Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War 2017 Tier List - Day 39: The support kids (Corple, Lene, Sharlow and Laylea)

OliKad

We're rating them all now?

Spoiler

So the swordie twins are very similar to one another, with Lakche being better than her brother because she gets swordmaster, with both obviously better than their substitute. So, what does that mean in game? Well, they're powerful, doubling with Pursuit and at the very least doing a massive amount of damage to enemies like Ayra did, while if Astra procs, the enemy is a corpse. Of course, they're foot units, so they're going to have the usual issue of being behind the cavalry and they can fall behind as a result. They're swordlocked, but it's FE4, nbd outside of certain groups. They also benefit from getting Magic swords, mostly because they can then respond to 2-range opponents in enemy phase. Awareness is nice for them, allowing them to ignore the skills than opponents are more likely to have.

Lakche tends to be great, being Ayra+ with improved growths and possibly a weapon with Critical, without accounting for the dad. Skashaha is more reliant on his dad (for growths and weapons), but Ayra's contributions make him pretty solid regardless. As for their best dad contributions, there are quite a few options here. Lex makes them physically tanky, levels them up faster so that being footlocked has less of an impact on their exp. Dew makes their growths great in all but HP and gives them Sol to help heal themselves and Bargain to make money a non-issue. Holyn makes them HP tanks and skilled, while also adding Luna for potential overkill. Jamke's low skill isn't an issue, Charge helps them with damage output and killing opponents and Continue is something Skashaha was missing. Noish also gives Charge, Critical allows another way for them to demolish opponents in one hit and their growths are improved in a similar manner to Lex. Of course, with Holyn as their dad, they can become even better, being able to use a glitch to get Balmung and just tear through the enemy. Of course, their role as physical attackers is supplemented, rather then changed by their dad.

As for inheritance, Lakche will want Ayra's swords, including the Brave Sword, and maybe an Iron Sword for the arena and a magic sword for ranged combat. She's not a high priority for rings, but the Shield Ring will help her on the front lines early on. Skashaha would like the Silver Blade that Shagall drops, so make sure his dad gets it or can buy it later, and like Lakche a magic sword and an Iron sword for the same reasons. Rings are again not his biggest concern, but like Lakche whatever works for her works for him. Lakche can get a boost from Fin if he's her dad, but that's not too relevant for her.

The substitutes are essentially just worse. They don't get Awareness or Astra, Radney doesn't promote to swordmaster, their growths are worse than all of the paired options overall (though some of their growths are better than some of the pairings: it depends on what growths, though their growths except for Radney's resistance and their strength at best matches the lowest values from any pairings) and of course they don't get any items. Sure, Roddelban gets Ambush, but two pairings do that for both, so there's nothing unique to that. Radney can have 21 strength without proccing it once, but Lakche can get that surprisingly easily anyway. They're worse than Ayra, in G2. Ayra's kids far outstrip them, even at their worst.

(I know I'd rather rate these separately, but I wanted to rate Fin separately, so you know I'd want to do it one by one).

I think I'll try to rate across the choices overall, ignoring the mighty Balmung glitch. Also, Lakche gets bias points for Swordmaster promotion, while Radney gets it for somehow getting 21 strength without proccing in the stat (counting promotion to be fair), great for the substitutes.

Larcei/Lakche gets 6.5/10. She's powerful, can do the damage and is there from the beginning. Just a shame she's on foot. She's better than Shanan while he's not using Balmung a lot of the time.

Skasaha/Ulster gets 6/10. He's still good, but not on Lakche's level. He'll tend to be close in stats to Lakche, but he's in a lesser class.

Creidne/Radney gets 2.5/10. While she can be strong, she's nothing compared to Lakche overall and she can't match that output. She can work in a substitute run, but otherwise? No.

Dalvin/Roddelban gets 2/10. He's similar to Radney, but he doesn't get the same extent of events boosting his stats that Radney did.

Edited by Dayni
Forgot to bring up inheritance

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lakche and Skasaha are literally interchangeable other than the fact that Lakche is slightly more difficult to screw over and ends up with marginally better stats on promotion as well as gaining continue. They're both pretty decent units, and they're around for literally forever. The main problem is the lack of utility outside of combat, again there are other mounted units who can do just as well. Still, unless you literally decide to make Azel their father (which still results in them being reasonably decent), it's hard to screw them over. They have plenty of potential dads, and there's so many swords for grabs that they'll probably end up with at least a Steel Blade.

