The cringiest things from Fire Emblem

CatManThree

I think what we're supposed to assume is that the battle at the Dragon's Table did take place later in Lucina's timeline than the game's. None of the children would be as close to their parents (or mothers at least) if this weren't the case.

It's also true that Lucina even tries to kill Robin at the end of chapter 21, but Lucina doesn't hate male Robin in their supports like she does female. Justify that for me.

I just assumed the only Chrom died in that fight and everyone else left and retreated except maybe Avatar. The Avatar having children contradicts stuff as well.

There's an easy answer for that. If she hates you as male, then you can't waifu her. Female doesn't have that issue since you can't marry her anyways. If I had it my way, I'd have written it so she would have been more hostile to the Avatar as both.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kris seceding their achievements to Marth at the end of FE12.

Jaffar's entire character, backstory and nickname. At least Owain is tongue in cheek. I hear Peri or w/e in Fates is comparably chuuni but she looked kinda outlandish at least, Jaffar is played entirely straight.

I mean for fucks sake look at this

Legault: Well, the Angel of Death. I’ve not seen you in some time.
Jaffar: ……Hurricane…
Legault: I was shocked to see you fighting with this rabble. I never thought to see Nergal’s right-hand man here.
Jaffar: ……
Legault: The Black Fang’s finished, isn’t it. The commander’s dead. The Four Fangs are gone. Everything went crazy after you all appeared… So, how does that make you feel, Angel of Death?
Legault: It’s true… No point in talking to you, is there? It’s just like your friend Sonia said: you truly are soulless.
Legault: You know me. You know my strength. You know how I fight. What are you going to do? You know if you can kill me or not. But you don’t know me at all. What I like, what I dislike. The kind of life I’ve led up until now. You don’t know, and there’s no reason for you to know. To an assassin, it’s all so much useless information.
Legault: There were countless corpses stacked one on top of the other… And there, atop of the bodies, they found a lone infant sleeping… You. You are death incarnate. You feel nothing, fear nothing, desire nothing… You kill. Nothing more. Angel of Death… The perfect name.

Who writes this crap? I mean they try to humanise him with Nino but it just comes off as even more of a joke as a result.

Edited by Irysa

I hear Peri or w/e in Fates is comparably chuuni but she looked kinda outlandish at least,

Her personality's honestly more "gleeful ten-year-old serial killer" than anything, but it's not like that really makes it better.

Edited by Topaz Light

Her personality's honestly more "gleeful ten-year-old serial killer" than anything, but it's not like that really makes it better.

Honestly Peri reminds me of a lot of characters you'd see budding writers make on DeviantArt.

The single most cringy thing for me is that Camilla cutscene in Birtright. Camilla in general is pretty cringy though.

Honorary mentions go to Tellius voice acting, certain Awakening/Fates class designs, Hoshidan royals not being your blood siblings (especially the part in Ryoma support on this), 2nd generation justification in Fates, age changes in localizations, Ike on pedestal in RD, Meg's character and "how can someone this beautiful be a man" (in relation to Lucius/Libra/probably someone I'm happily forgetting).

On fandom things: the entire "Fates localization sucks, boycot the game" movement, certain other localization complaints for other games (about Henry and Kyza come to mind), waifu/husbando/shipping wars taken too seriously (anything to do with Ike/Soren in particular) and the Soleil debacle before Fates came out in English. (Incidentally, I was fairly indifferent towards skinship until the backlash about its removal happened).

I think what we're supposed to assume is that the battle at the Dragon's Table did take place later in Lucina's timeline than the game's. None of the children would be as close to their parents (or mothers at least) if this weren't the case.

I recall something about Emmeryn's attempted assassination in chapter 6 working out in the original timeline, causing the Plegia war dragging out by years and as a result all the events happen later. I'll admit right away that I don't remember this stuff well enough to say if this is confirmed in the game or if it's fandom theory like most of the stuff about Camilla's childhood.

Either way still cringy

To be fair, Cynthia remembers little of her father; her supports with him are about spending time with him, making up for what little time they had together when she was growing up.

