"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

So, Eurogamer (who has been pretty much spot-on) has published info on the system's insides:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis

It runs at 60% slower clockspeed without the dock, presumably to conserve battery life and better scale to the 720p screen.

Since I know virtually nothing about tech, I turned to OutrageGaf for rough estimates; the most believable ones are pegging it as the handheld being "Wii U+" and it being 3 Wii Us duck-taped together when docked.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Eurogamer (who has been pretty much spot-on) has published info on the system's insides:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis

It runs at 60% slower clockspeed without the dock, presumably to conserve battery life and better scale to the 720p screen.

Since I know virtually nothing about tech, I turned to OutrageGaf for rough estimates; the most believable ones are pegging it as the handheld being "Wii U+" and it being 3 Wii Us duck-taped together when docked.

This video might help you get a better picture Digital foundry are very good at analyzing tech.

Edited by Locke087

• 2 weeks later...

Basically, it's looking like the best dedicated handheld gaming system ever released-- while greatly stepping things up from the Wii U when docked but still being a generation behind.

That's not really a surprise. lol Nintendo doesn't care as much for graphics and power as the other companies do. They care more about gameplay and other stuff that's honestly more important and this is a big reason I've always favored them over everybody else. Screw powerful graphics, if the gameplay isn't good enough, screw it! Go Nintendo!

Only a few more days left for the Switch Presentation. Ghee...I wonder how much of pessimism Nintendo will get after the reveal?

It's Nintendo. Of course they'll get a lot of pessimism.

There's a rumour that Mother 3 will be announced as a VC game during the presentation, but I feel it's a slightly desperate attempt to hope for a possible Mother 3 localization. I mean, I want one as much as anyone else, but I feel there's a low chance of it happening if it hasn't happened yet.

I kind of hope that that doesn't come true. It would probably result in more people begging for FE6 to get the same treatment, and I'd rather have FE4 and FE5. The Jugdral games look like they could be as good as Tellius (I'm aware Jugdral has incest, btw, but it appears to be part of the plot there, so I can let it slide).

Edited by Anacybele

I'm seriously hoping the Mother 3 rumor is real and FE6 is not far behind. Now Nintendo would be able to say that every Smash Bros. character has had their game released worldwide.

But of course, that makes too much sense for Nintendo so I won't hold my breath.

It's Nintendo. Of course they'll get a lot of pessimism.

Don't you think that's a bit unfair considering how Nintendo takes more risks than other companies out there? Heck, they just made Tokyo Mirage Sessions happen!

Don't you think that's a bit unfair considering how Nintendo takes more risks than other companies out there? Heck, they just made Tokyo Mirage Sessions happen!

that's exactly why they're pessimistic Nintendo won't fit into peoples clean little predictable boxes. Nintendo doesn't follow industry trends it tries to create them sometimes it fail, sometimes it succeeds. The people who are pessimistic about Nintendo want them to make something safe and predictable they just want to more powerful PlayStation from them that's all.

That and there remains a group on the Internet who think it's cool to hate Nintendo because they make family friendly products for the most part it because makes them look all "cool and mature" when it actually make it obvious they are children.

Not to say that any of the pessimism is fair, but I think it's hilarious, remember boys and girls Nintendo has been DOOMED since the N64 yet they have remained around despite the internets insistence that they're definitely becoming third-party.

that's exactly why they're pessimistic Nintendo won't fit into peoples clean little predictable boxes. Nintendo doesn't follow industry trends it tries to create them sometimes it fail, sometimes it succeeds. The people who are pessimistic about Nintendo want them to make something safe and predictable they just want to more powerful PlayStation from them that's all.

And yet that bold part there will never happen...

lol, Nintendo becoming third-party? HAHAHAHAHA. Wow, those people who think that really are idiots.

Well technically they just released games on Mobile so they sort of went third party? idk.

I REALLY hope that the Mother 3 as a VC game for Switch is true, and I hope FE6 isn't far behind. I've been practically begging for those for forever! I'd really like it if Nintendo took the Switch's VC and used it as an opportunity to not only bring over all the VC games from the Wii and Wii U, but started localizing older games like Mother 3 and the Japan-only FE's.

