Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 3 Reunion

Shin

"Hm...That's a good question." Serge looked around. There were several buildings that he could use, but one specifically stood out to him as a place that they could meet up. There was a sign to the left of the door that read 'The Farmer's Boot'. Serge pointed to it specifically. "We can meet up at that Tavern later, perhaps around sunset. Maybe earlier if things go well." With that, he placed his hands in his pockets and walked over to the Prince. "If you don't mind I'm gonna go look around and see if we can't get a few jobs for us. It's the least we could do, methinks."

Edited by Dandragon

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A tavern. Sounds good to me."

Emmet left Serge to seek out accommodation while Emmet headed to the market district as planned. There he encountered two familiar faces. One of which was Claire. He had barked some words at her as they faced off against Malaphar but they had yet to have a real conversation after he lost his temper with her a few days ago. But the street was small and he couldn't exactly leave without saying something. Especially since she was with Cass and the princess was one of the few people Emmet felt he was actually on good standing with at the moment.

"Hello ladies. Have you checked out any of the local wares yet?"

"It wasn't his finest moment." she agreed, still wondering how Angus had managed to avoid being chewed out on that. I guess with everything that happened, it just slipped my mind. They'd certainly been busy the last few days.

When the topic shifted towards her (least) favourite scholar, the mage's words were fairly blunt. "He honestly worries me. I don't know anything about him really, even though I've been working with him, aside from his obsession with the vial." And even then, she didn't know what his reasons for seeking it were. The fact that he'd completely lost it a few nights ago was also still weighing into her opinion, but she didn't voice that concern.

And perhaps that was just as well, as that was the moment he chose to speak up. How long has he been there? Claire hadn't even realised that they'd arrived at the marketplace while they'd been speaking, and of course he was already there too. "We haven't." she replied curtly, wondering how much of their conversation he'd overheard. Her face was blank, which was probably the most she could hope for. Hopefully Emmet was on his way out, because she wasn't in the mood to speak to him for obvious reasons.

"Really? He struck me as rather sincere... I spoke with him and Adele after the night I was taken, and he came forward to apologize. I'll admit I was far too harsh on him earlier, but... I wasn't in the right frame of mind, so I hope he'll forgive that. You were working with him? More to do with that vial, I assume..."

What a strange little object they'd gotten themselves wrapped up in. That aside, speak of the devil, as it were. "Hello, Emmet. No, not yet, we were..." Claire responded before her, rather short. Uh... Perhaps there is more to this than just wishing to avoid him... "We haven't, yes... If you'll excuse us, we were going to see if we could take our minds off of the ordeal, and see what the village has in store." She took Claire's hand again, leading them past Emmet, wondering really what was going on, there. "I don't suppose you want to explain that one?" she whispered to the mage.

Made for Walking

Serge's plan made a lot of sense, none of the other Reliants seemed to take any issue with their commander's plan. "I might check the library, perhaps there may be some information to our advantage." Morganna announced, already heading away from the rest of the group. "There's a few things that don't quite make sense."

"We might head to the Blacksmith, boss." Hans added, Lars no doubt tagging along with him. "We'll let you know if there's anything worthwhile. This place is pretty small, the chances are it's going to be slim pickings." With that, Serge had been left with Larissa and Emily, with a tavern to investigate.

The building itself wasn't like the Dank Codger, it stood completely separate, on its own in the village square. Its roof was thatched and its walls wooden. Considering the stone huts that the other tribes used, it was remarkable that a place like this existed in Magonsaete. Serge's followers waited for their boss, making sure he got the Prince's blessings before wandering off.

Bargain Hunting

The market was in the centre of the village, little more than a collection of about a dozen stalls scattered randomly. Many seemed to be selling local produce, clothes and fruits for the most part. The village women had gathered in groups, most of them dressed incredibly simply, comparable to the peasants they'd seen in Alleun's lands. Oddly enough, the relatively well dressed Cass and Claire didn't draw a huge amount of attention, nor did Emmet. If anything, it was a passing glance, with them returning to their own activities.

One stall was a little different though, a young woman had a variety of trinkets and charms laid on the table, standing out among the other commodoties. Giving them a friendly wave, it was clear she wanted to try and catch their attention. It wasn't as if her wares were junk, but they certainly were unusual.