If you ask me, that's no excuse. If Cynthia's not Chrom's daughter, her dialogue during Wings of Justice makes more sense. But when she is, she comes across as an idiot. Remembering little of her father or not, she should know her own family history. And as Chrom's daughter, she should know enough about Chrom to know that Ruger's an obvious faker. She would have likely talked to Lucy about Chrom. Thereby knowing about him despite not remembering him. Unfortunately, none of that seemed to be considered during development. Had Chrom and Sumia not have gotten the screentime together that they did, then I would've taken Chrom!Cynthia's dialogue during Wings of Justice as a hint that Chrom/Sumia would be the least likely to be canon among Chrom's and Sumia's pairs. But Chrom and Sumia did get the screentime together that they did. And I can't help but see Chrom!Cynthia's dialogue during Wings of Justice as a blatant continuity error because of it.

Olivia may be another contender for it, too, all because Inigo is the only possible second child of Chrom to mention having the Brand. I quite enjoy Chrom's supports with Olivia (which are unfortunately rushed if they do get married), but the fact that it's only Inigo makes me cringe a lot whenever I decide to think about it. Why give him the interesting detail and not Cynthia, Kjelle, Brady, and Morgan? It's just so unfair.

I did (and still do) suspect that, at some point during development, Olivia was intended to be Chrom's most heavily implied love interest. If that was truly the case, however, then I sincerely wish the devs stuck to that idea instead of giving that role to Sumia. Chrom's interactions with Fem!Robin nonwithstanding. Edited by Just call me AL

If you ask me, that's no excuse. If Cynthia' not Chrom's daughter, her dialogue during Wings of Justice makes more sense. But wjen she is, she comes across as an idiot. Remembering little of her father or not, she should know her own family history, sould know enough about Chrom to know that Ruger's an obvious faker. As Chrom's daughter, she would have likely talked to Lucy about Chrom. Thereby knowing about him despite not remembering him. Unfortunately, none of that seemed to be considered during development. Had Chrom and Sumia not have gotten the screentime together that they did, then I would've taken Chrom!Cynthia's dialogue during Wings of Justice as a hint that Chrom/Sumia would be the least likely to be canon among Chrom's and Sumia's pairs. But Chrom and Sumia did get the screentime together that they did. And I can't help but see Chrom!Cynthia's dialogue during Wings of Justice as a blatant continuity error because of it.

There are a lot of those in Awakening to be honest. Some of which the localization tries to fix, but it still doesn't help too much. It's cringe inducing because the entire premise of the chapter makes Cynthia seem like a complete moron. I mean are you telling me she can't even recognize that NO ONE from her friends' group are recognizable? There's way too many questions brought up here for it to be anything but painful.

I did (and still do) suspect that, at some point during development, Olivia was intended to be Chrom's most heavily implied love interest. If that was truly the case, however, then I sincerely wish the devs stuck to that idea instead of giving that role to Sumia. Chrom's interactions with Fem!Robin nonwithstanding.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sumia added as a playable character later on in the development of the game? Maybe originally Chrom was supposed to get married FE4 style and they canned it later on the account that they felt that removing a potential bride from male Robin was a no go? And of course, it would take Chrom off the market for female Robin players as well. It might actually help explain why Olivia has a special mechanic too. I mean they literally could have chosen several other women for Chrom, but they chose to have Olivia.

Literally just how the fandom reacted to skinship being removed. Thanks FE fandom for destroying what little faith I had left in humanity.

The fandom's reaction to Fates in general really soured me tbh. People were literally going after others for simply liking certain characters.

every single line of voiced dialogue from radiant dawn

Ehh Skrimir's lines were alright. Honestly, the ones that make me cringe the most is when Mist speaks and OMFG MIA STFU.

Emmeryn. Oh gods, Emmeryn. Shes just...ugaghhhhhh.

Anthony in Fates. Ugh.

Kris seceding their achievements to Marth at the end of FE12.

