• Miriel
    • Ricken
    • Laurent
    • Orochi
    • Hayato
    • Rhajat
    • Izana
    • I don't know

Starting the trinity of magic with Anima, Mages are the bread and butter of any magical arnament. They are by far the most common type, and Anima magic is ordinary, yet effective. The lack of strong Resistances among enemies that aren't mages means high damage, and 1-2 range makes it easy to deal damage without fear of counterattack. The weakness of mages is that they lack HP and Defence, as well as tomes being rather heavy (which combines with the fact that Mages tend to lack whatever stat weight is based on), meaning that a strong physical attack on one of your mages often tends to be deadly- and an onslaught of them even more so.

Trying to cobble together this list was rather interesting, seeing as how what is known as the standard 'Mage promotes into Sage' formula has been straddled in many non-Veteran games, as well as how Light and Dark have odd appearances and disappearances. Hopefully, the four Mage polls should go well.

Dunno / Erk / Ricken

Erk was not only one of my fastest-favorite units when I first started playing, his crotchety behavior despite his good heard is something I really connected with. Super relatable haha. 

TBH with modern mages I don't really have much of a preference, just went with Ricken 'cause my wife likes him and I have sort of a positive association with him through that. He's pretty good in his own right, though. 

1. Linde because, why not?

2. I know Ewan is bad, but I like the freedom of choice he presents as he can be a variety of things.

3. Laurent is a surprisingly decent character. He is very much like his mother in that he is rather bookish, but with proper emotional intelligence.

Classic: Asvel because he's the best bosskiller. Seriously holsety isn't as much needed in FE4 as grafcalibur in 5. Also since when does he have the same name as the Tales of Graces f protagonist?

Veteran: Lute because she can solo FE8 and her personality is great too.

Classic: None because I find mages in the latest FE games not really good.

Classic: Should be obvious. The lecherous, hard partying bard who was basically the first proper Nino archetype and could pretty much max out every stat with scrolls and Elite. HM to Ced, Llewyn and Asvel, all of whom are great and have good-to-broken PRF weapons.

Veteran: Hugh. Only Mage worth using in FE6, is Canas' son, and also has purple/pink hair, like Homer. HM to RD Bastion and Nino, every other Veteran Mage can burn in a bonfire.

Modern: LOL

Edited by Slumber

Classic: It was a hard choice between Lewyn, Taillte, Merric, Arthur, and Ced. I went with Taillte for looking beautiful and cute as heck and her backstory, relationship with Azel, and tragic end is enough to mak me love her. Ced and Arthur are tied for second.

Veteran: Lute, obviously.

Modern: Don't know.

Azelle (I absolutely adore this boy... probably more then I should. 2nd place goes to Lewyn for being awesome)

Soren (....tiny jerk)

Hayato (the one I dislike the least, the mages recently have been very meh)

10 minutes ago, Sylphid said:

So this is something that just occurred to me, but why do characters original to FE11/12 count as classic?

Largely to avoid the hassle of trying to sort them out. It can be tricky on occasion to recognise which listed characters are bosses.

Well, at any rate, there's only one left, but I'm fairly sure Etzel's class isn't going to be split by time period...

Lewyn, Soren, Izana

Lewyn,  Azelle & Tailtiu were close seconds. 

Soren, Nino & Lilina were very close seconds.

Izana... because I can kind of stand him he's kind of funny at times, but really I hate everyone in this class in the 3DS era they all suck.

Levant Mir Celestia: Honestly, I have a soft spot for peg knights, but I'd imagine that would depend on who comes prepromoted into Dracoknight in the pre-falcoknight games.

NinjaMonkey: Shamans have few enough members that they need the Dark Mages if they want to stand as a non-split poll. And Sanaki is based on the Arch Sage, with reference to SS Sage in Light Magic. She really shouldn't be split by such a minor distinction.

1 hour ago, phineas81707 said:

Levant Mir Celestia: Honestly, I have a soft spot for peg knights, but I'd imagine that would depend on who comes prepromoted into Dracoknight in the pre-falcoknight games.

There was just Minerva (and Michalis in New Mystery). Wyvern riders didn't split off from pegasi until Genealogy. 

8 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

There was just Minerva (and Michalis in New Mystery). Wyvern riders didn't split off from pegasi until Genealogy. 

I had a look for wyverns and pegasus differences. Yeah, that looks correct.

I think whether they get combined will depend on how the sizes look both combined and split.

Edited by phineas81707