Lakche - 4.5/10. Skasaha 4/10. Lakche's guaranteed inheritance and being generally harder to screw over puts her very slightly above Skasaha.

Badney and Roddlebad are probably some of the more usable subs, but the problem is that they're strictly worse than the units they replace. Badney is passable in herself, but without a weapon with more than 50 kills or the Hero Sword, she really can't finish off enemies reliably. She gets a lot of stats from special conversations, which adds to her strength. She functions but without any other utility except her passable combat, she really struggles to do much other than exist. She's better than the likes of Hannibal, but that's not hard. 

Roddlebad however is a massive loser. He's literally worse than Badney in every parameter except he has Vantage which he can't really make good use of. He's in a passable enough class, but that's all he really has going for him. You can only get his special conversation if he's underleveled, which is fittingly about him being a loser. I'm hard pressed to think of many other units worse than him, even crab legs gives him a hard time.

Badney - 2.5/10, Roddlebad - 1.5/10. They're both permanently inferior to the swordtwins, but Badney can at least function to some degree. Roddlebad at least has availability and isn't an active detriment, but the same could have been said for Ardan.

Edited by Shin

Larcei, Ulster, Creidne, and Dalvin are all pretty underwhelming. Statistically Larcei and Ulster are better than Ayra and the subs and much more practical for general use. However because all I use the kids for is weakening enemies for other units to kill, the subs are actually preferable since they don't end up accidentally killing things. I'll give all 4 of them a 3/10.

Edited by Valkama

Roddlebad is such a meme. Editing my vote to give Larcei .5 more points since she has guaranteed inheritance compared to her brother. 

What are Radney's other STR-boosting conversations? I only know of Shanan's in Chapter 7 and the secret one she has with Johan/Johalva in Chapter 6.

Lakche + Skasaha

The #1 victims of gen 2 being so mount-heavy - where a footlocked unit could occasionally be useful in gen 1, in gen 2 it's pretty much Celice bumrushing chapters via RescueDance plus whoever out of Delmud, Aless, Fee, Fin and Oifey you need as auxiliary units. It's kind of a pity because unlike her mother the Swordtwins just straight up amazing in combat right off the bat but what's the point of being able to kill one unit five times over when a much more mobile unit can get the job done just perfectly fine? I'll give both of them a 3.5 because there are a few situations in the beginning of chapters where they can contribute and it'd be just wrong to give them a lower rating than Aira ... 3.5/10

PS: The only reason I personally pair Aira up at all is actually so Lakche can inherit Swords -especially the Thief Sword- to sell at Tilnanogue Castle right in the beginning of chapter 6 for Oifey to buy.

Radney

Worse than Lakche in every way imaginable. I'd give her a 2.5/10 just by looking at her raw stats and overall combat performance but I think she deseres a little bit of extra credit for actually being somewhat competent in substitute runs. This might be a bit of a controversial point because I give her bonus points for something that's impossible for the child units to fulfill ... but honestly, when do we really even see Radney used at all outside of substitute runs? I think it's fair to give her a 3/10 for it.

Roddleban

An all-around gimped version of Radney, who herself is a gimped version of Lakche. But where Radney actually has the strength and the skillset [Pursuit + Continue after promoting] to do well in combat later on in the game Roddleban is just forever stuck with Pursuit, the relatively useless Ambush skill and all-around worse stats. 2/10

Finally, we start up the kids! Lakche and Skaskher are the children of Aira and both are fairly similar. I guess we'll start with Lakche? Not-LTCers love Lakche. She shows up right off the bat at the start of Ch6 with all the stuff her mother has, along with an iron blade. Skillwise, she has Pursuit, Nihil, Astra... and whatever dad happened to have! She could gain Vantage and Paragon. Perhaps Luna might be your thing. Or maybe you like her with Charge and Critical. It all depends on who you pair Aira with. Lakche is kinda crazy no matter what, especially if you let her mother keep that brave sword of hers, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend it because Lakche gains Continue and some nice stats on promotion to swordmaster! Then she goes nuts. If she can catch up, anyway. She gets left in the dust sometimes. Problems of six move.
She's kinda nuts, but she gets left behind a fair bit later on. Take a 6/10, I guess. Now maybe we can get a Swankicha user in a hypothetical gen 3.