Jaffar's entire character, backstory and nickname. At least Owain is tongue in cheek. I hear Peri or w/e in Fates is comparably chuuni but she looked kinda outlandish at least, Jaffar is played entirely straight.

I mean for fucks sake look at this

Legault: Well, the Angel of Death. Ive not seen you in some time.

Jaffar: Hurricane

Legault: I was shocked to see you fighting with this rabble. I never thought to see Nergals right-hand man here.

Jaffar:

Legault: The Black Fangs finished, isnt it. The commanders dead. The Four Fangs are gone. Everything went crazy after you all appeared So, how does that make you feel, Angel of Death?

Jaffar:

Legault: Its true No point in talking to you, is there? Its just like your friend Sonia said: you truly are soulless.

Jaffar:

Legault: You know me. You know my strength. You know how I fight. What are you going to do? You know if you can kill me or not. But you dont know me at all. What I like, what I dislike. The kind of life Ive led up until now. You dont know, and theres no reason for you to know. To an assassin, its all so much useless information.

Jaffar:

Legault: There were countless corpses stacked one on top of the other And there, atop of the bodies, they found a lone infant sleeping You. You are death incarnate. You feel nothing, fear nothing, desire nothing You kill. Nothing more. Angel of Death The perfect name.

Jaffar:

Who writes this crap? I mean they try to humanise him with Nino but it just comes off as even more of a joke as a result.

Problem with that support is that it's not meant for Jaffar. It's actually character building for Legault, as strange as it sounds. The issue is that Legault could talk to a stone wall, and wind up with a similar character. I mean. . .how do we know whether or not Legault is telling the truth (I can elaborate on this via PM if anyone's interested), since I don't think Jaffar's past is brought up like this again?

As for the topic. . .I'll volunteer Corrin/Saizou C. Like, fine, go ahead and be wary, but stalking is not acceptable. For all the shit Tharja gets, she is nowhere near as bad as Saizou.

The Tellius voicework got mentioned a lot so can I just mention Fates? Like all of it? Special mentions go to "Act like the adult you technically are" and "You intend to buy peace with death? That's madness!"

*Looking at the design, top to bottom*

I dunno, seems like a practical des-

*reaches waist level*

goddamnit...

Problem with that support is that it's not meant for Jaffar. It's actually character building for Legault, as strange as it sounds. The issue is that Legault could talk to a stone wall, and wind up with a similar character. I mean. . .how do we know whether or not Legault is telling the truth (I can elaborate on this via PM if anyone's interested), since I don't think Jaffar's past is brought up like this again?

As for the topic. . .I'll volunteer Corrin/Saizou C. Like, fine, go ahead and be wary, but stalking is not acceptable. For all the shit Tharja gets, she is nowhere near

as bad as Saizou.

The conversation seems pretty straight forward. Legault is talkative and is trying to elicit a response from the silent Jaffar.

As for the Kamui x Saizo support, at least for Saizo he has good reason to be suspicious of the Avatar who spent the majority of his life in an enemy country. Tharja is just a stalker.

...And it didn't even occur to me how 3edgy5me Jaffar's backstory is until I read your post just now. I'm... not sure how seriously I'll be able to take him after this.

I'm generally more tolerant of "edgy" characters when they appear in canon works as they generally serve a specific purpose in the plot, rather than just being an edgy projection of the author like so many OCs. Jaffar's character archtype 'child taken at young age to be turned into remorseless assassin' isn't uncommon in fiction. Even Fates gets one in the form of Beruka.

Edited by NekoKnight

I recall something about Emmeryn's attempted assassination in chapter 6 working out in the original timeline, causing the Plegia war dragging out by years and as a result all the events happen later. I'll admit right away that I don't remember this stuff well enough to say if this is confirmed in the game or if it's fandom theory like most of the stuff about Camilla's childhood.

Either way still cringy

I think both of these are canon, actually. Lucina tells Chrom at the beginning of chapter 6 that Emmeryn is going to be assassinated, and if she is during the chapter, it's a game over. The Japanese version of Fates is a lot more explicit on Camilla's past and the concubine wars.