There's also a population of gamers that are graphics whores, loves console power houses and high end specs, just because... idk? I think Nintendo has done a really good job with its games, and I've enjoyed its consoles despite being almost always the worst in terms of technical specs, and also despite Ninty doing some mistakes or dumb choices here and there. But their games are so high quality that the experiences are really enriching when you play them. Being the only family and children friendly console is a good niche in the market because mature games are all over the place, specially PC ones.

I have my hopes high with the Switch, and no matter what is revealed, I feel it is a good choice and a good investment, because I'm confident they'll release good games.

In regards of FE, I really wonder if a remake is coming soon and what remake? How will its visuals be? Personally, I want some vivid and colorful illustrations rather than the opaque/dark theme in the recent 3DS visuals.

That and there remains a group on the Internet who think it's cool to hate Nintendo because they make family friendly products for the most part it because makes them look all "cool and mature" when it actually make it obvious they are children.

Not to say that any of the pessimism is fair, but I think it's hilarious, remember boys and girls Nintendo has been DOOMED since the N64 yet they have remained around despite the internets insistence that they're definitely becoming third-party.

Are we talking the actual consoles, or the games? Because Nintendo are consistently safe with the games, while gimmicks with the consoles have been a more recent thing that sometimes work (Wii) and sometimes don't (Wii U). Their games they develop generally don't stray far outside their intended genres, I wouldn't say they take risks any more than Sony or Microsoft.

More or less Nintendo suffers from out-of-date thinking, they want to punish people that give them free advertisement and DMCA fan games wanting to show appreciation. They are held back from traditional company thinking from a design perspective and don't seem "to get" online gameplay at all. These are issues worth criticizing, but I would doubt them becoming third party any time soon.

The industry isn't so flimsy that a company would go under from a single mistake, and Nintendo are in a better position considering they could go through several failed consoles before they felt it.

Edited by Tryhard

Nintendo is basically House Hapsburg: they get their asses kicked again and again, but keep soldiering on in spite of it. Nintendo has survived worse than this, and I think they'll keep making games and consoles for many years to come.

I'd normally think nintendo would be on a bad position, all things considered, but they've apparently made so much money this year that they're probably fine

I'm personally interested on the switch, because i much prefer handheld gaming to playing on a tv or a pc, even if i play games at home 99% of the time, but i don't see it being that interesting to the average gamer. That said, only focusing on a single hardware would probably help fix the terrible droughts nintendo consoles generally have, so it could do well, since games sell hardware.

So yeah, i hope the switch succeeds because it looks really nice for me, but i'm not sure if it will and i'm definitely not buying it until it gets the games i want

Are we talking the actual consoles, or the games? Because Nintendo are consistently safe with the games, while gimmicks with the consoles have been a more recent thing that sometimes work (Wii) and sometimes don't (Wii U). Their games they develop generally don't stray far outside their intended genres, I wouldn't say they take risks any more than Sony or Microsoft.More or less Nintendo suffers from out-of-date thinking, they want to punish people that give them free advertisement and DMCA fan games wanting to show appreciation. They are held back from traditional company thinking from a design perspective and don't seem "to get" online gameplay at all. These are issues worth criticizing, but I would doubt them becoming third party any time soon.The industry isn't so flimsy that a company would go under from a single mistake, and Nintendo are in a better position considering they could go through several failed consoles before they felt it.

I was talking about consoles only, they seem to have a very strong attachment to adding gimmicks to the console where whether it be the 3-D in the 3DS or the forementioned Wii and Wii U. As far as games yeah I would agree they're not much more innovative than Sony. I do think Sony & Nintendo are generally more innovative than Microsoft of the studios Microsoft owns I would say Remedy is the the only one that's truly innovative, I guess the hollow shell of Rare is still trying to figure what the heck they are supposed to be now days.

And yeah Nintendo is completely incompetent when it comes to anything to do with the Internet, and has disgustingly draconic views on copyright, hopefully the Switch will see some small improvements with these but I don't my hopes up for that one... These absolutely big problems that the company I hope has remedied at some point.