As for her brother, he's not as infamously crazy as his sister, though he's not bad by any means. He also starts with an iron blade, but Ska isn't guaranteed inheritance. This is where the "Lex kills Chagall 2 for Silver Blade" thing comes from. Pair Aira with Holyn or Noish to avoid this issue. Everything I mentioned about skills is common to both of the sword twins, so yeah. Ska has a worse promotion, though; Heroes are strictly worse than Swordmasters. Sorry about that. +3 magic in exchange for a bunch of skill/speed? No thanks.
He's slightly worse, so I go down to 5.5, except he loses bias points because I can't spell his name. 5/10.

Lakche - She's Ayra that joins immediately, with a little better durability (usually), extra skills are overkill.  Can't do a whole lot other than picking off the occasional wyvern later on though because of gen 2, is moderately useful in chapter 7 at least.  3/10.

Skasahar - Like Lakche but slightly worse on promotion.  Thankfully that means next to nothing since by the time they promote they're not doing a lot anyway.  Also 3/10

Radney - I don't care about all her strength conversations, she still has no skills so she still doesn't kill things.  2/10

Roddelbad - He's bad.  Has ambush for some reason.  1/10.

Larcei is THE SWORDMASTER OF DESTRUCTION. It doesn't matter who the father is, she comes with Pursuit, Nihil, and Astra at the start. Her best fathers in my opinion are Lex, Holyn, Noish, Dew, and Jamke. She is one of the best non-holy weapon users in the game, unless you go for the glitch if her Father is Holyn. 9.5/10

Ulster is similar to Larcei, but is weakened by being promoted to Hero class, which has lower caps in Speed compared to Swordmaster, and doesn't have the ability to use Axes like we would get in future games. 7/10

Radney is a Substitute that has some character. She is the palette for Oboro when it comes to her hatred of a foreign nation. She only comes with Pursuit, so that helps her a bit, but she promotes to Hero, and she ain't no Machuya or Echidna. 3/10

Roddlevan is called Roddlebad for a reason. He also promotes to Hero and that is not as cool as a Swordmaster in this game. He has Pursuit like Radney, but has Vantage as if he was Arden's son. You'll have to wait until Thracia 776 for Heroes to be great in Jugdral. 3/10

Like her mother, Larcei is walking death and like her mother, can't get caught up with the action, especially since Gen 2 favors mounts even more. 3/10

Slatesaber (screw it, planned on referring him as this since I first saw this nickname) is also like his mother except he promotes into a mediocre class. 2.5/10

18 minutes ago, qwernst said:

Ulster is similar to Larcei, but is weakened by being promoted to Hero class, which has lower caps in Speed compared to Swordmaster, and doesn't have the ability to use Axes like we would get in future games. 7/10

There are about 3 enemies in the game that Ulster can't double that Larcei can.

Edited by Valkama

Larcei and Ulster are both equally irrelevant. I see no reason to distinguish their promotional bonuses and minor statistical discrepancies when they both lack the ability to reach combat and bring no other utility to the team. Even their combat is below par when you consider they have no good 2-range whatsoever and bulkier enemies are going to require them to activate their skills, whereas Seliph, Leif, Arthur, and Ares are always able to kill and take less damage in return.

2/10 for both Larcei and Ulster for having nothing but bells and whistles in their favor, and 1/10 for Roddlevan and Radney for not even having those.

Edited by Inference

To be fair to Lakche/Skasaher/Badney/Roddlebad they can see some use in chapter 7, maybe even kill some dragon knights in chapter 9 or some dark mages in 10. Lakche and Skasaher can handily reach lvl 30 with just arena's and elite ring exchange, so they can get a point for ranked runs.

Lakche 3/10 Skasaher 3/10 Badney 2/10 Roddlebad 2/10

Foot units can reach combat pretty easily in every chapter but like chapter 10. Albeit the combat they can reach often isn't very important but you can use them to weaken units to feed kills into other units. In particular you could weaken enemies for a Claud!Lester who when trained can be a pretty good mage killer at endgame.

I see what you're trying to say, but allow me to reiterate just how minor those contributions really are.

I have yet another playthrough running and am currently on Ch. 2. I have three foot units deployed for non-combat reasons and almost every unit is using full move every turn. None of those units made it even close to the initial batch of enemies before all of the high-ranking units on the tier list wiped them out (which I believe was the following turn after they engaged, so it's as if they never stopped). Slowing down for the footies wasn't an option because Seliph needs that Knight Ring to boss-kill and seize in Gen 2. The next batch of enemies is a few paces away from Nordion, and I can't think of one foot unit that would have helped me wipe them out any faster than Lex or Quan; thus, that core group of about six units will continue to do all of the fighting while the footies in the back pair up to make living convoys for Gen 2 (shoutouts to whoever it was that mentioned Larcei's ability to hold swords for better units is the only reason Ayra gets paired).

