marcus grows to level 14!

(73 23 72 85 29 77 9 64)

Strength up!

Speed up!

Luck up!

Defense up!

Edited by Shin

Cass knew nothing of this. This woman, her demands, her brother, how 'holy' he truly was. They were mercenaries making demands of royalty! Foreign land or not, it perturbed her in a way she'd almost forgotten. Cass had no grounds to speak on the subject at hand, but this woman was not about to muscle her way into their group and act as if she was some God sent presence that could intimidate who she wished. She pushed herself between this Laudine and Angus, glaring back at her. "He is my mess to discipline. And he will be dealt with. Do not overstep your bounds, mercenary. You will deal with Serge and his 'Reliants'."

Cass glared back at Angus, and then towards Serge, finally back at Owen. "What do you wish to do with the spear, brother? I didn't even see the man who gave it to you, and I've never heard of it, either. If a mercenary and the spear are all she wishes for, I do not find this such a bad bargain." Cass was feeling pretty tense, and right after a battle. She was glad her first instinct had been to find Emmet and get herself healed, else she wouldn't be of much use, right now.

Seeing how rattled the diplomat was after his awakening earned him a concerned frown from Claire, even if he rose to his feet much faster than she'd done in Magon. At least that was a good sign? His sense of humour seemed to still be in tact too, causing her to shake her head in bemusement.

"You don't need to worry about that." she assured him, slowly helping Alain to his feet. "I think we should have a healer free..." She threw a glance over to the rest of the group, glancing over the wyverns to focus on the scholar instead. "Emmet!" she called, completely oblivious to the happenings of the Reliants.

Serge stepped forward. "What do you mean 'vengeance'? Wasn't it you that said death wouldn't bring the justice your brother would have wanted! Was that a lie?" His heart was pounding even faster. His blood was pumping. He was getting angry. He did this to protect his men and now this lady decided that-

Everything stopped in his body. He turned to princess Cassandra, unable to believe what he heard from her. She openly suggested, in front of him, to willing let one of his men die. His hand turned into a fist. So that's how it is...We're just something to dispose of so long you aren't affected... He grit his teeth, and turned to face Laudine once again. "You told us that I was to lay down my weapons, and now you want one of the lives of my comrades? There must be some way we can come to an understanding! No one. Needs. To die."

Scarlet landed on the ground, and sat herself down. Showing a certain flippant take on the new situation, and letting Marcus dismount. Upon his feet hitting the ground it became abundantly clear that Marcus was everything Laudine wasn't. Short, thin, and generally lacking in distinguishing characteristics. He kept his face clean-shaven, his brown hair short, and his eyes were a shade of brown so common they might actually have been dirt-colored. On the whole he looked ridiculous standing next to Scarlet who sharply contrasted him on seeming every turn. Her fur snow-white, her feathers scarlet red, and both her scaly legs and beak were black. Even their demeanors contrasted one another, Marcus all business, and Scarlet without a care in the world.

Marcus turned his gaze and narrowed his eyes at Laudine, "I'll not have you insulting my honor, mercenary." Mercenary curling from his lips like a slur, "Rhongomiant was given to me by Duke Herman, so do not say I took it. I am a knight, not some petty thief." Tilting his head slightly he took a step closer to Owen and lowered his voice, "I would not give her that spear Good Prince Owen. Though she may have helped us with the bandits she is still from Deira. Such a powerful weapon falling into enemy hands...I'm sure you could see the repercussions as well as I." After his warning he'd remembered his manners, "If you would have my advice of course, Prince Owen. Anyway Duke Herman wanted to me to stay with your group, and it is my duty as a knight to fulfill such a request. As such I shall be leaving to see how the man who was felled is faring." With that final word he turned to move away from the spectacle growing around the group of wyverns. I must apologize and offer my help to that man. It was my inaction that got him felled.

Surprisingly the man was already awake, "Hello, my name is Marcus, and the colorful gryffin following me is Scarlet. I'll be joining Prince Owen's group, and came to apologize. You see, I was in the area for a while and merely watched as you fell. I let my caution turn to cowardice because of a few archers, and you could have been killed." Avoiding this new man's gaze he finished, "Please, forgive me. I promise to make this grievance up to you." Hopefully that was satisfactory.