On the other hand, there was another odd stall. The man at it towered over them, his tanned skin glistening in the sun. With a cloth wrapped around his head, he looked rather out of place. However, there was a collection of bizarre weaponry, blades that they'd never seen before. The stall owner stood there stoically, glancing over at the nobles carefully in anticipation.

Mooncalf Junior

Esclabor followed after Angus, bringing Nelon along with him. "You sure that this farmer can really help Ceirch out? I mean, he's a big guy, but he's not exactly a farm animal." Esclabor remarked, urging Nelon's horse forwards. "Not sure how well you know him, but he knew one of your brothers pretty well, Kearney. I can't remember which one though, there were always so many of you."

The farmland seemed relatively well kept, the young crops were arranged in neat lines and cows stood collected in a fenced area. It was something that wouldn't be too alien in a Wykian countryside, not a country full of barbarians. However, about a hundred or so feet into the land, the pair were stopped by a young boy. He couldn't have been much older than seven or eight, he was a reasonably tall lad but his face didn't quite match his size. Pointing a shovel at Angus, he stood proudly.

"Hold it! You can't just go trampling on my pa's farm without a good reason." he barked, standing his ground despite his clear size disadvantage. "If there's two things I don't like, it's people who have secrets and people that don't share them."

He looked back at the cow pen, slightly wary of the beasts. "Just make sure they don't hear, you don't know who they might tell."

May Engel be with you

The chapel was nowhere near as grand as Wyke's cathedral but the structure offered its own charm. Roughly the size of a small cottage, its stone walls were at least clean. There didn't appear to be a service in session, the doors were open but nobody was there to be seen. As Sidney passed into the hall, this became more apparent, the benches were all empty. However, an elderly woman dressed in a yellow robe was knelt outside, tending to some flowers. She had to be somewhere in her sixties, her hair was grey and short, and her face wrinkled.

"There will be a service this evening if you're interested, my dear." she announced softly, gently pulling a weed from next to one of the flowers. "If you have any worries or concerns, I can be with you shortly, I only have a few more spots to sort."

After a few short days of travel, they'd finally arrived at something that looked to be settlement. Hopefully Sir Nelon would be able to find the care he needed at this place, at least enough to last him the journey to Raewald where further measures could be taken. While that was being taken care of however, everyone else had some time off to wander the village as they pleased. Not one to squander the opportunity to do something other than walking, or fighting bandits, he decided to make his way over to the small pond where ducks were gathering. He figured he could use some time to relax before checking out the village proper.

"Princess" Emmet said as the two girls walked away. "I request that you come see me in private later. I have a...proposition to discuss with you. Bring Lady Adele with you if you can too." Without waiting to hear Cass' response, Emmet left to check out one of the strange weapons one of the stall owners was displaying.

Edited by Jotari

One stall was a little different though, a young woman had a variety of trinkets and charms laid on the table, standing out among the other commodities. Giving them a friendly wave, it was clear she wanted to try and catch their attention. It wasn't as if her wares were junk, but they certainly were unusual.

The wave was enough to get Doug's attention. The rider, riding upon his pink pegasus, trotted over to see the selection of wares. The journey to this small village proved uneventful from Doug's point of view, but that would soon change. The village was big enough to prove entertaining. Tonight was the night to make his big move for Decima.

"Greetings," Doug said, though in a low voice, "I'm looking for something to impress a young lady in my party. But let's keep it quiet; this is supposed to be a surprise."

Doug looked back at the crowd to make sure he wasn't being watched by a certain someone.

The humble chapel did not deter Sidney as she smiled at the elderly woman. "Thank you, madame. I'll be sure to keep it in mind to return then." She bowed briefly, looking at the flowers. "They're very lovely flowers. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to talk more when I'm done. I've found myself somewhat lacking direction... I just can't see what Engel has in store for me."

Angus shrugs his shoulders at Esclabor's inquiries; he didn't have a satisfying answer for either, but on he went regardless. "No tellin' what this fellow c'n do for 'im, but we might as well, eh? Doubt 'e's dumb enough t'try somethin' that'll get th'man killed." On his brothers, however, Angus could at least narrow it down. "Prob'ly Fargus, but coulda been Duncan too. Hell, he prob'ly knows whoever it is better'n I do!"

