Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

English is a language that lures other languages into a dark ally, beats them up, and digs through their pockets for loose vocabulary and grammar.

• Replies 77.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

1 minute ago, XRay said:

My point is that we cannot rely on the Japanese pronunciation completely to predict the English pronunciation. We cannot be certain how L'arachel is pronounced until someone official actually says it English.

That's exactly why I responded to your initial inquiry with

47 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Not sure what you mean.

and then dropped a much explanation as I could. Your original question was ambiguous as to what you were asking.

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

You do have a point, but with modern technology, it is pretty easy to look up the chart and figure out what they mean. If American education actually improves, I am sure IPA will be taught in our schools and it will be more widely known.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm not sure if I should be laughing harder at "If American education actually improves" or "I am sure IPA will be taught in our schools".

7 minutes ago, Kaden said:

It's true, though. English is a messed up soup of Latin, the Germanic languages around there at the time, and loan words from practically every language. If you want, it's word vomit as a language. Or diarrhea. Oh look, corn!

That's not even all of it. It wouldn't be a problem of borrowing words if English actually changed how they were spelled to match the English pronunciation of each character. But English doesn't have a standard pronunciation of each character to begin with, so it keeps the spelling exactly the same, and now we're stuck with the vomit that we have.

Spanish, for example, does things like transcribe the Greek phi into the letter "f" to match its sound, unlike English, which transcribes it as "ph" to match... something historical no doubt.

11 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Also, I kind of of wished romaji had more accents than the horizontal line thingie, but that's probably my I learned stuff from French and it makes sense and seems convenient to me. Mostly the acute accent for the "e" at the end of words. In French, if a word ends with "é", then there's an "ay" sound at the end like "parlé" is "par-lay" and not "par-el" which would be "parle". I guess for a Japanese word, something like hime is not "heem" or "hee-mee", but "hee-may", so with an acute accent at the end, it'd be "himé".

Romaji doesn't need more diacritics than the macron to indicate a long vowel. Every character in romaji has a set pronunciation that doesn't change based on context. The "i" in "hime" is always pronounced "ee" regardless if it's in "kimi", "shima", or "ika". The "e" in "hime" is always pronounced "eh" regardless of if it's in "kaze", "seppun", or "ebi".

11 minutes ago, Kaden said:

It's true, though. English is a messed up soup of Latin, the Germanic languages around there at the time, and loan words from practically every language. If you want, it's word vomit as a language. Or diarrhea. Oh look, corn!

I prefer to refer to it as the mother of all harlots. Though to be fair all languages are to at least the slightest degree slutty and prone to change. That corn is only found in American English by the way, particularly the South. But hey, all this blind and rampant inter-everything banging counts as diversity and multiculturalism- yay! 

9 minutes ago, XRay said:

If American education actually improves, I am sure IPA will be taught in our schools and it will be more widely known.

Why bother with Indian Pale Ale? Lager is king! 

And why bother teaching phonetics? Coding, business, and sciences are the real thing the American educational system needs more of! Followed by history and civics. If you much else to say on this matter, bring it to Serious Discussion, I won't because I don't know much more.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm not sure if I should be laughing harder at "If American education actually improves" or "I am sure IPA will be taught in our schools".

"As long as colleges and universities can keep churning out enough intelligent individuals to keep things afloat, all will be okay." I guess that's been the US's motto since... the 16-something or others?

5 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

they're all bad

i hate puns

dont get me started or else i will seriously derail this thread

It isn't derailed already?

I keep checking to see if there's been a Banner leak, but haven't seen anything yet.

4 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

they're all bad

i hate puns

dont get me started or else i will seriously derail this thread

blame Rezzy and her glorious one-liners/puns

also you can't derail this thread anymore than it already is

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Romaji doesn't need more diacritics than the macron to indicate a long vowel. Every character in romaji has a set pronunciation that doesn't change based on context. The "i" in "hime" is always pronounced "ee" regardless if it's in "kimi", "shima", or "ika". The "e" in "hime" is always pronounced "eh" regardless of if it's in "kaze", "seppun", or "ebi".

though i know it's not, when i started learning Japanese i cemented it in my mind as things like bi and pi being an "accented" version of hi. no idea why. probably because it looks kinda similar to accented characters with just adding a dash or circle P:

9 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

English is a language that lures other languages into a dark ally, beats them up, and digs through their pockets for loose vocabulary and grammar.

No, you have it backwards; English is the language that gets beat up to a pulp by Romans, Viking, and the French. Old english spellings matched its' pronunciation, but once middle english came they had the GREAT VOWEL SHIFT and everything went nuts. 

15 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

You ate too much corn?

There is no such thing as too much corn. It is my favorite food.

15 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

It's one thing to be understood, but I do think it's important to strive to improve in a language. You can function in society as long as others understand you, but you can also improve yourself so people understand you better/easier.

I learnt phonics at a young age, and that alone has allowed me to guess my way through most English words I think.

That is true, but I prefer English to revert to its fun whimsy back in the past and screw the rules. I want English to be free.

13 minutes ago, cabbage5k2 said:

This thread's a spectacular mess tonight :D.

No, it is not. We are still talking about Heroes. Heroes has many language settings, so talking about languages is completely justified.

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

now we're stuck with the vomit that we have.

Laughing at me is one thing, but it is messed up to pick on a poor language who cannot even fight back. English is beautiful, no matter what naysayers say. In the future, English will dominate the globe and we will see who has the last laugh!

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And why bother teaching phonetics? Coding, business, and sciences are the real thing the American educational system needs more of! Followed by history and civics. If you much else to say on this matter, bring it to Serious Discussion, I won't because I don't know much more.

