Platonic Pairings

bethany81707

10 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Drunk!Shinon is the best Shinon, hands down. Too bad we never get to see much of him, lol.

Definitely. I don't mind debating with people (and I even enjoy it). I can see evidence for both sides of the argument, which I like. A lot of the fun is seeing other points of view, imo.

Just pointing it out that if Elincia falls in battle with Geoffrey also in the same battle, he'll cry out that "life would be pointless" without her. Sorry, I just had to.. :P:

Yeah, drunk Shinon was hilarious omg. And even more hilarious is that Ike didn't understand that he was drunk, omigosh Ike. How sheltered were you?! XD (he didn't know what laguz were at first either) I mean, your dad has drinking listed as a hobby in the art book too!

Oh yes, exactly. Sometimes it hurts...I mean, when I first found out about Geoffrey and Elincia having a paired ending and Ike and Elincia didn't I almost felt some heartbreak. It's silly, but I just loved the latter pairing so much...well... I know, I put too much heart into pairings sometimes. Most of the time, I actually don't invest in a pairing as much as I have in Ike and Elincia. In fact, they're the only pairing to get as much attention from me as they have. But being as upset I was about them not having an ending was and still is silly...could never help it. But debates are fun sometimes too, if they remain nice and civil. I agree, it's nice to know the other side. :)

I know about Geoffrey saying that, that just adds to the theory that he might've had a one-sided crush to me. lol I also feel like it means he could be emotionally fragile and susceptible to things like depression and suicidal thoughts. Keyword COULD, though. Nothing is confirmed. It's just a headcanon.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I know, but given that we see Elincia do this with Ike and not with Geoffrey at any point (nor are they hinted to have done this) [...].

That one's easy to explain, to be honest. It's the final scene of the game and Ike is the main character. ;)

I personally read literally every conversation Ike has as completely platonic from his part. We have Aimee crushing on him, obviously, and mayyybe Elincia (in PoR) and Soren (in both games) showing interest in more than friendship, but I simply cannot see any romantic feelings on Ike's part in any scene in either game. A strong sense of loyalty to his friends and companions (possibly shown the most with Shinon of all people when Ike insists on re-recruiting him despite everything), but I really can't see any signs of infatuation in his dialogue.

23 minutes ago, ping said:

That one's easy to explain, to be honest. It's the final scene of the game and Ike is the main character. ;)

I personally read literally every conversation Ike has as completely platonic from his part. We have Aimee crushing on him, obviously, and mayyybe Elincia (in PoR) and Soren (in both games) showing interest in more than friendship, but I simply cannot see any romantic feelings on Ike's part in any scene in either game. A strong sense of loyalty to his friends and companions (possibly shown the most with Shinon of all people when Ike insists on re-recruiting him despite everything), but I really can't see any signs of infatuation in his dialogue.

That doesn't mean they HAD to hold hands though. IS simply chose for them to for some reason.

I think Soren is a big maybe, not a definite. He's socially awkward as pointed out before, and seems to just have an irrational obsession with Ike, not a romantic one.

But yeah, Ike is a tough one. I feel like he doesn't understand what romantic feelings are. I mean, he can tell if someone else is in love with someone (as noted in his A support with Titania, he picked up on her crush on Greil), but when it comes to feelings like these involving himself? He seems clueless. He doesn't seem to get what Shinon means when he accuses Ike of being in love with Elincia, and he doesn't pick up at all that Aimee is hitting on him until she tells him, and Aimee herself points out in RD that Ike wouldn't know of her feelings if she didn't tell them outright. :P

Believe me, he has been the biggest challenge for me in terms of realistically writing a character to fall in love, get married, and have children. I think I have a solid idea of what kind of father he'd be, but beyond that...yeah, big guessing game. lol

Edited by Anacybele

50 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, drunk Shinon was hilarious omg. And even more hilarious is that Ike didn't understand that he was drunk, omigosh Ike. How sheltered were you?! XD (he didn't know what laguz were at first either) I mean, your dad has drinking listed as a hobby in the art book too!

There can be only one answer (other than main character density)- Greil could handle his liquor like a champ! No wonder Shinon respects him! (Gatrie on the other hand is just pathetic- two mugs and he's three sheets to the wind.) Probably used to compete to see who was most "steadfast" with Tauroneo, Bryce, and Lanvega.

I'd just like to point out that Seth had much of the same attitudes as Geoffrey. Granted, Eirika doesn't really have someone like Ike. (Well... I suppose Ephraim fits the bill, but Eirika/Ephraim isn't nearly as popular a romantic one).

Canas x Bartre is usually my go-to support for Canas, haha (though honestly all of Canas' supports are pretty entertaining). Personal biases aside, Canas x Pent is probably the best just for them fanboying over each other. Nothing tops that lmao.