The knight Kearney was used to being the youngest fighter on the field, but seeing this child with his shovel held high brought a warm grin to his face. "We got reason, li'l guy!" Angus scoops up his pet, keeping him at a distance from the boy, before noticing the lad's hesitance towards the cows. He approaches a few more feet, with very gentle steps, crouching before he whispers.

"We'll be needin' t'stay here for a few days, an' our buddy is mighty hurt. I heard your pa is th'guy to ask about both--think we could see 'im?"

Claire was glad to find herself being pulled away from Emmet again, could only shrug at Cass' question at first. It was only after he returned to examining the stalls that she voiced a proper response. "I don't think he's a liar." she agreed, frowning as she watched him from a distance. "But I'm not sure how far he would go to obtain the vial if things come to that." His pleasant persona had been completely shattered in her mind a few days ago, and now instead of finding him just annoying, she wasn't sure if he was a threat or not.

At least he'd left them alone now though. The princess probably didn't have anything to worry about if she met up with Emmet later, especially if Adele was going to accompany her - the scholar trying anything would just lead to disaster. "Either way, erm..." For the first time, the mage took a proper look at the marketplace. Only a few stalls really stood out, with Emmet already in the way of one of them, so that one was out of the picture. "Over here I suppose..." Claire began moving towards the charm stall. Doug was already there, although she hadn't overheard his conversation. She stood a little ways back, trying to work out exactly what the stall was meant to be selling.

Upon entrance to the Magonsaeten village... Owen was rather surprised at how not-strange it was. This seems like it could belong in Wyke... huh. Maybe at some point, that village's culture was influenced. It wasn't that far-fetched, they hadn't gone that far from the coast, and it was near the closest point between the kingdom and the no man's land.

"Thank you." Owen replied to the villager, and nodded as Angus and Escablor made their way towards this Perroy's farm first, leaving it to them. Quick enough, he was addressed by the Mercenary leader, Serge --whose name he asked Adele prior, in an attempt to not forget! "The Farmer's... Boot?" What an exquisite name for a place like that. "Alright, that sounds reasonable, Mister Serge. Go ahead." Although the part about getting a few jobs was confusing --was he not satisfied with the salary he was granted?

Owen shrugged. "I'll take a look around, first. This place seems... a bit better than the rest of the land. We'll meet there." The prince had caught sight of a small shack that took his attention, for whatever reason. It was a bit... standoff-ish, in its own right, though not exactly in a gaudy way. Owen couldn't figure why he felt so curious about it, but he trusted his instincts.

Owen visits the Seer's Shack.

Cass didn't give him a reply, as he walked off, but was curious about what he wanted. Myself and Adele? This... Doesn't have to do with what he knows, does it...? How infuriatingly curious. Claire shared her feelings on Emmet, and it was clear that there was something more. Cass found his obsession troubling, but Claire seemed like she actively disliked the man. She didn't wish to pry further, not right now, and they had shopping to do anyway... Emmet had gone off towards the weapons' stall, so maybe they could speak sooner than later. "Claire, you should check the trinkets. You know more than I do about those magical items and bobbles... I'll see about the weaponry." She nodded, and walked over, sliding up next to Emmet.

"I'll bring her, but... You have to tell me what it is you want to talk about first... Adele was just as distraught as I was about what happened to Owen, and if you wish to make use of us with what you know, I won't allow it... I-I'm sorry if I'm coming across more strongly than usual, but... You're being terribly vague, and Claire has me worried about you, Emmet. So just be straight with me. What do you want with Adele and I? Whisper it if you must be safe about it."

Emmet looked around the street. "I best not say here" he told Cassandra. "It's something we should discuss in detail. And it would be preferable for the two of you to hear it at the same time...Don't worry, I can assure you it's not something bad."

Cass sighed, but nodded, folding her arms. "Fine, fine... I'll remember to meet with you, and bring Adele. But... Please. Nothing underhanded. I'd be saying this to anyone else but Owen or Adele, at this point... Malaphar has shook me far too much." She looked at Emmet, trying to read him, for anything. "I'll believe you. For now."