The one part of the chapter where non-mounts can see combat would indeed be the road intersection where the final two castles and ballistae are, since the foot units can just wait there, but the likes of Holyn and Ayra aren't any better for the job than Sigurd and crew, all of whom have better defensive parameters and the ability to get out of the way when they can't kill. In fact, I would actually rather Sigurd get even more kills to make sure Silver Sword reaches 50 before Ch. 3 so that he can focus on working Brave Sword to 50 before the end of Gen 1, where Seliph gets to carry that momentum through the entire rest of the game.

Long story short, yeah, foot units can contribute in some capacity throughout the game, but unless they're performing specialized functions to support the mounted units in some capacity other than player phase combat, that Chapter 2 scenario is about the extent of their capabilities.

I think the people giving the kids shit purely for being foot units are overreacting a bit. A 1-2/10 unit is like an Arden or a Hannibal, two characters with virtually no practical use, who are immediately outclassed by mediocre units.

Yes, Larcei and Ulster lose pretty much all of their utility and use by about chapter 9, but they're very useful for chapter 6 and the early parts of chapter 7, and a good chunk of 8. I think if you're giving them 3 or less out of 10, you're severely underestimating their early gen 2 performance, or you're just thinking "Well I didn't use them in the last chapter, so they're just trash." Leaf and Seliph are people seem to agree are both 9 or 10/10 units, and they're stuck on foot, locked to swords until the promote, which for Seliph, is about as long as Larcei and Ulster will be useful, and Leaf won't be useful until well after that unless you baby him like crazy in chapter 7 when you get him. Even after it becomes total Horse Emblem again, Ulster and Larcei can see some use and actually get results, even if they're very niche.

I'd give them both 6/10. I think differentiating Larcei and Ulster by saying Larcei has better caps is a bit funny, too, since most people seem to agree that they'll never see enough use to even reach those caps, but I digress.

Roddleban/Dalvin and Radney/Creidne don't get this same argument though, and fall behind almost immediately when it shouldn't be too much of a struggle for a decent foot unit to show worth. Especially Dalvin. 4/10 for Creidne, 3/10 for Dalvin.

Edited by Slumber

When a units best practical use is to weaken enemies for better units to get kills, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to give them scores slightly above Arden. Leif and Seliph are both great at combat before promotion, Seliph is outperforming them from turn 1. When they do promote they get a mount and Leif is given massive utility options. The sword twins aren't even in the same ballpark as these two.

Of course, Seliph is only outperforming them because he has every ring in the game (including the Leg Ring) and a 50 kill Hero Sword AND a 50 kill Light Sword.  You can say all you want about how it's optimal play, but come on, that's a self fulfilling prophecy.  Leaf at least has good bases and skills that make it possible for him to ORKO without every resource in the game.

Edited by Refa

1 hour ago, Valkama said:

When a units best practical use is to weaken enemies for better units to get kills, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to give them scores slightly above Arden. Leif and Seliph are both great at combat before promotion, Seliph is outperforming them from turn 1. When they do promote they get a mount and Leif is given massive utility options. The sword twins aren't even in the same ballpark as these two.

The sword twins aren't "softening up" anyone. If you're using them purely to feed Seliph and... Arthur? I guess? What frontline units need to be fed kills in early gen 2 besides these two? And even then, Arthur and Seliph really don't need anyone giving them easy kills. Regardless, their worth isn't in their ability to feed kills to nonexistant low level units that need babying. In early gen 2, where about half of your early-game units don't get mounts until promotion, Larcei and Ulster are absolutely pulling their weight as units, and in all likelihood, outperforming even some of the mounted units like Dairmuid.

And this will continue on until chapter 8/9 when everyone starts promoting and getting mounts.

That's much more utility than Arden, who immediately starts falling behind basically on the first turn of the game.

Edited by Slumber

well, I never did subs, so:

Larcei:

The girl gets a 9.5/10, with obvious positive bias of course.

Larcei is basically Ayra who appears in the first chapter of Gen 2, with more advantages and like Ulster, cannot be screwed by whoever her father is. Larcei being the daughter of an awesome mother, inherits all her skills and inherited items. Hence, she has Astra and Nihil from the start, along with her class skill Pursuit. However, she can also inherit the skills of her father. Therefore fathers like "Chullian" (Holyn's new name is so...bleh), Noish, and Lex would be more preferable for her since she inherits good skills (Luna, Critical, Elite e.t.c although both kids don't really need Elite, as they can kill enemies, including the arena ones, pretty much easily). She also will inherits weapons from Ayra, so she could have weapons like the Brave Sword from the get go, making it easier for her to kill off enemies.