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

This is Serious Discussion. This thread is everything.

Thanks buddy!

Edited by XRay

10 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

say goodbye to dad jokes, make way for Mom Jokes (TM)

2 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

blame Rezzy and her glorious one-liners/puns

Having procreated, my humor has forever been changed.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

In the future, English will dominate the globe and we will see who has the last laugh!

The Lingua Franca is the Lingua Omnipotentia. Hence in the future, the Lingua Franca will be Lingua Sino-however-you-Italinize-it. The Asians here are actually time travelers from that day in the future, secretly boasting about that day to come.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Having procreated, my humor has forever been changed.

i respect it. 

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I see. Well, it's already getting there maybe.

discourse-monger-unkawaiipigdog-2007-lan

lol

but a correction, y'all'd've has existed for me since i was born, as i was raised in RedneckVille Hillbilly Podunk Town 

5 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

though i know it's not, when i started learning Japanese i cemented it in my mind as things like bi and pi being an "accented" version of hi. no idea why. probably because it looks kinda similar to accented characters with just adding a dash or circle P:

That's actually one of the cool things about Japanese. With the only exception of h-b-p, the dakuten mark (two dots in the corner) indicates that the consonant is voiced instead of unvoiced (for h-b-p, b has the dakuten, but it's a voiced p instead of a voiced h). Most speakers of English (and probably any other language using the Latin alphabet) don't know that the "k" sound and the "g" sound are the exact same sound with the only difference being that your vocal chords vibrate for the "g" (hence "voiced"). This is also the reason why it's impossible to pronounce a "g" sound without putting a vowel after it (even if it's the neutral "uh" vowel), but it's possible to pronounce a "k" sound without a vowel. And for the same reason, attempting to pronounce a "g" sound without a vowel after it results in a "k" sound.

7 minutes ago, XRay said:

Laughing at me is one thing, but it is messed up to pick on a poor language who cannot even fight back. English is beautiful, no matter what naysayers say. In the future, English will dominate the globe and we will see who has the last laugh!

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Lingua Franca is the Lingua Omnipotentia. Hence in the future, the Lingua Franca will be Lingua Sino-however-you-Italinize-it. The Asians here are actually time travelers from that day in the future, secretly boasting about that day to come.

Those who have watched Firefly know that in the future, it is actually Chinese will dominate the galaxy.

1 minute ago, wizzard of soz said:

but a correction, y'all'd've has existed for me since i was born, as i was raised in RedneckVille Hillbilly Podunk Town 

I've heard of "y'all" existing since like, the 70s or 80s? But I didn't know they also slapped on "d've"....

i respect it. 

lol

My favorite is I'm'na, which is short for "I am going to".

wtf

r u a product of incest

is that what they do there

i srsly have no idea. thats all i know about that culture

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

I have to disagree there.When you learn phonetics and the meaning of words, you learn the history of the people who spoke it. Why is John Lackland called that? Because he did not have any land! (Rimshot). Political leaders and movements change the words we use. Now we can say "bigly".

So does anyone know how to pronounce Falchion?

4 minutes ago, Rezanator said:

Fal-shee-uhn.

EDIT: Or fal-shun.

EDIT2: Dictionary says fal-chun is also correct.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Just now, Rezanator said:

I have to disagree there.When you learn phonetics and the meaning of words, you learn the history of the people who spoke it. Why is John Lackland called that? Because he did not have any land! (Rimshot). Political leaders and movements change the words we use. Now we can say "bigly".

Fal (rhymes with Gal)- shun

27 minutes ago, XRay said:

Sure, it is inconvenient, but I think there is beauty in all that chaos. I find the little nuances charming in English.

As someone who had to deal with 4 to kind of 5 different languages growing up, chaos is not fun. Both parents spoke Vietnamese and of course, English since that's the official language of the US. Primarily Vietnamese since they're old and English was more of when they're out and interacting with Americans. Dad spoke Vietnamese and sometimes inserted French words if he didn't know them in English or if Vietnamese didn't have a word for it while mom spoke Cantonese and occasionally used Mandarin which my maternal uncle was more proficient in since he volunteers are Buddhist temples a lot.

Personally, I consider myself barely fluent or literate in any of the languages I know.

20 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's not even all of it. It wouldn't be a problem of borrowing words if English actually changed how they were spelled to match the English pronunciation of each character. But English doesn't have a standard pronunciation of each character to begin with, so it keeps the spelling exactly the same, and now we're stuck with the vomit that we have.

Hello, I am a jaguar. Expect 3 different pronunciations with possibly variances because of differing dialects and accents in different regions.

English doesn't really need a standard pronunciation for a character. Well, it could, but if the damn language had at least one accent to denote that a different pronunciation was used, then maybe it would be bit better.

20 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Yeah, this is probably more of personal problem and me trying to make it easier to know exactly how a word even if I'm used to it.

This probably has to do with a hilariously traumatic childhood and life of not knowing how stuff is pronounced. There was a time when I was a kid and I had no idea how Jacob was pronounced. I legitimately thought it was "jaah-cob". To this day, this continues and I'm like, "Uh... what is this? What language am I supposed to be thinking in again and how is this supposed to be pronounced?"

At least French has accents and Japanese is phonetic, so they're a bit easier. I'm illiterate in Chinese and Vietnamese, so that's my fault, but English? RIP.

3 minutes ago, Rezanator said:

"Dragon Slayer". :p

Lucina (Laura Bailey) says it as "fal-chen" and I think someone says it as "fal-key-on". That's four different pronunciations just given to you. Have fun.

Edited by Kaden