Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War 2017 Tier List - Day 39: The support kids (Corple, Lene, Sharlow and Laylea)

OliKad

Holyn is Ayra with better bases. Very easy to recruit since everyone can steamroll through the arena (I once had Azel recruit him once, that was fun). Luna is a neat skill to pass down, but it's limited to the sword twins, Patty, and...Leen.

3.5/10

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This time we start by recruiting a unit we just fought. If that's not an anime cliche....

Holyn shows up when you beat him in Chapter 2, at the end of the arena. It's inarguable that whoever faces him should be someone who wouldn't be able to face Keimos. Anyway, Holyn himself is another swordfighter, like Ayra. Like Ayra, he has Odo blood, but instead of high speed and skill, he has HP and Defence (his skill is still good). And like Ayra, he has a sword skill, Luna. And while that is powerful against some units (generals for example), Astra tends to be a more powerful option. Unfortunately he's unmounted, so he'll be behind in Lanceland. And that does hurt his ability to kill and get experience. Besides which, his impact on groups like the Cross Knights or the flying groups. I'd argue he has a harder time than Ayra in the arena, so levelling up there might no be feasible depending on his level ups. His promotion is also meh, with worse caps than Swordmaster (less Skill/Speed for magic) and nothing over it (no continue, no other weapon type). Gains are also more broad than Swordmaster. He comes with a steel blade, so he has that over Ayra, and he's still a good enough fighter. I might be overestimating Ayra's dodging skills, and he's certainly better at tanking, but really the issue is how similar they are otherwise.

One final mention of sword skills: they can't stack, and don't check for each other at the same time (like later on in the series), and that's a shame. Mostly because Lakche having a 60% chance of Luna or Astra would be downright scary, and that's without mentioning Balmung.

As a dad, he has some good pairings, some horrible pairings and some eh pairings. Either way, their HP will be at least good, like Sylvia, where similarly to Dew he gives Luna to her and gives Corple HP and Defence. He's alright stat wise for Lachesis, and at least Delmud inherits, but no skills is a letdown. No point in even arguing for Fury, Tiltyu or Aideen as good pairs. But for Ayra or Brigged, he's a great choice. For Brigged, he provides Faval with a HP growth of 175 (making him the one unit expected to cap HP in this game), great skill and only really a bit otherwise of his growths (502 total though: one of the series's best totals!). For Patty, he can pass B swords (more variety!), gives a good set of growths and Luna. Obviously, this is useful for making Patty actually capable, if you're willing to have her train. For Ayra, he makes two kids with stupid high skill and HP (for this pair), good attack and defence, passes all his swords and adds Luna to both their skillsets. But he also has an unintended side effect: the Balmung glitch. (I'll just link to it here under Buy the Balmunk) It'll make whoever has it even more crazy, but I can't count a glitch for scoring. He even has a higher love base for Brigged, and the Brave sword talk for Ayra to boost his base.

I'll give Holyn a 7/10. He's good on the offence, tanky, and has the potential against those pesky armour bosses that keep happening in FE4. His lack of a horse is an issue.

(I'll likely do a rerate later on for G1. I mean, I was pretty stupid for some of these (Especially Ayra))

Edited by Dayni

(I'll likely do a rerate later on for G1. I mean, I was pretty stupid for some of these (Especially Ayra))

That's fine, but if you do that, you should put your previous vote as well, so I can recalculate more easily the final averages. ;)

Basically a slightly less lethal Ayra that joins later and has the same footlock problem.

3.1/10 (0.1 bias included for being beefy enough to take on Travant's shit squad with the Wingslayer in my playthrough)

Tankier than Ayra but Luna is a worse skill than Astra. Still a very good unit overall and a good dad for Ayra, Bridget and maybe even Fury if you want to have Luna on Fee.

8,5 / 10

Pretty sure she can't inherit Luna, because she is mounted :/

Yeah, only on-foot sword users can inherit the three sword skills. Fee can not (what kind of a name is “Fee” anyway?)

So, Holyn. I'm still biased towards swordspeople so I feel the need to rate him. Even though he's no princess of Isaach so why do I bother.

No Astra but Luna is the next best thing and doesn't eat through weapon durability so quickly while slicing through generals like a hot knife through butter.

Quite tanky in comparison with Ayra, also the ballistae seem to love targeting him. He loves to take bolts to the face though, so it balances out.

Trades place in the arena with Chaimos, which is a pretty dick move of his, because Chaimos is much stronger for those who clear the arena second or later.

I gave Ayra 8,5/10 and I'm inclined to give Holyn 8/10 because again swordspeople bias.

I gave him a silver blade so that Ulster can murder stuff before Patty brings him a brave sword and I liked that much.