That reminds me - Awakening chapters 13 and 14, the fact that Lucina is so scared for Chrom's life to the point that she accidentally calls out "Father!" and blocks an attack that does 0 damage...and when Chrom asks what would've happen had he gotten hit, Lucina says he would've been gravely wounded when the player clearly saw that he WOULDN'T. Such silly writing...

Edited by twistedxgrace

That reminds me - Awakening chapters 13 and 14, the fact that Lucina is so scared for Chrom's life to the point that she accidentally calls out "Father!" and blocks an attack that does 0 damage...and when Chrom asks what would've happen had he gotten hit, Lucina says he would've been gravely wounded when the player clearly saw that he WOULDN'T. Such silly writing...

I STILL say that scene would have actually been really awesome if they just made the assassin proc Lethality. Because then it catches the player super off guard when they see 0 damage and are like "lol" then see LETHALITY and are like "oh shit" and then Lucina blocks it, nullifying the damage.

Then, all in a single moment, you've given the player a realization that 0 damage can still kill you if lethality activates, Dual Guard can block Lethality, AND proving even further that Lucina came from the future, as she knew that an attack which anyone else would initially brush off would kill Chrom, her father, perfectly justifying her response.

I don't get why they wasted such a perfect opportunity and it never won't make me upset.

The first thing that comes to mind aside from Fates, which I won't mention because using any moment from that game would be cheating, is Nino's subplot in Blazing Sword. I mean, it's arguably the most predictable storyline in the entire franchise, and I hated every moment of it.

Honorable mention to the marquess who didn't help Lyn against the man who set his castle on fire because she didn't cry for him. Now that's how you do politics.

The first thing that comes to mind aside from Fates, which I won't mention because using any moment from that game would be cheating, is Nino's subplot in Blazing Sword. I mean, it's arguably the most predictable storyline in the entire franchise, and I hated every moment of it.

Honorable mention to the marquess who didn't help Lyn against the man who set his castle on fire because she didn't cry for him. Now that's how you do politics.

I'm not sure what was so predictable about Nino's subplot, and you're just being dishonest about why Marquess Araphen didn't help Lyn. The main reason he didn't like her was that he was racist against Sacaens and blamed Lyn for his castle getting attacked because of the succession crisis. The last bit about her crying was his desire that she lower herself and beg for his assistance.

Edited by NekoKnight

I'm not sure what was so predictable about Nino's subplot, and you're just being dishonest about why Marquess Araphen didn't help Lyn. The main reason he didn't like her was that he was racist against Sacaens and blamed Lyn for his castle getting attacked because of the succession crisis. The last bit about her crying was his desire that she lower herself and beg for his assistance.

Yeah, I actually thought the part with Lyn was pretty well done. Especially because it's one of the few times the character "stands for what they believe in," and it actually doesn't work to their benefit. instead, it makes their journey more difficult. It'd be like if Ike spouted off at the apostle in Path of Radiance and Sanaki's response is to shrug and basically say that she's not going to help Crimea in their petty squabbles with Daein. And afterward the response is that you get say... One of Tanith's subordinates and a few thousand gold instead of the might of the Begnion army.

Yeah, I actually thought the part with Lyn was pretty well done. Especially because it's one of the few times the character "stands for what they believe in," and it actually doesn't work to their benefit. instead, it makes their journey more difficult. It'd be like if Ike spouted off at the apostle in Path of Radiance and Sanaki's response is to shrug and basically say that she's not going to help Crimea in their petty squabbles with Daein. And afterward the response is that you get say... One of Tanith's subordinates and a few thousand gold instead of the might of the Begnion army.

Hm, I think Ike's situation was pretty well done too. Other characters berate Ike for his outburst, correctly informing him that he nearly ruined Elincia's chances to receive aid because he couldn't contain his outrage. The reason why things still go in Ike's favor isn't because of the plot going easy on him, it's because Sanaki is 1. not a petty asshole like Marquess Araphen and 2. she has a use for Ike and his party. It would be interesting seeing other instances of "sticking to your principles" backfiring on you in future titles, however. Maybe a "choose your reaction" game ala Dragon Age or something.