She will have pretty good stats, especially in Skill and Speed. And her promotion gains are nice too, and gains Adept as well upon promotion. All in all, she's like Ayra with more advantages, and I consider Holyn to be her best father (Luna + Astra for the way). Lex is also not bad, as he gives her Elite (but, like I said before: both kids don't really need Elite, as they can kill enemies, including the arena ones, pretty much easily) as a skill and she gets a 60% Defense growth rate.

By the way, while she has an edited potrait of Ayra, she doesn't look bad really (her hair is only cut) compared to someone like Aless.

Ulster: 

This boy gets a 9/10, with positive bias of course.

Ulster is pretty much like Larcei, since he gets the same skills from both parents, both use swords, are fast e.t.c. The only problems for Ulster is that his inheritance of weapons is not guaranteed (making Lex a less preferable choice compared to Holyn, for me), and he's promoted into a Hero, a class that gives "inferior" promotion gains compared to Swordmasters. However, he is still pretty much unscrewable like his sister, and is slightly inferior to her. He also has the advantage of having weapons like the Thunder Sword (if his father was a sword user) and thus has an easier time beating enemies. He appears in the first chapter of Gen2 and thus has more availability. Again, I personally think Holyn is the best father for him.

So basically, both kids are spectacular.

By the way, both kids get major Odo blood if they're father was Holyn, so they could wield Balmung, but I never really had them use it (I have the holy weapon stay with Shanan). Has anyone else tried to have them use Balmung?

I don't really understand why people bother arguing that Seliph and Leif are just like other footies at this point, using meaningless semantics that mostly ignore the payoff that warrants their investment. No amount of training will allow other units to match their capabilities, which are class-locked, circumstantial, and inalienable. 

Larcei and Ulster are absolutely pulling their weight as units, and in all likelihood, outperforming even some of the mounted units like Dairmuid.

Sorry, friend. As mediocre as Dermott tends to be in combat, 8-move Canto from recruitment is a ridiculously large advantage to undersell.

Edited by Inference

27 minutes ago, Inference said:

I don't really understand why people bother arguing that Seliph and Leif are just like other footies at this point, using meaningless semantics that mostly ignore the reason they warrant the investment that they do. No amount of training will allow other units to do what these two do, mounted or otherwise.

I wasn't saying that Seliph and Leif were like other footies in the sense that the other footies will also become viable somehow. Using a character's raw potential to gauge whether they're worth it or not undermines the sheer pain in the ass it is to level up a character like Leif, who shows up right about when the balance starts shifting towards mounted units.

I was more getting at that they're footies because you have to move them around like footies. Seliph can get the Leg Ring, but that's going to get him into trouble early game if you don't give him adequate backup. Ulster and Larcei, are, for all intents and purposes, very adequate backup. They kill stuff with relative ease and have great growths and stats AND they keep up with most of the army. No madman is throwing out Dairmuid, Lester, Fee and Oifey off on their own to clear the first handful of maps. At least no madman that isn't doing a very specific challenge run or something. The "HORSE EMBLEM MLG PRO STRATS" don't apply for quite a while, and deliberately ignoring great units who eventually become not so great isn't a very sound strategy when there's really no downside to not using them. There's enough EXP and enemies around in that early game to get everyone up to speed until the twins lose relevance. You're really not starving your other units with more potential of EXP by using them.

They only lose points because eventually, they start dragging everyone else down because they literally can't keep up with mounted units, so they're left behind to pick off stragglers or defend castles. But until that moment, the two are likely among your best units when it comes to being able to actually be out in the field, fighting off enemies. Their gradual descent is nowhere near enough to knock them down a solid 7-8 points, and rank them among the likes of Arden and Hannibal.

Edited by Slumber

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The sword twins aren't "softening up" anyone. If you're using them purely to feed Seliph and... Arthur? I guess? What frontline units need to be fed kills in early gen 2 besides these two? And even then, Arthur and Seliph really don't need anyone giving them easy kills. Regardless, their worth isn't in their ability to feed kills to nonexistant bad low level units. In early gen 2, where about half of your early-game units don't get mounts until promotion, Larcei and Ulster are absolutely pulling their weight as units, and in all likelihood, outperforming even some of the mounted units like Dairmuid.