"Now, let's see about these weapons, hmm?" She approached the stall proper, eyeing up the tall man. "So, what have you for sale, sir? Anything out of the ordinary that might catch my eye?"

Emmet smiled at her. "It's something to cheer you up princess. Something to cheer us all up, I hope. Or maybe not. We'll see. I'm meeting Serge at the tavern later but before then I will wait for you by the pond with the birds swimming in it."

Well... things were... things. Things is definitely a word that could be used to describe how things were. Positives, Owen was back, Cassandra became slightly less akin to a sack of potatoes when she realized this fact, and everyone had somehow survived. Negatives, Baron Nelon was grievously wounded, Scuttle was nowhere to be found during their march, the march itself sucked various descriptors of the testicular variety, and Adeltrudis' own self doubt was cresting. While Owen and those who had been taken had managed to make their way out mostly in one piece, she had failed to prevent them from being taken in the first place, had failed to contribute much of anything in the time they had been gone, and had been absolutely worthless in calming Cassandra over the sudden disappearance of her brother. Needless to say, she wasn't exactly a chipper lumberjack whistling showtunes as she made her way to the tavern after receiving a well-earned pay. Or any other, more relevant metaphor for a relatively well off, so far as state of mind was concerned, individual.

So while the others had begun to explore the town as they reached it, looking for a doctor to tend to the injured Baron's wounds, or anything else of that sort, Adeltrudis sat on a stone outside town, silent as she maintained her nacht, along with the other arms that had come into her possession for the time being. Slowly, methodically sharpening the metal, glints of iron and steel as she honed the hefty axe blades to a deadly edge, her spirit with them. Next time, no hesitation, no second guesses. With sharpened resolve, and steel to match it, next time she would not stand meek and powerless, hiding behind threats. if it was the last thing she did.

"Right then." And then Serge turned to Emily, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Emily, as long as we're here, I'm gonna have to ask you to keep those stories about how great I am to yourself. Like...Just, leave the talking to me. Okay? Okay." The last thing he needed was Emily talking about how he was the second coming of Engel or some shit like that. Hopefully Larissa understood what he was trying to do. With that, he turned and lead the two ladies to the tavern.

Serge visits The Farmer's Boot

Quackity Quack

As one would expect, the duck pond was indeed a pond where ducks lived. It wasn't a large area, the pond itself was perhaps ten feet across, and not terribly deep. There were a few of the villagers pottering around its edges, mostly the elderly and the very young. The only sounds around Alain were the rustling of the bushes, being blown gently by the wind. There was no real sense of danger, if anything it was a little dull - but there were certainly no evil wizards to murder them here.

Nobody had really paid much attention to Alain, but the ducks were gathering around him. There were easily a dozen of the fowls, most of them a murky brown. Quacking at each other, almost like they were giving orders, the ducks slowly started to waddle towards Alain. He was almost entirely surrounded, there were very few narrow gaps in their formation. Had he survived Malaphar only to meet his end by a crack team of ducks?

-

As-salām 'alaykum

The stall owner looked down at Emmet, still with his arms crossed. "Greetings, traveller. I assume you take interest in my wares?" he asked, his accent rather peculiar, like nothing Emmet had come across before. "I am Rashid, I come from a distant land to bring you exotic goods to purchase. If there is something you are unsure of, please do not hesitate to ask me."

He certainly wasn't wrong, the armaments were certainly unusual. Theirs shapes and forms were strange and curved, similar to the weapons of Angelcynn but still very foreign. It was clear that one was a sword and such forth, but the chances were that its swing was different to what Emmet's allies were used to. Rashid was definitely from somewhere far away, but he did not resemble the natives of any country on the continent.

"You are unlikely to find weapons such as these within the countries here." Rashid boasted, taking pride in sharing his culture with Emmet. "Perhaps one day you shall venture forth and find my homeland. It would be a glorious sight to behold."

Rashid's wares are available on the spreadsheet!

-

Love Forecast

The woman seemed almost amused by Doug's request, especially in the manner that he'd made it in. She leaned in close, her face only inches away from Doug's. He could smell the aroma of peaches, most likely coming from her golden locks. "I think I might have something that could help you find your heart's desires." she whispered back, playing along with his self-perceived secrecy. "You look like an honest guy, it'd be a shame if you were too shy to confess to your beloved. I've got all sorts of charms that can help you. Anything from helping you find your true love to making yourself completely irresitable. All you need to do is buy the right one and you'll find the love of your life... love isn't cheap though, what exactly are you looking for... and how much money do you have?"