Egh, Holyn. He's a character lots of people liked but never did much for me. He's good at what he does but nothing terribly special. He joins a bit later than Ayra and though he is significantly easier to recruit, comes at the start of a chapter where infantry really get shafted for the first half (and nary an axeguy in sight to beat the crap out of for levels either). People say he's tankier than Ayra but he's not THAT much tougher, his growths and bases are only marginally higher and his main selling point is still being a speed and skill unit. Moonlight Sword is great for surprise meatshots on heavily defensive bosses though, I'll give him that. However once he promotes he's basically an inferior Ayra period because the Forrest/Hero in FE4 is just a less good swordmaster. I don't know why they made this design choice, making two classes identical but giving one a slightly smaller speed and skill cap and one less class skill and nothing to compensate for it, but they did, and that's what hurts Holyn the most for me.

As a dad he's tricky. Ayra is imo overkill because Moonlight and Meteor Sword can't trigger at the same time (sadly, it'd be hilarious to deliver 5 defense negating hits in a row) and the double Odo blood means Larcei and Ulster get WAY more skill than they're ever going to need (but the Balmunk exploit can be fun i guess, give Ulster a much needed edge over his sister and cousin's superior swordmaster class), so I really don't consider them a good pair. The only other pair that I think he truly benefits is Briggid, which his Odo blood really helps Faval out with his archery and lets Patty actually fight with B rank swords early game, and passes on Moonlight Sword to her for the lulz. Sadly no other pair really takes advantage of Holyn's would-be benefits: Odo blood gives good skill but there aren't fathers lacking in it; the sword rank buff is nice but most kids who use swords have a mother that already has sword holy blood (Ayra and Lachesis). Briggid is really all he's got going for him.

6/10 unit, he's a less good Ayra with less options in the long term of the game, but on his own merits is a good sword using foot unit.

Ah, Holyn, the guy I tried to use, but couldn't, because the mounted units killed everything first. Luna sounds like a great skill, but only passing it to sword units is a bummer (and I'm NOT giving it to Leen). I've got a bit more bias towards Ayra, since I think she looks legit cool while murdering things. He's not as frail as her, which I guess is a plus in the arena?

4.5/10

...Again? Yup, for certainly not the first time in this series, Holyn got both positive and negative votes, which brings him to an average of 5.47/10, based on 17 votes this time around!

I'm sorry for the slight delay, but it looks like it's finally time to tackle the Princess of Nodion and Eldigan's husband(?), Lachesis!

Class: Princess (Level 2)
Holy Blood: Minor Hezul
Personal Skills: Charisma

Class Skills: Pursuit (after promotion)
Stats:
26 HP (60%)
6 Strength (50%)
8 Magic (5%)
9 Skill (10%)
13 Speed (20%)
7 Defense (20%)
9 Resistance (10%)
5 Luck (40%)

My thoughts: Despite her solid bases for her level, Lachesis is still very weak by the time she joins you. She starts off as a Princess, which is pretty much only an unmounted Troubadour. Let's just say that this is not ideal. To makes matters seemingly worse, her only good growths are Power and Luck, which everything else is either average or very subpar. And, since she lacks a horse at the beginning, it will be very hard for her to keep up with your forces, which makes her Personal Skill, Charisma (+10hit/avoid to all allies within 3 spaces), a bit worthless...

However. What if I said that she is actually great despite all of this?

Sure, like Azel, it might make a boog while for her to kick off, but there's only one thing that makes her 100% redeemable: her GODLY promotion! Yes, she promotes to arguably the best class in the entire game, the Master Knight. This class has pretty much everything going for it: great gains, has a horse included, it can wield pretty much any weapon (as the name suggests) and it even nabs you the best skill of all, Pursuit! Suddenly, with this awesome promotion, Lachesis is suddenly one of your best units, capable of mastering the weapon triangle with ease and also keeping up with your forces at all times, AND making Charisma finally useful! I mean, what more could you want? A A-Rank in Light Magic?

Still, despite all of this, she still has a very slow start, but since her promotion is everything in this case, I'll be super generous and give her a 8/10, with bias included because she is a sweet character! :D

I am ready to see my opinion getting purged as always! ;)

Return staff + Paragon ring + Sylvia = ez promotion

And the promotion turns out to be the best class in the game.

When she promotes, she becomes the best non-Sigurd unit due to all the contributions she provides during the final parts of Gen I. She's very versatile offensively and provides support via staves. The only problem is that she doesn't start off this amazing, but training her up isn't difficult.

8/10, +1 bias because hngh Raquesis is gorgeous and sexy. 9/10

Raquesis becomes the best class in the game.

Her earlygame is... meh. Not a great healer and combat unit.

She needs to use staves in each turn to become level 20 as soon as possible.

