Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

1 minute ago, rockocalypse said:

I-Im not low tier? ;.; Thank you so much... My father would never recognize me as anything but scrub tier (really though, that makes me pretty excited/happy!)

But I fight p2w teams... horribly often. If I ever go to advanced even once. Sometimes intermediate has a one or two F2P build units which is enough to brick my team usually.

Would do you consider a P2W team? Because I know plenty of F2P players with merged units, and one of my friends is F2P with a +10 Nowi. Just because you see a team with multiple merges and inherited skills doesn't mean they aren't F2P like you.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

And I'm honestly puzzled by how people keep winning outright. I'm constantly in literally unwinnable situations and can rarely find any good strategy to win, even when it involves dancing and Reposition/Swap/Pivot stuff.

I meant writing to IS themselves would require Japanese, but you're right.

What you consider a "literally unwinnable situation", another player might not. It all boils down to how good you are with strategy in the end. I've had a friend who's lost many matches that she considered "completely unwinnable" and "impossible" and yet when I play for her I'm able to think of strategies she couldn't and win those "impossible matches" (this isn't me trying to brag, just saying that what looks "impossible" to one player may not to another). 

• Replies 77.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

Just now, rockocalypse said:

It may seem ridiculous me saying this after our whole "deathless run" topic. But I have found one of the most powerful tools in arena (in my tiers) is being able to pull  the right units to fight you and sometimes even milling one of your units to do so. As long as you can set up 2 kills in a turn, the rest SHOULD prove trivial. Even if it means you lose a unit.

Also, ALWAYS take out dancers/ healers first. And pull Healers who attack to archers because they will attack and do nothing and you get free kills.

Seperating dancers is also a good tactic

I never can seem to get the right opponents and it's impossible to take out dancers and healers first when they're always kept behind the other units (sometimes via dancing, sometimes via the positioning skills I mentioned).

3 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Thanks for all the explanations, guys!

I do like the adjusted matchmaking, competing with players only in your tier. So I took a look at the chart on the main page, and I don't quite understand the last column, the one with the ~[number] starting at rank 8 indicating that you go down a rank. So if you don't reach 80% of your original score for the next season, does that mean you're demoted a rank?

I would assume it's 80th percentile of your tier's players. So top 80% of the players in your tier.

e.g. You need to be higher score than at least 20% of the other players in your tier if you don't want to be demoted.

Edited by Otorio

4 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

What you consider a "literally unwinnable situation", another player might not. It all boils down to how good you are with strategy in the end. I've had a friend who's lost many matches that she considered "completely unwinnable" and "impossible" and yet when I play for her I'm able to think of strategies she couldn't and win those "impossible matches" (this isn't me trying to brag, just saying that what looks "impossible" to one player may not to another). 

Either a match where the opponents have too much weapon advantage or a match where I look at all my options and no matter which I pick, I'd have a unit or two dead before I can kill any myself.

4 minutes ago, Otorio said:

I would assume it's 80th percentile of your tier's players. So top 80% of the players in your tier.

e.g. You need to be higher score than at least 20% of the other players in your tier if you don't want to be demoted.

That's actually a lot more lenient than I thought it would be :O

4 minutes ago, Otorio said:

Huh, then is that how it works for promotion? In order to get promoted to Mage General, do you have to have a higher score than a little over half of the people in your rank? Seems like a lot. o.o

10 minutes ago, rockocalypse said:

It may seem ridiculous me saying this after our whole "deathless run" topic. But I have found one of the most powerful tools in arena (in my tiers) is being able to pull  the right units to fight you and sometimes even milling one of your units to do so. As long as you can set up 2 kills in a turn, the rest SHOULD prove trivial. Even if it means you lose a unit.

Also, ALWAYS take out dancers/ healers first. And pull Healers who attack to archers because they will attack and do nothing and you get free kills.

Seperating dancers is also a good tactic

That might be one of your obstacles to winning deathless; the dancer is never ever the person you take out first, because there's no physical way to do so without losing a unit. Rather, you have to be prepared for (and take out) the unit that the enemy dancer is going to dance; after that, the dancer is usually too far away to dance other enemies.

It's not a random guess, especially if you've played enough to notice AI patterns and through trial and error. If a unit moves, and one of your units ends up in its final attack range, the dancer will always try to dance it if it can, so generally speaking you'll find yourself facing either a cavalry unit or a ranged unit (or a cavalry ranged unit) first. If the enemy team has multiple of those, the answer may be fuzzier, but it's still very doable.

If you're unsure, it's generally safe to just wait and see, because of how far ahead the danced unit will go.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

3 minutes ago, rockocalypse said:

Separating units is definitely something expected in high-level arena, but I take issue with this part. Arena isn't LTC, so taking the mindset that you need to clear as many opposing units off the board as quickly as possible isn't what gets deathless streaks in the first place. If you're in a situation where more than two enemy units need to be killed ASAP or you risk sacking someone, odds are that you didn't bait the enemy properly.