Again, with more of this. Diera invading Wyke, familial vengeance? On top of everything else, everything else, piling on and on, Cass coming over with her dress burned away and her arm scarred, stepping in front of Angus. Adele tried to recall what she had been told earlier, another group claiming to be the Reliants? Why was this coming up now, why was any of this coming up now? Storming towards the gathering, fuming to match her bright red locks, Adeltrudis came right up to this Laudine, planting herself between the so-called Reliant and Princess Cassandra... despite only coming up to the woman's chest at best, Adele didn't feel the least bit intimidated, though her current anger might have played a part in it... regardless, she felt fully ready to deck this colossal woman if she made any sort of move, as illogical as that might have been.

"Who in Belial's underworld do you think you are? First we're dragged about this bloody wasteland by some accursed wizard, split up and sent on a fucking worthless fetch quest, where I come back to find that the Reliants I hired for protection got scrambled up with another group by the same name, after the original two I had spoken with had already gone and ditched me!" Adele began, having already pressed her finger accusingly against Laudine's chestplate, by some sort of miracle having pushed the much larger woman back several inches by this point already.

"A group of Reliants that had supposedly engaged them due to what, an attack on Deira from Wyke? We were to go to Raewald to hear of Queen Ethel's plight, as she had claimed the opposite, and most certainly we had not reached a decision one way or the other! Faff, bull excrement, a fairy tale made up by whatever corrupt wheelhouse you call a government, to say that we had plans to attack Deira! Your brother, the leader of that pack as it would seem, attacked a group of diplomats moving to rescue the Captain of the vessel they had traveled in, separated on the beaches by ballista fire. And in battle he was slain, as is a soldier's lot." Adele continued, pressing Laudine further in her anger. Perhaps unwise, but wisdom did not triumph over rage this day.

"And now you dare, DARE come to me, howling of injustice at the loss of your brother in a battle that only came to pass due to falsely flagging a peace mission as an attempt to invade Deira? Demanding recompense of not only this lance, of which I couldn't care less, but of one of the men that I've hired, only because they were skilled enough to best your brother in battle, to die? Do not lift yourself or your kin so high to think that taking loss on the field is such a high burden. I too have lost a brother, one of more clout and honour than you could ever imagine. To think that he, or you, would even be worthy of kissing the ground Theodore walked upon would be an insult to his grave, yet you think yourself so special! Were you Deirans not such warmongers, that now I hear you've even laid siege to Wyke herself, perhaps your brother would be alive!" Adele finished, taking a moment to breathe, her face still deep red in her rage.

"I've grown sick of it, tired! Of these curved pitches and of these threats! Are there any more Reliants I should know about, before you get out of my Engel damned face?! Because I'm frankly out of patience for these shenanigans, and if one more set of them comes to me with more of this worthless folly, I feel as though I might explode!"

Edited by Ether

"Ah..." Cass was... At quite the loss for words. Adele was normally one to intervene, but... For others. Not for herself. This... Was new. It was exciting, and a bit confusing. Cass would normally try to follow up, but... Well, she felt belittled, and in no way wronged for it. It was as if Adele had managed to release all of the group's current worries in one fell swoop, and press this woman for important answers. Ones that Cass had not thought of. Perhaps I truly was intimidated.

All Cass had the courage to do was to reach out and grasp Adele's unoccupied hand, squeezing it tight, and watching her and Laudine both. Now this... This was real tension. And Cass didn't know who was about to cut it.

Claire looked at the new arrival in utter confusion. In a weird way his actions reminded her of Ceirch - only foreign and less grounded in reality. Either way she'd been more or less ignored by the Toulese, which was kind of irritating considering she was basically propping Alain up on her own while this whole heartfelt speech took place.

"Why are you here exactly?" she interrupted, getting straight to the point. "You said during the battlr that Wyke was under attack - what exactly hap-" Adele chose that moment to begin arguing back. Perhaps that was a mild way to put it, as her words carried far enough for Claire to still hear the conversation clearly. Listening in silence until Adele finished, Claire began to suspect that she was in the completely wrong place. Well, someone needs to look after Alain, but... Watching the sky now with baited breath, she was starting to expect that the battle wasn't quite yet finished.

