What's so girly about Excellus?

Magical Glace

Me neither, it's not like you need to think about it. :awesome:

considering I originally said Polished when I meant Filed, i definitely needed to think about it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? I had no idea that this was even a thing...and I didn't even notice that he was a eunuch...

I think you're taking someone's comment too literally.

As for Iverse/Aversa's comment:

Aversa

Yes, I promised him the Plegian throne in exchange for the Emblem... He jumped at the offer! Well, as much as the fat little piggie could jump... Men are all the same. Learn their ambition, and you have them by the Oho... Well, perhaps Excellus was a bit different in that respect...

Her "control men" sexy gimmick is more exaggerated in English in that regard. That was completely added in about that bit about him being different.

[インバース]そうよ。炎の台座と

宝玉を持ってくれば▼

ペレジアの王様にしてあげるって

言ったら、簡単に転んだわ。▼

ふふ、野心ほど

転がりやすいものはないものねぇ。▼

Edited by shadowofchaos

no

The only localised FE part in term of voiceacting was FE10.

And after checking out the English versions of the cutscenes to this game, I'm glad they did.

I mean, in the German dub, Zelgius and Commander Riker (Ryker?) from Star Trek Enterprise: Next Generation have the same voice actor. How awesome is that?

On topic: Yeah, I also though Excellus was a fat lady when I first saw him, but then I played the game with English voices. And of course, there's Aversa's comment which may or may not be exclusive to the localized versions.

I think you're taking someone's comment too literally.

Aversa

Yes, I promised him the Plegian throne in exchange for the Emblem... He jumped at the offer! Well, as much as the fat little piggie could jump... Men are all the same. Learn their ambition, and you have them by the Oho... Well, perhaps Excellus was a bit different in that respect...

Her "control men" sexy gimmick is more exaggerated in English in that regard. That was completely added in about that bit about him being different.

[インバース]そうよ。炎の台座と

宝玉を持ってくれば▼

ペレジアの王様にしてあげるって

言ったら、簡単に転んだわ。▼

ふふ、野心ほど

転がりやすいものはないものねぇ。▼

Like I said I didn't even notice that much. Also translation please because not everyone understands Japanese. That would be appreciated very much.

I am putting it there as a source to confirm that what I said is true if someone else wants to confirm it.

Since that would be pretty much taking my word for it again if I did the word for word translation on mobile.

It's pretty much the same thing without the "I'm sexy, I control men. Except him, he's not a real guy" omitted.

Just take it at face value. He's just meant to be ugly and creepy.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I am putting it there as a source to confirm that what I said is true if someone else wants to confirm it.

Since that would be pretty much taking my word for it again if I did the word for word translation on mobile.

It's pretty much the same thing without the "I'm sexy, I control men. Except him, he's not a real guy" omitted.

Just take it at face value. He's just meant to be ugly and creepy.

Which is what I thought of him in the first place even without what Aversa said in the english version.

And after checking out the English versions of the cutscenes to this game, I'm glad they did.

I mean, in the German dub, Zelgius and Commander Riker (Ryker?) from Star Trek Enterprise: Next Generation have the same voice actor. How awesome is that?

On topic: Yeah, I also though Excellus was a fat lady when I first saw him, but then I played the game with English voices. And of course, there's Aversa's comment which may or may not be exclusive to the localized versions.

Riker is from Next Generation. He was in one Enterprise episode, but that one is best forgotten.

I don't think I ever even considered he might be female. While I agree that he looks androgynous, IIRC we learn his name immediately, and names ending in -us are almost invariably masculine. (from Latin: Claudius, Lucius, Gaius, Marcus, Sirius, etc.) Same reason I was never fooled by Lucius, either, and he actually looks distinctly feminine rather than androgynous.

I don't think I ever even considered he might be female. While I agree that he looks androgynous, IIRC we learn his name immediately, and names ending in -us are almost invariably masculine. (from Latin: Claudius, Lucius, Gaius, Marcus, Sirius, etc.) Same reason I was never fooled by Lucius, either, and he actually looks distinctly feminine rather than androgynous.

There's Venus, as well as variant spelling of other names like Agnus.

In Japanese, it's Exceli.