I don't know anything about your tier or scoring range, but I would be a bit surprised if deathless is an issue if you get placed in a high tier tomorrow, your resources notwithstanding.

I'm interested in seeing @Othin's thread go up at some point. I record arena runs in my spare time to evaluate the choices I make each game and to see where I could have improved. Granted, that might be a bit more effort than needed on something like a mobile game, but it works for me.

Just now, Extrasolar said:

Huh, then is that how it works for promotion? In order to get promoted to Mage General, do you have to have a higher score than a little over half of the people in your rank? Seems like a lot. o.o

I would think so. There's also ways to move more than a single tier by being in the top 20 or 30% too.

@MaskedAmpharos

Yeah it's looking to be pretty lenient. More people will be moving up tiers than down it seems.

1 minute ago, MrSmokestack said:

I'm interested in seeing @Othin's thread go up at some point. I record arena runs in my spare time to evaluate the choices I make each game and to see where I could have improved. Granted, that might be a bit more effort than needed on something like a mobile game, but it works for me.

Nerd

Spoiler

Jk I love you

Spoiler

But nerd.

Spoiler

Maybe I should actually do this myself...

Spoiler

Though I'm not quite sure what recording app to use or how to upload it

Spoiler

I'm not great with technology :/

Spoiler

halp

I also wouldn't mind an arena analysis thread to help people get more deathless runs, though I can't screenshot my phone so mine would be all text because I'm a pleb who doesn't want to wrangle with emulators

3 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

That's actually a lot more lenient than I thought it would be :O

Yeah, getting to high tiers doesn't seem to be as hard as it sounds. After someone posted estimates for the percentiles corresponding to different rankings in the arena after it settles, I ran the specific calculations for 100k players in tiers 7+ if things were to settle to the point where all tiers were of stable size (just as many people entering them as leaving them):

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 3.01.31 PM.png

15 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Would do you consider a P2W team? Because I know plenty of F2P players with merged units, and one of my friends is F2P with a +10 Nowi. Just because you see a team with multiple merges and inherited skills doesn't mean they aren't F2P like you.

16 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

By not being low tier, I mean that if your score range is about 680, then the resources you have at hand are not low tier. Which means, you have the tools to be able to fight other teams with four 5* level 40s. What even is your team though?

Glad you asked. I have many teams, but my main one consists of Atk- Def+ Soren with Fortify Res 2 and Growing Wind, Atk-  Spd+ Klein Death Blow 3, Quick Riposte 3 and atk Seal, Atk+ Spd - Ryoma with just Astra, Atk+ Spd- Tiki With Lightning Breath Plus, HP Seal and Bonfire. No Its not finished. But I typically do pretty well on intermediate with them. Full 7 win streak intermediate tier 10 or so iirc. Cant check my tier right now.

Since BOTH of you asked, I consider PTW teams with a buch of distant/close counters, +3s of feather necessary 5*s only, people with drawback/renewal three on every unit and stuff like that. With Hero fest and things like that, I guess I dont really know f2p s p2w anymore. But those are my old guidelines.

Edited by rockocalypse

3 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Nerd

Hide contents

Jk I love you

Hide contents

But nerd.

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

halp

Just play by play screenshots would work, honestly.

I've seen a few threads on Reddit where they discuss ways to get out of an "unwinnable" situation, so I'd also be quite interested! I've heard there's a way to record gameplay on Android, but does anyone know of an easy way to record on iOS?

Just now, MaskedAmpharos said:

Nerd

Reveal hidden contents

Jk I love you

Reveal hidden contents

But nerd.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

halp

I use GeForce Experience because that's what my motherboard came with. I record my games on Nox for dat fullscreen HD 60 fps Heroes goodness. Then again the average person doesn't have that kind of build, and I haven't looked into any other screen capturing software, but I definitely recommend Nox as the emulator because of the ease in rooting.

1 minute ago, rockocalypse said:

Glad you asked. I have many teams, but my main one consists of Atk- Def+ Soren with Fortify Res 2 and Growing Wind, Atk-  Spd+ Klein Death Blow 3, Quick Riposte 3 and atk Seal, Atk+ Spd - Ryoma with just Astra, Atk+ Spd- Tiki With Lightning Breath Plus, HP Seal. No Its not finished. But I typically do pretty well on intermediate with them. Full 7 win streak intermediate tier 10 or so iirc. Cant check my tier right now.

Since BOTH of you asked, I consider PTW teams with a buch of distant/close counters, +3s of feather necessary 5*s only, people with drawback/renewal three on every unit and stuff like that. With Hero fest and things like that, I guess I dont really know f2p s p2w anymore. But those are my old guidelines.