Edited by SB.

Alain's gaze continued to linger towards the group of wyverns--those on the ground, and those that circled above. He thought to question Claire about them and their purpose. Although, he already knew half of the answer. He didn't know her name, but the woman he'd seen, the commander presumably, had introduced herself and her group as the Reliants. He didn't doubt it either, since the last group of wyverns he'd run in to had been part of the "Reliants" as well. The fact that Deiran mercenaries, and this many of them, were out prowling Magonsaete this close to Raewald's border was certainly interesting. Ywein had said something about a wizard, and the description seemed to fit Malaphar, but did this group have the same mission?

But before he could ask Claire, Alain's attention was caught by the man who had just descend, and the beast stationed alongside him--a griffin as it were. The name sounded familiar, and he recalled reading about them at some point, but this was the first time he'd seen one, and this close up no less. It was a strange creature to be sure but perhaps it's rider was stranger still. "Ah, I see..." he said flatly, still keeping his gaze fixed on the griffin. Truthfully, he was killed, and knowing that he could have lived if not for this man's cowardice left him feeling conflicted about the whole situation. That said, Marcus seemed as though he was truly shamed by his actions, or rather, lack thereof. He sighed. He'd gotten a lot out of his death, odd as it was to admit so perhaps it was for the best that this man hadn't intervened. It was his own carelessness and inadequacy that had led to his demise anyhow, and he couldn't say he would have jumped in were the roles reversed.

Claire was the first to speak however, and she brought up something very interesting. Wait, wait... Deira attacked Wyke? Already? He wasn't a tactician, but it seemed ridiculous that Deira would attack Wyke before Wyke even agreed to side with Raewald. It was the Queen's hope that they would, but there was a chance that they would decline in the end. This was basically Deira making their choice easy. What sort of game are they playing at here?

"Marcus, was it? I can't fault you for worrying about your own safety before that of a stranger. It's human nature to do as such, and I... managed to not die. So there's that I suppose. If you feel so indebted though, perhaps we can arrange something to clear your conscience at a later time, but there's another more important matter to attend to here that Lady Claire has brought up..." he said, opting not to continue his sentence, quieting himself, instead, to listen as Adele's proclamations reached full volume.

"Lady Claire, it might be best if you attend to your Prince now. I fear the situation might get out of hand soon, and regretfully, I'm not feeling in a position to fight. And it's probably best their commander doesn't find out who I am. I'd hate to have a brush with death twice in one day," he muttered. All things considered, he had been complicit in Ywein's death, and to top it off he was the diplomat managing relations between his own country and Wyke. He was painfully aware that being in the enemy commander's presence would mean he might be seeing Belial again sooner than even the demon himself might have anticipated.

Even with the woman and Adele's anger exuding, Owen's expression remained stern, insular to the situation. He had enough worries already with Malaphar after him. The courier's earlier words were imprinted in his mind and he couldn't help but feel wronged. Behind the mask of diplomatic patience, despite how this woman grieved for her brother, he felt little empathy.

"Miss Laudine, I will need you to grant me two more answers." Owen interjected, having felt like the conversation has been derailed enough. The mercenaries' struggles, Angus' murder, Adele's ire... they were tangential to the picture the prince perceived. "You call me the prince of an enemy nation. Yet, as it stands, Wyke has not joined this war, we have not aided Raewald with a single soldier." He paused, looking to his vassals, and then raising his head to meet the woman again. "If Deira's messengers were intercepted and ambassadors were killed, they were before even reaching our shore: As far as I was concerned, Deira remained silent. The only explanation I can see to that was Raewald, somehow, intercepting all of your king's attempts at diplomacy. Would you claim that the messengers and diplomats we sent were also silenced by them, then? That is my first question."