There's Venus, as well as variant spelling of other names like Agnus.

Venus is a pretty excellent counterexample, I agree!

Agnus I've never seen as a name (outside this guy). It's a masculine word meaning "lamb", as in Agnus Dei (lamb of god). The woman's name is Agnes... at least usually? I've never seen it spelled Agnus, so I'd honestly assume that if it were spelled that way, it'd be a typo. But I could be wrong.

That said any counterexamples they do exist are rare enough that it doesn't shake my general impression. By naming him Excellus the localizers were giving him a very deliberately masculine name (especially compared to the Japanese version). If they'd wanted him to be gender-ambiguous they could have named him almost anything else (Excella would be a good choice if they really wanted to send mixed signals).

The most girly part of Excellus is that he's not a playable character. o3o

Actually, if you compare the gender ratio of recruitable characters to the gender ratio of unrecruitable enemies, being an unrecruitable enemy is a distinctly masculine trait, comparatively.

Edited by Topaz Light

You know it really helps to pay attention to how Walhart and Cervantes treat him. But its Aversa who very strongly implies it when you fight her with Robin in the chapter at the Table. Its really not the game's, nor anyone else' fault you didnt freaking pay attention to that.

Has anyone ever told you how petulant you are?

In that regard, no. And frankly I don't care because people tend to say whatever they want about me regardless of what I say or how I act.

And to the effect of how Walheart and Cervantes treat the bloke, I saw it as putting an underling in their place, not what you're implying. Same with Aversa. It really didn't come to my attention because I was busy focusing on other things, like defeating said cahracters. Not focusing on throw away lines like that.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

Its still your fault for not catching it, considering "throw away lines" contain a lot of character information in that game. (cuz the writing is pretty piss poor everywhere else and theres no exposition outside of dialogue in the game. Period.) Aversa outright says "If you know a man's weaknesses, you have the by the---Oh! But Excellus was different in that regard." Very strongly implying he had no balls. Walhart treated him like trash because he had a very strong inclination that Excellus was secretly working for the Grimleal anyway, which Walhart was trying to snuff out. On top of that, Walhart is basically machismo incarnate of that particular world, and would look down upon a perfumed froo-froo like Excellus. Which he does.

In that regard, no. And frankly I don't care because people tend to say whatever they want about me regardless of what I say or how I act.

Then never be surprised if no one ever takes you seriously and continues to treat you like a 7 year old spoiled child. Because that is exactly how you act.

And here I thought it was obvious that I was being serious. However it doesn't excuse the treatment I have recieved, even if by my own actions I am percieved as less than my actual age by others who are likely supposed to be my age or older that are themselves acting much younger than they should be.

Why is it that no one reads sarcasm properly?

And here I thought it was obvious that I was being serious. However it doesn't excuse the treatment I have recieved, even if by my own actions I am percieved as less than my actual age by others who are likely supposed to be my age or older that are themselves acting much younger than they should be.

Why is it that no one reads sarcasm properly?

Here's the thing though: you have a tendency to accuse people of things they didn't do and ignore many of their arguments and questions.

As a result, a lot of what you say can be seen as many different fallacies. Some of those fallacies include red herrings, cherry picking, and ad hominem, among others because I don't want to list things too long.

I can bring up examples if you'd like.

You know it really helps to pay attention to how Walhart and Cervantes treat him. But its Aversa who very strongly implies it when you fight her with Robin in the chapter at the Table. Its really not the game's, nor anyone else' fault you didnt freaking pay attention to that.

Has anyone ever told you how petulant you are?

To be fair, despite her behavior, I mentioned it earlier.

And it wasn't in the JP version.

Aversa

[インバース]そうよ。炎の台座と

宝玉を持ってくれば▼

ペレジアの王様にしてあげるって

言ったら、簡単に転んだわ。▼

ふふ、野心ほど

転がりやすいものはないものねぇ。▼

I think you should tone it down a bit, Florina.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I didn't know Excellus was a eunuch until I joined the forums. Aversa's comment confused me, but ultimately I thought she was saying that of all people she manipulated, Excellus was the most pathetic.

It really is a throwaway line, especially since shadowofchaos confirmed it was added during localisation. So, maybe give TheSilentChloey a break on this one?