Resource-wise, there's absolutely no way you're a lower tier player. The things you have at hand are very clearly above average (even if those natures are a bit unfortunate).

I play at the 680 range (which your team should be in, but I'm too lazy to math) in Advanced, and I don't meet the kind of teams you're describing. Draw Back and Renewal are pretty common I guess, but they're not hard to play around. 690 is when those things start to show up a lot, but I don't think your team is in that range.

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Resource-wise, there's absolutely no way you're a lower tier player. The things you have at hand are very clearly above average (even if those natures are a bit unfortunate).

I play at the 680 range (which your team should be in, but I'm too lazy to math) in Advanced, and I don't meet the kind of teams you're describing. Draw Back and Renewal are pretty common I guess, but they're not hard to play around. 690 is when those things start to show up a lot, but I don't think your team is in that range.

:D *does a dance celebrating that I am not low tier*

I actually think together, my suboptimal natures compliment each other pretty well. Soren is a lost cause for sure. But I feel Tikis is quite good as she wont double a moose anyways, and Ryomas is not optimal but fine. And Deathblow+Glacies (which I forgot to mention) still nets enough instakills with Klein and I quadruple slightly more.

690 as in feather output or total all around global rank?

As far as feather output goes im much higher I can assure you.

Just now, rockocalypse said:

:D *does a dance celebrating that I am not low tier*

I actually think together, my suboptimal natures compliment each other pretty well. Soren is a lost cause for sure. But I feel Tikis is quite good as she wont double a moose anyways, and Ryomas is not optimal but fine. And Deathblow+Glacies (which I forgot to mention) still nets enough instakills with Klein and I quadruple slightly more.

As far as feather output goes im much higher I can assure you.

690 as in the score you get from every Advanced win.

2 minutes ago, rockocalypse said:

Number of points earned per game, assuming none of your units died.

Your Soren's in a tight spot, but it's nothing the BnB Raven Adept combo can't fix.

EDIT: Priestesses can reclass to ninja now.

Edited by MrSmokestack

3 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Priestesses can reclass to ninja now.

What if Celica's Ragnarok comes with Vantage lel? She can run Desperation and whatever she wants with it.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

1 minute ago, MrSmokestack said:

Number of points earned per game, assuming none of your units died.

Your Soren's in a tight spot, but it's nothing the BnB Raven Adept combo can't fix.

EDIT: Priestesses can reclass to ninja now.

Tell me more about this. All of this. Whats BnB Raven Adept (I have a 5* 40 Raven) and CLERICS getting Daggers????

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

690 as in the score you get from every Advanced win.

No, I get 690 from Intermediate fights. (Iirc advanced is one above that)

22 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Separating units is definitely something expected in high-level arena, but I take issue with this part. Arena isn't LTC, so taking the mindset that you need to clear as many opposing units off the board as quickly as possible isn't what gets deathless streaks in the first place. If you're in a situation where more than two enemy units need to be killed ASAP or you risk sacking someone, odds are that you didn't bait the enemy properly.

Well, having a 2 vs 4 situation nets you essentially a guaranteed win. But I see what you mean about doing it deathless and how my playstyle hinders that. Though, Im not pulling incorrectly. Im more just bloodthristy and go for maximizing early and low risk kills.

25 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

That might be one of your obstacles to winning deathless; the dancer is never ever the person you take out first, because there's no physical way to do so without losing a unit. Rather, you have to be prepared for (and take out) the unit that the enemy dancer is going to dance; after that, the dancer is usually too far away to dance other enemies.

It's not a random guess, especially if you've played enough to notice AI patterns and through trial and error. If a unit moves, and one of your units ends up in its final attack range, the dancer will always try to dance it if it can, so generally speaking you'll find yourself facing either a cavalry unit or a ranged unit (or a cavalry ranged unit) first. If the enemy team has multiple of those, the answer may be fuzzier, but it's still very doable.

If you're unsure, it's generally safe to just wait and see, because of how far ahead the danced unit will go.

That whole thing is interesting to me. i dont have much or a retort either. I just take out the dancer because Im a defensive player, and so I like to know exactly where I can be attacked from. An opposing dancer makes my deathsquare knowledge more risky. But I will consider this new found knowledge

2 minutes ago, rockocalypse said:

No, I get 690 from Intermediate fights. (Iirc advanced is one above that)

Wow, really? Then no wonder you're meeting the monsters in Advanced. You'd be fighting in the score range over >700 in Advanced, where p2w is actually expected.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

4 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

D̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶a̶s̶

Well they already technically have a personal tome with vantage it is enemy only though. They do have 3 swords with distant counter so who knows what they will do.