He paused, his face never changed, it was somewhat unsettling, at that point. "Is it true that the kingdom you hail from has invaded mine?" He paused, his stance was relaxed, but his eye was trained on the woman, expecting any reaction at that point. "You are just a mercenary, but from your words, know a lot about Deira's actions, so I'd hope to be answered truthfully. I've no intention in cooperating if Deira has already attacked Wyke, you can forget the lance and the tribute for your brother's death. If you value peace, leave and tell King Olaf he should speak to me, we have made no alliance with Raewald yet, but this distresses me."

Eyes of a Cat

"Did Ywein need to die? You claim it was a misunderstanding, but your words convince me not. You break one link in the chain of the Reliants, you bring harm to us all." Laudine retorted, unimpressed by Serge's attempt to diffuse her. "Do not even pretend that you understand what Ywein would have wanted. This vengeance is for myself and the true Reliants. If you claim to be a Reliant, surely you must understand the value of the bonds between each member... or did you only choose to carry the parts of our legacy that appealed to you. Your people took my brother from me, whether the battle were fair or not... I am entitled to respond."

Adele's force almost impressed Laudine, the mercenary actually waiting until Adele had finished to respond. However, that was where the courtesy ended. Stepping forward and reclaiming her ground, Laudine stood fiercely, her hand primed to raise her spear. Owen's words were enough to bring her back to diplomacy, his calm tone returning decency to the conversation. "You speak boldly for one in such a vulnerable position, I give you that much, Lady. However, do not try and take the moral high ground. We have proof of Wyke's treachery. Letters between Queen Ethel and King Oswald, General Gringolett, Earl Valter... Duke Herman. Letters with seals, do you claim coincidence over what my own eyes have seen? Your country schemes with Raewald... both wish to take down Deira for their own gains. From what I know, none of our diplomats have returned from their journeys to Wyke... nor have any of Wyke's ever reached us. We have word of Raewald readying their forces and awaiting aid from Wyke. I cannot speak for my King, but leaving ourselves open to an assault from Wyke would be fatal for Deira."
The dig at Ywein and mention of Theodore was another nail in the coffin, Laudine needed to pause briefly and steady her spear arm. It appeared the temptation to skewer Adele was difficult to fend off. "And what of your brother? Did you simply allow his killers to roam freely, did you allow them to escape with no consequence? Would you allow his killers to go unpunished!" she roared. "Would you let them live knowing that they had taken away such a precious person in your life and continue with their deplorable deeds? Would you not change fate if you were able to turn back time?"

"I have not seen nor heard of any such letters, and even were they to exist, they are of no consequence. Prince Owen has been named regent, his word alone is what prompts Wyke to war, no general, no noble, not even my own father can sway that. That you would invade our homeland, that Deira of all nations would dare speak of treachery and want of conquest? I would laugh, were I not so disgusted." Adele replied, not backing down as Laudine attempted to regain her ground, the two women's breast plates pressed against one another and grating, steel against steel. At the moment Laudine began to reach for her spear, which had been stuck into the ground, Adele flourished the axe she still held in her hand from the battle, pressing her advantage.

"Had I known who had taken him, of course I would have acted. I curse every day, every moment that I cannot take action to correct those who took him from this world. I cannot fault your anger, but to think that I would stand aside, and let you take another brother from me in your vengeance, this time one not of blood but of arms, is an insult! I can see you tremble, see the rage in your eyes, in your frame. Go ahead, pull your lance that you've stuck in the earth, but make no mistake, Laudine, Commander of whichever of your hundreds of pods of Reliants there may be, I will relieve you of your lance arm before you've a chance to use it. Try if you will." Adele announced, nacht at the ready. It was no idle threat, the sharp blade of her axe more than capable of rending a rider's arm clean off at the shoulder in far less time than it would take to ready a lance. Any threatening movement would do.

"What she says is true." Owen quickly added, following his fiery friend. "My word alone moves the kingdom of Wyke now. If you and your king already think of us as treacherous and enemies, I say there's no point to any of this. If you insist to call us a foe, conspirers with Raewald, where I have not once spoken with them as prince regent, I'd rather you leave and think it over, or take what you wish by force. Just understand that your actions will reflect on Deira."