She should get her promotion at the beginning of chapter 3 at the latest to have less trouble with Eldigan.

When she's promoted she's a real be(a)st in combat. Can use everything except for dark tomes so she can't make use advantage of the weapon triangle at any time.

Her healing abilities aren't still the best due to her low magic, but she still can use other staves and her mobility will equal Ethlyn's disappearance.

Before promotion: 6.5

After promotion: 9.5

In total: 8.5 / 10

(simply because she'll be longer second tier than first tier in Gen. 1)

Edited by Eleanor Hume

Lachesis starts out rather useless. Can't fight anything, has the Suicide Paladins stalking her, levels up slowly... She can use staves to serve as a backup healer, I guess. She can give charisma boosts if she's nearby I guess. If she didn't promote into what she does I'd put Lachesis in the leagues of Deirdre and Arden. But she does promote into what she does. Into a Master Knight, the best class in the game! Lachesis suddenly stopped sucking. She became awesome. She can use anything she pleases that isn't one of the 12 Holy Weapons or Aura. She can kill things easily now. She gets a horse so Sigurd can't ditch her. ...But getting her to awesome takes a lot of effort. Was it worth it? ...Of course it was, it's not like it's the ordeal of training Dew.

Slow start penalises her, but promotion gives her a boost out of chump tier. 7/10.

I haven't really been making enough jokes at character's expense in this. Wee bit too close for siblings with Eltshan still? Keeping Fin out of combat? Cheating on Beowulf or something? Get up to that stuff with Dew? Be stuck with Azel because someone likes magic swords? *All of them at once with some cheats?* That's the Lachesis we all know and love. We made most of that up? Stop denying it.

She is one of the best units in this generation... After 18 painstaking levels before promotion. Beforehand, she is just a unit that is both Footlocked and Swordlocked and relies on using staves before promotion. The road to greatness is a long road to traverse and it just takes too long to get there. Also, good luck using her for combat in Ch. 2 if you want that Knight Ring.

3.5/10 (+0.5 bias included for being the most gorgeous first gen character)

No, I'm not using her localized name, because it offends me. Anyway, Lachesis' worst points are either green and bent on keeping an item out of your hands, or the fact that she's now Staffbot the FOURTH. Aideen can't be everywhere at once, so it falls to our brother-loving princess to fill in the gaps, once half the staffbots leave. Unlike Aideen, she gets a worthwhile promotion. But the trick is getting her there, and that's not exactly fun.

5.5/10, with a bit of negative bias (as in, just enough to round it to this rating) because I'm pretty sure she imagined that Dew was her brother during That One Night. :P:

(even if she's the second-most WTF-worthy female unit in the first gen, she's a lot more likeable than Priscilla)

Lachesis is good while she's promoted. Most of the time, this is chapter 4/5, which are very low action chapters.

Charisma is nice, but its better utilized on her kids. Unpromoted Lachesis at least has better movement than Aideen and can still heal well enough with Relive. Ideally you'll just have her spam return in a corner or something till she promotes though since she's pretty bad combat wise until then. I'll give her a 6/10. Being a master knight in gen 1 is nothing compared to gen 2.

4/10

I couldn't give her a better rating than Azel. He can fight pretty well before promotion, Lachesis can't. He doesn't need a ton of resources to promote in Ch.4, Lachesis does. He has way better availability. And upon promotion she's only slightly stronger than Azel - the only way she can significantly outperform is if you get the rescue staff which requires a sub-optimal pairing. I don't think she deserves an average rating tbh.

7/10

Lachesis while having a slow start has a pretty great payoff for the last few chapters of Gen 1, Master Knight is totally fun to just use in general as well.

Ah it's BlondeLover. A 7.5/10. With negative bias. Because I don't really like her that much.

Lachesis,unpromoted, is a very sucky unit. The best way for her to gain EXP is through healing, because she will be ORKO'ed in a flash. Her Prayer Sword is also useless because, like I said, she WILL be ORKO'ed, and won't reach low HP to activate Prayer. At least she can do decent damage with her sword, so she can steal kills. She also gets the Thief Sword, from Dew, allowing her to steal money. But should you make her fight, when she dies so easily? At least she can staffbot. She can also get that sword from Eldigan, allowing her to steal HP from enemies.

Upon promotion, Lachesis becomes near to Sigurd level of awesomeness. She has an A rank in everything, except Light and Dark. Basically she can use anything now, and she also gains Pursuit. She also becomes unbeatable too, and can ORKO almost everything. She also gets a pony.

So, yeah, Lachesis is an example of a unit who is very weak unpromoted, but becomes way too strong upon promotion. Only problem is the patience of training her through staffbotting, or through actual fighting.

Oh, and she also loves her brother. Just wanted to say that.

Edited by Flee Fleet!