-

Diet Engel

"Lacking direction? You are a curious girl." the woman replied, slowly rising to her feet. Wincing a little as she stood, the woman gestured towards the chapel. "It would be rude of me to keep you waiting, please do come inside. My poor legs aren't as spry as they used to, I could do with a break from tending the flowers."

The woman stepped towards the chapel, hobbling along slowly. "Engel is a lot more tolerant than most people think. In countries like Deira and Raewald, our lord is portrayed as a powerful overseer... but I've come to see his kind and caring side. His love for all his children goes beyond his desire to punish non-believers. It was only a few years ago that an unusual man helped me realise that. To think, fifty years of following Engel's teachings... to have my eyes opened by a stranger. I hope that more people can see Engel in a different light."

-

The Tiniest Guard

The young boy stuck his spade into the ground, stepping his foot onto its head. "It depends who's asking. My papa doesn't just let anybody take a stroll onto his land. You could be a bunch of chicken stealing barbarians." he replied, almost blissfully unaware of how outmatched he'd be in a fight. "You don't look like you're from around here, none of the bandit tribes dress like you people. Are you from the north? You don't talk like them, you better not be swindlers."

Esclabor wasn't impressed, but his manners were stopping him from just knocking the boy down and walking along. "My friend here is badly hurt." he explained, wondering if he or Angus could convince him to allow them passage. "The sooner that your father can see him, the sooner we can leave. Please, I'll give you anything, just let me get him some help."

He didn't seem to be budging, the boy was rather stubborn, or just enjoyed messing around with the pair. Looking at the pair with suspicious eyes, he leaned forward, almost in a pitiful attempt to try and scare them away. Esclabor turned to Angus, unsure of what to do.

"Your family's big, it could be its own tribe here, don't you know how to shut kids up?" he asked, glancing quickly over at Nelon. "He's pissing me off, but he's our only chance to see that farmer."

-

Sight Beyond Vision

The shack had an odd aura about it. The feeling was not like the dread that Malaphar had taken with him, but an eerie uncertainty that left a strange taste in Owen's mouth. It was rather non-descript from the outside though, it could have been a shed or even an outhouse for all Owen could tell.

Bells chimed as Owen passed into the shack, its interior was rather dark, only lit by a single candle at the table in the middle. The lighting flickered, the shadows of the bizarre decorations dancing across the walls. A woman was sat at the table, her face mostly obscured by her mass of red hair, its tangled clumps sprawling down past her shoulders. Tilting her head up slightly to look at Owen, she stared at him silently for a good half minute before speaking.

"Is there something I can do to assist you... Prince Owen?" she asked slowly, the pause before Owen's name particularly pronounced. "Do you come for advice... or reassurance? The spirits tell me much about you... but what do you want me to hear?"

Seer's Shack revealed!

-

How Dank are your Boots?

Emily nodded her head quickly, taking Serge's words to heart. "It's OK, boss. I'll make sure nobody hears anything about you. It would be awful if people started asking you to become village chief, you're too young to settle down in a place like this." she assured him, taking his hands and shaking them vigorously. Larissa chuckled gently, amused at Emily's continued enthusiasm. If anything, she was glad that someone could remain positive after all that had happened.

Unlike the Codger, there was no doorman at all. In fact, getting inside the Boot was actually very easy. With clean walls and actual lighting, the interior was rather pleasant. Rugs lined the wooden floors and various paintings hung on the walls - there were not even any broken planks or vomit stains, it was an entirely different establishment. It was rather empty however. A few men sat at stools in front of the bar, most of them old enough to be Serge's grandfather... if not older. The bartender was a younger man, most likely Serge's age. Wearing a simple tunic and apron, he was almost surprised to see him.

"Welcome, stranger. I don't think I recognise you... or your lady friends." he laughed, taking a glass to wipe down. "It's a little early for anything too exciting, but you're more than welcome to stay. If you need anything, I'll do my best to help you."

