• Kellam
    • Kjelle
    • Oboro
    • Shiro
    • Benny
    • Effie
    • Ignatius
    • I don't know

Knights are defensive powerhouses. Their high Defence means that they can be sat on a chokepoint and hold an enemy advance indefinitely. However, low resistance makes them good targets for mages, and low Speed and Move makes them difficult to recommend for offensive movements.

Soldiers are like Knights, only not. After their introduction in the Arachnea era and a stint in the spotlight in the Tellius era, Soldiers have been synonymous with 'red shirts'- fitting, since many enemy armies wear red. When they are good, though, they're like cavaliers without horses... and since horses aren't too good in FE10...

I was on the fence about including Soldiers in today's poll. However, the research into finding all the names needed shows Soldiers promote into Knights in Gaiden. Conundrum solved.

Amelia also fits in Cavalier, and she will be in there. There are a few fun characters like that. Combining Fighter with Pirate made Ross not like that.

EDIT: Forgot Meg. I was proud of listing everyone from Veteran from memory, too...

Edited by phineas81707

Missed opportunity to leave Kellam off the poll.

Anyway, Hannibal, Wendy, Effie.

Hannibal's a cool character, Wendy's garbo but so unique that she just stands out way more than any other veteran lancer to me, and Effie's cool.

Edited by Slumber

well classic, Draug without a question, he carried my shadow dragon playthrough and was the only unit besides Marth to reach their level cap, but since I used him mainly, the rest of my army suffered and only a few units were plausible at endgame, (though Caeda was right up there with him), for veteran hands down Amelia, she is the best unit on my sacred stones run, and for modern, I'll go Oboro, since she is technically a soldier which we haven't had playable since the tellius games, plus intriguing character, High HM to Nephenee though, she is amazing, just Amelia having great shield slightly trumps her

Classic: Sheema. Not really a fan of any of them, but Sheema has a cool design.

Veteran: Oswin for being pretty useful

Modern: Was going to vote Effie when I came in but then realized that Spear Masters do go under Soldier and I gotta go with my son Shiro

54 minutes ago, SullyMcGully said:

The only one I'm crazy about is Nephenee. She may not have the best personality, but she qualifies for "most versatile unit in series' history".

Hot take: This only applies to the middle part of Path of Radiance. She's still good endgame, but she really only shines in the middle game.

Don't even get me started on her in Radiant Dawn. It actively makes me like her less in Path of Radiance, where I used to be a big fan of hers.

Edited by Slumber

Draug, Oswin and Oboro.

I don't consider any of the armours exceptional in the early FEs in particular, and it shows how tough it was to choose one. That being said, Draug is the OG armour (and a god), so him barely. Hannibal, Ardan and Dalshin would be noted if they mattered more in their games. (OK, also Princess Sheema)

Oswin wins this by a good bit, because he's not in a tough field with the other GBA FEs and he has a good involvement in the plot. Amelia gets a mention as better at being a female armour who starts weak than Wendy. (I should mention I haven't played Tellius, hence ignoring those titles)

Much as I wouldn't think of Oboro as a Knight class, I understand why she's here, and Oboro is one of the best Hoshidan units and characters, so of course I'm picking her. Kellam gets a mention with being Kellam. (Can't speak on the Fates kids/Conquest/Revelations units)

Edited by Dayni

The one and only DOGA for Classic, Nephenee for Veteran for a good design and good performance, Oboro for Modern (I love her perfectly balanced stats that you can mold into anything you want, as well as her design and skill tree). Honorable mention to Gilliam.

11 minutes ago, Sweet_Basil said:

I'm upset there's no Meg in the poll but I voted Sheema and Gilliam (would have voted Meg if she was)

...Now I'm just embarrased.

(Wouldn't be the first time I forgot her, too...)

2 minutes ago, unique said:

meg for "veteran"(???) 

i don't really like any in the other two categories so i chose i don't know for modern and hannibal for classic purely because of my avatar

'Veteran' mostly because many non-Japanese Fire Emblem fans found their feet somewhere between 6 and 10.

Classic, Veteran and Modern all feel distinct, even if the naming scheme is odd.

I do like a lot of them though :P I notice people toss knights aside but I find a lot of them likable as either characters or their designs. If I had to rank my top 10 favorites it would be in this order (not counting soldiers or Amelia):

1. Meg
2. Gilliam
3. Benny 
4. Gatrie
5. Sheema
6. Effie 
7. Tauroneo 
8. Wendy
9. Ardan 
10. Brom

For classic I chose Xavier because I find him, of all people, attractive. Otherwise I would have chosen Sheema or Draug.

For veteran I chose Wendy because I adore her and she was like one of my best units in my first playthrough of FE6. If she wasn't in the poll I would have voted either Oswin or Gilliam, both of whom I find attractive (what is wrong with me?)

I didn't choose anyone for modern.

1. Due to my ignorance of the Kaga games, I went with Douga/Draug as he is the only default knight I ever used (I usually just switch Zigaro/Sedgar into a General due to his broken growths).

2. I picked Aran simply because of how useful he is in the Dawn Brigade chapters (I know Meg has better bases, but his growths are better for a defensive unit). Too bad he is severely limited by his caps.

3. I like Benoit the best due him being a decent person and not being obnoxious, even if he just the cowardly-gentle-giant cliche. Calum's/Kellam's gimmick becomes tiring after a while, but he is at least decent statistically. Oboro and Effie are two obnoxious anime cliches that have never been funny.

Oboro is the lady with the "scary face" who uses her "scary face" (which is not that scary) to make others do what she wants. Effie, on the other hand, is the super-strong waif lady who surprises all the men with her strength (which is a joke about as trite as a man in drag). Effie's lack of mass compared to her strength also breaks my suspension of disbelief as her lack of mass means that she cannot generate enough leverage to properly make use of her strength, and that she will be thrown around by her ridiculously heavy weapons (I guess her armor would help a little bit, but not by much).Granted, super strength, like super speed, brings up a lot questions that are hard to ignore once the suspension of disbelief is broken.

...I am such a nerd who cares about such stupid things.