apparently 5* guarantee resets after each new focus group

geozeldadude

this may be common knowledge, but i was reading the fine print on the % increase after each failure to get a 5*, and apparently it's only valid within the current focus group and resets for the new focus group. this seems like a major bummer to me. it feels unnecessarily trollish for a game that is already super troll-y b/c of the gasha mechanics. :p

Edited by geozeldadude

Other games don't even give you a boost to your chances of getting a 5-star if you fail or give you a guaranteed 5-star after 120 failures. Be grateful this mechanic exists at all.

Those in the Tales of Asteria community might be familiar with the "Stahn curse".

Yeah, there aren't many gacha games that actually raise the odds of you getting a super rare unit after failing to do so. There are "pity rares", but they aren't always of the highest rarity.

This game's odds aren't terrible like other gacha games either; the chance to get the highest tier is three times higher than the other games I've played!

One of the things that interests me is the way they word the guaranteed 5* unit after 120 non-5* units. It says "summoning with any of the five summoning stones will result in a 5* Hero." Does this mean you get five 5* units? If that's the case, that would one hell of a summoning.

But I think the math makes it so that the chances are less than 0.01% to get 120 consecutive non-5* units.

4 minutes ago, YueLiang said:

One of the things that interests me is the way they word the guaranteed 5* unit after 120 non-5* units. It says "summoning with any of the five summoning stones will result in a 5* Hero." Does this mean you get five 5* units? If that's the case, that would one hell of a summoning.

But I think the math makes it so that the chances are less than 0.01% to get 120 consecutive non-5* units.

Lol, I wouldn't believe that you'd get five 5*s, but it'd be pretty cool if that happened.

8 minutes ago, YueLiang said:

Well getting 5 5*'s like that would go a long way to balancing your luck out. :)

Seriously, you'd need worse luck than Arthur to go 120 rolls without a single 5*. I don't think I've gone more than 15 without a 5* showing up.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Other games don't even give you a boost to your chances of getting a 5-star if you fail or give you a guaranteed 5-star after 120 failures. Be grateful this mechanic exists at all.

They do have to make the odds not too bad, or they risk the ire of the Japanese government who like to crack down on gacha games that looks too much like gambling.

10 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Seriously, you'd need worse luck than Arthur to go 120 rolls without a single 5*. I don't think I've gone more than 15 without a 5* showing up.

I've certainly gone more than fifteen... >_>

In fact, I think I've done about thirty summons now, and none were five star. Hell, not many were even four star. Most of my current four star units were upgraded from three star. It'd be ages before I actually reach 120 summons, so I've settled on the belief that the only way I'll ever get a five star is to hoard 20,000 feathers and a bunch of great badges. I might have the first ever five star Freddy anyway! (he can't be summoned as one) Though if not, that doesn't matter to me, I want to upgrade him regardless. :P

I think it's fine to be reset per each batch of characters. The game's pretty generous to implement "dynamic growths" on appearance rate. While it still is rare to get a 5*, it's actually a high chance to get one (like the chances of getting Minwu in Mobius FF fuck it). I hope we get the chance really soon as I already have 20+ orbs for the first summon session.

On this 2 batches I made around 20 or 25 summons, getting me only 2 5*, quite a few of 4*s and the rest were 3* or dupes.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I've certainly gone more than fifteen... >_>

In fact, I think I've done about thirty summons now, and none were five star. Hell, not many were even four star. Most of my current four star units were upgraded from three star. It'd be ages before I actually reach 120 summons, so I've settled on the belief that the only way I'll ever get a five star is to hoard 20,000 feathers and a bunch of great badges. I might have the first ever five star Freddy anyway! (he can't be summoned as one) Though if not, that doesn't matter to me, I want to upgrade him regardless. :P

If you tell us what your chances of pulling a 5* and a 5* focus is in each focus group, we can tell you exactly how many pulls you've made without drawing a 5* unit.

Just now, Raven said:

If you tell us what your chances of pulling a 5* and a 5* focus is in each focus group, we can tell you exactly how many pulls you've made without drawing a 5* unit.

Uh...what? I don't understand how this works. And I don't know those chances anyway...

Just now, Anacybele said:

Uh...what? I don't understand how this works. And I don't know those chances anyway...

Go to the Orbs tab as if you're going to spend orbs on units. Then click on the "Appearance rates" button.

My Legendary Heroes group is currently 3.5%/3.5% (so 7% total) because I've pulled 10 units from it in a row with no 5* units.

3 minutes ago, Raven said:

Go to the Orbs tab as if you're going to spend orbs on units. Then click on the "Appearance rates" button.

My Legendary Heroes group is currently 3.5%/3.5% (so 7% total) because I've pulled 10 units from it in a row with no 5* units.

Oh, I see now.

I have 3.75% for both. So 7.5% I think?

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

Oh, I see now.

I have 3.75% for both. So 8.25% I think?

That'd be 7.5% = 15 units pulled from that focus group in a row that weren't 5*. Spending orbs on a single group instead of splitting between Legendary Heroes and Deep Devotion is usually the best method for increasing your chances of pulling a 5* unit, since the chances for a 5* do not increase in both packs simultaneously.

Yeah, I edited my post when I realized I did the math wrong. I've done more than 15 summons though. I still have ten of those summons right now. Around five more were duplicates which I merged with other units or sent home. And I sent maybe eight more home. So that's 15 + 5 + 8 = 28. I was right, close to 30.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I edited my post when I realized I did the math wrong. I've done more than 15 summons though. I still have ten of those summons right now. Around five more were duplicates which I merged with other units or sent home. And I sent maybe eight more home. So that's 15 + 5 + 8 = 28. I was right, close to 30.

If you've not pulled a 5* unit yet, then you've probably split your pulls between the 2 packs. What are your 5* chances in the other one?

5 minutes ago, Raven said:

If you've not pulled a 5* unit yet, then you've probably split your pulls between the 2 packs. What are your 5* chances in the other one?

3.5%

So I guess since that's what you had, that's 10 pulls with no five star unit. 10+15 = 25, so I still wasn't far off with my guess of near thirty summons total at this point.

Yep. In future, if you intend to pull any more before the next focus packs are released, go for the one with 7.5% total. If you'd made all your unit pulls from a single pack, you'd have an 8.5% chance of a 5* from that pack.

15 minutes ago, Raven said:

Yep. In future, if you intend to pull any more before the next focus packs are released, go for the one with 7.5% total. If you'd made all your unit pulls from a single pack, you'd have an 8.5% chance of a 5* from that pack.

Gotcha. I'll definitely do this when Ike appears there. Seriously, he's a given for a focus hero, I would think. :P And I NEED all three Ikes!

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Gotcha. I'll definitely do this when Ike appears there. Seriously, he's a given for a focus hero, I would think. :P And I NEED all three Ikes!

I hope your luck turns around when he comes, I know how much you love him. You indeed got very unlucky, since on average someone should get a 5* every 11-12 summons or so I believe, doing some quick math. 

11 minutes ago, Birdy said:

I hope your luck turns around when he comes, I know how much you love him. You indeed got very unlucky, since on average someone should get a 5* every 11-12 summons or so I believe, doing some quick math. 

Yeah, and I love him even more now that he has so much love from fans in general! I knew he was popular, but I didn't really expect him to win the Heroes poll, let alone have the most combined votes of any character! We like Ike alright!

I hope my luck is shitty now in preparation for being so lucky that I draw all three Ikes right away. lol That'd be amazing.