Between the mannerisms and speech of the vendor, Claire soon got the feeling that this conversation was meant to be private and that Doug, whoever his secret love was supposed to be, was probably getting conned. As things were, she was torn between walking away and waiting around a little bit longer in case there was something of value there after all.

Still, she couldn't help but feel curious as to who Doug was trying to impress. As far as the mage knew, Doug had never spoken to the princess and she got the feeling that Adele would eat him alive. Charlotte was pretty, but she was already taken, so did that mean...?

Oh. She felt herself go a little red as she made the connection. It couldn't be her, could it? She turned away a little, not quite sure what to make of this. As far as Claire knew, she was probably the person that Doug had spent the most time with that would fit. Maybe one of the new Reliants was an alternative, but she didn't know them that well.

Her hands began to fidget a little - this whole conversation was making her a little uncomfortable. She honestly had no interest in Doug, and if anything saw him like an wimpier version of Angus personality-wise... although imagining herself in any kind of a relationship with the Kearney was enough to make her cringe a little just at the thought of it.

The mage sighed and glanced back towards Doug. She really hoped that she wouldn't have to say anything to him.

Emmet picked up the bow before him and casually examined it. "These seem like fine weapons" he said. "But I don't think I could use them all that effectively just yet. Perhaps I will go to your country some day and learn the different style. But for now I'll stick to the tried and true weapons of our homeland."

Emmet heads to the Black Smith

Freya sighed with something resembling relief. Though not all was well just yet, the quaint village was still much better than the maniac mage or bandits. And she even had some freedom rather than being bossed around by the nobles. Good luck there... I've had enough lunacy for a while/

Still, even with the choice being her own, she found herself heading towards the guard post here. Perhaps it was a sense of duty instilled in her, or perhaps it was to continue her goals of self betterment.

Or perhaps it was because none of the other party members were headed remotely in that direction and she wanted some fresh air.

"Cheer us up, will it?" Or not. Cass watched Emmet walk away from this Rashid's stand, wondering what it could be that he had planned. She'd find out soon enough, but for now... She began to inspect his slim wares as she asked, going over them. The bow looked odd, the axe looked rather small, but the sword! That was definitely a keeper. She gingerly picked it up, slowly, ready to put it down if there wasn't allowed closer inspection. "This work is beautiful, really. I may have to bring someone to purchase it for themselves, if you'd be willing to wait. I'm an axe wielder, myself, but I'm satisfied with my equipment, currently... Tell me about your homeland, Rashid."

He'd mentioned it as glorious, and Cass was curious enough to pry further. His being completely foreign, even for the entire continent, also piqued her interest.

Angus shakes his head, at once admiring and exasperated by the gall of the farmboy before him. With the shovel in the ground, he is free to set his pet down, shooing him quietly back towards the mounts.

"We ain't swindlers or nothin', I can promise you that. We're from Wyke, in th'east, and jus' passin' through. We do got twenty-some folks an' a half-dozen mounts lookin' for a place to sleep, an' one more who could use some real help." Angus pauses, studying the boy for a few careful moments. Whether he was entirely suspicious or having his fun with them--the Kearney was young enough to remember that the two weren't exclusive--he'd need more than words to persuade him. A few more seconds tick by as Angus rules out possibilities. [Money'd look like a bribe more than anything else, and I'm sure he's ridden horses before...] Finally, a snap of the fingers, as the knight recalled his long days working as a child.

"Tell you what: you take us t'see your old man, an' I'll do all your chores tomorrow. How's that sound?" It really was a better deal than the boy knew; even if the lords didn't march right in, they could just as soon toss a few gold coins to someone from town. Still, despite Angus doing himself a mighty disservice in negotiating... he was perhaps glad, perhaps hopeful. He hadn't yet met anyone living on this continent that didn't want to dance a merry, slippery jig over his corpse. If anything, a day's freedom was Angus Kearney's thanks for a faint spot of comfort after fighting in alien and hostile worlds.

"Well, I appreciate the offer. Truth be told we just had a bad run in with somebody and we're kind of looking for a place to stay. Not just us three. I'm part of a larger group outside." Serge looked towards the door when referring to the rest of his companions. "Granted, we've been told you don't have much for visitors, and I don't speak for everyone, but I'm willing to do some odd jobs around here if only to pay for any room you might have."