"Pah!" Sidney snarled from her magic wounds, but the other man surrendered not long after. Still upset from the battle, she approached the man that Escablor tied up and punched his shoulder. "That's for your ice spell. What are we going to do with our captured mage friend here?" she asked, before turning back to the rest of the group, who seemed to be in... a different predicament. Oh. "What is all of this foolishness?" she inquired, catching mostly the tail end of the conversation, leaving the mage with Thomas, who was probably better for restraining him should he try anything anyway. "Your assistance in dealing with them more quickly was appreciated, but your demands are not." She reached her hand towards the Zodiac Claw, as it being useful was seeming quite likely. "This... open assault of Wyke is not the same as not leaving yourselves open to attack, either. While you insult other nations' honor, an assault based off of intercepted intelligence from unofficial word is rather treacherous. Are you truly in a moral position to speak down on us?"

"I have stayed my tongue, mercenary," Cass finally spoke, "but as we speak, it is your word against the word of Prince Regent of Wyke. If these letters exist of such treachery, produce them. If such proof exists, then show us, but as it stands, it is the word of a lowly, second rate mercenary, versus that of my brother. Even were he not a prince, even were he just a common citizen, his word carries more than yours ever will." Cass couldn't stand this woman speaking down to them like she was some holy creature sent from on high. It did more than that, it disgusted her. Burns or not, pained or not, Cass readied her axe as well.

"My brother speaks wisely! Think before your next action, Laudine, mercenary of Deira, leader of the 'Reliants'." She spoke the woman's titles with ire, her continued rage and attitude pressing Cass' own. "If we come to blows, you will die here. Even if we are to perish along with you, your entire company will join us. Can Deira afford to lose you, and your brother, with your invasion at hand? If it can, then by all means: Strike! See what comes of it. You're sure of yourself. And so are we." Cass felt like she was echoing Adele, weaker and with less force, but her point was struck all the same. With Deira invading, Cass was sure they needed all they could get, especially if these warriors were so revered and lauded.

Twitch. Flinch. Swing. Do anything you wish. I had found your attitude palatable at first, but your aggression, this foolish desire for revenge... Now I find you as barbaric as these bandits-- wait Valter, Gringolett?

"Hold on!" Things switched pace. "Owen, she's lying!" How could she have forgotten that? It was so important! "I was privy to a private conversation between Gringolett and Valter! They had no idea I was in the room, and both of them spoke of preventing war. Avoiding a continent wide conflict... Those were his words! And yet she speaks of secret war letters? I believe someone is trying to set us all up..." These letters couldn't exist, why would they suddenly go back on their word? It made no sense. There was also the matter of who had been spying on the conversation; someone had rustled the curtains after they had left. I could understand an enemy of Wyke trying to sabotage the country, but what do they gain of all three countries going to war? Magonaete is too disorganized... Could it be Wihtwar? Myrcia...? Ugh, I hate not knowing things.

Edited by Nanami Touko

Sacrifice the life of a reliant. That hardly seems fair. Emmet glanced at Serge. This was it. Serge's dislike of him would surely come to a head here. Their 'fearless' leader would no doubt use this as a chance to dispose of what he viewed to be a troublesome underling and a threat to his authority. Emmet gripped his bow. He wouldn't take it lying down. Pinaka would slay as many of these wyverns as he could manage before his body was cold...And maybe, just maybe, if it came to that, Cass would be empathetic enough to revive him.

At that moment Claire called out to him. What is it? Things are serious over here. Though, perhaps it would be wise if I do make myself scarce. He turned and quickly glanced at where the mage was standing. What he saw made his entire body freeze. Hairs standing on end. He was shocked unlike he had ever been shocked before. The wyvern riders, the sacrifice, even the vial. All of them vanished from his mind as he saw the figure of Alain, alive and seemingly no worse for wear. He walked towards them with a quick stride. He had to actively resist running. "What the hell!...What are you still doing alive?" Could it be...was this diplomat hiding a vial of his own all along? Regardless, Emmet would get to the bottom of this.

Edited by Jotari

Claire shot Emmet a confused look after seeing his reaction. "Magical weapons don't seem to be up to much." she stated. It looked like her countermagic was much better than Alain's, but if he was caught by surprise that was another reasonable explanation. "Just give him a look over, Emmet." she told him, easing herself free as soon as she felt like the patient was steady. And he was urging Claire to leave him be now anyway, so...

