Am I the only one who loves that this game got rid of Luck and Skill?

NOTchazbc24

To me, its a bold direction for the series, and I feel as though the absence of chance really punctuates the strategy aspect of Fire Emblem in a positive way. Would you guys like to see them apply this streamlined system to a non-grindable mainline entry? or am i just crazy?

I do understand where you're coming from since at times the RNG can be frustrating to deal with but not having dodge in a main series would basically kill the difference between classes like the Myrmidon and the Mercenary, essentially making the Myrmidon a kind of "one use nuke" that you'd have to heal after every attack due to them not being able to dodge the heavy damage they will likely take and the Merc is probably still gonna hit harder, if perhaps being a little slower.

Also keep in mind that while most of the stuff in FE is fantasy to the max and completely detached from reality, having "a chance" to hit or dodge adds realism. Your skill with a sword makes you more likely to hit your target, but their speed makes them more likely to dodge.

I say that it was a necessary change for the mobile format, but you'll never see it in a "real" Fire Emblem game. It's just too core to the game. 

I think it's a good move for a mobile game, as I find the better ones are the more simplified ones. However, I wouldn't want FE, in general, to drop luck and skill from a mainstream game. It's more of a strategy and play time within the game you are spending. FE: Heroes is more of a five minute pop in and do a map then leave, while, FE: Fates and Awakening (For example) is let's play a map for about 15-30 minutes and go to the next one if you have the time for it.

I understand why they'd do it for a mobile game to simplify everything, but I like Skill and Luck as part of the mainline FE games.

FE Heroes is basically FE light.  It's nice for the go, but I wouldn't want this to be the norm for the series.

I'm glad they went and used this game to experiment with such an idea. Being able to avoid things more often was just one of the many boons of having high Speed, and I really want to see Fire Emblem games where the best units are not just the fastest ones. So far, this game and Fates debatably fit the bill, making a variety of units viable for reasons other than speed growth.

Another cool idea I might want to see spawn from Heroes is skills activating in a non random way. Like, say, units charging up a meter based on a variety of factors. But nah, the tension of missing and critical hits is key to a series centered on perma death. Random elements serve to make every play experience unique. And I don't feel randomness is a design flaw for a strategy series. When you fail to judge enemy strength and a unit is about to be axed yet dodges a 47% hit, that feels like a miracle. Obviously an inverse scenario sucks, but the games are designed with enemies sporting low skill, luck, and no activatable skills, at least on easier difficulties. So it's extremely rare for a brilliant strategy to fail in fire emblem until you hit lunatic mode, that's the balance they go for.

"Another cool idea I might want to see spawn from Heroes is skills activating in a non random way."

They actually have done this in mainline Fire Emblem through Fates version of Dual Guard

Regardless the way skill works in this game, and the mechanic of SP is something i won't mind making its way to mainline FE

Yes, it's just you.  This applies to any other question you want to as SF.

On a more serious note, not really.  Skill/Luck were given a few more applications in recent games.

"Bold direction" implying that a mobile spin-off cash cow is gonna be a real game changer for the mechanics of the mainline games.

I think it suits the more simplified "play on the go" style Heroes was going for, but it's hard for me to see it being implemented into the main series.  Aside from the fact that skill and luck have a wider application to the mechanics thanks to skills and whatnot, they have always had a substantial effect on your battle stats.  They add a complexity to the game that results in it being more than just numbers because it gives you a lot of "what-if" scenarios.

What if this attack doesn't hit and the enemy and his buddies attack my unit?

What if this guy crits my unit?

What if I crit this guy?

What if I don't crit him?

So you have a layer of "risk versus reward" strategizing.  Without that, you will always know exactly what will happen if you pay close enough attention to the enemy AI patterns.  In essence, the randomness deepens the strategy element of the series.

Getting screwed by the RNG is the fun part about FE. It makes it more satisfying to beat the games, like Thracia 666. 

1 hour ago, L9999 said:

Getting screwed by the RNG is the fun part about FE. It makes it more satisfying to beat the games, like Thracia 666. 

Exactly. Not to mention the tense tactics that it offers as well. So just because you got someone like Rutger, even though his avoid is high, you can't always rely on him to dodge and you can't solo the map using him alone. There's a reason why FE spoon feeds you into getting more units in the first place.

Though I do wonder if they can implement hit rate and critical rate without using skill & luck....

Yes, I am happy to have RNG-reliance eliminated from the gameplay, same as I was with Dual-strike/guard elements in Fates VS Awakening. would that could do it from all aspects of the randomness in this game lol but that's just how it is I guess

I'm actually impressed with how they managed to streamline the FE formula to integrate procs and such without the use of those stats. I like that each of the units have personalized little skill sets, too. 

i agree that skl/lck add more complexity, but i also agree that it's refreshing to not have them in this game. i could totally see them adding these mechanics to future casual modes in the main games, and i don't think it would even need that much extra programming.