White Robe Dude = Avatar?

Anacybele

I was thinking lately, guys. Remember in the trailer, we saw a guy in a white robe and he looked an awful lot like a hooded Robin. The robe even has some similar markings. He was also carrying...a gun? lolwut.

But I don't think it's really the kind of gun that would normally come to mind for us. I think White Robe Dude is the Avatar or at least is meant to be the person summoning the characters in the game and his "gun" is the summoning device. Notice how we don't ever see this character anywhere else in the trailer, whereas we do see others battling and stuff. We also never see White Robe Dude's face, so we don't even know the gender and this means we might be able to choose it. The character is also not shown to be on any particular character's side either while Alfonse and Shareena are the "good" guys and Veronica and White Hair Mask Dude are the "bad" guys.

And didn't we get a confirmation a long time ago that there was some kind of Avatar in the game? I saw a thread like that, I'm sure of it.

I'm not particularly fond of the resemblance to Robin though, it feels boring and unoriginal. I feel like Alfonse and Veronica share too many similarities with Chrom and Tharja too. Shareena is pretty neat though. But anyway.

Edited by Anacybele

Oh, this was confirmed? I didn't know, sorry. I just happened to see others saying lately that there doesn't appear to be an Avatar or anything and it reminded me of that thought I put in the OP.

I guess this can be locked then, my mistake...

I don't think it's directly stated, but it's directly inferable by a couple factors including their deliberate lack of facial features, the fact that we see them summoning other characters (a known mechanic in the game), and the lack of official/character art and a character bio on the main site (all the other new characters have a bio on the site even mr. mysterious masked man). 

Edited by BANRYU

43 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

Yeah, it's the PC. I suspect the character was designed predominantly for the trailer and may not actually even appear in the game, but we'll see. 

Funny you should say that, as it looks like the character is just a re-textured Robin (right down to the weird double belt thing around the waist). Since the trailer was seemingly done by the people who did Awakening and Fates' CG cutscenes, a corner cutting measure like this would make sense.

6 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Funny you should say that, as it looks like the character is just a re-textured Robin (right down to the weird double belt thing around the waist). Since the trailer was seemingly done by the people who did Awakening and Fates' CG cutscenes, a corner cutting measure like this would make sense.

Yeah, that'd make sense haha. Since it seems like there's not even official art of them anywhere (not that I've seen at least), I wouldn't doubt that this could be the case.

Honestly, the whole reusing of hooded figures is starting to irk me. They did it in Fates too, for a character who turned out having a completely different body type, too.

52 minutes ago, JDtheBA said:

I think he has a name. Kiran, I believe

Source? And are you referring to White Robe Dude or White Hair Mask Dude?

But I see, I guess there is some discussion here after all.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Source? And are you referring to White Robe Dude or White Hair Mask Dude?

But I see, I guess there is some discussion here after all.

Polygon's hands on video has the player named Kiran, but I originally thought it was just the name of the guy covering it.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I was thinking lately, guys. Remember in the trailer, we saw a guy in a white robe and he looked an awful lot like a hooded Robin. The robe even has some similar markings. He was also carrying...a gun? lolwut.

But I don't think it's really the kind of gun that would normally come to mind for us. I think White Robe Dude is the Avatar or at least is meant to be the person summoning the characters in the game and his "gun" is the summoning device. Notice how we don't ever see this character anywhere else in the trailer, whereas we do see others battling and stuff. We also never see White Robe Dude's face, so we don't even know the gender and this means we might be able to choose it. The character is also not shown to be on any particular character's side either while Alfonse and Shareena are the "good" guys and Veronica and White Hair Mask Dude are the "bad" guys.

And didn't we get a confirmation a long time ago that there was some kind of Avatar in the game? I saw a thread like that, I'm sure of it.

I'm not particularly fond of the resemblance to Robin though, it feels boring and unoriginal. I feel like Alfonse and Veronica share too many similarities with Chrom and Tharja too. Shareena is pretty neat though. But anyway.

I got more of a Nyx feel from Veronica. Also, yes, Shareena is pretty cool.

10 minutes ago, Nym said:

Good thing to know that wasn't the only one to think he had a gun...

My literal first thoughts seeing that was, "Oh crap, this guy is packing heat!" It contrasts so much with everything else going on! It got a good laugh outta me at least! :P: 

2 minutes ago, InfinityAlex said:

Honestly, the whole reusing of hooded figures is starting to irk me. They did it in Fates too, for a character who turned out having a completely different body type, too.

Oh yeah...how did he not stand out like a sore thumb among all those people......actually...a better question, why do it anyway? It's not like it changes what happened or what he was gonna do. 

Anyway, the Hooded figure thing will DEFINITELY get old if the person's figure looks the same all the time! As long as the Avatar is around, so will the hooded figure thing(unless they just make it so they have a specific look for the Avatar in cutscenes, which I would kinda prefer over not seeing my Avatar's face all the time)! 

14 minutes ago, InfinityAlex said:

Polygon's hands on video has the player named Kiran, but I originally thought it was just the name of the guy covering it.

8 minutes ago, Frozenkappa said:

Kiran is just the name they placed for the preview account (at least looking at Polygon and GameExplain's screenshot videos).

FEH_Kiran.png

Oh, I see now. And wow, that looks like a really random name for the gun...

And it literally shoots the heroes out of it... Man, I can already see the joke art that'll come out of this. xP

19 minutes ago, InfinityAlex said:

6 minutes ago, Busterman64 said:

Oh yeah...how did he not stand out like a sore thumb among all those people......actually...a better question, why do it anyway? It's not like it changes what happened or what he was gonna do. 

Anyway, the Hooded figure thing will DEFINITELY get old if the person's figure looks the same all the time! As long as the Avatar is around, so will the hooded figure thing(unless they just make it so they have a specific look for the Avatar in cutscenes, which I would kinda prefer over not seeing my Avatar's face all the time)! 

They probably watched or played too much Kingdom Heart 2 or 358/2 days xD. They wanted to have badass hooded figures just like Organisation XIII.

8 minutes ago, Busterman64 said:

My literal first thoughts seeing that was, "Oh crap, this guy is packing heat!" It contrasts so much with everything else going on! It got a good laugh outta me at least! :P: 

They could've at least give him a crossbow or something.

1 minute ago, Nym said:

They probably watched or played too much Kingdom Heart 2 or 358/2 days xD. They wanted to have badass hooded figures just like Organisation XIII.

Calling it now, we're gonna have a rival in FE15 and they're gonna be wearing a black hooded coat for a part of the game! When it happens, be ready to pick up the phone! :P:

5 minutes ago, Nym said:

They could've at least give him a crossbow or something.

Yeah...quite honestly, since they already made the dood look like Robin, just go ahead and go (almost) all the way and just give the guy a tome and let him summon via magic! Heck, there is LITERAL a summoner class in Sacred Stones that lets you summon units(sure they kinda suck, but you get my point)! And I think both Veronica and the Masked Guy you see in the trailer can do that(not 100% sure on that), so...why the weird looking gun? Is it suppose to represent our phone or something(either way, a tome would've fit better regardless)?

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, I see now. And wow, that looks like a really random name for the gun...

And it literally shoots the heroes out of it... Man, I can already see the joke art that'll come out of this. xP

It's another norse mythology reference, nothing too strange or out of the ordinary for Fire Emblem, really... if anything it's par for the course lol. Fire Emblem loves referencing Norse myth

18 hours ago, RedRob said:

Should have called it Vahalla then. Would have made some sense then.

They mighta wanted something a bit more subtle haha. I see your point though.