"I'm going over to see them." She nodded in agreement, taking one last look over the diplomat. She couldn't see any injuries, which was surprising but good to know, so she figured that he'd be alright after some rest and a check up. "Take care of yourself, Sir Alain." she warned, before hurrying towards the gathering crowd near Laudine. This was too important to miss.

Look out

Adele's axe was right against Laudine's arm, metal against metal in a tense standoff. Cass' threats only added to the fire. "You truly believe that you would be able to penetrate my defenses with such a meager weapon? You dare risk the lives of all your allies with a foolish threat?" Laudine retorted, remaining still for the moment. "A direct battle would end poorly for both our sides... especially your own. Deira's forces outnumber Wyke's greatly, my squadron matters very little in the grand scheme of things. What are you trying to prove with such provocation?"

Owen and Sidney however intrigued her far more, enough for her to relax her posture. "If you truly are messengers of peace, you cannot afford to fall here. There appears to be a treacherous root to the conflict between all three nations." she replied, focused on Owen. "Prince Owen, I wish to believe you would not lie so boldly to me, can you swear to Engel that you speak the truth and have no part in the schemes that are taking place? If you can promise me your words are not false, I shall return to Deira, and find explanation for the discrepancies. I am owed vengeance for my brother's death, but it would be dishonourable to seek it in the current situation. The truth is far more vital than any minor victory. "
The Reliants around Laudine didn't appear happy, their thirst for vengeance and battle seemed greater than that of their leader. Raising her arm, Laudine silenced them with a simple wave.
"Stay put, my Reliants." she commanded, her powerful tone echoing across the plains. "If their leader is genuine, we have far greater issues than simply a stolen spear."

"What a fool. You began this, and then ask us why we're angry. Idiot..." Cass huffed, looking at Owen. "There must be something going on, Owen. I swear Gringolett and Valter had such a conversation, in Father's room, no less. Every country involved here has enemies, but what do they gain by sending us to war? What's the outcome for them? To weaken us, make it easy to swoop in and take it all for themselves? It seems such a grand scheme for something so base..." Of course, the other option was that someone just wished to see Wyke, Deira and Raewald all burn at each others throats, but that was just plain barbaric, had no course, no end point, no reason.

So let her arm lax as Laudine commanded her forces to pause, tugging gently on Adele's hand. "In any case... We can not be halted here for personal reasons when the fate of our countries are at stake with this meeting. If there's treachery afoot, then Owen is not foolish enough to drink from the queen's cup... We will return to Wyke with haste and settle this. I am sure Owen will do the same, but I will swear, as well, to Engel, that we have spoken the truth. Find your vengeance at a better time." Cass' tone was still incredibly annoyed, but the woman had disengaged her own anger; it would have been unfair to continue her own, after tempers had finished flaring.

Edited by Nanami Touko

"In Engel's name," Owen affirmed, "There is no deceit in my words. Wyke has not prepared for war under my orders. May Engel strike me down if I am speaking falsehoods." He stood, boldly, his sight set on the wyvern rider. How much is each side responsible for this deceit? Perhaps even Malaphar... Knowing the wizard's manipulative nature, Owen wouldn't be surprised, feeling a chill in his gut. For certain, I need to speak to Queen Ethel and King Olaf.

The prince looked at Cassandra, managing a nod as she spoke her words. "Something is afoot, for certain. Now I wonder how deep this goes..." He spoke under his breath.

It seems that Owen had managed to end all of this through diplomacy, at least for now. An impressive feat, though one expected of the Prince regent. Removing her axe from Laudine's arm, Adeltrudis stepped back, not wanting to be close to this rider any longer, her visage still set into a scowl.

"I'll respect your confidence, at the least. But I think it not so foolish, your men were already poised like vultures, and were you to swing, any one of us could have been in range of your strike. I could not allow that chance." Adele replied adamantly, not saying any more, her lingering anger more likely to spark an attack at this point than anything else... somewhat acceptable when an attack seemed imminent regardless, but she would not squander Owen's good work.