Tiki x Nowi is another one I really like, wish they'd gotten to support in the game.

Also gonna say Gregor x Nowi sorrynotsorry grandparent shippers Gregor feels like a better father figure to Nowi (something she sorely needs lmao) than... uhh... anything ELSE he could be (except just buds. That's fine by me too lol).

Henry x Ricken is a good friendship as well IMO, and Tharja x Libra (shipped or not doesn't matter to me but either way I like their interactions). Probably lots of other good platonic friendships from Awakening but it's hard to remember them all at the moment.

(gay Ike x Soren and Raven x Lucius all the way fight me ya homophobes)

Edited by BANRYU

This topic got really intense for a while and was really interesting to read. (I totally would have loved to see Elincia either remain single and become a crazy awesome queen without the threat of a king overshadowing her or have her make a political marriage to strengthen her country/make amends after those messy wars. It’d be super cool if she married a laguz...though the backlash would probably lead to another war.)

As far as platonic pairings go, I'd certainly love to see more, especially from the newer games. I absolutely adore reading about bromances and..."girlmances?" (IDK if the latter is actually a thing.) People are just afraid of getting close to other people because they assume it will end in romance.

That being said, I'm usually open to most couples because there aren’t really any ships I would die for. If someone writes them well romantically, cool. If someone writes them well platonically, cool. (That doesn’t mean I don’t have my preferences.) For example: Dorothy and Saul have a hilarious support. I could easily see them being a married couple, but I could also see them being master and retainer. Saleh and Myrrh could probably be written romantically. They have a pretty sweet support, but I think it’s more powerful if you view their bond as a strong friendship instead of a romance. I also kind of like the idea of keeping Odin, Selena, and Laslow all platonic as well. I always feel kind of sad if I marry Selena to one or the other. Suddenly one of the poor guys becomes a 3rd wheel.

Sometimes I think my desire for a platonic relationship stems from a preference for another pairing. XD Like Seth x Eirika is great...but if I had the choice between pairing Eirika with Seth or Lyon, I’d choose to make the former a platonic relationship. (Plus it’s fun turning clichés upside down. Princess x Knight? It’s been done. Princess x Rebel? It’s been done. Princess x Villain? Lots of interesting potential here....)

16 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I also kind of like the idea of keeping Odin, Selena, and Laslow all platonic as well. I always feel kind of sad if I marry Selena to one or the other. Suddenly one of the poor guys becomes a 3rd wheel.

Yeah... You know, I paired Selena to Odin my first run through of Conquest, and never thought about how amazingly awkward any interactions between those three would be subsequently until I read your post. Well at least Laslow wouldn't be too lonely because I married my avatar to him anyway

Oh well. At least it gave me an amazing, speedy and crit-monster Ophelia!

16 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Princess x Villain? Lots of interesting potential here....)

That would actually be an interesting angle for an FE game, with the main villain and the protagonist being romantic interests and/or former lovers. Would cause a lot more heartache and hurt feelings, I'm sure...though maybe it might mean that we'd go overboard on the angst, on the other hand.

Edited by Extrasolar

31 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Yeah... You know, I paired Selena to Odin my first run through of Conquest, and never thought about how amazingly awkward any interactions between those three would be subsequently until I read your post. Well at least Laslow wouldn't be too lonely because I married my avatar to him anyway

Oh well. At least it gave me an amazing, speedy and crit-monster Ophelia.

Laslow: All right guys. We’re in a strange new land. We need to stick together, and-

Odin: Whoops. We made a child. Sorry ‘bout that.

Selena: I’m sure you’ll find someone. Or not.

Laslow: *forever alone*

I think Laslow would take “third-wheeldom” harder than Odin. He’d would probably include himself in the honeymoon just to narrate. But I do like the idea of these three remaining best friends, starting their separate lives, and still staying in each other’s.

32 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

That would actually be an interesting angle for an FE game, with the main villain and the protagonist being romantic interests and/or former lovers. Would cause a lot more heartache and hurt feelings, I'm sure...though maybe it might mean that we'd go overboard on the angst, on the other hand.

I love it when the villain has a close tie to the protagonist. And I’m not talking about flimsy blood-ties either. *coughValidarcough* A strong, emotional relationship regardless of blood-ties. Even though Lyon’s relationship with the twins is technically platonic, it’s still a strong friendship with a history together which adds something extra to the plot. But I’d be all for lover versus lover, or best friend versus best friend (something of that nature).

43 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

That would actually be an interesting angle for an FE game, with the main villain and the protagonist being romantic interests and/or former lovers. Would cause a lot more heartache and hurt feelings, I'm sure...though maybe it might mean that we'd go overboard on the angst, on the other han

Technically Eirika and Lyon kind of have that relationship (though it's more one-sided on Lyon's side).