And this will continue on until chapter 8/9 when everyone starts promoting and getting mounts.

That's much more utility than Arden, who immediately starts falling behind in the prologue.

Lester, Tristan, and Nanna/Janne all appreciate the experience more than them because they have a much better payoff. They are not out preforming Dairmuid in chapter 6/7 because even Tristan is out preforming them in chapter 6/7. Here is what the kids can do without slowing you down:

Chapter 6: Pick off stragglers that Seliph leaves behind.

Chapter 7: Kill a few dark mages and maybe some guards at Darna.

Chapter 8: Engage Muhammed's group.

Chapter 9: Engage Hannibal's group and maybe Altenna's group if you decide to go for her recruitment

Chapter 10: Nothing!

Endgame: Dozel castle.

It looks like an impressive list until you realize that none of what they are doing is really that important. Everything from chapter 7 onward you have other units who can do the exact same things and the stuff they are doing before that is incredibly unimportant. In fact that only really important thing they can contribute at is Dozel castle which you should have countless other units that can do the same thing.

And while you can slow down for them so they can catch up and do other things, that doesn't stop the other units who were already doing everything from continuing to be able to do everything. They are absolutely outclassed by anyone on a mount because nearly everyone gen 2 can find a way to 1 round an enemy. You could make the argument that gen 1 some of the mounted units fail to 1 round but that is absolutely not the case in Gen 2.

13 minutes ago, Valkama said:

Lester, Tristan, and Nanna/Janne all appreciate the experience more than them because they have a much better payoff. They are not out preforming Dairmuid in chapter 6/7 because even Tristan is out preforming them in chapter 6/7. Here is what the kids can do without slowing you down:

Chapter 6: Pick off stragglers that Seliph leaves behind.

Chapter 7: Kill a few dark mages and maybe some guards at Darna.

Chapter 8: Engage Muhammed's group.

Chapter 9: Engage Hannibal's group and maybe Altenna's group if you decide to go for her recruitment

Chapter 10: Nothing!

Endgame: Dozel castle.

It looks like an impressive list until you realize that none of what they are doing is really that important. Everything from chapter 7 onward you have other units who can do the exact same things and the stuff they are doing before that is incredibly unimportant. In fact that only really important thing they can contribute at is Dozel castle which you should have countless other units that can do the same thing.

And while you can slow down for them so they can catch up and do other things, that doesn't stop the other units who were already doing everything from continuing to be able to do everything. They are absolutely outclassed by anyone on a mount because nearly everyone gen 2 can find a way to 1 round an enemy. You could make the argument that gen 1 some of the mounted units fail to 1 round but that is absolutely not the case in Gen 2.

The bolded is very telling to me. It almost seems like your reasoning for what makes a "good" unit is purely the horse, even when it makes no sense. Tristan has very middling stats(And downright bad as a substitute in gen 2), awful growths, and a very bad set of skills. Tristan isn't outperforming shit until promotion, and even then, all he'll get is Continue. He's a glorified Noishe in a generation where you have to be more than just glorified versions of bad gen 1 units.

Your playstyle also baffles me if all that's around for Larcei and Ulster in chapters 6 and 7 are Seliph's leftovers and Dark Mages, but whatever.

Edited by Slumber

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The bolded is very telling to me. It almost seems like your reasoning for what makes a "good" unit is purely the horse, even when it makes no sense. Tristan has very middling stats(And downright bad as a substitute in gen 2) and a very bad set of skills. Tristan isn't outperforming shit until promotion, and even then, all he'll get is Continue. He's a glorified Noishe in a generation where you have to be more than just glorified versions of bad gen 1 units.

Your playstyle also baffles me if all that's around for Larcei and Ulster in chapters 6 and 7 are Seliph's leftovers and Dark Mages, but whatever.

Tristan is absolutely better than them before promotion. Noish is also better than them for that matter. I have experience using these units, it's not like I just see they have a horse and i'm rating them highly. Having a horse in this game gives you a very real advantage over non horse units that cannot be overlooked. And for the record I rate Lana as one of the best Gen 2 units and she's slow as hell but she makes up for it with her pure utility. Larcei and Ulster provide nothing cool or interesting to your team.

Also it really isn't a baffling playstyle for them to be picking off Seliph's scraps. Just charge Seliph forward and he'll kill about everything, when he gets weak you can physic him. Chapter 6 is a terribly easy map.