Edited by NekoKnight

Hm, I think Ike's situation was pretty well done too. Other characters berate Ike for his outburst, correctly informing him that he nearly ruined Elincia's chances to receive aid because he couldn't contain his outrage. The reason why things still go in Ike's favor isn't because of the plot going easy on him, it's because Sanaki is 1. not a petty asshole like Marquess Araphen and 2. she has a use for Ike and his party. It would be interesting seeing other instances of "sticking to your principles" backfiring on you in future titles, however. Maybe a "choose your reaction" game ala Dragon Age or something.

My point is, is that something bad happens as a result of the character doing something wrong. IE, I like that Corrin tries to save everyone in Conquest and fails to do so. The writing may not be great for how the people died, but think the idea is still a sound one. The character has to live with decisions that they made. Like... To make this easier to understand, it'd be like if Chrom's decision to not kill Robin resulted in Robin being mind controlled and becoming Grima anyways. Stuff like that would be refreshing to see, as we'd have tension in the story because we couldn't have faith in the fact that things will magically work out for the character based on their decisions (it'd also make naysayers also seem more justified in their brooding statements). Realistically Ike could have still been jailed for his outburst and Titania/Soren/Elincia herself appointed as the new commander of the GMs. Elincia had already gained some of the Crimean Militia on her side from the jail break, so she could have still used those members.

Like seriously, if it weren't for Eliwood, Lyndis would have been in a terrible position.

The fact that Hector is able to marry Florina.

...not really?

I mean sure after seeing for years that you hate that pairing... not even the most adamant ship haters in here aren't invested enough in FE7's personalities to warrant that anywhere near cringe inducing.

It's not likeable to some people, but not cringe inducing to the normal player. There are much worse personality screwups. Like Cynthia in her chapter as Chrom's daughter you mentioned.

Edited by shadowofchaos

....I'm just now realizing Lyn is so far the only FE protagonist to have their "Oh Fuck" moment in the plot actually be due to the actions of their character. Welp, Lyn's back to second fave FE character status now.

This is what I get for focusing on how much an asshat Marquess Araphen is I guess.

This.Because are lines like this that important?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-yf0jluts

I'll be honest, I was opposed of its removal when it was first announced it was going to be removed. My reasoning was because it was all early, and the speculation was that it was just removed and not replaced with anything, which clearly wasn't the case. Once that was shown I was fine, because the face touching was definitely creepy.

As far as cringe goes.

Fandom first

Tumblr's obsession with Soleil and shipping her and Ophelia, completely ignoring the harassment and implied molestation Ophelia goes through. Tumblr is f'ing horrible.

The waifu stuff. I'll admit, I enjoy the marriage mechanic and supports and all of that, but I have never seen the characters as "mai waifu". The waifu stuff is super cringy, especially with those that actually mean that shit.

Some of the fan art. There are some really pieces of fan art in some places that makes me really cringe. Deviantart is the biggest culprit with its clearly fetish art.

The whole Soleil drugged drink fiasco. That was made out to be a lot more than what it really was for no reason. It was likely to be changed anyway, and the amount of backlash they got for all of it was inreasonable imo. Blown way out of proportion.

Game cringe

Some of the My Room quotes and almost all of the confession scenes. There are a few confession scenes I don't mind that are actually kind of cute, same with my room stuff, but most of it is super cringy.

Some of the battle quotes. For example "why am I feeling shy now?" Really? That is what you have to say? Some of those lines are just really cringy and weird.

Speed round. Unnecessary fan service. Leo liking Camilla, the loli bait ( Midori, Elise being able to be s supported), Soleil's supports as a whole. Whethwr it be the creepy stuff or the fact that they seemed to forget she was Bi and not a Lesbian when they translated her supports. At least they did a good job with Niles.

Edit: my spelling was pretty cringeworthy too.

Edited by Tolvir